Dan & Phil Part 90: Fish Daddies

Our two favourite full time internet nerds who never go outside!
lionandllama
squish

Popping in to leave this here:
Last edited by alittledizzy on Mon Sep 30, 2019 5:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: fixed twitter embed
knq
lava lamp
Pronouns: she/her

Heh, guess he answered that one by rejecting it--no, no updates on dapg for now.

I can't be sad when Phil's offering to hang out weekly on younow. I noticed Rose and Rosie are doing something special on younow in october as well, so I imagine they're offering some solid incentives to youtubers.
Ataraxia25
flower crown
Pronouns: they/them

GalaxyDarling wrote: Mon Sep 30, 2019 4:18 pm
flarequake wrote: Mon Sep 30, 2019 2:37 pm I’ve always thought Dan belongs on stage tbh. I’m not sure how much he’d be happy to write papers, though he loves learning all the things.
Yeah, Dan seems comfortable on stage, but not so much in crowds/gatherings of many people. Maybe his (mild) agoraphobia has a role in that. Remember how he said that he went to that first course, to the lecture hall, saw all those people there, and decided to sit at the back corner for the whole year. And what comes to his procrastination, I think the problem was that he wasn't motivated to study law. I think he would like human sciences much more.
I don't think Dan really wants to go back to uni.

Paradoxically, there is a difference between wanting to learn and going to uni. I think Dan truly loves learning in a general way, and on specific topics that he is really interested in and i don't think he could find that at uni.

Every country is different of course, but to me, uni is not a place where you learn but rather a place where you develop skills, which is not the same thing.

Anyway, it is clear that he would not physically go to uni but rather enroll for online classes.
:gayaf:
obsessivelymoody
emo goose

Ataraxia25 wrote: Mon Sep 30, 2019 6:41 pm
GalaxyDarling wrote: Mon Sep 30, 2019 4:18 pm
flarequake wrote: Mon Sep 30, 2019 2:37 pm I’ve always thought Dan belongs on stage tbh. I’m not sure how much he’d be happy to write papers, though he loves learning all the things.
Yeah, Dan seems comfortable on stage, but not so much in crowds/gatherings of many people. Maybe his (mild) agoraphobia has a role in that. Remember how he said that he went to that first course, to the lecture hall, saw all those people there, and decided to sit at the back corner for the whole year. And what comes to his procrastination, I think the problem was that he wasn't motivated to study law. I think he would like human sciences much more.
I don't think Dan really wants to go back to uni.

Paradoxically, there is a difference between wanting to learn and going to uni. I think Dan truly loves learning in a general way, and on specific topics that he is really interested in and i don't think he could find that at uni.

Every country is different of course, but to me, uni is not a place where you learn but rather a place where you develop skills, which is not the same thing.

Anyway, it is clear that he would not physically go to uni but rather enroll for online classes.
Agreed, I think Dan loves learning but uni isn't for everyone, and I think it definitely isn't for him. It obviously wasn't when he was younger, and I doubt that's changed now. I think Dan wants to focus on being an educator himself, anecdotally that is. That's what he does now pretty much anyway.
GalaxyDarling
pumpkin spice pumpkin cookie
Pronouns: he/him

Ataraxia25 wrote: Mon Sep 30, 2019 6:41 pm Every country is different of course, but to me, uni is not a place where you learn but rather a place where you develop skills, which is not the same thing.

I agree. Maybe it's more that I think some studies, online if not otherwise, would give Dan a goal/target to aim at in life, if and only if YouTubing is not what he wants anymore. It would give him something else to think about. Though most likely (hopefully) he will continue to post occasional videos.
obsessivelymoody wrote: Mon Sep 30, 2019 7:16 pm I think Dan wants to focus on being an educator himself, anecdotally that is. That's what he does now pretty much anyway.
If he studied (more) he could be an educator beyond his own experiences, though he clearly has self-learned a whole lot. I guess now he is thinking what role he is willing to take in this PCOU.
obsessivelymoody
emo goose

GalaxyDarling wrote: Mon Sep 30, 2019 7:31 pm
Ataraxia25 wrote: Mon Sep 30, 2019 6:41 pm Every country is different of course, but to me, uni is not a place where you learn but rather a place where you develop skills, which is not the same thing.

I agree. Maybe it's more that I think some studies, online if not otherwise, would give Dan a goal/target to aim at in life, if and only if YouTubing is not what he wants anymore. It would give him something else to think about. Though most likely (hopefully) he will continue to post occasional videos.
obsessivelymoody wrote: Mon Sep 30, 2019 7:16 pm I think Dan wants to focus on being an educator himself, anecdotally that is. That's what he does now pretty much anyway.
If he studied (more) he could be an educator beyond his own experiences, though he clearly has self-learned a whole lot. I guess now he is thinking what role he is willing to take in this PCOU.
Right, but what both myself and Ataraxia25 are saying is that uni/being in academia is not the be all end all of having a career. I think Dan's got a pretty decent CV that can take him in a variety of different directions outside of needing to go back to school.
autumnhearth
senpai

This afternoon I rewatched the Yasuhati Christmas Songs video with my kid. And at around a minute in Dan started complaining how Phil has to make everything have a bloody prize and they can’t just have fun. Phil says that he thinks he was a showman in a former life and Dan immediately says “you are literally a showman now” and that really clicked for me. Phil has always been this way, coming up with silly games to involve the audience. This new livestream format is a natural progression of that. He might not want to share much personal stuff anymore, which is understandable, but this type of entertaining engagement seems to be something he genuinely enjoys. So more power to him.
Catallena
classy cat lady
classy cat lady

Happy Phan Month everyone.
Twitter *•.(★).•* Tumblr
Neons
spork

It's really interesting to me as someone who's only become a fan of DnP recently to see longtime fans talking about how Phil's new live show format makes it seem like he wants to share less with his audience and be more distant in general. Like I get that chillin' on a sofa in his flat is obviously a more casual set up than a green screen but has Phil ever been someone to give much away about his life? I just get the impression there's always been something of a wall up really and that the PCOU can allow for them to actually be more personal about certain things in a way they would never have before. Reading that back I think I'm probably just re-hashing what alittledizzy said in their wonderful post on the previous page, lol. But it's just curious to me as a relatively new fan to see people's reactions I guess. I've never seen much of their old live shows at all except for a few short clips on YouTube and the like, so I don't really know.

I like that Phil's new format allows him another avenue to be creative, there was something very endearing about all the little features he tried.

Speaking of the PCOU, I watched Trying To See Things Without My Glasses again today and I just love their little back-and-forths in it so much. I know affectionate insults have always been part of their repertoire but they just felt more fond than usual somehow? I'm glad that Phil wanted to include all that, even the Walugui comment for instance which wasn't relevant to anything. There was just such a happy buzz in that video.
Amiaw
interactive introvert

In the past few days Phil has posted a new video, changed backgrounds to a professional setup and brought liveshows back, updated his younow profile picture, changed his lessamazingphil pfp and theme, and he’s started using YouTube stories again. I don’t know what’s happened between DML and now but this certainly seems the very opposite of taking time away to work on his dreams.

I am really curious to see where this goes but I never expected an amazingphil revival/revamp in October
rizzo
unduly facetious
unduly facetious

Not to get hopes up too high, because I think we've all mostly learned to lower out expectations at this point, but I like to think he's finally getting back into the groove of things well in advance of releasing a mukbang.

That way the mukbang doesn't come out of nowhere, but is rather comfortably nestled among primarily Phil-only content.

Too much hope? Too much hope. Happy Pumpkin Season, folks! :skeleton:
Phanshy
cheeky #spon

Neons wrote: Tue Oct 01, 2019 12:14 pm It's really interesting to me as someone who's only become a fan of DnP recently to see longtime fans talking about how Phil's new live show format makes it seem like he wants to share less with his audience and be more distant in general. Like I get that chillin' on a sofa in his flat is obviously a more casual set up than a green screen but has Phil ever been someone to give much away about his life? I just get the impression there's always been something of a wall up really and that the PCOU can allow for them to actually be more personal about certain things in a way they would never have before. Reading that back I think I'm probably just re-hashing what alittledizzy said in their wonderful post on the previous page, lol. But it's just curious to me as a relatively new fan to see people's reactions I guess. I've never seen much of their old live shows at all except for a few short clips on YouTube and the like, so I don't really know.

I like that Phil's new format allows him another avenue to be creative, there was something very endearing about all the little features he tried.

Speaking of the PCOU, I watched Trying To See Things Without My Glasses again today and I just love their little back-and-forths in it so much. I know affectionate insults have always been part of their repertoire but they just felt more fond than usual somehow? I'm glad that Phil wanted to include all that, even the Walugui comment for instance which wasn't relevant to anything. There was just such a happy buzz in that video.
Personally even though I enjoyed the new format it did feel a lot less personal and less spontaneous, in old live shows he would talk more about what's been happening in his life that week and share anecdotes that aren't really suitable for a video or tweet but he can share in a more casual way that gave us a little glimpse into his/their lives without being to invasive to their personal life and relationship.

The new structured more professional element of the live show makes it obvious to me Dan won't be in them anymore, which is completely understandable but it doesn't mean I won't miss them especially after all the joint tour live shows we had and even before that, the possibility that their solo live shows would have a "mystery guest" or even a mini cameo, like Phil walking past Dan's door because he was cutting up cardboard, it sounds silly to miss something so insignificant but it felt like a window on their lives that's now closed.

i also think it's not just the live shows but everything else changing, I think it's probably a lot healthier for them as people, their relationship and the relationship with the phandom to establish more of a distance between the personal and the professional. it makes me sad but I understand because we all know how some people in the phandom can be over the top about investigating every detail of their lives, they'll post a picture of them at a restaurant rather than just enjoy it for what it is people have to find out what restaurant it is, then someone will find a review saying it's very romantic and another saying it's a great place to get engaged then everyone starts speculating about that, someone will post the menu then someone will point out Dan had the special, which is only served on a Tuesday and today's Saturday so why are they posting it now, what are they doing now that they don't want to draw attention to. It must be exhausting for them.

Sorry for the all over the place ramble that repeats what others have said more concisely, I am as personally guilty of over analysing their relationship as much as anyone, even if I don't try and find out where they live and socialize or dig in to their business finances. I'm not trying to judge just explain why I think they feel the need to distance themselves from us.
Megancita75
ar·tic·u·late

You know what makes me soft? Thinking about how their desire for privacy is also a really strong desire for their relationship to succeed.
JLynne
drama llama

Megancita75 wrote: Tue Oct 01, 2019 2:22 pm You know what makes me soft? Thinking about how their desire for privacy is also a really strong desire for their relationship to succeed.
This is why I'm slightly disappointed but not upset about them putting up boundaries between their professional and personal spaces. As a person who loves love stories, of course I'd like to see more of their life, but as someone who wants their love story in particular to have a real life happy ending, I want them to protect their privacy and do what's best for their relationship. That's sort of the ongoing conflict between being fans of DnP the content creators, and of DnP the human beings.
Neons
spork

Phanshy wrote: Tue Oct 01, 2019 2:00 pm
Neons wrote: Tue Oct 01, 2019 12:14 pm It's really interesting to me as someone who's only become a fan of DnP recently to see longtime fans talking about how Phil's new live show format makes it seem like he wants to share less with his audience and be more distant in general. Like I get that chillin' on a sofa in his flat is obviously a more casual set up than a green screen but has Phil ever been someone to give much away about his life? I just get the impression there's always been something of a wall up really and that the PCOU can allow for them to actually be more personal about certain things in a way they would never have before. Reading that back I think I'm probably just re-hashing what alittledizzy said in their wonderful post on the previous page, lol. But it's just curious to me as a relatively new fan to see people's reactions I guess. I've never seen much of their old live shows at all except for a few short clips on YouTube and the like, so I don't really know.

Personally even though I enjoyed the new format it did feel a lot less personal and less spontaneous, in old live shows he would talk more about what's been happening in his life that week and share anecdotes that aren't really suitable for a video or tweet but he can share in a more casual way that gave us a little glimpse into his/their lives without being to invasive to their personal life and relationship.

The new structured more professional element of the live show makes it obvious to me Dan won't be in them anymore, which is completely understandable but it doesn't mean I won't miss them especially after all the joint tour live shows we had and even before that, the possibility that their solo live shows would have a "mystery guest" or even a mini cameo, like Phil walking past Dan's door because he was cutting up cardboard, it sounds silly to miss something so insignificant but it felt like a window on their lives that's now closed.
Thank you for explaining. I get the feeling some fans have viewed DnP almost like personal friends of theirs and thus thought they had the right to access all the tiny details of their lives, rather than a more standard fan-creator relationship. It makes sense for Phil to re-draw some boundaries and create a little distance (in some ways) from now on, and will probably be a whole lot healthier for both fans and DnP themselves.
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

I feel like people are catastrophizing the amount of personal distance in this liveshow more than is warranted. I definitely don't think it's true that we can say Dan will never appear in these liveshows. I get wanting to measure expectations, but it was also clear from me watching him that the segments aren't going to be exactly the same show to show. He did a video outtake game last time, but he's not going to have a new video before the next live show - so he's doing gaming instead.

He could very easily, once he's comfortable and if Dan wants, come up with a segment Dan can pop in for. Phil's sitting at a table and it would be very easy for him to slide a second chair in there. Nothing about that setup is locked in stone. And as far as personal stories, he did an entire end segment that was just answering fan questions and at various points he went off on tangents related to his life lately (Ad Astra). Plus the news segment also involved an element of Phil telling a story about his own life. He picked university this time but he could easily tell a Dan-involving story sometimes.
knq
lava lamp

Amiaw wrote: Tue Oct 01, 2019 12:54 pm In the past few days Phil has posted a new video, changed backgrounds to a professional setup and brought liveshows back, updated his younow profile picture, changed his lessamazingphil pfp and theme, and he’s started using YouTube stories again. I don’t know what’s happened between DML and now but this certainly seems the very opposite of taking time away to work on his dreams.

I am really curious to see where this goes but I never expected an amazingphil revival/revamp in October
Norman and the forever home were the dream. Now that he’s got them he’s gone straight back to being a workaholic. :shrug:

Honestly I’m surprised as well. Primarily I’m just thankful, but I do also hope Phil is making space for relaxing and general living. To me it seems like Phil has two modes: on vacation and doing all the things.

Even when we were discussing the possibility that writing might be the hobby Phil wanted to spend more time on while working less, Phil was pitching his writing in hopes of getting it made into something which he also seemed interested in directing, and at that point it definitely qualifies as part of his work life.

I do think the ‘Episode 1’ in the title of the liveshow indicates he might be doing ‘seasons’ of liveshow with off time, which is something Dan talked about wanting back when Dan talked.

Thanks for pointing out the Youtube Stories! I liked seeing the comments Phil picked out.
Susanisnotafish
flower crown
Pronouns: She/her

Sorry for the change in topic, but I found this funny and wanted to share. I was watching an old Dan live show from 10/2/13 and at 1:00:18 someone asked who his fave Youtuber was and he said Cute with Chris, but that he had a mental breakdown and quit Youtube. Curious, I googled him and found this article https://www.laweekly.com/when-cute-isnt ... e-to-knit/ with a very gender role stereotyping title. Apparently Dan wasn’t his demographic. Also he looks like Will Ferrell.
"Rub those freckles all over me!" --Daniel Howell
Phantasy
woodland creature

All I want is a Spooky Season mukbang.
firsttimeposter
living flop

I think the problem of the ‘awkwardness’ of phil’s liveshow has been present for many, many years now. I especially notices it last year however, cause even with their joint live shows, there were loads of moments where they had noo idea what to say - only really worked out cause they were two in my opinion. though I still loved them, and am stoked for phil’s live shows. even if they are as impersonal as this one, I don’t think I could ever skip one. just phil speaking makes me happier lmao.
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

happy anniversary to this iconic fetus phan moment
Catallena
classy cat lady
classy cat lady

Every time Phil uses that stupid YouTube Stories feature I start a Google search for a nice and easy way to download them like I do with Instagram Stories. And I never find one.

I only just noticed them, but it's late and I have to go to bed now... but if anyone wants to make a clear screen recording of those Stories and drop a note in my DMs on here or Twitter that'd be nice. Just saying.
Twitter *•.(★).•* Tumblr
Amiaw
interactive introvert

They updated the Sims playlist on dapg today which is interesting because the channel is dead but it seems like they still want people watching the videos
Megancita75
ar·tic·u·late

Amiaw wrote: Wed Oct 02, 2019 3:34 pm They updated the Sims playlist on dapg today which is interesting because the channel is dead but it seems like they still want people watching the videos
I'm a new fan and am just up to the video where they get a sim dog, which was super cute. I do wonder in general about the kind of traffic the DAPG videos still get -- maybe it's enough still that updating a playlist makes sense.
dancy
procrastinator

Amiaw wrote: Wed Oct 02, 2019 3:34 pm They updated the Sims playlist on dapg today which is interesting because the channel is dead but it seems like they still want people watching the videos
I wonder what exactly was updated it considering it doesn't seem like anything has changed to me?