Dan & Phil Part 90: Fish Daddies

Our two favourite full time internet nerds who never go outside!
Catallena
classy cat lady
classy cat lady

knq wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2019 1:07 am
alittledizzy wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2019 12:52 am alright, dan
I was wondering whether all the unrelated tweets about not being famous anymore, flopping, etc because a notification (apparently) didn’t go out would be annoying to him. Looks like a solid ‘yep.’

Beans = the new spoons
Oh wow I hadn't even looked at those yet. Stan Twitter is so annoying :roll:
Twitter *•.(★).•* Tumblr
noodlebum
flower crown

Ahhhh why are people so cringe, am getting second hand embarrassment from it all :faint:
kavat
pastel persona
Pronouns: she/her

Yep, he definitely gives more than we know. It reminds me of that tumblr post about wanting to be rich just so you can pay off every GoFundMe you see. I wouldn't be surprised if they do that every now and then.

Also yikes people are rude.
flarequake
not an airport stalker
Pronouns: She/her

Heh, I waited all day for the forum to pick up and this is the crap that finally happens :roll: do people have any effing sense in this phandom (no, or I’d find something better to do :roll: ) I love Leslie’s reply that telling them kindly with sass is a parent move, dad Dan rises ;) I’m a bit miffed too that I’ve been so inactive in GW2 that I completely missed that event, there’s been a festival of the wind thing recently I think, maybe it was about that just saw it was a raid, too much for me anyway, but the festival is fun.
Birdie
blobfish
Pronouns: they/them

dontpanic wrote: Sun Aug 25, 2019 10:42 pm
Ataraxia25 wrote: Sun Aug 25, 2019 7:04 pm Honestly the fact that Dan donated money that will go to lgbtq+ charities really touched me. It's not the first time they donated money but it's the first time i'm THAT emo bc of it.
I love him so much.
tbh I think it's because we very likely could have never found out about it? it's only because the streamer noticed who he was and tweeted... meaning Dan probably does this more often than we know
:rainbowtears:

Also good for him that he told people off. He's right, we don't need to know everything he does. And I guess he's not really comfortable with having people praise him for donating? There's probably a reason he did it "in secret" and didn't tell everyone himself.
Mia
spork

I've been in London the past few days and I've only just caught up so sorry for referring to old posts :?

1) I think I was at National Portrait Gallery same day as Deppy if it was there when the fan met them :shock:
2) I hope they get chance to see the Kiss My Genders exhibition as I think they'd love it :prideheart2:
3) I've been loving the domestic content :betta:
4) I really need Dan's comments on Drag Race UK. I'm suspecting he will be supporting Blu Hydrangea :wavingflag:
stufflizloves
living flop

Is it odd that I get warm fuzzies from seeing Dan like Sam Smith’s speedo selfies? Linked below (but I don’t know how to properly link it so that dan’s little face shows up, saying he liked it):
I think mostly it makes me happy that he seems to be intentional on how he navigates the wife, diverse queer world (ie, stanning ContraPoints/Natalie Wynn, supporting furry gamers.) Basically, I just think it’s refreshing to see someone with a platform that isn’t nonstop drooling over Shawn Mendes.
Last edited by rizzo on Mon Aug 26, 2019 2:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: fixed tag
stufflizloves
living flop

(sorry for the spam but I literally cannot figure out why my post is up there three times. mods, can you help??? I am dumb.)
Last edited by rizzo on Mon Aug 26, 2019 2:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: this is all set :)
Megancita75
ar·tic·u·late

Hank Green uploaded a Q&A with John Green to his side channel recently, and their dynamic really reminds of DnP, both in how they make each other laugh and in the contrast between their personalities; but what I really found interesting is that they both said they are happy being less Internet famous now and that they would both tell their 18 y/o selves not be famous. I wonder if DnP will feel the same way in 10 years.
Scout
squish
Pronouns: She/Her

Megancita75 wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2019 1:58 pm Hank Green uploaded a Q&A with John Green to his side channel recently, and their dynamic really reminds of DnP, both in how they make each other laugh and in the contrast between their personalities; but what I really found interesting is that they both said they are happy being less Internet famous now and that they would both tell their 18 y/o selves not be famous. I wonder if DnP will feel the same way in 10 years.
I definitely see where you’re coming from comparing them to DnP, especially with the editing style and mentions of dabbing. I wouldn’t doubt that DnP currently feel that way about their fame. I think they love being able to have a positive influence on their fans but that they don’t particularly enjoy some of the other things that come with being famous. But I just can’t see them doing anything else. It just seems like their careers have played out in such a way that was meant for them, like fate or something. Even though I don’t necessarily believe in fate.
:lesbianflag:
Phantasy
woodland creature

stufflizloves wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2019 1:02 pm Is it odd that I get warm fuzzies from seeing Dan like Sam Smith’s speedo selfies? Linked below (but I don’t know how to properly link it so that dan’s little face shows up, saying he liked it):
I think mostly it makes me happy that he seems to be intentional on how he navigates the wife, diverse queer world (ie, stanning ContraPoints/Natalie Wynn, supporting furry gamers.) Basically, I just think it’s refreshing to see someone with a platform that isn’t nonstop drooling over Shawn Mendes.
I agree... I’ve had similar thoughts to that effect. His likes (even before coming out) are mostly a celebration of queer culture (and all the diversity therein), but never really cross into “thirst” category. You mention Shawn Mendes which is funny because when the mytruth mycalvins campaign came out and Shawn got the lion share of the attention, Dan actually liked Kevin Abstract’s post acknowledging his (much smaller) role instead.

I’d love to see some thirst likes, but obviously his approach is much more meaningful and I’d like to think at the end of the day he’s only thirsty for one other. ;)
LtrllySusan
lava lamp

I don't know what kind of Twitter drama was up with Dan tweeting that guy about Guild Wars, but how is it invasive to talk about that but not about his likes?
stufflizloves
living flop

LtrllySusan wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2019 6:51 pm I don't know what kind of Twitter drama was up with Dan tweeting that guy about Guild Wars, but how is it invasive to talk about that but not about his likes?
Hmm, can only answer for myself.. but the line I see is including Dan (tagging him) on the discussion and replying publicly to something Dan seems to enjoy as escapism from his public "job."

Discussing his (public) social media likes on a forum intended for phandom (not for the creators) does not seem invasive to me.
sonicgreen
woodland creature

stufflizloves wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2019 6:58 pm
LtrllySusan wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2019 6:51 pm I don't know what kind of Twitter drama was up with Dan tweeting that guy about Guild Wars, but how is it invasive to talk about that but not about his likes?
Hmm, can only answer for myself.. but the line I see is including Dan (tagging him) on the discussion and replying publicly to something Dan seems to enjoy as escapism from his public "job."

Discussing his (public) social media likes on a forum intended for phandom (not for the creators) does not seem invasive to me.
Yeah I definitely think its about replying (and then "mentioning" whoever dan was tweeting at first) that he could find kind of embarrassing (if thats the right word?), like when he used to recommend something in a liveshow and people would flood the comments with "dan sent me here XD"

his snarky reply on twitter did make me laugh though
anna_begins
pumpkin spice pumpkin cookie

The issue with the tweet was that people weren’t responding or interacting with it in any way that was even a little bit relevant to what it was about or had anything to do with
the person Dan was talking to. People were posting jokes that Dan wasn’t famous anymore because the tweet had hardly any likes, that twitter was homophobic for not giving them a notification that he tweeted, that Dan was a loser for watching streams & playing video games instead of uploading, etc. all while the other person was still tagged. And while I “get” that when you’re a popular online celebrity where your fame is all based on social media interactions it’s expected that fans while try to get your attention whenever they can, the reaction yesterday from some came across as (unintentionally) disrespectful to the person Dan was tweeting at & also to Dan. I feel like proper twitter etiquette (I know it’s not that deep) gets forgotten sometimes in fandoms because of the excitement when the person we stan comes online so I’m glad Dan gave us the little reminder to consider what the tweet is about & who it’s for so that the interactions will be more relevant to the conversation.
bluecaterpillar
pumpkin spice pumpkin cookie

i also very much appreciated dan's twitter reply.

people were just using his fanboy tweet to some gw2 person (lol can you tell i know nothing about that game) as a place to shout 'notice me' at him and roast him. that's got to be kind of embarrassing to have his fanbase doing that and @'ing the gw2 person when he was just posting a twitter mention about a personal interest which was in no way aimed at his followers. i mean i know stan twitter has no boundaries but basic social courtesy doesn't become irrelevant when you're online y'all (general 'you', just to be clear)

and i feel like his twitter likes are different to his mentions because phannies don't usually spam stuff in his likes with mentions of dan. both d and p use their likes to interact with fans as well, eg liking fanart and #thankyoudanandphil tweets. whereas crashing his mentions like earlier is the equivalent of loudly interrupting someone else's conversation - rude and kinda cringe.
there’s not a star in heaven that we can’t reach
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

The fact that we're getting no more fish updates yet makes me wonder if they really are doing the six week nitrogen cycle.
Susanisnotafish
flower crown
Pronouns: She/her

alittledizzy wrote: Tue Aug 27, 2019 3:45 am The fact that we're getting no more fish updates yet makes me wonder if they really are doing the six week nitrogen cycle.
I have an optimistic theory and a pessimistic theory- either Phil is going to make a video about the fish adoption (dare we hope even ft. Dan) or someone else adopted the fish and they’re back to square one. :shrug:

I hope for the sake of our thread name it’s the former. :betta: :deppy:
"Rub those freckles all over me!" --Daniel Howell
dancy
procrastinator

alittledizzy wrote: Tue Aug 27, 2019 3:45 am The fact that we're getting no more fish updates yet makes me wonder if they really are doing the six week nitrogen cycle.
I mean, Dan mentioned doing research about the nitrogen cycle and Phil said the fish would move in when the water's ready (which is what the cycle is for, to provide a healthy environment for the fish to live in) so that's the only thing that would make sense to me. However I do believe the duration of the cycle varies, so it could take a couple of weeks less or more than 6 weeks.
nicky1388
spork

Susanisnotafish wrote: Tue Aug 27, 2019 4:41 am
I have an optimistic theory and a pessimistic theory- either Phil is going to make a video about the fish adoption (dare we hope even ft. Dan) or someone else adopted the fish and they’re back to square one. :shrug:

I hope for the sake of our thread name it’s the former. :betta: :deppy:
if someone else did end up getting their fish, i don't think it renders fish adoption moot, i think they may just pick a different fish? i mean, i don't know about in the UK, but in the US, you can buy a beta for under $10. i know they're adopting the specific one they picked, but if it doesn't work out, maybe they'll just buy it. i don't think there is anything particular wrong with buying fish in the way that there is when buying a dog or cat.
susan2
rainbow nerd

alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

Ooh so if the merch promos are separate segments we do still have a longer Dan one coming, nice.

That video is edited so much, I wonder what all he said that they just clipped right out?
rizzo
unduly facetious
unduly facetious

Honestly... At this point it's gonna be so awkward if/when Dan and Phil get a dog and it's not a corgi.

Poor pupper will always feel like a second choice. :facepalm2:
plinthofmylife
janice from the shop

I am laughing at how much Phil had to lean down to reach the mic she was holding OVER her head.
rizzo wrote: Tue Aug 27, 2019 1:53 pm Honestly... At this point it's gonna be so awkward if/when Dan and Phil get a dog and it's not a corgi.

I’m imagining the pupper on the couch at the therapist “I know my daddies always wanted a corgi, and even though they shower me with affections and treats and walkies, I always felt they wish they had a more instagrammable doggo.”
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

plinthofmylife wrote: Tue Aug 27, 2019 1:59 pm I am laughing at how much Phil had to lean down to reach the mic she was holding OVER her head.
rizzo wrote: Tue Aug 27, 2019 1:53 pm Honestly... At this point it's gonna be so awkward if/when Dan and Phil get a dog and it's not a corgi.

I’m imagining the pupper on the couch at the therapist “I know my daddies always wanted a corgi, and even though they shower me with affections and treats and walkies, I always felt they wish they had a more instagrammable doggo.”
Why am I just imagining the dog sending in an email to Internet Support Group now?