Dan & Phil Part 90: Fish Daddies

Our two favourite full time internet nerds who never go outside!
Susanisnotafish
flower crown
Pronouns: She/her

alien wrote: Sun Sep 15, 2019 2:10 am so something I was thinking about that I don't know the answer to and was hoping maybe someone here does...I was thinking about how dan loves his occasional very expensive item of clothing and I wondered what the first splurge was once he started making that yt money? does anyone know?
I’ve only been in the phandom since 2016, so probably the first clothing splurge was before that, but I know Dan prickled when he caught wind in I think 2016 of people talking about how much an item of his clothing cost when he had actually gotten it for free. He has also talked in past liveshows about getting things on sale. I’d be interested in what others know about this topic. They don’t really seem like splurgers on much to me. Perhaps they try to downplay any big purchases so they can continue to seem relatable. I remember in another live show Dan commenting about not being able to afford Apple products when he was young. And he said they were overpriced. Perhaps his first iPhone was his first splurge as opposed to clothing. Even before they had the gaming channel he said in a Vyou answer that he had all the current gaming systems because he and Phil split the cost. This probably isn’t answering your clothing related question, but you got me thinking about what we know about what they spend money on.

Omg two top of the pages in a row! What are the odds?
"Rub those freckles all over me!" --Daniel Howell
susan2
rainbow nerd

alien wrote: Sun Sep 15, 2019 2:10 am so something I was thinking about that I don't know the answer to and was hoping maybe someone here does...I was thinking about how dan loves his occasional very expensive item of clothing and I wondered what the first splurge was once he started making that yt money? does anyone know?
I remember Dan showing the 'ugly' t-shirt he bought in a liveshow back in July 2012 which he himself described as "expensive" at the time.

It's all relative, but I guess back in 2012 that could've been considered a splurge for him. Not sure if that was the first tho.
(...or were you thinking more like £1000+ items)
Susanisnotafish
flower crown

susan2 wrote: Sun Sep 15, 2019 10:48 am
I remember Dan showing the 'ugly' t-shirt he bought in a liveshow back in July 2012 which he himself described as "expensive" at the time.

It's all relative, but I guess back in 2012 that could've been considered a splurge for him. Not sure if that was the first tho.
(...or were you thinking more like £1000+ items)
Wow! The timing of him spending that much on a t-shirt is interesting after Phil’s DML2 saying how expensive and risky it was for them to move to London.
"Rub those freckles all over me!" --Daniel Howell
noodlebum
flower crown

The moustache attempt.... kill it :o
Secretstanner
truth bomb

You know what I actually don’t hate it. I really hate all the beard edits but this..? When it comes to Phils facial hair I’m 100% here for it, he looked so handsome. Im too scared to go on the actual IGS!! I didn’t get a notification, so all the photos I’ve seen are on twitter and I can’t click the full image for too long.
glitterintheair
phillluminati
Pronouns: she/her

I hate it with passion and I hate Dan for making me see that thing. He looks 14 with that monstrosity on and in general, a moustache just doesn't suit him at all. Although, I'll be honest, I think Dan's face is at its best clean-shaven; I don't think stubble looks that good on him either. On Phil? Yeah. But on Dan? Nah mate.
I'm a winter flower underground, always thirsty for summer rain.
Megancita75
ar·tic·u·late

Dan posting that just to make fun of himself is pretty on brand. Hope he’s not feeling too insecure about it, though.
Phanshy
cheeky #spon

No to Dan's facial hair, just no.
I hope he sees Jamie Barton the "Queer girl with a nose ring" from the proms last night.
:wavingflag:
flarequake
not an airport stalker

Oh, Dan, I did laugh loudly in a motorway service station. He’s smouldering well even if the hormones and hair are letting him down. Still a cute.

Also Phil and the dog show. I’m tempted to go and maybe see him and a dog doing a doggy obstacle course. Kennel Club being not good at all for perpetuating breeding unhealthy traits in dogs, though. Still, Phil, very tempting. I went to a pet show a few years ago and the area I saw some dogs perform in was only bordered with a low picket fence and there were maybe 100 or so people watching. I don’t know how many of the phandom might go, I can imagine a whole 1000 like I estimated were at SITC 2015 would be a bit much.
flarequake
not an airport stalker

Also, we’ve been blessed
Catallena
classy cat lady
classy cat lady

Dan's facial hair really does give me flashbacks to the boys in secondary school.

As far as Phil's upcoming dog #spon goes, I'm not happy about it. At all. I already have issues with the way social media glorifies certain pedigree breeds of both dogs and cats, so an influencer like Phil now actively promoting an event pretty much dedicated to it just feels gross to me. Sorry Phil, but please stick with shelters like Battersea next time. :shrug:
Twitter *•.(★).•* Tumblr
Scout
squish
Pronouns: She/Her

Catallena wrote: Sun Sep 15, 2019 7:33 pm Dan's facial hair really does give me flashbacks to the boys in secondary school.

As far as Phil's upcoming dog #spon goes, I'm not happy about it. At all. I already have issues with the way social media glorifies certain pedigree breeds of both dogs and cats, so an influencer like Phil now actively promoting an event pretty much dedicated to it just feels gross to me. Sorry Phil, but please stick with shelters like Battersea next time. :shrug:
100% agree
:lesbianflag:
Neons
spork

Catallena wrote: Sun Sep 15, 2019 7:33 pm As far as Phil's upcoming dog #spon goes, I'm not happy about it. At all. I already have issues with the way social media glorifies certain pedigree breeds of both dogs and cats, so an influencer like Phil now actively promoting an event pretty much dedicated to it just feels gross to me. Sorry Phil, but please stick with shelters like Battersea next time. :shrug:
I agree certain breeds becoming trendy or desired purely for their looks is abhorrent, and the fact that the Kennel Club has in the past neglected the health of certain breeds is sickening.

I would say though that at least with Discover Dogs specifically the event is primarily meant to be about educating people about different breeds, meeting owners to ask questions, and gaining an understanding of what owning a dog would actually entail so you aren't just rushing into anything because you saw a cute one on instagram. I can only really speak for the particular breed my brother has (a vulnerable native terrier breed) but I know some of the people who represent it at DD and they just want to spread awareness for an endangered breed but also make sure people don't get one without knowing what they're getting into. Whether the people there representing all the breeds have such good intentions though I have no idea, some of them could just be trying to drum up interest to flog some puppies I suppose. :( I think they do usually have some rescue dogs and information about rescuing as an option at DD as well though.
Having said all that of course there is an element of "meet the cute doggies and cuddle them!" about the event which fits with Phil's branding. And we have no idea if Phil has given the same level of thought to any of this as we have. I hope he continues to promote Battersea/rescuing too. :)
obsessivelymoody
emo goose

So the other day I was watching the Heartthrob video and I'm always so fascinated by their explanations for why they think the other chose who they chose, but on this rewatch I was really drawn into that narrative that many people have assumed about their relationship re: who was more "experienced" in the sex department when they got together. Generally, it's been assumed that it was Phil because he's older, already went through uni, and Dan had a girlfriend for such a long time, among some other reasons. But after watching BIG that seems to be quite different, at least with what Dan says at this bit (credits to itasca00 for the amazing timestamps!):
22:05: Wow, I had a lot of fun with many different kinds of people in 2009. Let’s just say: I got a lot out of my system. Got a couple of things in my system too. Sorry.
Seeing as this is something a lot of people didn't expect about Dan, I was really intrigued by what Phil says at this bit in the Heartthrob video, rationalizing why Dan chose Bobby:
14:46:
P: Dan, I think you were moved by the fact that Bobby’s never been kissed ‘cause you chose Bobby!
D: I chose Bobby!
P: Yes!
D: Right, okay. No, no. But not just that. Explain to me--I want you to show everybody how you think you understand me.
P: Fine.
D: Why did I choose Bobby?
P: Okay. First of all: He’s got a nice car. He can take you on some nice dates. Secondly, he wants to be a secret agent. That’s something you can chat about. Like, what’s the mystery? What are we solving? Are we going on an adventure?
D: Right. And you think I’d like that. Okay. Yep.
P: Thirdly, nudist. You’ve got, like, weird, furry stuff going on. You might enjoy a bit of nudism. I don’t know. Never been kissed: That’s like a movie. That’s like: I’m in a movie.
D: Yeah. You were wrong at every single point there. I am so offended by everything you just said. No.
P: What?
D: That’s not the--The reason I like Bobby is because--
P: ‘Cause of the guns?
D: Look, you’re a t--No. You’re--Mayb--Okay. You’re a teenager.
P: Yeah.
D: You’re not choosing your husband for life.
P: You’re going on a date.
D: This is the time when you make mistakes.
P: So you’re choosing a mistake?
D: You have experiences. You just need to--Look. Bobby seems like maybe someone that you can heal. He seems like there’s a lot of--
P: Like a project?
D: There’s--Yeah.
P: Wow.
D: Yeah.
P: Sure.
D: He needs me more than Richard!
P: Alright.
D: Richard’s got his tuba! He’s got his magic. Bobby’s got nothing other than a fragile self-esteem and amazing biceps.
P: Okay.
Aside from the little jokes about being a furry and whatever I think there's some stuff we can really unpack here [mumbles about John Mulaney]. I think Phil, knowing Dan as well as he does and for as long as he has, and what we know about the nature of the beginning of their relationship, wouldn't say something about Dan being intrigued by the fact Bobby hasn't been kissed unless he didn't actually think it's a good rationalization for why Dan chose him. And I also think mr. expensive-skybar-on-the-first-date Lester has the same thought process for why he said Dan would choose him so he can go on nice dates.

I also think there's something worth noting about them talking about Bobby being a "project" or someone to work and grow with. I think because of how young they both were when they got together and how far they've come and changed over the last ten years together this holds some weight. I'm not trying to say Phil is Bobby or anything, but I think it says something about the person Dan is. Which is to say, quite different from when he was 18 to 27 in the video. I think when he was young and still a teenager he was more inclined to experiment and try things out--as many teenagers do--when he felt comfortable enough to do so, and when Phil came into his life that shifted with the nature of their relationship. As an adult, I think he can look back and see that not every teenage relationship is supposed to turn into something that lasts forever, and sometimes having certain people in your life at certain points is a learning experience more than anything.

Personally, I think when they got together they probably knew that this wasn't going to be some kind of fling or a relationship that would eventually fizzle out. I think they've been on the super best friends and soulmates train together since the beginning. But stuff like this is so curious to me because of both the phandom's general thought for years of Phil having more experience with sex and relationships than Dan, and how it--at least in my mind--alters that early dynamic between them in that way.

I'm genuinely curious if anyone else has thoughts about this, or what anyone else thinks about this. It's just a thought I had that spiralled into this so I would love to hear other people's thoughts! Please jump down this hole with me lol
Templeofshame
rainbow nerd

obsessivelymoody wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 2:08 am So the other day I was watching the Heartthrob video and I'm always so fascinated by their explanations for why they think the other chose who they chose, but on this rewatch I was really drawn into that narrative that many people have assumed about their relationship re: who was more "experienced" in the sex department when they got together. Generally, it's been assumed that it was Phil because he's older, already went through uni, and Dan had a girlfriend for such a long time, among some other reasons. But after watching BIG that seems to be quite different, at least with what Dan says at this bit (credits to itasca00 for the amazing timestamps!):
22:05: Wow, I had a lot of fun with many different kinds of people in 2009. Let’s just say: I got a lot out of my system. Got a couple of things in my system too. Sorry.
Your analysis is really interesting and maybe I shouldn't comment because I don't really have anything to add there, but I do feel like the phandom view of their experiences pre-BIG was more complicated and less homogenous than that? Obviously anything we say about a phandom view is more homogenous than it is because the phandom is lots of people with different opinions, but I think in addition to the Phil being older line of thinking you mention, it was pretty common to theorize that Dan didn't have experience with guys pre-Phil, but that Phil, not having any acknowledged exes and with a kissing-lessons first kiss, was pretty sexually inexperienced overall at that time. I'm not sure what my point is, but I guess that while I was a bit surprised by BIG's indication of more pre-Phil experience with guys for Dan than I would have expected, I don't really think the balance has shifted for me.
Amiaw
interactive introvert

this was taken this morning at the airport so it looks like Phil was back in London all day
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

tried clicking around to find a source and lol
obsessivelymoody
emo goose

Templeofshame wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 2:34 am
obsessivelymoody wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 2:08 am So the other day I was watching the Heartthrob video and I'm always so fascinated by their explanations for why they think the other chose who they chose, but on this rewatch I was really drawn into that narrative that many people have assumed about their relationship re: who was more "experienced" in the sex department when they got together. Generally, it's been assumed that it was Phil because he's older, already went through uni, and Dan had a girlfriend for such a long time, among some other reasons. But after watching BIG that seems to be quite different, at least with what Dan says at this bit (credits to itasca00 for the amazing timestamps!):
Your analysis is really interesting and maybe I shouldn't comment because I don't really have anything to add there, but I do feel like the phandom view of their experiences pre-BIG was more complicated and less homogenous than that? Obviously anything we say about a phandom view is more homogenous than it is because the phandom is lots of people with different opinions, but I think in addition to the Phil being older line of thinking you mention, it was pretty common to theorize that Dan didn't have experience with guys pre-Phil, but that Phil, not having any acknowledged exes and with a kissing-lessons first kiss, was pretty sexually inexperienced overall at that time. I'm not sure what my point is, but I guess that while I was a bit surprised by BIG's indication of more pre-Phil experience with guys for Dan than I would have expected, I don't really think the balance has shifted for me.
For sure. Perhaps I shouldn't have phrased it to be so generalized, and I'm glad you mentioned Phil being inexperienced as I was sure I was forgetting a viewpoint, and I obviously really did.
Templeofshame
rainbow nerd

obsessivelymoody wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 3:35 am For sure. Perhaps I shouldn't have phrased it to be so generalized, and I'm glad you mentioned Phil being inexperienced as I was sure I was forgetting a viewpoint, and I obviously really did.
I think the water gets muddied with the whole thing about Phil's "innocence" and branding, and it's likely that even if Phil had lots of casual sex in uni or whatever, we'd never hear about it because even 2019-Phil isn't in a place to tell us about that (cough the way Dan is cough). But the way he's portrayed himself--in terms of inventing false sexual experience at the beginning of uni (and so pretty much telling us that when he was the age Dan was when they got together, he didn't have sexual experience, or at least that he was insecure about it) and in the way he's always depicted his "relationships" and flirtations with girls such that they were--doesn't give any indication of experience, and then I think it's easy to read COTY as reenforcing that concept? He asks if it's lame that, in using a dating site, he actually wanted to go on a date, which seems to present him as not doing the hookup culture thing (and also that he wasn't in a relationship at least at that point).

We know in COTY he did skip over periods of time and experiences that didn't fit the narrative and positivity he wanted to share, so he totally could have skipped over a period of uni hookups or a relationship or whatever. And he does pretty consistently establish himself as not literally never-been-kissed level by the time he meet Dan. But if we take how they present themselves at face value, then 09-Phil would seem to have some Bobby-esque inexperience to a degree?
knq
lava lamp

obsessivelymoody wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 2:08 am
So the other day I was watching the Heartthrob video and I'm always so fascinated by their explanations for why they think the other chose who they chose, but on this rewatch I was really drawn into that narrative that many people have assumed about their relationship re: who was more "experienced" in the sex department when they got together. Generally, it's been assumed that it was Phil because he's older, already went through uni, and Dan had a girlfriend for such a long time, among some other reasons. But after watching BIG that seems to be quite different, at least with what Dan says at this bit (credits to itasca00 for the amazing timestamps!):
Seeing as this is something a lot of people didn't expect about Dan, I was really intrigued by what Phil says at this bit in the Heartthrob video, rationalizing why Dan chose Bobby:
14:46:
P: Dan, I think you were moved by the fact that Bobby’s never been kissed ‘cause you chose Bobby!
D: I chose Bobby!
P: Yes!
D: Right, okay. No, no. But not just that. Explain to me--I want you to show everybody how you think you understand me.
P: Fine.
D: Why did I choose Bobby?
P: Okay. First of all: He’s got a nice car. He can take you on some nice dates. Secondly, he wants to be a secret agent. That’s something you can chat about. Like, what’s the mystery? What are we solving? Are we going on an adventure?
D: Right. And you think I’d like that. Okay. Yep.
P: Thirdly, nudist. You’ve got, like, weird, furry stuff going on. You might enjoy a bit of nudism. I don’t know. Never been kissed: That’s like a movie. That’s like: I’m in a movie.
D: Yeah. You were wrong at every single point there. I am so offended by everything you just said. No.
P: What?
D: That’s not the--The reason I like Bobby is because--
P: ‘Cause of the guns?
D: Look, you’re a t--No. You’re--Mayb--Okay. You’re a teenager.
P: Yeah.
D: You’re not choosing your husband for life.
P: You’re going on a date.
D: This is the time when you make mistakes.
P: So you’re choosing a mistake?
D: You have experiences. You just need to--Look. Bobby seems like maybe someone that you can heal. He seems like there’s a lot of--
P: Like a project?
D: There’s--Yeah.
P: Wow.
D: Yeah.
P: Sure.
D: He needs me more than Richard!
P: Alright.
D: Richard’s got his tuba! He’s got his magic. Bobby’s got nothing other than a fragile self-esteem and amazing biceps.
P: Okay.
Aside from the little jokes about being a furry and whatever I think there's some stuff we can really unpack here [mumbles about John Mulaney]. I think Phil, knowing Dan as well as he does and for as long as he has, and what we know about the nature of the beginning of their relationship, wouldn't say something about Dan being intrigued by the fact Bobby hasn't been kissed unless he didn't actually think it's a good rationalization for why Dan chose him. And I also think mr. expensive-skybar-on-the-first-date Lester has the same thought process for why he said Dan would choose him so he can go on nice dates.

I also think there's something worth noting about them talking about Bobby being a "project" or someone to work and grow with. I think because of how young they both were when they got together and how far they've come and changed over the last ten years together this holds some weight. I'm not trying to say Phil is Bobby or anything, but I think it says something about the person Dan is. Which is to say, quite different from when he was 18 to 27 in the video. I think when he was young and still a teenager he was more inclined to experiment and try things out--as many teenagers do--when he felt comfortable enough to do so, and when Phil came into his life that shifted with the nature of their relationship. As an adult, I think he can look back and see that not every teenage relationship is supposed to turn into something that lasts forever, and sometimes having certain people in your life at certain points is a learning experience more than anything.

Personally, I think when they got together they probably knew that this wasn't going to be some kind of fling or a relationship that would eventually fizzle out. I think they've been on the super best friends and soulmates train together since the beginning. But stuff like this is so curious to me because of both the phandom's general thought for years of Phil having more experience with sex and relationships than Dan, and how it--at least in my mind--alters that early dynamic between them in that way.

I'm genuinely curious if anyone else has thoughts about this, or what anyone else thinks about this. It's just a thought I had that spiralled into this so I would love to hear other people's thoughts! Please jump down this hole with me lol
I really like reading your thoughts! 'Basically I'm Gay' was So Much that it's complicated to process what Dan shared with us even months later.

In Heartthrob it was obvious how excited Dan was to learn that Bobby had never been kissed even to a casual viewer. Mr. Biceps just became much less intimidating. I don't think Phil needed background knowledge to see that--though we know he has background knowledge, including having been playing this game with Dan with these characters and these cards for 5+ years. What was interesting about the video for me was watching how Phil navigated what to share and what not to when Dan asked him to explain his reasoning. It's also interesting to see Phil's responses, especially near the end there, in text form, because while you can tell he's skeptical or judging in the video, I didn't notice how little he said verbally after Dan agreed that Bobby was like a project. One word answers all the way down.

Spiraling in a slightly different direction: their relative sexual experience wasn't something I'd formed an opinion on, but one of the things that sticks with me rather than the experimenting in 2009 was his description of the 2006 emo stage "stuff"
13:00 People at school were actually almost nice to me with curiosity about [bisexuality] and a few of the boys that previously loved to just generically call me gay while throwing a compass at me or something now started to low key flirt with me. And some stuff happened. Go figure.
There's kind of a theme running through a few of Dan's videos of hooking up with bullies, or bullies wanting to hook up with him. "Stuff happening" obviously isn't super specific; I'm just assuming the stuff was sexual from context. Whatever I did think about Dan's experiences previous to Phil, I pretty uncritically assumed they were with friends or friendly strangers, not the same people who bullied him. I'm not sure if that's naive of me. With the combination of the Heartthrob video, I wonder if Dan would have seen any of those early experiences as 'projects' or people he could heal, or if he was too young and too in need of healing himself to have that perspective.
obsessivelymoody
emo goose

knq wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 5:03 am In Heartthrob it was obvious how excited Dan was to learn that Bobby had never been kissed even to a casual viewer. Mr. Biceps just became much less intimidating. I don't think Phil needed background knowledge to see that--though we know he has background knowledge, including having been playing this game with Dan with these characters and these cards for 5+ years. What was interesting about the video for me was watching how Phil navigated what to share and what not to when Dan asked him to explain his reasoning. It's also interesting to see Phil's responses, especially near the end there, in text form, because while you can tell he's skeptical or judging in the video, I didn't notice how little he said verbally after Dan agreed that Bobby was like a project. One word answers all the way down.

Spiraling in a slightly different direction: their relative sexual experience wasn't something I'd formed an opinion on, but one of the things that sticks with me rather than the experimenting in 2009 was his description of the 2006 emo stage "stuff"
13:00 People at school were actually almost nice to me with curiosity about [bisexuality] and a few of the boys that previously loved to just generically call me gay while throwing a compass at me or something now started to low key flirt with me. And some stuff happened. Go figure.
There's kind of a theme running through a few of Dan's videos of hooking up with bullies, or bullies wanting to hook up with him. "Stuff happening" obviously isn't super specific; I'm just assuming the stuff was sexual from context. Whatever I did think about Dan's experiences previous to Phil, I pretty uncritically assumed they were with friends or friendly strangers, not the same people who bullied him. I'm not sure if that's naive of me. With the combination of the Heartthrob video, I wonder if Dan would have seen any of those early experiences as 'projects' or people he could heal, or if he was too young and too in need of healing himself to have that perspective.
I love this perspective, and I think you're quite right in it. It makes a lot more sense and is more sound than anything I was saying, thank you, it's given me more to reflect on about the topic.
Phanshy
cheeky #spon

Isn't it kind of assumed by most people that Phil has a relationship with Charlieskies before meeting Dan and I'm sure there was another old school youtuber he's supposed to have dated or hooked up with, I personally just think Phil isn't comfortable discussing it with us so it's difficult to get a full picture.
Secretstanner
truth bomb

Phanshy wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 9:21 am Isn't it kind of assumed by most people that Phil has a relationship with Charlieskies before meeting Dan and I'm sure there was another old school youtuber he's supposed to have dated or hooked up with, I personally just think Phil isn't comfortable discussing it with us so it's difficult to get a full picture.
I feel like that’s kind of a old assumption. Is there many people who actually believe he was in a relationship with Charlie? I feel like this is such a ‘Phan timeline’ thing. Didn’t they met once in person before phil was with dan and Charlie was with his bf? They might of had a crush on each other or flirted but I don’t see anymore than that, not with them both being comfortable to jump into relationships.

I guess when I see this discussion it’s always from years ago. Around the time of dan and Charlies falling out, so it has this air of ‘dan stole Phil from Charlie. But does anyone know if Charlie and Stephan started dating before dnp were together or even met?
TuxedoSam
spork

Secretstanner wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 10:18 am
Phanshy wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 9:21 am Isn't it kind of assumed by most people that Phil has a relationship with Charlieskies before meeting Dan and I'm sure there was another old school youtuber he's supposed to have dated or hooked up with, I personally just think Phil isn't comfortable discussing it with us so it's difficult to get a full picture.
I feel like that’s kind of a old assumption. Is there many people who actually believe he was in a relationship with Charlie? I feel like this is such a ‘Phan timeline’ thing. Didn’t they met once in person before phil was with dan and Charlie was with his bf? They might of had a crush on each other or flirted but I don’t see anymore than that, not with them both being comfortable to jump into relationships.

I guess when I see this discussion it’s always from years ago. Around the time of dan and Charlies falling out, so it has this air of ‘dan stole Phil from Charlie. But does anyone know if Charlie and Stephan started dating before dnp were together or even met?
It's kind of impossible to know anything about what happened between charlie and phil, we know nothing but what was posted online. it's not because they posted 1 time about meeting up that that's the only time they did. they seemed very close.
I think it's better to let things of the past in the past and not try to decode it
bluecaterpillar
pumpkin spice pumpkin cookie

felucca made a post about charlie in the faq which i'll quote some of here:
felucca wrote:They communicated frequently per Twitter, Dailybooth, Skype and phone and they had a collab channel together called pabloislove. They met in March of 2009 and filmed a video that Phil at some point removed from his channel prior to 2012. No one appears to have saved the video before deletion. The Zoo Day video thumbnail can be seen on the wayback machine [link] and his tweet promoting the video remains online.

There is nothing definitive stated by either of them at the time to indicate a relationship, and they seemed to fall out of constant contact within a matter of months after meeting in real life. In June of 2009, around the same time Dan and Phil first began talking, Charlie began dating a mutual friend Stephen (3sixty5days). The four of them were friends up until Charlie and Stephen's messy breakup in 2010 that resulted in Charlie breaking Stephen's nose.
i think phil and charlie's supposed 'relationship' to each other gets overexaggerated and made into something it's not because the 2013 twitter drama kept charlie more relevant to the phandom compared to other old-school yters from 09 and earlier who nobody really remembers in connection with dan or phil. the narrative about dan 'stealing' phil doesn't really hold much water when you look at the timeline.

anyway, given how much coty skated over discussing actual relationships, phil's earlier dating life remains a mystery. but given that he said he joined a dating site and used uni as a way to meet other lgbt people on campus, i don't think it's a stretch to assume he was dating/hooking up at least a certain extent, even if he didn't have a super committed relationship or fall in love at that point.
there’s not a star in heaven that we can’t reach