Dan & Phil Part 90: Fish Daddies

Our two favourite full time internet nerds who never go outside!
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie
Pronouns: she/her

Phanshy
cheeky #spon

Amiaw wrote: Wed Oct 02, 2019 3:34 pm They updated the Sims playlist on dapg today which is interesting because the channel is dead but it seems like they still want people watching the videos
Obviously getting ready to give us the Dab and Evan wedding we've been waiting for. JK
:rainbowtears:
plinthofmylife
janice from the shop

Phanshy wrote: Wed Oct 02, 2019 5:08 pm Obviously getting ready to give us the Dab and Evan wedding we've been waiting for. JK
:rainbowtears:
Please let me have it please please please. You can kill the channel but....plz? A PCOU gay sims wedding with them in suits? MY HEART WOULD DIE.
Phantasy
woodland creature

If and when Dan gets around to posting again, I wonder what form his videos will take—I’d love to see him do a transitional video like ISG or even a spon to break the ice again, but I feel like with BIG (and to some extent starting with living my truth) he’s elevated his quality threshold to a bar that will essentially paralyze him creativity. I really don’t want every video to feel like he’s agonized and poured his soul into for 18 months.
kavat
pastel persona

I would actually really like an ISG from Dan, I always liked them. I understand that people were a bit fed up with them because he did them pretty often for a while and there are so many of them, but I would love to hear what advice he would give in 2019. But there are 10 of them which is too pretty of a number for him to do another one, I think.
Amiaw
interactive introvert

So no hopes for the gaming channel. It was a false alarm. The only change they made was to the dnp shop
Megancita75
ar·tic·u·late

Random business question: I know they have a manager, but do we know if they have staff? Like, a personal admin who does emails or YouTube admin tasks, or even a person who might have helped with editing videos or maintaining recording equipment, etc.?
obsessivelymoody
emo goose

But are they actually removing the links/changing them? iirc itasca00 had kept track of how notoriously terrible dnp were with their description links. I also don't think them doing anything with minor parts of the gaming channel means much tbh. I've seen a lot of catastrophizing on twitter already.
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

obsessivelymoody wrote: Wed Oct 02, 2019 6:41 pm But are they actually removing the links/changing them? iirc itasca00 had kept track of how notoriously terrible dnp were with their description links. I also don't think them doing anything with minor parts of the gaming channel means much tbh. I've seen a lot of catastrophizing on twitter already.
I'm also reserving judgement until we get some more proof on that. If they're going to the effort of changing that why wouldn't they also at the same time add their new merch links and also updated Dan's old dead dinof links?

Also just doing a spot check myself, I still see danandphilshop merch links on most of the videos.
Amiaw
interactive introvert

I have seen other tweets since this one that say the same thing -‘that the joint shop links are still on some videos so at this point I have NO idea of what’s going on and am going to stop guessing because that never ends well with me and dnp
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

Amiaw wrote: Wed Oct 02, 2019 6:56 pm I have seen other tweets since this one that say the same thing -‘that the joint shop links are still on some videos so at this point I have NO idea of what’s going on and am going to stop guessing because that never ends well with me and dnp
I just looked myself and it appears as it always has to me. As of Dan opening his shop last year, his link was there and for Phil's it was still danandphilshop (link). After Phil opened his shop, for a while it stayed like that. Last October it swapped to having Phil's merch shop in his link (link).

So I guess right now I'm just watching to see if videos prior to that point start being edited.
Birdie
blobfish
Pronouns: they/them

Phantasy wrote: Wed Oct 02, 2019 6:19 pm If and when Dan gets around to posting again, I wonder what form his videos will take—I’d love to see him do a transitional video like ISG or even a spon to break the ice again, but I feel like with BIG (and to some extent starting with living my truth) he’s elevated his quality threshold to a bar that will essentially paralyze him creativity. I really don’t want every video to feel like he’s agonized and poured his soul into for 18 months.
Well put. If that's the content he wants to make, obviously he should, but I don't think this insane obsession with quality and perfection is healthy for any creative person. I mean, I don't know about Dan's real motives but everything he's said about this screams creative block to me and that sucks but it's not gonna go away by developing even more unreachable quality standards for your own content.
obsessivelymoody
emo goose

Lots of people also seemed to be convinced that updating descriptions changes when the playlists are updated, which isn't the case.

Here is what phandomwatch's youtube channel playlist page looks like before I made any changes to it.
Here is what it looked like after I took a video, College Dropout, out of the best of 2011 playlist. The playlist was moved to the top of the list as I had just updated it.
Here's what the fan favourites playlist looked like before I updated the description of this video.
Here's what it looked like after I updated the description. No change.
In conclusion, idk what dnp are doing, but my best guess is that either one of the videos in the sims playlist was accidentally removed and put back in, or one of them was missing from the playlist and was added. Sometimes we have admin days, and maybe today was an admin day for them. Who knows. I just know that they wouldn't go through the effort of changing old descriptions that really have no impact on them. So many casual viewers don't even read the descriptions anyway lol. And I also think that even if they did bother to change links in descriptions of old videos, it still wouldn't mean the be all end all of the dap shop. I think we can reserve that for when that is actually communicated to us.
susan2
rainbow nerd

deleted my post to avoid confusion!
(sorry my brain is obviously playing tricks on me, I thought they'd changed some thumbnails)
Last edited by susan2 on Wed Oct 02, 2019 8:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
obsessivelymoody
emo goose

Are...those not the same thumbnails they've always had? Again, I don't see why they would go through the effort to change something like that?
liola
rankussy

I don't understand, those are the same thumbnails?
Will probably never be over the BONCAS and the beauty of Phil Lester.

Official Moving Hill Mayor
knq
lava lamp

I don't see that they have changed any video descriptions.

Playing around with playlists, it looks like some of the things you can do that cause it to update without adding/removing a video are: add or remove a note (which is only visible to you), enable or disable embedding of the playlist itself (which I didn't even know was a thing), allowing or disallowing collaborators to add videos to the playlist, making the series your 'official' playlist series which probably has something to do with recommended videos that play, and so on

Maybe Phil's just poking around at things, as he recently updated his sidechannel layout.

Their main channel 'for business inquiries' email addresses have both changed to their names at atf instead of atf's managers' names. I dunno when that happened. But it's also totally meaningless. :shrug:
Secretstanner
truth bomb

susan2 wrote: Wed Oct 02, 2019 7:55 pm they're updating a bunch of DAPG thumbnails (and not just Sims) going right back to their first DAPG video
...there seems to be a common theme going on

e.g.

...my brain is already starting to get confused as to what's new and old
But they all look the same to me? What’s changed if they have it’s simple bits that’s different. The only one I don’t remember is the last donkey kong but that’s because I never watch that one.
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

I keep seeing the thumbnail thing too but I can't find anyone with comparisons! I'd love to see what changes they were making.

I'm still not sure that changing a thumbnail would make a playlist show as updated though. (And moody, thanks for the examples! I had no idea how that worked.)
Mia
spork

I literally watched that Sims Dil gets festive video like 2 days ago and I'm struggling to remember if it's a new thumbnail :shock:

I've been watching their videos from the start to recent (very slowly)and just got to that one
obsessivelymoody
emo goose

alittledizzy wrote: Wed Oct 02, 2019 10:07 pm I keep seeing the thumbnail thing too but I can't find anyone with comparisons! I'd love to see what changes they were making.

I'm still not sure that changing a thumbnail would make a playlist show as updated though. (And moody, thanks for the examples! I had no idea how that worked.)
Thumbnail change also doesn't mark a playlist as updated.

I changed this video thumbnail
to this (sorry it wasn't loading properly on the channel so I can to grab it from the playlist)
and the video is in the fan favourites playlist, which is showing its last updated day in July.
I would also love to see if there were any changes tho! idk why they'd change anything. But anyway this post feels especially relevant rn lol
Phanshy
cheeky #spon

I wonder if Dan and Phil despair at us sometimes when we have these collective chicken Licken moments.
nicky1388
spork

Megancita75 wrote: Wed Oct 02, 2019 3:54 pm
Amiaw wrote: Wed Oct 02, 2019 3:34 pm They updated the Sims playlist on dapg today which is interesting because the channel is dead but it seems like they still want people watching the videos
I'm a new fan and am just up to the video where they get a sim dog, which was super cute. I do wonder in general about the kind of traffic the DAPG videos still get -- maybe it's enough still that updating a playlist makes sense.
I think they must get some decent traffic. I have seen all of them and i am always rewatching. I have trouble sleeping and DAPG is great to put me to sleep because i know it so well, i don't have to watch. Just be lulled into dreamland and then i wake up to a random video in the moneing.
lefthandedism
simply stressed bisexual
simply stressed bisexual

New season, new thread. Get your suggestions for new thread name in here!

:blowingleaves: :blowingleaves: :leafpile: :blowingleaves: :blowingleaves:
"If you're left-handed, ask a friend."
"Why am I left-handed?"
"Everybody makes mistakes."
itasca00
moon room
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Amiaw wrote: Wed Oct 02, 2019 6:36 pm
So no hopes for the gaming channel. It was a false alarm. The only change they made was to the dnp shop
obsessivelymoody wrote: Wed Oct 02, 2019 6:41 pm
But are they actually removing the links/changing them? iirc itasca00 had kept track of how notoriously terrible dnp were with their description links. I also don't think them doing anything with minor parts of the gaming channel means much tbh. I've seen a lot of catastrophizing on twitter already.
alittledizzy wrote: Wed Oct 02, 2019 7:03 pm
Amiaw wrote: Wed Oct 02, 2019 6:56 pm I have seen other tweets since this one that say the same thing -‘that the joint shop links are still on some videos so at this point I have NO idea of what’s going on and am going to stop guessing because that never ends well with me and dnp
I just looked myself and it appears as it always has to me. As of Dan opening his shop last year, his link was there and for Phil's it was still danandphilshop (link). After Phil opened his shop, for a while it stayed like that. Last October it swapped to having Phil's merch shop in his link (link).

So I guess right now I'm just watching to see if videos prior to that point start being edited.
obsessivelymoody is correct. Dan and Phil have been extremely inconsistent with how they link to their merch shops in their video descriptions. Sometimes they link to the Dan and Phil Shop, sometimes they link to their individual merch shops, and sometimes they link to both. I have gone through my timestamps for last year's DanAndPhilGAMES videos (since I started commenting on merch links in mid-September), and none of the original (inconsistent) references to Dan and Phil's merch shops have been changed/corrected in the current video descriptions. If you'd like to see for yourself just how inconsistent Dan and Phil have been, I have compiled my timestamps on this matter (for DanAndPhilGAMES videos) below:
Disclaimer: You'll notice below that I root for Dan and Phil linking to their individual merch shops in their video descriptions. To be clear, this is just because their merch links appear alongside links to their individual social media accounts in their video descriptions.
  • DIL GOES TO SPACE - Dan and Phil Play: Sims 4 #56 (15 September 2018)
    itasca00 wrote: Sat Sep 15, 2018 9:51 pm
  • Dan and Phil fighting in their underwear! (22 September 2018)
    itasca00 wrote: Sun Sep 23, 2018 12:55 am
    • Their merch links in the video description are again both danandphilshop.com. What the heck?
  • D a n V s. P h i l - P O N G (28 September 2018)
    itasca00 wrote: Sat Sep 29, 2018 2:56 pm
  • Dan and Phil Actually Go To A Party (11 October 2018)
    itasca00 wrote: Fri Oct 12, 2018 12:42 am
    • I’m feeling very trolled because, once again, Dan’s merch link has switched compared to the last video. It is again danandphilshop.com. When will this mystery be solved?
  • THIS VIDEO IS CLICKBAIT (19 October 2018)
    itasca00 wrote: Sat Oct 20, 2018 3:39 am
    • At long last, Dan and Phil’s merch links are the same in this video description as they were in the description of the last gaming video. But they are both danandphilshop.com rather than their individual merch shops, so I’m still not happy. To make matters worse, I’m just realizing that the order of the social media links is different for Dan and Phil (Instagram is third for Dan and fifth for Phil), and this order difference is consistent for all of the videos I checked. The horror!
  • How Not to Drive with Dan and Phil (23 October 2018)
    itasca00 wrote: Tue Oct 23, 2018 11:29 pm
  • SPOOKY WEEK BEGINS! Dan and Phil Play: GRANNY (26 October 2018)
    itasca00 wrote: Fri Oct 26, 2018 11:40 pm
  • The Creepy Mind of Phil Lester (27 October 2018)
    itasca00 wrote: Sun Oct 28, 2018 3:49 am
    • Unfortunately, Dan and Phil’s merch links are still danandphilshop.com for this video. :roll:
  • Dan experiences VR Horror - Resident Evil 7! (28 October 2018)
    itasca00 wrote: Mon Oct 29, 2018 3:32 am
  • It’s All Ogre for Dan and Phil - SWAMP SIMULATOR! (29 October 2018)
    itasca00 wrote: Mon Oct 29, 2018 11:46 pm
    • Ayyy, the merch links are right again in this video description. But how long can it last? To borrow a phrase from Dan, this is the true horror of Spooky Week. :roll:
  • DIL BECOMES A VAMPIRE - Dan and Phil Play: Sims 4 #57 (30 October 2018)
    itasca00 wrote: Wed Oct 31, 2018 1:15 am
    • Alright! Two videos in a row with the correct merch links! Let's keep this up, boys! :thumb:
  • Weird Things Humans Search For (14 November 2018)
    itasca00 wrote: Wed Nov 14, 2018 11:46 pm
    • *le sigh* The merch links both point to danandphilshop.com in the description of this video.
  • Dan vs. Phil - DRUMMING CHALLENGE! (20 November 2018)
    itasca00 wrote: Tue Nov 20, 2018 9:09 pm
  • What if Dan and Phil were GODS? (26 November 2018)
    itasca00 wrote: Mon Nov 26, 2018 11:11 pm
    • There are three links that point to danandphilshop.com in the video description, but I’m okay with this as long as the combined festive shop is in place (and the other shops haven't been updated with the new merch).
  • DIL BECOMES AN ELDER - Dan and Phil Play: Sims 4 #58 (2 December 2018)
    itasca00 wrote: Sun Dec 02, 2018 10:50 pm
    • As with all the other episodes of The Sims for the past several months, the merch links in the video description point to shop.danielhowell.com and amazingphilshop.com. I’m not sure if this is actually a good thing this time since these shops are basically dead for the next month, but I’ll take it anyway. :ribena:
  • Festive Dan vs. Phil - SANTA BANTER! (11 December 2018)
    itasca00 wrote: Wed Dec 12, 2018 5:56 am
    • Individual merch links have returned for this video, and they point to danandphilshop.com.
  • BATTLE FOR THE BOOTY - Dan and Phil Play: Golf With Friends #7 (14 December 2018)
    itasca00 wrote: Sat Dec 15, 2018 12:38 am
    • Both Dan and Phil's individual merch links point to danandphilshop.com, which is still fine since the joint shop is still in operation.
  • Who should we date? Dan and Phil play Heart♡Throb! (16 December 2018)
    itasca00 wrote: Mon Dec 17, 2018 6:38 am
    • All is well with the individual merch links...for now.
  • Dan vs. Phil - THE FINAL BATTLE (18 December 2018)
    itasca00 wrote: Wed Dec 19, 2018 1:12 am
  • BOYS IN THE BIG CITY - Dan and Phil Play: Sims 4 #59 (20 December 2018)
    itasca00 wrote: Fri Dec 21, 2018 1:04 am
    • Oh, my. The video description. All of the individual social media links are duplicated. In one set, the merch links point to shop.danielhowell.com and amazingphilshop.com. In the other, they both point to danandphilshop.com. I guess this is one way to make sure you have your bases covered... Once again, I'm feeling very trolled by Dan and Phil.
  • THE DALIEN EPISODE - Dan and Phil Play: Sims 4 #60 (21 December 2018)
    itasca00 wrote: Sat Dec 22, 2018 6:31 pm
    • There is only one set of social media links this time, which is a relief. Individual merch links point to shop.danielhowell.com and amazingphilshop.com. I find this questionable while the combined shop is in operation, but I won’t complain.
  • DAB GETS FAMOUS - Dan and Phil Play: Sims 4 #61 (22 December 2018)
    itasca00 wrote: Sun Dec 23, 2018 3:44 am
    • Individual merch links again point to individual shops for this video.
  • DIL RETIRES - Dan and Phil Play: Sims 4 #62 (23 December 2018)
    itasca00 wrote: Sun Dec 23, 2018 10:42 pm
    • Dan and Phil’s individual merch links continue to point to their individual merch shops.
  • DIL'S FAMILY WINTERFEST - Dan and Phil Play: Sims 4 #63 (24 December 2018)
    itasca00 wrote: Wed Dec 26, 2018 8:48 pm
    • In the video description of the final gaming video “for now,” merch links continue to point to individual merch shops.
You're being beamed up by aggressive aliens and they're plugging in the anal probe
"Oh, God. Okay. I say: *shrug* [...] I'd be like, 'I don't know how this works. Put a condom on that thing. *shrug*'"
Dan Howell, 5/10/18 Try new things..?