Dan & Phil Part 89: So what now?

Our two favourite full time internet nerds who never go outside!
obsessivelymoody
emo goose
Pronouns: she/her

I'm so fucking unbelievably soft for them adopting a fish!!!! I like that Phil was obviously serious about keeping a fish alive before a dog and it's just so sweet!!! And seeing them all happy and excited together in the same frame just warms my heart. Sometimes a family is two dads and their betta fish :rainbowtears:
nicky1388
spork

this is the kind of content i hope we continue to get. just easy little glimpses into their lives while they pursue their big dreams and goals.

i love that this is a hobby that they're going to share and i think it says a lot going forward. like, "if we can keep this fish alive and happy, then maybe we can do the same with a dog". i also think that this really isn't so much a hobby for Phil as a pet, and more a hobby for Dan because he seems like he'd like this kind of thing.

also, all the "we" going on and just genuine smiles. i'm in love.
firsttimeposter
living flop

dan and phil adopted a pet:’)

also I’ve been thinking a lot about the dynamic of dnp and them being Absolute Soulmates (but I don’t wanna spoil the talk about the fish so I’ve put it under a spoiler)
something I have been wondering for the past two months, ever since they came out (which pretty much made me believe in love lmao), is that they.. have been living together for 8 years! that is a whole lot of time to spend with someone, and while living together spending all their free time together, they also work together and vacation together and go to phil’s parents together and so on... as an 18 year old who gets exhausted trying to think of conversation with people all day in school, this truly baffles me. so I’ve tried finding a couple alike dnp who work + live + have spend yeaars together, and here I found brian and meredith from starkid who have been together for, I presume, many, many years, and whom work together both in starkid productions and at an actual office. and they just got married! and they still laugh together and watch movies with their couple-friends and so on and honestly? it makes me feel that dnp might also just be This Kind Of Soulmates where they could never get tired of each other’s company. it also makes me feel much better about all the changes that are currently happening - separate brands and such, as brian and meredith have this same arrangement (kind of). anyways, sorry for this tangent lmao. I’m quite emotional about dnp’s companionship rn.
formlessblobsunite
drama llama

I wanna see Dan smile like that always and forever :') it's so fricking domestic and sweet and the "we" kills me a little and just uhhh refer to my signature for more feelings on this
:rainbowtears:
phanniemegan
tol bean

Dans insta story is so cute!! I’m so happy they’re getting a fish, and even happier they’re doing it properly, learning how to cycle the tank properly etc. it makes me cringe so hard when people buy fish and just plop them in a tank that’s too small filled with water straight from the tap :cry:
noodlebum
flower crown

Am feeling soft so watched the official cutest video on the planet and thought would share the cuteness so we can all feel extra soft today

edit: Also nice tank lads, am intrigued by the image of the small saw with a hand (with a plaster on) laid forlornly next to it, and the wee little watering can :lol:
Phanshy
cheeky #spon

I predict fish socks in the future.🐡🐠 🐟
bantsandpheels
phillion/danosaur <//3

Cute as this all is, the idea of rearing a fish gives me so much anxiety... My dad used to have fishes too and I've seen so many fishes go belly up before their time should have been up. And it wasn't as if he just plopped the fish into raw tap water, he got them fancy filters, special chemicals for fish tanks and whole multi-step procedures for changing the water and shit. So I'd like to think he'd done his research.

Basically, I am glad that Dan is properly reading up on how to care for the fish, and I hope the fish doesn't die despite that.

I have only seen too many fishes on their deathbeds in my lifetime 😭
obsessivelymoody
emo goose

I can't handle this domestic fish adopting content. It's too cute. They're killing me. Idk how I'm going to cope when it's a dog ;_;
flarequake
not an airport stalker
Pronouns: She/her

Oh, Phil’s ig stories. We knew they’d have one of the best looked after pets, but seeing is believing. Wow.

I also hope the fish does well. I follow someone on tumblr who had two fish die after not long and they also did their research. Until I heard of Phil’s family goldfish Frank still being alive after decades, I didn’t realise a goldfish could live more than 2 or 3 years, but they can if looked after well, which seemingly most aren’t, so here’s hoping without wanting to be pessimistic either.
Secretstanner
truth bomb

I’m so soft over all these fish IGS wtf! Can they please keep this kind of content going? PLEASE if this becomes the new normal I’ll be happy. This is the type of content I signed up for. Also I sent the stories to my friend because I thought they were cute, fully forgetting she was a supervisor in a pet store and was in charge of looking after the fish. Her reply was “ OMFG IM SO PROUD, MY ANIMAL CARE INSTRUCTIONS HAVE BEEN SATISFIED BY HIS EFFORT TO PROVED AN APPROPRIATE ENVIRONMENT FOR HIS FIGHTER FISH’ so I’m guessing they’re doing a good job so far. Well done boys. <3 also why does it make it 100% cuter when they say they are adopting a fish? Like I’d would just saying buying but adopting is :happytears:
Catallena
classy cat lady
classy cat lady

I'm literally experiencing shortness of breath after that stupid cute aquarium tour on Phil's Instastories. They we're so happy and giggly and Dan was hyping up all of Phil's contributions to the tank. :love2:

I hate them. How dare they? I love them. Please keep these type of semi-regular domestic Instastories coming. :happytears:
Twitter *•.(★).•* Tumblr
animad
squish

my god they're so fuckin extra i love them so much

my only two hopes are that the fish actually lives for a decent amount of time and that they give it a good name, if they name it susan or something equally predictable i will unstan so hard (i mean i wouldn't but you get my intent lmao)
i can see it being something from a video game, or a tv show tbh
hello9217
flower crown

My sister got a fish when she was a kid as a present so I don’t know much about them, but I have never heard of adopting one. Is that a real thing? I’ve heard of going to a pet shop and buying one. And then they said in the stories that they already have one picked out but someone else could get it? I didn’t know fish were that coveted
dogsaremybestfriends
squish

That fish tank is like a palace. :lol: It's lovely to see how carefully they've planned everything and the work they've put into it all. Does anyone think a dog will be in the near future or is that a longer-term plan perhaps?

(Hi, everyone, by the way. :shyhug: I just wanted to say that I'm new here. I have posted in the Introductions thread. I hope it's okay to just start posing here. :shrug: )
Catallena
classy cat lady
classy cat lady

he says, tweeting from the twitter web app

Welcome dogsaremybestfriends :welcome:
Twitter *•.(★).•* Tumblr
masterofgeometry
squish

noodlebum wrote: Wed Aug 21, 2019 8:33 pm Am feeling soft so watched the official cutest video on the planet and thought would share the cuteness so we can all feel extra soft today

edit: Also nice tank lads, am intrigued by the image of the small saw with a hand (with a plaster on) laid forlornly next to it, and the wee little watering can :lol:
Those are tools for aquascaping! Basically landscaping for tanks. The saw may be for sizing bits of wood and the teensy watering can is used so you don't mess up your gravel/dirt/planting substrate when adding water.

I'm kinda thrilled to know that Dan shares one of my more niche hobbies! :D
obsessivelymoody
emo goose

I think them saying adopting is purposeful, since it's nicer and less othering than saying buying. Because I'm quite sure you don't actually adopt fish lmao. But now I'm thinking about them going to a pet store and looking at fish together and choosing the one they liked the best. Sigh. Big, loving sigh :happytears:
Cricket
tol bean

I’d also say that adopting rather than buying almost has firmer ‘living life together’ connotations? The word adopting puts you in mind of taking equal responsibility for the life of another creature that sounds very couple-y whereas buying doesn’t quite have the same implications. I think that they’re getting a fish for their own reasons but I think they’re choosing to share it with us in the way that they are sharing it as 1) a part of being more open and 2) a way to ease the audience into the idea that this is the new normal from here on in. They make joint life decisions together and take joint responsibilities for things and they are not going to make any effort to conceal this from us and for one am very here for it
Phanshy
cheeky #spon

I thought they meant they were getting the fish from someone who couldn't keep it because when Dan talked about getting shrimp he said they weren't adopting them.
Susanisnotafish
flower crown
Pronouns: She/her

Cricket wrote: Wed Aug 21, 2019 11:36 pm I’d also say that adopting rather than buying almost has firmer ‘living life together’ connotations? The word adopting puts you in mind of taking equal responsibility for the life of another creature that sounds very couple-y whereas buying doesn’t quite have the same implications. I think that they’re getting a fish for their own reasons but I think they’re choosing to share it with us in the way that they are sharing it as 1) a part of being more open and 2) a way to ease the audience into the idea that this is the new normal from here on in. They make joint life decisions together and take joint responsibilities for things and they are not going to make any effort to conceal this from us and for one am very here for it
This is exactly what I was thinking! I remember in past liveshows Dan was always distancing himself from Phil’s plants and Simon and I was thinking he was trying not to seem too much like a couple.
"Rub those freckles all over me!" --Daniel Howell
obsessivelymoody
emo goose

Phanshy wrote: Wed Aug 21, 2019 11:46 pm I thought they meant they were getting the fish from someone who couldn't keep it because when Dan talked about getting shrimp he said they weren't adopting them.
Oh yeah that makes sense. A lot nicer to think about too, I think. I was probably being too silly and reaching in my post lol. I do agree with what Cricket said so much about it too. It's all very nice tbh.
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

obsessivelymoody wrote: Wed Aug 21, 2019 11:57 pm
Phanshy wrote: Wed Aug 21, 2019 11:46 pm I thought they meant they were getting the fish from someone who couldn't keep it because when Dan talked about getting shrimp he said they weren't adopting them.
Oh yeah that makes sense. A lot nicer to think about too, I think. I was probably being too silly and reaching in my post lol. I do agree with what Cricket said so much about it too. It's all very nice tbh.
Huh, I thought Dan just meant that the shrimp weren't going to be 'pets' the way the fish was. But that could make sense, too.
sugar
eclipse shirt
Pronouns: they/them

i also was under the impression that they're getting the fish from a friend or someone else who couldn't continue to care for it, as they said they were rescuing it.

either way, i'm so here for this kind of content if it's what we can expect to get going forward. obviously i like real video joint content but domestic shit like this can keep me going for a while.
knq
lava lamp

What does Dan say at the end of phil’s IG story? I keep hearing “tent bant” after Phil says “have a good night” but that... doesn’t make sense.

As if they weren’t cute enough, they’re adopting a specific beta fish that they hope won’t get adopted by someone else first. Those adorable bastards.

I’m guessing they actually are rescuing/adopting it somehow from someone who’s giving up their fish, maybe through an aquarium store, and the shrimp don’t need rescuing but they want shrimp anyway. It’s one of the few other animals you can put in a beta tank so that does make sense.

I have the same siphon they have! It has little plastic bits so you can’t siphon up your fish. Good choice Dan and Phil.

Not too sure about getting all the way through the nitrogen cycle without a fish in the tank. Isn’t that like a month long venture? I had a beta fish for two years and tbh I don’t think I ever got the nitrogen cycle right.