The Dan and Phil Survey

Our two favourite full time internet nerds who never go outside!
missemma
#teamshavedsides
#teamshavedsides
Pronouns: she/her

This thread is for discussing the Dan and Phil Survey.
We waited until the dust settled some, and now... the Dan and Phil Survey is back for 2019!

If you’re unfamiliar with what we do: this survey aims to gain a better understanding of what people who watch Dan and Phil are actually like through a series of multiple choice questions, including those about age, social media use, and how people view and interact with the content that Dan and Phil produce and the fandom around them. You can view the survey results from previous years here.

All responses are anonymous, so please be as honest as possible. Upon completion the results will be posted on tumblr and open for all to view. If you have any questions, we can be found on tumblr here or twitter here.

:laptoprat: CLICK HERE TO TAKE THE SURVEY :laptoprat:

The accuracy of this survey is dependent upon you guys. Any help you can give for exposure by posting links on social media, or reblogging/retweeting our posts would be highly appreciated!

Thank you, and please share it on whatever fandom social media you have! The more responses we get, the more accurate the survey results will be.

On a personal note: I'd just like to thank lefthandedism and itasca00 for all of the hours of work they've put into this. They've truly been an inspiration to watch and to work with on it!
[/quote]

We wanted to see how the Phandom has changed in the last year given that 2018 has blessed us with a lot of fabulous moments so we have bought the Dan and Phil survey back for another year.

You can take the survey by clicking here

The last Dan and Phil survey was taken during July 2017 and the results can be seen here: https://danandphilsurvey.tumblr.com/results2017

This survey was created in the interest of learning more about the demographic of the Phandom and otherwise identified Dan and Phil viewers as a whole, as you may have heard before you were linked here. The survey will be live for a tentative 2 months, and upon completion, the results will be dispersed from the main blog, which you can find at danandphilsurvey.tumblr.com. As we're hoping to get a large amount of varying Dan and Phil viewers, it would be helpful if you were willing to tweet/reblog/share the survey link or a link to the blog in whatever way you see fit. Posting in youtube comments would be the most helpful, as we're aiming for a more balanced outreach of viewers.
Use this link for sharing the survey: https://goo.gl/forms/SCEMeT57Sp8Cd9Xi2

All responses are anonymous, so please be as honest as possible, and be sure to read all questions thoroughly. The survey should take about 10 minutes to complete. Good luck!

Additional information and any updates will be posted on danandphilsurvey.tumblr.com and twitter.com/danphilsurvey

Art credit: https://likewarm.tumblr.com

The survey is not affiliated with Dan or Phil.
:prideheart: :gayaf: :prideheart:
greenergrass
stress mushroom

Loving the survey so far! <3

Just one note - for the question "If you have purchased something from the Dan and Phil Shop, were you happy with your purchase?" there's no option to say you haven't purchased something. And since you have to answer the question, everyone who hasn't purchased something will have to say 'no'. This will skew the answers towards no, even if most people who purchased something were happy with their purchase, so when you eventually post the results you might want to make note of this

edit - I just went back to the page, and it now has that option available lol so you can disregard this
mermaid blood
Moderator Emeritus

eeeee SO excited to see the counter go up as people are taking it! this was a tough one, we spent countless hundreds of hours revising a lot of things for analysis so i'm really glad people are participating and enjoying the experience.

@whatdoiknow probably because of those aforementioned delirious months we didn't even pick up on a few little mistakes, so keep pointing them out in here as you notice them, and we're revising pretty quickly. thanks for letting us know!
art in avatar by lily
MythicalPinkTrashCan
phabergé

Google+ phandom!? Does google+ have a big enough usage where people have phandom experiences on there, nevermind just... being on there. I'd love links
Catallena
classy cat lady
classy cat lady

MythicalPinkTrashCan wrote: Tue Jun 12, 2018 3:06 pm Google+ phandom!? Does google+ have a big enough usage where people have phandom experiences on there, nevermind just... being on there. I'd love links
I asked that exact same question last year and got this screenshot as a response:
Phannies are truly everywhere.
Twitter *•.(★).•* Tumblr
MythicalPinkTrashCan
phabergé

Catallena wrote: Thu Jun 14, 2018 1:12 am
MythicalPinkTrashCan wrote: Tue Jun 12, 2018 3:06 pm Google+ phandom!? Does google+ have a big enough usage where people have phandom experiences on there, nevermind just... being on there. I'd love links
I asked that exact same question last year and got this screenshot as a response:
Phannies are truly everywhere.
goodbye idb migrating to google+
parallel
phabergé

I wonder if the results spreadsheet will be made public? I know the results were made public last time but I can't remember if the spreadsheet was, or just the individual separated questions. Would be cool to see things like correlation between two answers.
sparkle
blobfish

parallel wrote: Sat Jun 16, 2018 1:33 pm I wonder if the results spreadsheet will be made public? I know the results were made public last time but I can't remember if the spreadsheet was, or just the individual separated questions. Would be cool to see things like correlation between two answers.
Hi! I'm the one doing stats!

So I think the general idea is that it'll work the same as last time. With results being presented on the Tumblr and then requests being taken for correlations etc. I'm so excited to share the results though, and I'm really, really excited to compare across the three years too.
:sparkle: dan howell gives me life :sparkle:
don't waste your time
or time will waste you
:sparkle:
parallel
phabergé

sparkle wrote: Sat Jun 16, 2018 8:34 pm
parallel wrote: Sat Jun 16, 2018 1:33 pm I wonder if the results spreadsheet will be made public? I know the results were made public last time but I can't remember if the spreadsheet was, or just the individual separated questions. Would be cool to see things like correlation between two answers.
Hi! I'm the one doing stats!

So I think the general idea is that it'll work the same as last time. With results being presented on the Tumblr and then requests being taken for correlations etc. I'm so excited to share the results though, and I'm really, really excited to compare across the three years too.
Thank you for the reply! Is there any particular reason you're releasing the results yourself without releasing the dataset? No pressure to release it, just wondering.

I'm glad you're doing this, though! Reading the past few years' results have been very interesting.
sparkle
blobfish

parallel wrote: Tue Jun 19, 2018 5:28 pm
Thank you for the reply! Is there any particular reason you're releasing the results yourself without releasing the dataset? No pressure to release it, just wondering.

I'm glad you're doing this, though! Reading the past few years' results have been very interesting.
Its actually not something I'd thought of yet so thats why I didnt mention it :D I think it got released last year? If so, I'm guessing it'll be the same this year.

I'm so excited to work with it, its such a cool thing to be a part of!
:sparkle: dan howell gives me life :sparkle:
don't waste your time
or time will waste you
:sparkle:
itasca00
moon room
Pronouns: He/Him/His

missemma wrote: Mon Dec 03, 2018 10:39 pm Just to let everyone know the results from the Dan and Phil survey from 2018 will be posted from Friday 7th December over at danandphilsurvey.tumblr.com so if you have any correlation requests please head on over.

Unfortunately google forms lost around 11,000 responses and we are truly disappointed. We’ve spent ages trying to recover the data however after discussions with google they’ve gone 😔 such a shame as we had over 17,000 replies. Next year we will know to keep saving the data as we go. The responses will be from the 6,600 we have been able to save.
You're being beamed up by aggressive aliens and they're plugging in the anal probe
"Oh, God. Okay. I say: *shrug* [...] I'd be like, 'I don't know how this works. Put a condom on that thing. *shrug*'"
Dan Howell, 5/10/18 Try new things..?
itasca00
moon room

itasca00 wrote: Fri Dec 07, 2018 12:14 am
missemma wrote: Mon Dec 03, 2018 10:39 pm Just to let everyone know the results from the Dan and Phil survey from 2018 will be posted from Friday 7th December over at danandphilsurvey.tumblr.com so if you have any correlation requests please head on over.
It's now Friday in the UK, so the results of the 2018 Dan and Phil Survey are here! While we're all patiently waiting for PINOF 10, go check them out! (And send us a request for additional analysis while you're there! :D)
You're being beamed up by aggressive aliens and they're plugging in the anal probe
"Oh, God. Okay. I say: *shrug* [...] I'd be like, 'I don't know how this works. Put a condom on that thing. *shrug*'"
parallel
phabergé

I was looking at the social media questions and I'd be curious to see how many people responding to the survey even had accounts on those websites, so the numbers could be compared. E.g. if 6/10 people used Twitter but only 4/6 of those followed Dan on Twitter, that could be something that's brought up. Maybe next time?
itasca00
moon room

@parallel
parallel
phabergé

@itasca00 Thanks! I appreciate the analysis.

It's interesting because I thought the low Google+ results were due to basically nobody even using the platform, but it's interesting to see that even out of the people who consume their content on G+, a lot of them don't actually subscribe to/follow them there.
Stakhanov
haru pillow
Pronouns: he / him

I think an error has slipped in the presentation of the results.

Concerning the question "Which of the following do you think is most likely to describe Dan and Phil's relationship in real life"
If you look at the post with the full results (https://danandphilsurvey.tumblr.com/pos ... ey-results) , the second most popular option according to the bar chart is "They are purely platonic best buds who mean the world to each other", with over 20% of participants choosing this option.

However, when looking at the line graph on https://danandphilsurvey.tumblr.com/ you see different results that don't match the figures of the full survey. (I'm talking about the post of 9 december about this question: "Inspired by alittledizzy on IDB: Can you show how the responses to the question about how survey participants perceive Dan and Phil's relationship have changed over time? ")
Comparing the size and color labels on the line graph of 2015, 2017 and 2018, the second largest piece of the bar now seems to match "i prefer not to answer", while the option They are purely platonic best buds who mean the world to each other" reflects a smaller share than 20%. This data is inconsistent, either the bar chart or the line graph are not accurate.
Finding my own inarticulate prose
Weirding out strangers and laughing at those
Jaundiced and jaded, postured and posed
Not that we’re special it’s just that we’re
Closing in on a place where we might get to be
Living real people regularly
itasca00
moon room

@Stakhanov You cannot compare the results from the two charts you referenced. To make a comparison, you have to look at the pie chart below the first bar chart you referenced instead. In the pie chart and the second bar chart you referenced, the category "Multiple options apply" is included, and it is not included in the first bar chart you referenced.

The results in the first bar chart mean that 22% of respondents believe that (paraphrasing) "Dan and Phil are purely platonic best buds" is one of the responses that describes their relationship. For the pie chart/second bar chart, the results mean that 12% of respondents believe that "Dan and Phil are purely platonic best buds" is the only response that describes their relationship. I hope this makes sense!

Your post did point out a different error. For the 2018 data in the second bar graph you referenced, the legend labels "I prefer not to answer" and "Multiple options apply" were switched! So "Multiple options apply" was actually the second most common option in 2018. (Multiple options were not allowed in 2015 and 2017.) I have updated the original Tumblr post with a new plot image as well as the corresponding interactive plot. Thank you for helping me realize my mistake!

Your post also raises an interesting question: For people who selected multiple answers for this question, what does the breakdown of combinations of responses look like? I've taken the liberty of doing this analysis:
itasca00
moon room

@parallel I forgot that the questions about whether Dan/Phil have ever liked/favorited/retweeted you on Twitter and liked/reblogged you on Tumblr have the option "I don't have a Twitter/Tumblr account," so, as it turns out, I actually can answer your original question for these two platforms! I have updated the original Tumblr post with a new plot.
Stakhanov
haru pillow
Pronouns: he / him

itasca00 wrote: Tue Dec 11, 2018 3:35 am @Stakhanov You cannot compare the results from the two charts you referenced. To make a comparison, you have to look at the pie chart below the first bar chart you referenced instead. In the pie chart and the second bar chart you referenced, the category "Multiple options apply" is included, and it is not included in the first bar chart you referenced.

The results in the first bar chart mean that 22% of respondents believe that (paraphrasing) "Dan and Phil are purely platonic best buds" is one of the responses that describes their relationship. For the pie chart/second bar chart, the results mean that 12% of respondents believe that "Dan and Phil are purely platonic best buds" is the only response that describes their relationship. I hope this makes sense!

Your post did point out a different error. For the 2018 data in the second bar graph you referenced, the legend labels "I prefer not to answer" and "Multiple options apply" were switched! So "Multiple options apply" was actually the second most common option in 2018. (Multiple options were not allowed in 2015 and 2017.) I have updated the original Tumblr post with a new plot image as well as the corresponding interactive plot. Thank you for helping me realize my mistake!

Your post also raises an interesting question: For people who selected multiple answers for this question, what does the breakdown of combinations of responses look like? I've taken the liberty of doing this analysis:
Yes that does make sense. My suspicion was also that either a category got wrongly labeled or that the "multiple options apply" was at the root of the mismatch, but the colors in the pie chart were very similar and it was hard to guess what exactly was going on without knowing what overlaps in the bar chart vs the pie chart. I do think it would be better to clarify in the full survey results that there is a significant difference between the bar chart and the pie chart. They are introduced in exactly the same way, but show pretty different results and the second largest option isn't represented in the bar chart as a result while it is in the pie chart.

On a general note I do want to give a thumbs up to all of the people who organize the fandom survey. It's always fun to read the results. Drawing from the work I do and my classes on methodology of the social sciences I've got a whole lot of questions and reservations about the survey and I wonder especially if and which measures you took to counter bias in the data. But as a non-scientific poll it's really interesting to get some insight on the thoughts of that group of 6666 (? - a coincidence :-p ) respondents.
Finding my own inarticulate prose
Weirding out strangers and laughing at those
Jaundiced and jaded, postured and posed
Not that we’re special it’s just that we’re
Closing in on a place where we might get to be
Living real people regularly
itasca00
moon room

itasca00 wrote: Sat Dec 15, 2018 10:05 pm Much like alittledizzy's earlier spon, I'm going to go ahead and spon the analysis of the 2018 Dan and Phil Survey results again. :D

This week, we learned that:
  • The Phandom is getting older.
  • People disproportionately see their own identities in Dan and Phil (especially queer people).
  • Dan and Phil hate Americans. (Just kidding.)
Also, a couple of corrections:
  • The plot I previously showed for the age distribution of IDB Phandom members was based on an incomplete set of data. The plot has been updated in my original IDB post, and it can be seen in the Tumblr post below (along with age distributions for the Phandom members of other social media platforms).
  • The plot I previously showed of how the Phandom's perception of the nature of Dan and Phil's relationship has changed from survey to survey had the labels for "Prefer not to answer" and "Multiple options apply" switched for the 2018 data. The Tumblr post included in my original IDB post has been updated, and I have also included it below.
If you found any of these plots interesting, tons of other analysis plots like this can be seen here. If any of this inspires an idea for any additional analysis that you'd like to see, you should submit it here. (So far, we've only gotten two outside requests for analysis, and I'm starting to run out of ideas for new questions to ask.)
itasca00
moon room

A few updates:
  • On Tuesday, I edited the original results post on Tumblr.
    From the updated post:
    Edit (1/29/2019): After the survey was first opened, a number of questions were edited (primarily to add additional options or to allow multiple options to be selected). These changes are now listed with their corresponding plots below.
  • Earlier today, I published a masterpost for all of the analysis posts done for this year's survey.
  • Also today, as was done for the past two surveys, I published a link to the raw responses from this year's survey.
lefthandedism
simply stressed bisexual
simply stressed bisexual

The 2019 Dan and Phil Survey is now open! Who has thoughts, suggestions, or anything to discuss?
"If you're left-handed, ask a friend."
"Why am I left-handed?"
"Everybody makes mistakes."
bluecaterpillar
pumpkin spice pumpkin cookie

the question that asks if you ship dan and phil kind of threw me for a loop, because there's different definitions of shipping depending on the person being asked and i wasn't sure which one to go with when giving my answer. if you just take the definition to be 'liking the idea of two people being in a relationship' then my answer would be yes. and i guess i do tick the boxes of a 'shipper' in that i read fic and look at phanart. but the term has a lot of connotations which don't apply to how i perceive dan and phil. e.g. for me 'shipping' implies fictional characters who may or may not be together, and who the audience continue to put in a pairing regardless of, and often despite, what is actually canon. whereas i've been certain of that dnp are in a relationship for years anyway so it was never a hypothetical thing for me, it was just real life. idk i just think things get complicated when trying to apply terms created for fictional characters onto real people.

shipping is also a term which for me feels a bit outdated? it's what i used to say when i was, like, 15, but i don't really see it being used in fandom anymore, and i don't use it myself, just like how i don't say 'feels' or 'otp' anymore. plus in the context of dnp it has a double meaning - 'i like them together' vs 'i think they're actually together' - and it all gets a bit blurry.

i had to think about the question for a bit, and i ended up picking 'yes' but that doesn't really convey my opinion on the subject. in the end i had to answer yes because if i'd said no, that would have implied that 1) i don't think they're together and/or 2) i dislike the idea of them being together. both of which aren't true.

maybe if the question was split in two it would solve the problem - something like
1) do you think they are in a relationship? (yes, no, don't know, don't care, etc)
2) do you like the idea them being in a relationship? (yes, no, don't know, don't care, etc)

maybe with another supplementary question asking how/if basically i'm gay changed people's perceptions.
there’s not a star in heaven that we can’t reach
lefthandedism
simply stressed bisexual
simply stressed bisexual

bluecaterpillar wrote: Sun Oct 13, 2019 9:08 pm the question that asks if you ship dan and phil kind of threw me for a loop, because there's different definitions of shipping depending on the person being asked and i wasn't sure which one to go with when giving my answer. if you just take the definition to be 'liking the idea of two people being in a relationship' then my answer would be yes. and i guess i do tick the boxes of a 'shipper' in that i read fic and look at phanart. but the term has a lot of connotations which don't apply to how i perceive dan and phil. e.g. for me 'shipping' implies fictional characters who may or may not be together, and who the audience continue to put in a pairing regardless of, and often despite, what is actually canon. whereas i've been certain of that dnp are in a relationship for years anyway so it was never a hypothetical thing for me, it was just real life. idk i just think things get complicated when trying to apply terms created for fictional characters onto real people.

shipping is also a term which for me feels a bit outdated? it's what i used to say when i was, like, 15, but i don't really see it being used in fandom anymore, and i don't use it myself, just like how i don't say 'feels' or 'otp' anymore. plus in the context of dnp it has a double meaning - 'i like them together' vs 'i think they're actually together' - and it all gets a bit blurry.

i had to think about the question for a bit, and i ended up picking 'yes' but that doesn't really convey my opinion on the subject. in the end i had to answer yes because if i'd said no, that would have implied that 1) i don't think they're together and/or 2) i dislike the idea of them being together. both of which aren't true.

maybe if the question was split in two it would solve the problem - something like
1) do you think they are in a relationship? (yes, no, don't know, don't care, etc)
2) do you like the idea them being in a relationship? (yes, no, don't know, don't care, etc)

maybe with another supplementary question asking how/if basically i'm gay changed people's perceptions.
You won't be surprised to know that this question caused a lot of internal discussion while we were preparing this year's survey. Your analysis is very helpful grist for the mill for next year!

Obviously, shipping has been central to DnP culture in the past, but has a weird place in the PCOU--it's interesting that you point out that shipping in general, not just shipping of DnP, may be getting passé.
"If you're left-handed, ask a friend."
"Why am I left-handed?"
"Everybody makes mistakes."