Dan & Phil Part 90: Fish Daddies

Our two favourite full time internet nerds who never go outside!
knq
lava lamp
Pronouns: she/her

I dream about an uploading schedule so consistent that when dnp don't upload a video that week they upload a video about how the first video failed.

... That's a lie. I actually can't imagine Dan or Phil being that reliable. Which isn't meant to sound salty. It's just not who I perceive them to be or where I perceive their priorities to be. I assume Phil is occupied being a writer and director who works on projects he can't really talk about until he's certain they'll be made while Dan is occupied trying to grow a mustache.

I'm sure we'll hear from them in 2021 when Dan has grown one of those twirly mustaches and Phil has produced the gayer sequel to Buffy.

Which reminds me: remember at the beginning of the year as we left behind twenty-gay-teen, twenty-bi-teen was proposed as a nickname for 2019? They both came out as :gayaf: in twenty-bi-teen. Way to be off brand, guys.
Templeofshame
rainbow nerd

obsessivelymoody wrote: Thu Sep 19, 2019 5:23 pm The thing is with saying they aren't doing anything is that we have no idea what's happening behind the scenes. I think DML2 and both coming out videos really cement that point.
I think this is very true, but also an easy way for people to get their hopes up too much? I'm definitely team low expectations overall, but I see a lot of people getting excited about how one thing or another must mean Big Project Soon and it just seems like a good way to be disappointed. Yes, when they're not posting they may well be working on all sorts of secret projects... but we could easily never see most (or any) of them come to light. (And of course even if they do, they're not necessarily going to be relevant/interesting/accessible to everyone.) For every tour/book/game/radio show, we also have didn't renovate a house, didn't have a travel show, didn't start a line of expensive back jewelry, didn't run a marathon, etc., and I'm sure an array of projects and ideas we'll never hear about at all.

I guess there's an element of trees falling in the forest and not being heard; I totally hope they're working on things that they enjoy and I appreciate that they're real people with lives outside of what we can consume, but the existence of theoretical things we may never know about doesn't actually change the experience of being in the phandom unless/until those things become actual things we know about.
Amiaw
interactive introvert

My thoughts on content right now are that I expect absolutely nothing. I’d love a new video or even a members post from Phil but I don’t have expectations for any new content this year. Phil did say he was going to continue to post and that they’d continue to pop up in each other’s stuff from time to time but we’ve heard similar things before. I’m not saying they’ll never post again and they could prove me wrong by dropping a video soon but I have the impression we aren’t the priority right now.
knq
lava lamp

Amiaw wrote: Thu Sep 19, 2019 6:28 pm My thoughts on content right now are that I expect absolutely nothing. I’d love a new video or even a members post from Phil but I don’t have expectations for any new content this year. Phil did say he was going to continue to post and that they’d continue to pop up in each other’s stuff from time to time but we’ve heard similar things before. I’m not saying they’ll never post again and they could prove me wrong by dropping a video soon but I have the impression we aren’t the priority right now.
I generally agree, but I wouldn't be too surprised if Phil's tweet about Wish ended up being a video. It was a $4 squid hat. How could he not have bought it?

After some thought, I'd like to update my prediction for Dan's twirly mustache to 2024. These things can't be rushed.
flarequake
not an airport stalker
Pronouns: She/her

If we’re not the priority, they’re gambling that enough of us will still be here after 9 months now of waiting and wondering. They’re lucky bastards that us saps will be, enough came back after big and coty, though kpop has been a big draw away from them too.
Amiaw
interactive introvert

Slightly off topic but apparently YT changed their verification eligibility today and unverified a lot of creators. People on twitter are saying that Dan’s account no longer shows as verified on the mobile app but it does on desktop - I haven’t checked so I don’t know but I did come across this tweet
flarequake
not an airport stalker

I’m not sure it’s changed yet. Their channel names don’t have anything and neither does Tomska’s, checking against him cos he said he hasn’t lost it.
Becky.rigby
living flop

flarequake wrote: Thu Sep 19, 2019 7:01 pm If we’re not the priority, they’re gambling that enough of us will still be here after 9 months now of waiting and wondering. They’re lucky bastards that us saps will be, enough came back after big and coty, though kpop has been a big draw away from them too.
Exactly, people will end up getting fed up even the most hardcore fans (maybe that is what they are hoping?) They are so lucky their fanbase is so understanding to be honest but I know at lot of people who used to watch them that don't anymore. I just think it shows respect to people that are supporting you to keep them informed.
Becky.rigby
living flop

:tumbleweed:
Amiaw wrote: Thu Sep 19, 2019 7:43 pm Slightly off topic but apparently YT changed their verification eligibility today and unverified a lot of creators. People on twitter are saying that Dan’s account no longer shows as verified on the mobile app but it does on desktop - I haven’t checked so I don’t know but I did come across this tweet
Just checked and Phil's has a tick next to his YouTube and yep Dan's doesn't on the mobile version, haven't checked desktop though. That's weird that its only for certain creators.
Secretstanner
truth bomb

Becky.rigby wrote: Thu Sep 19, 2019 7:53 pm :tumbleweed:
Amiaw wrote: Thu Sep 19, 2019 7:43 pm Slightly off topic but apparently YT changed their verification eligibility today and unverified a lot of creators. People on twitter are saying that Dan’s account no longer shows as verified on the mobile app but it does on desktop - I haven’t checked so I don’t know but I did come across this tweet
Just checked and Phil's has a tick next to his YouTube and yep Dan's doesn't on the mobile version, haven't checked desktop though. That's weird that its only for certain creators.
It’s weird and makes no sense. I have a screenshot of before BIG was uploaded on June 2nd, there is no mark next to his name. But I saw on twitter someone has a screenshot from end of July and the mark is there but Is gone now. This is on mobile btw I havnt checked desktop.
Amiaw
interactive introvert

The checkmarks still show next to comments Dan has made on videos so idk?
kay
phabergé

They both have the grey checkmarks on their profiles on desktop.
Sami
squish

I'm confused, in Dan's latest ig story he is on a plane but I thought they drove to France because of Colin???
Hoot hoot, b*tch - Phil Lester 2019
Amiaw
interactive introvert

I suspect he’s been back since yesterday, maybe even Tuesday night but yeah I am also confused about him flying back
Birdie
blobfish
Pronouns: they/them

Becky.rigby wrote: Thu Sep 19, 2019 7:51 pm
flarequake wrote: Thu Sep 19, 2019 7:01 pm If we’re not the priority, they’re gambling that enough of us will still be here after 9 months now of waiting and wondering. They’re lucky bastards that us saps will be, enough came back after big and coty, though kpop has been a big draw away from them too.
Exactly, people will end up getting fed up even the most hardcore fans (maybe that is what they are hoping?) They are so lucky their fanbase is so understanding to be honest but I know at lot of people who used to watch them that don't anymore. I just think it shows respect to people that are supporting you to keep them informed.
Basically. I'm glad they're happy and living their best lives in private. If that's what they want to do, cool. If they wanna leave Youtube, become sheepherders and knit wooly jumpers for the rest of eternity, cool. Just... tell us. This has been bothering me for a while now because it feels like they just expect us to stick around no matter what... and we do, so it's working but I'm not happy with how there is never clear information from them.

Other than that, I'm pretty sure Phil will be back with something like a regular schedule (aka 1-3 videos a month) in a while. He still seems passionate about Youtube and his mini rebrand at the start of the year would make no sense if he planned to retire from Youtube. Also I feel like he wouldn't have come out to us if he intended to leave the platform. Dan, I'm not sure. He went on this hiatus for a reason and I don't think that reason was just BIG. He's talked about experiencing creative blocks and breakdowns and those are horrible and can last for years so we'll have to wait and see, I guess.
Phanshy
cheeky #spon

Maybe he met them there or came home separate, I think it's quite normal for families who live in different places to meet up at the holiday destination. Honestly traveling with family can be super stressful.
Secretstanner
truth bomb

Phanshy wrote: Thu Sep 19, 2019 9:53 pm Maybe he met them there or came home separate, I think it's quite normal for families who live in different places to meet up at the holiday destination. Honestly traveling with family can be super stressful.
Yeah of course. But I think it was him saying he can’t leave earlier and they drove there, which is why most of us assumed he’d be driving back with them. I mean it makes sense it’s easier for him to just get a plane straight back. I wouldn’t want to drive back to reading then get a train home. I don’t think they would mind he spent 2 weeks with them and it just makes sense to do it that way.
autumnhearth
senpai

Katka wrote: Thu Sep 19, 2019 9:35 pm
Basically. I'm glad they're happy and living their best lives in private. If that's what they want to do, cool. If they wanna leave Youtube, become sheepherders and knit wooly jumpers for the rest of eternity, cool. Just... tell us. This has been bothering me for a while now because it feels like they just expect us to stick around no matter what... and we do, so it's working but I'm not happy with how there is never clear information from them.

Other than that, I'm pretty sure Phil will be back with something like a regular schedule (aka 1-3 videos a month) in a while. He still seems passionate about Youtube and his mini rebrand at the start of the year would make no sense if he planned to retire from Youtube. Also I feel like he wouldn't have come out to us if he intended to leave the platform. Dan, I'm not sure. He went on this hiatus for a reason and I don't think that reason was just BIG. He's talked about experiencing creative blocks and breakdowns and those are horrible and can last for years so we'll have to wait and see, I guess.
I’m curious about how different people define “sticking around”. Like what does that really mean/take? Keeping notifications on? Engaging in fandom spaces? Not finding another hyper-fixation? Just caring? I hear more frequently from Dan and Phil than from most friends and family members. Does that mean I feel hurt or resentful that regular communication was no longer a priority (obviously this goes two ways with other relations, not one way with creator-subscribers) and won’t want to have a nice catch up with them after months or years? No. I can be annoyed about lack of communication from my family when there is an event coming up, but there’s nothing I need to hear from D&P that actually affects the running of my life (except live events and yes tour date info communication was a valid complaint).

But what contract is there between creators and their audience besides paid memberships? I don’t expect them to do anything *for* us anymore. Let’s be honest, giving the people what they want was an uncomfortable and unhealthy albeit creative and lucrative way for Dan to passive aggressively vent his issues with phandom behavior, while also connecting with us and trying to understand who we are (whoops I didn’t intend to go there). Still I don’t make decisions on purchasing merchandise based on how much other content has been put out (says the girl who unsubscribed from their newsletters in a fit of rage after the merch drop immediately following Dan’s “still alive” selfie.) But rationally the item itself is a creation of theirs and thus it’s own content and I’ll only buy it if I love it and can afford it.

This isn’t specifically aimed at you Katka, I’ve heard things about Dan and Phil “expecting us to stick around” for years. Obviously everyone’s feelings are valid, but perhaps we all need to think about what we are expecting and why. Because in the end we get to decide what we invest our time and emotions in. Sure there’s not a day that goes by where I don’t think about them a dozen times, but I’ve stopped wish from the “to just breathe”. You can still enjoy a video, a tweet or picture when it is posted or at the end of the day without waiting with baited breath. I understand that for those who have been in this fandom longer and drew comfort from weekly liveshows that it would feel like falling out of touch with a friend and that sucks, but I don’t think liveshows are the best format for them anymore. Sure Phil did them as a way to cheer us up and Dan did them to express his thoughts and receive validation, but they were also making thousands of dollars while doing that. Clearly they no longer need that extra income, so why deal with any anxiety that came with it? Sometimes feeling like you have to keep in touch is exhausting. That’s why I’m just looking forward to that casual sit on the floor dinner where they catch up with us, like you would with an old friend.

Please note that I am a massive hypocrite and am writing this for myself as much as anyone else. Sorry it was all over the place.
poweroftriangles
pumpkin spice pumpkin cookie
Pronouns: he/him

I think about Dan's album cycle comment a lot. As part of the first generation of internet personalities, they also have to figure out what pattern of content-creation and rest is healthy because there are no norms.

That isn't even taking into account the massive shift in their lives due to BIG+COTY. If they want to err on the side of caution regarding waiting till the limelight dies... I quite get that. Maybe they're waiting till a point when the people sticking around are their core viewers, who would have picked up on their various small hints over the years anyway, so that their every move won't be scrutinised.

Not saying I wouldn't do a blood sacrifice for joint content if I was sure it would work.
anti-YouNow club :sarcasticclap:
Phantasy
woodland creature

bluecaterpillar wrote: Thu Sep 19, 2019 5:44 pm i'm feeling a bit more upbeat today and thought i'd share this tumblr blog i found very recently, commemorating ten years of dan and phil.
i am very much enjoying their real-time walkthrough of the 2009 phan timeline. dnp have come such a long way since then but it's nice to go back to the beginning and remember how it all started. i am such a massive sucker for nostalgia lol if 2019 dan and phil are too busy reassessing their careers or getting a life to give me much content right now, i'll take fetus!phan as a welcome distraction instead
Makes me wonder if they celebrate anniversaries... with the 10th anniversary of their 1st meeting/ date/ kiss in a month, I wonder if they have anything planned or if they even get sentimental about such things.
obsessivelymoody
emo goose

Phantasy wrote: Fri Sep 20, 2019 2:32 am
bluecaterpillar wrote: Thu Sep 19, 2019 5:44 pm i'm feeling a bit more upbeat today and thought i'd share this tumblr blog i found very recently, commemorating ten years of dan and phil.
i am very much enjoying their real-time walkthrough of the 2009 phan timeline. dnp have come such a long way since then but it's nice to go back to the beginning and remember how it all started. i am such a massive sucker for nostalgia lol if 2019 dan and phil are too busy reassessing their careers or getting a life to give me much content right now, i'll take fetus!phan as a welcome distraction instead
Makes me wonder if they celebrate anniversaries... with the 10th anniversary of their 1st meeting/ date/ kiss in a month, I wonder if they have anything planned or if they even get sentimental about such things.
Seeing as they're both people who are generally sentimental about things (the fact that Dan still has the paper with the original pinof questions, the whole twitter thing about the sharpie from pinof, Phil generally hating change etc,) I think they do have their own private anniversaries where they can be mushy together on their own. October 19th has been for the past 5 ish years—and I expect will continue to be—more for the fans to celebrate. I've always imaged they probably do more stuff in December anyway, since that's when we know they went "official".
flarequake
not an airport stalker

That’s a good point about what does it look like and also about album cycles and their new normal. If we’re not in the era of 2 videos a month from Phil or even one a month from either of them, they can just tell us, we’ll know not to be expecting and disappointed, still wondering and waiting on them. Otherwise, yes, can carry on amongst ourselves. I don’t like being left while they know, even if they’re just on a break still, they could say so. We’ve possibly all had people f- off, I didn’t expect them to go silent too, it’s a let down by someone I thought I could trust more than that.
glitterintheair
phillluminati

Dan and Phil not knowing a thing about communication? What else is new.

We're here talking about a mukbang, possibly in October, or Festive baking, etc. but like, are we ACTUALLY gonna get either of those things? Not knowing if there's something we can look forward to without any 'if' or 'maybe' is hard. I know Phil said he wouldn't leave YT, that he knows we love the Bants™, but I am someone who values actions more than words and the actions so far have been... well, you know.

I am glad if people can still have a good fandom experience without content, but I am not one of those. I am bored.
I'm a winter flower underground, always thirsty for summer rain.
Birdie
blobfish
Pronouns: they/them

autumnhearth wrote: Fri Sep 20, 2019 1:16 am
Katka wrote: Thu Sep 19, 2019 9:35 pm

I’m curious about how different people define “sticking around”. Like what does that really mean/take? Keeping notifications on? Engaging in fandom spaces? Not finding another hyper-fixation? Just caring? I hear more frequently from Dan and Phil than from most friends and family members. Does that mean I feel hurt or resentful that regular communication was no longer a priority (obviously this goes two ways with other relations, not one way with creator-subscribers) and won’t want to have a nice catch up with them after months or years? No. I can be annoyed about lack of communication from my family when there is an event coming up, but there’s nothing I need to hear from D&P that actually affects the running of my life (except live events and yes tour date info communication was a valid complaint).

But what contract is there between creators and their audience besides paid memberships? I don’t expect them to do anything *for* us anymore. Let’s be honest, giving the people what they want was an uncomfortable and unhealthy albeit creative and lucrative way for Dan to passive aggressively vent his issues with phandom behavior, while also connecting with us and trying to understand who we are (whoops I didn’t intend to go there). Still I don’t make decisions on purchasing merchandise based on how much other content has been put out (says the girl who unsubscribed from their newsletters in a fit of rage after the merch drop immediately following Dan’s “still alive” selfie.) But rationally the item itself is a creation of theirs and thus it’s own content and I’ll only buy it if I love it and can afford it.

This isn’t specifically aimed at you Katka, I’ve heard things about Dan and Phil “expecting us to stick around” for years. Obviously everyone’s feelings are valid, but perhaps we all need to think about what we are expecting and why. Because in the end we get to decide what we invest our time and emotions in. Sure there’s not a day that goes by where I don’t think about them a dozen times, but I’ve stopped wish from the “to just breathe”. You can still enjoy a video, a tweet or picture when it is posted or at the end of the day without waiting with baited breath. I understand that for those who have been in this fandom longer and drew comfort from weekly liveshows that it would feel like falling out of touch with a friend and that sucks, but I don’t think liveshows are the best format for them anymore. Sure Phil did them as a way to cheer us up and Dan did them to express his thoughts and receive validation, but they were also making thousands of dollars while doing that. Clearly they no longer need that extra income, so why deal with any anxiety that came with it? Sometimes feeling like you have to keep in touch is exhausting. That’s why I’m just looking forward to that casual sit on the floor dinner where they catch up with us, like you would with an old friend.

Please note that I am a massive hypocrite and am writing this for myself as much as anyone else. Sorry it was all over the place.
All I meant was just... clear communication, I guess. Like I said, if they don't want to make new content ever, good for them, I just want to be told. With most creators, when they go on hiatus, they tell you for how long. If they don't know that, they say so. You can rely on just being informed when to expect them back, if ever. I really liked how Lilly Singh handled her hiatus for instance (which also included her coming out so I think it's a similar situation in a way, even if hers was more lowkey). We don't get that with Dan and Phil and it kind of makes it hard to support them for me. I feel taken for granted and that's probably on me, but having to wait around for any kind of information on what's going to happen next is exhausting.

It's not that I expect them to make content for us every two weeks or I'm out. I don't mean stay in touch and make live shows and videos and instagram stories all the time. Just... tweet. Like I said, they need to do what they want to do and if that doesn't include Youtube, great, I'll support that. But... tell us. All I want is a tweet now and then informing us what exactly is happening. Because we're all here speculating why they won't upload, what's happening behind the scenes etc. and we wouldn't have to do any of this if they'd just tweet that they need some private time or whatever the reason actually is. That's all I'm asking and I don't think that's too much to expect from a creator you support. :shrug:

Anyways, this is super personal and I think it's fine to feel this way but it's also fine to be okay with the situation as it is. It's whatever in the end because they'll handle this how they wanna handle it and that's that. But I do feel strung along, you know, and maybe that's silly because in the end they're "just creators" and it's "just entertainment" and it's not that deep but anyways.
flarequake wrote:That’s a good point about what does it look like and also about album cycles and their new normal. If we’re not in the era of 2 videos a month from Phil or even one a month from either of them, they can just tell us, we’ll know not to be expecting and disappointed, still wondering and waiting on them. Otherwise, yes, can carry on amongst ourselves. I don’t like being left while they know, even if they’re just on a break still, they could say so. We’ve possibly all had people f- off, I didn’t expect them to go silent too, it’s a let down by someone I thought I could trust more than that.
I wrote all that and this is basically exactly what I meant, especially the bolded, so +1.
sapienveneficus
rainbow nerd

glitterintheair wrote: Fri Sep 20, 2019 10:29 am Dan and Phil not knowing a thing about communication? What else is new.

We're here talking about a mukbang, possibly in October, or Festive baking, etc. but like, are we ACTUALLY gonna get either of those things? Not knowing if there's something we can look forward to without any 'if' or 'maybe' is hard. I know Phil said he wouldn't leave YT, that he knows we love the Bants™, but I am someone who values actions more than words and the actions so far have been... well, you know.

I am glad if people can still have a good fandom experience without content, but I am not one of those. I am bored.
You bring up a good point. I too have been growing increasingly frustrated/disillusioned as this hiatus or new normal or whatever we're calling it these days has dragged on. My goodness, September's more than halfway over, and we still have no idea what either of them are planning to do in terms on content this year (if anything). Dan's made one video this year (and now I guess he's good until 2020?), Phil was posting semi-regularly this spring, but even that seems to have ended, and who knows what they're doing about joint content (RIP 90% of their videos, I guess).

To get back to your point about words, I'm in a place now where I don't believe anything Dan and Phil say, which, upon reflection, makes me sad. I remember at the end of December, back when I was young and naive I suppose, feeling a bit blindsided by all the revelations in their end of year liveshow. I daresay we all felt that way. But I believed them when they said they needed a bit of a creative break from the gaming channel. That made sense to me. I also believed them when they said nothing else would change.

After almost a year of broken promises, I no longer have faith in what they say. I hate that. I miss them, and I want them to say something true so I can get on the path to believing them again.
"Someone, somewhere is into that." Daniel Howell