Dan & Phil Part 90: Fish Daddies

Our two favourite full time internet nerds who never go outside!
masterofgeometry
squish
Pronouns: she/her

Slightly unrelated to the topic at hand, but I'm watching the F1 Singapore Grand Prix rn and just had major flashbacks to when they were in SG for the Grand Prix last year. That was a great day :) And it was kind of fun to play Where's DnP in all of the crowd shots.

Edit: Oh hey, first top of the page! :rainbowtears:
noodlebum
flower crown

Ok I'm not clueless or an anon, I just wasn't jumping straight onto moving hill as much as I'd love to. Like to keep my expectations low I guess! Is just a part of me being doubtful, no use me pretending to everyone it isn't there (or I guess I could, if I didn't post, haha). I'm not delusional or being hetero normative saying that... at least I'd hope I'm not. If they did move into their next place together that would be proof enough of their relationship of course, and to be honest it already should be - no other reason 2 rich guys need to live together I guess. Just a small but-what-if part of me has wondered... Anyway!
Phanshy
cheeky #spon

noodlebum wrote: Sun Sep 22, 2019 2:17 pm Ok I'm not clueless or an anon, I just wasn't jumping straight onto moving hill as much as I'd love to. Like to keep my expectations low I guess! Is just a part of me being doubtful, no use me pretending to everyone it isn't there (or I guess I could, if I didn't post, haha). I'm not delusional or being hetero normative saying that... at least I'd hope I'm not. If they did move into their next place together that would be proof enough of their relationship of course, and to be honest it already should be - no other reason 2 rich guys need to live together I guess. Just a small but-what-if part of me has wondered... Anyway!
I completely agree for me I'm 99.99% sure they're a couple, before BIG & COTY I was probably 99.98% sure, for me personally it is them deliberately not saying we're a couple that puts the tiny little doubt in my mind, I hate that it's there but it is, I get they want to guard their private lives and I completely understand that but I wish they'd just confirmed it and said we don't want our relationship to be the focus of our content and we want to keep it private so we won't discuss it.
People do have platonic soul mates although I'm not sure how many would be someone's ex.
The fact that Dan choose his words so carefully in BIG adds to it, rather than it being a off the cuff comment plus the cute mutuals thing kinda sat weird with me. (I know everyone thinks it's just Dan's humour)
parallel
phabergé

I'll preface this by saying that, obviously, Deppy are romantically involved. But even if they weren't, even if they were legitimately just purely platonic best bros, they clearly still love each other. They've been with each other for so long (nearly a decade now, and over a decade since they started talking). You can see that they love each other from the way they act around each other, from how long they've lived together and moved together, from all of their Big Life Things they've done together, from the way they talk about each other (especially Dan in BIG). Even if they were the most platonic of bros (which they are not), it wouldn't matter. They would still want to live together. What would've changed in the past two years that would make them want to live separately?

See, I don't view their relationship as just romantic. As Dan himself said, it's "more than romantic". I don't think whether or not it's a romantic relationship really matters in this; what matters is that they love each other (romantically, yes, but it would apply regardless).

In conclusion, they are moving and they are moving together. Also they love each other, romantically as well as more than romantically.
flarequake
not an airport stalker
Pronouns: She/her

It probably didn’t help that right after Phil tweeted about the new WiFi, Dan came in with the landlord re the flooding bath as if he’s still in the old apartment, but the theory I’ve seen for that is them loving to play with us, cheeky gits.
Jolyne
not a first-time poster

Them tweeting so soon after each other just convinced me that they probably spoke to each other and planned their tweets together beforehand, maybe as buildup to the big moving announcement.
kavat
pastel persona

flarequake wrote: Sun Sep 22, 2019 3:45 pm It probably didn’t help that right after Phil tweeted about the new WiFi, Dan came in with the landlord re the flooding bath as if he’s still in the old apartment, but the theory I’ve seen for that is them loving to play with us, cheeky gits.
    It makes total sense to me, when you move out the landlord usually does an inspection to see that it's fit for the next tenants or if you'll get your deposit back. I think he just twisted the words a little bit, as they often do.

I personally see 0% chance of them moving apart. There's no evidence of that at all for me. I know that sometimes we can project our own anxieties onto others, I'll admit I've done that in the past. But if we look at the information we have, I just see two men in a committed long term relationship figuring out how to live their lives in a sustainable way.
    noodlebum
    flower crown

flarequake wrote: Sun Sep 22, 2019 3:45 pm It probably didn’t help that right after Phil tweeted about the new WiFi, Dan came in with the landlord re the flooding bath as if he’s still in the old apartment, but the theory I’ve seen for that is them loving to play with us, cheeky gits.
    Exactly, same with the cute mutuals comment - think am just very literal! :lol:
    Ataraxia25
    flower crown
    Pronouns: they/them

Phanshy wrote: Sun Sep 22, 2019 3:22 pm
    noodlebum wrote: Sun Sep 22, 2019 2:17 pm Ok I'm not clueless or an anon, I just wasn't jumping straight onto moving hill as much as I'd love to. Like to keep my expectations low I guess! Is just a part of me being doubtful, no use me pretending to everyone it isn't there (or I guess I could, if I didn't post, haha). I'm not delusional or being hetero normative saying that... at least I'd hope I'm not. If they did move into their next place together that would be proof enough of their relationship of course, and to be honest it already should be - no other reason 2 rich guys need to live together I guess. Just a small but-what-if part of me has wondered... Anyway!
    I completely agree for me I'm 99.99% sure they're a couple, before BIG & COTY I was probably 99.98% sure, for me personally it is them deliberately not saying we're a couple that puts the tiny little doubt in my mind, I hate that it's there but it is, I get they want to guard their private lives and I completely understand that but I wish they'd just confirmed it and said we don't want our relationship to be the focus of our content and we want to keep it private so we won't discuss it.
    People do have platonic soul mates although I'm not sure how many would be someone's ex.
    The fact that Dan choose his words so carefully in BIG adds to it, rather than it being a off the cuff comment plus the cute mutuals thing kinda sat weird with me. (I know everyone thinks it's just Dan's humour)
    But that's exactly what Dan explained in BIG. They do not want to confirm it because it's their private life. And they don't have to say it because it would make the life of a few people in the phandom easier.
    I also think they are not naive and they know we would keep talking about their relationship, whether it is "official" or not.

They made their relationship official and the fact that they didn't use exact words doesn't make it any less true. So, i'm not a fan of the "I get they want to guard their private lives and I completely understand that but"
    Let me add that it's nothing against you at all! :lilheart: I just think that nobody should talk about their private life if they don't want to, especially a gay couple that has already been outed.
    :gayaf:
    flarequake
    not an airport stalker

kavat wrote: Sun Sep 22, 2019 5:10 pm
      It makes total sense to me, when you move out the landlord usually does an inspection to see that it's fit for the next tenants or if you'll get your deposit back. I think he just twisted the words a little bit, as they often do.
      Yeah, it does to me too, though I didn’t think of it at first, I just meant it didn’t add up at first glance maybe because cheeky troll.
      Amiaw
      interactive introvert

Does anyone think the next AP video is going to be about the move or do you think they’ll haru it?
      Scout
      squish
      Pronouns: She/Her

Amiaw wrote: Sun Sep 22, 2019 9:03 pm Does anyone think the next AP video is going to be about the move or do you think they’ll haru it?
      Definitely Haru it
      :lesbianflag:
      alittledizzy
      actual demon phannie
      actual demon phannie

For anyone that's too worried about Dan and Phil no longer being together... the update for AmazingPhil community members should be pretty reassuring for you!
      AmazingPhil wrote:As I said at the end of my 'Draw My Life' I wanted a bit of time to catch up with some friends and family, so I had a lil break up north to see some peeps and also you might have seen on twitter that Dan and I GOT A FISH! Turns out Norman was the new hobby I needed, I'm a crazy fish guy now. He's settled in well and whenever the TV is on he sits on his lil leaf and watches it! So he definitely takes after me. I did start watching a cooking show about sushi and felt instantly guilty. Soz Norm.
      :betta:
      Susanisnotafish
      flower crown

Aw, they have a nickname for Norman! Norm makes me think of Cheers.
      "Rub those freckles all over me!" --Daniel Howell
      noodlebum
      flower crown

Ok they're definitely co parenting - I take it all back :lol:
      rizzo
      unduly facetious
      unduly facetious

Ya know... the recent convo here really got me thinking. I'm not 100% convinced Dan intended for he and Phil's relationship status to still be murky after BIG. I feel like.... phandom may have made it that way?

After all, he says "what Phil and I had was ours and personal" and more specifically:
      And I bet so many people wanna know so much more about that which, honestly, I take as a compliment, but here's the thing... I'm somebody who wants to keep the details of my personal life private. So is Phil."
      Nothing about that seems vague or past tense to me. He's clarified the relationship and now wants you to know that they're not intending to delve any deeper into it.

Honestly, when that video initially came out and before discussion really began in full, I was of the opinion that he very much confirmed it. And I wonder if it bothers him or Phil that people are still questioning the situation.

Perhaps all this mild panic people keep going through is annoying to them in that they really don't want to talk about it anymore, but somehow didn't manage to clarify it to people's liking.
      noodlebum
      flower crown

As things move on for both of them with life in general, I'm sure it'll be more obvious for everyone, without them still saying any more on the topic, just through how they move forward with their lives and certain life events etc. Just hard while in this weird post-coming-out universe settling period still.

I'm like 95% sure, but also don't like to presume things so always keep that little bit of doubt going just in case...

In other news, come on Phil PLEASE make your next video wholesome Norman content :betta2: Norman timelapse, talking through the tank building process, Betta facts etc etc :love2:
      alittledizzy
      actual demon phannie
      actual demon phannie

I do also think he meant for it to be confirmed, but didn't want soundbytes that people/media would use to overshadow the content of the video. I bet it is frustrating that people overlook the intent to solely focus on the wording sometimes, though, whether or not they're surprised by it.

But I also guess since the wording was all about those boundary lines between what is public and what is private, at the end of the day they probably don't hate it if it means it keeps the spotlight off them as a couple?
      rizzo
      unduly facetious
      unduly facetious

Frankly, what Dan needs to do is post a tweet that's something like: "when you spend an entire evening baking brownies you've been craving for a week and your boyfriend drops them on the floor" with a picture of said spilled brownies.

But tbh, then people will panic about who Dan's new boyfriend is. So, I guess in the end it's all futile.
      parallel
      phabergé

rizzo wrote: Mon Sep 23, 2019 2:07 pm Ya know... the recent convo here really got me thinking. I'm not 100% convinced Dan intended for he and Phil's relationship status to still be murky after BIG. I feel like.... phandom may have made it that way?
      Yeah I never thought it was meant to be ambiguous tbh. I had always interpreted that line as "yes we are together, but the specific details about our relationship are private". It doesn't really make sense if he wanted plausible deniability, because there's no way you can say all that about your ex. If he had wanted their relationship to be read either way, then he could've worded it so many other ways, but he chose to call Phil his soulmate, chose to talk about how important and more-than-friends Phil is/was to him.

If he did phrase it like that on purpose, then I would agree with dizzy in that he's confirming it to viewers while outside onlookers (e.g. the media) don't have the ability to make this about Phan.

I suppose he's confirming it by process of elimination as opposed to stating it: no other option makes sense, so they have to be (present tense) in a long-term romantic relationship. As opposed to just stating that, he's just made it so that it can't be any other option, therefore it has to be that.
      Birdie
      blobfish
      Pronouns: they/them

I mean, I was literally always on about how I didn't want to assume anything before BIG. But there's no need to assume stuff anymore because it's confirmed. The language Dan used, you don't use that language talking about a close friend. And since they've always portrayed themselves as close friends, what's there to keep private about that anyway?

I do think that these doubts partly stem from heteronormative worldviews, but I also think that it's partly on D&P as well. And don't get me wrong, I get them 100%. I understand why they didn't come out sooner and with all that context, I also get why Dan reacted so badly in 2012. But I do think that what happened in 2012 and them denying it for so long made people unsure how to treat this subject. I was one of those people for so long, as a gay person myself who always thought it would be lovely if they actually were queer. But they planted those doubts themselves and they did it on purpose and I 100% get why.

Anyways, I also think Dan confirmed it and I actually think it was important to him to confirm it but without making it seem like their relationship was fair game now. I think he did pretty well, actually, but there's so much context (not just their history, also our heteronormative society etc.) and that's probably why so many people still have doubts.
      flarequake
      not an airport stalker

Another cute merch team photo

Ooh, I’m wholesome now.
      susan2
      rainbow nerd

that Phil pose givin me flashbacks
      kavat
      pastel persona

susan2 wrote: Mon Sep 23, 2019 9:47 pm that Phil pose givin me flashbacks
      Gosh, they both look absolutely terrified in that picture. When you know how comfortable and confident they can be in photo shoots now, the difference is massive.
      Bookworman355
      phillion/danosaur <//3

kavat wrote: Tue Sep 24, 2019 8:36 am
      susan2 wrote: Mon Sep 23, 2019 9:47 pm that Phil pose givin me flashbacks
      Gosh, they both look absolutely terrified in that picture. When you know how comfortable and confident they can be in photo shoots now, the difference is massive.
      If feel like if we’re talking about awkward photo shoots we can’t forget this one :lol: