Dan & Phil Part 89: So what now?

Our two favourite full time internet nerds who never go outside!
Susanisnotafish
flower crown
Pronouns: She/her

knq wrote: Thu Aug 22, 2019 3:53 am What does Dan say at the end of phil’s IG story? I keep hearing “tent bant” after Phil says “have a good night” but that... doesn’t make sense.
I hear “tank bant”.
"Rub those freckles all over me!" --Daniel Howell
glitterintheair
phillluminati
Pronouns: she/her

Those fish stories warmed my heart so much, I really hope this domestic content is something we can expect often because I'm living for it. Also I can't stop laughing at the fact that getting a fish is supposed to be Phil's new hobby but Dan is the one who researched for it and put his heart into it. It's so damn cute.
I'm a winter flower underground, always thirsty for summer rain.
noodlebum
flower crown

Susanisnotafish wrote: Thu Aug 22, 2019 4:01 am
knq wrote: Thu Aug 22, 2019 3:53 am What does Dan say at the end of phil’s IG story? I keep hearing “tent bant” after Phil says “have a good night” but that... doesn’t make sense.
I hear “tank bant”.
Think this is what he was going for but it came out a bit wrong.

Also what was that domestic overload just as I went to bed? I think the instastory compilation for 21st August will be my new favourite video of 2019. If the only joint content we're getting from now on is all about being fish dad's, I'm not too mad :happytears:
kavat
pastel persona

God they are adorable. I'm so soft for how excited they are, and also how they always go 100%. They sure don't know how to half ass something and that is so admirable.

And I love idb, of course there are people here who know about fish and aquascaping (learned a new word there, thnx)!
thatspecificboob
smol bean

plinthofmylife wrote: Wed Aug 21, 2019 10:02 am I 100% feel Phil's feelings about "not having a life." Yes, like everything he says, it comes from a position of privilege. But he's in his 30's, he's from a town where the cost of living is much lower than London, he's likely seeing lots of friends with kids and houses and pets (including other youtubers his age). Sometimes you have to step back and assess what you've sacrificed to build your career.

Yes, it's a position of privilege to be in control of your own business and schedule and be relatively financially secure (I'm not as secure as him) but the toll that being completely focused on your career takes on your personal life is not to be underestimated, not to mention the stress of doing things without a roadmap (there's no uni degree for "youtube empire management").

I don't think that folks are giving enough credit to the sheer amount of work DNP have put in - they traveled for over half of last year - and their houseplants died because they didn't have enough friends to ask to take care of them. Phil went to the hospital after passing out from work stress - and that was over a MONTH after he got back from tour. They flew 12+ hours to Argentina for a 2 hour event. Like, that shit is hard on your body and really doesn't leave a lot of "non work" time.
This post is pretty much how I reacted to what Phil said - I think he's probably comparing his life to that of his old school/uni friends, maybe cousins or other extended family who might have made more conventional career choices, stayed in aeeas with lower cost of living and have hit more of the life milestones like mortgage/marriage/pets/babies. I think he's someone with quite traditional views and would think of 'the good life' as modelled on his parents' example rather than or as much as his peers.

My take from DML2 was that they really are working almost all the time, which yes is partly about wanting to maximise earnings but also because they do really enjoy their work and are so inspired by creativity and new ideas that it's hard to put in boundaries to make room for other things in life. And as mentioned above, the stress of trying to carve out a completely new type of career path can't be underestimated.

So for me it didn't come across as privileged to say that he'd like to take more time to focus on his personal life, and I'm loving our first glimpses into their new lives as adoptive parents to a new fish - I guess there are fish rescue programmes like they have for cats or dogs? Never knew that!
noodlebum
flower crown

You can definitely adopt fish, like you can lizards, birds etc. :) They're so proud of their mossy creations haha, it's good because it's being creative and researching things, which they obviously like, but not for work. Good to see the sort of 'hobbies' Phil was thinking of in DML2 that he was missing (being a fish dad :love1: )
onemoresock
drama llama
Pronouns: she/they/he

I can't believe it's been hours and I'm still emotional over a fish.
*blows kiss* for dop and pop
noodlebum
flower crown

Do you think they have a photo of the fish they want to adopt on their phones, which they wistfully look at every now and then? :lol: Imagine Phil has it as his phone background, complete with a heart border :loveeyes:

(p.s. I vote we need a Betta fish smilie)
phandemonium
drama llama

I think my favorite thing is that they didn't just bring a fish home with the intention to figure it out as they go but that they put in the effort to research and got all the tools and really put in the work to prepare suitable space and living conditions for their new pet. Responsible pet ownership. Dan and Phil are the role models we need.
formlessblobsunite
drama llama

OK I'm down to normal hype levels about this fish business and I've regathered my composure. no kidding (but no shade), these stories have more replay value than some of their videos. some highlights I wish to yell about (maybe that first sentence was a blatant lie) :

1) the endless "we", which, of course, is short for "we as an actual married couple who does absolutely everything together"
"Phil has made a big life decision without consulting me first" - "WE'RE ADOPTING A FISH"
"I wanna get shrimp" - "YEAH WE'RE GONNA GET SHRIMP"
2) Phil being a fucking blessing
"If the fish doesn't swim through that hole, I'm gonna sue it"
the little laugh after "it was like birthing a cow backwards"
3) the pride they have for their creation and each other's contribution (deservedly so, it looks awesome)
"Head of design Dan, assistant me"
"That's my favourite part, that tiny cute moss ball I shoved into that crack"
"These I fully fingered down into the soil" - "You did, actually! You planted that grass, Phil!"
"This goes all the way to the top!" - "You did that! Craft!"
"Show the moss log!"
"If the fish doesn't appreciate it, I'll be sad" - "I appreciate it!"
:rainbowtears:
noodlebum
flower crown

The Instastories yesterday were so glorious they actually got timestamps with quotes, I love it. And yes, them bigging each other up about their craftsmanship was lovely
plinthofmylife
janice from the shop

I love that instastories make them feel like they can share this kinda stuff without it being a full-on collab video.

I'm still tender on the inside from these stories, 16 hours later!
flarequake
not an airport stalker
Pronouns: She/her

The whole thing made me smile when I remembered it just after waking up this morning. Seeing some of Phil’s comments again reminds me that they elicited a mumsy “Philip!” at the time, pure filth :roll: Their praise of each other’s craft skills is adorable. I’m proud of Dan’s handiness, not sure we’ve seen them use a saw before (still no need for Phil’s adult-now powerdrill, though).
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

Oh look, free serotonin!

kavat
pastel persona

And now playing with dogs?! What is this universe
bluecaterpillar
pumpkin spice pumpkin cookie

alittledizzy wrote: Thu Aug 22, 2019 2:45 pm Oh look, free serotonin!

<3 <3

don't get your hopes up about the fish swimming through the rock archway, phil! i had goldfish for most of my childhood, they had a bunch of different landscape features and ornaments in their tank and i never caught them swimming through things like that :( maybe i just didn't spend enough time watching them swimming around.

also, dan's accent has really been influenced by phil's, hasn't it? he doesn't sound aggressively southern anymore, i especially noticed it with 'you planted that grass, phil'. truly on their way to merging into one person.

edit: and now dog content!! ahhhh
there’s not a star in heaven that we can’t reach
phandemonium
drama llama

So this is what the mysterious dog-related follows were about!
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

oh nooooooooooooo
nooooooooooooooooooo
what are they dooooooooooooooooing

i'm not gonna survive

:happytears:
noodlebum
flower crown

omggggg the dogs.... the tiny puppy yawn :undertaledog: :dog: :dogue: :love2: what are they doing bringing all this domestic dad content all at once
blahblahblah8
pumpkin spice pumpkin cookie

Omg I’m there’s been so much good content lately and it’s all so cute, my heart can’t take it!
Megancita75
ar·tic·u·late

So is this related to Make a Wish work?
LtrllySusan
lava lamp

My Instagram is acting up, who are the people he tagged? Is this a Make-a-Wish?

Also... "Oh dear" :happytears:
onceinaugust
rainbow nerd

:happytears: I just watched that puppy yawn while at work and made the most undignified noise ever.
Come on boys, a two week old puppy won't be ready to be re-homed for another month and a half at the least, that's plenty of time to get fish parenting practice before taking on a dog!
"You loved it, you want to do it more."
"Alright"
noodlebum
flower crown

Yeah it's make-a-wish :)
Okay.... so once made, today's instastory compilation can be added to yesterdays for top domestic cuteness content :rainbowtears:
kavat
pastel persona

Dan's Vidcon Now thing is out, but it's mostly just a spon for his merch lol