Dan & Phil Part 91: A Decade of Deppy

Our two favourite full time internet nerds who never go outside!
obsessivelymoody
emo goose
Pronouns: she/her

sarmstr2 wrote: Sun Oct 20, 2019 9:33 pm ok ok - which one of you posted about it on r/beautyguruchatter? LOL
Omg thank you for pointing this out! Check it out if you want to scroll through - people are being really funny!

(Oops top of the page twice in a row :?)
itasca00
moon room
Pronouns: He/Him/His

I loved this video! Like others have said, I found the whole thing very amusing (especially the parts where he started explaining what he was doing like it was an actual makeup tutorial) and very Phil. Here are my highlights:
  • [1:22] Phil discusses the presence of a blue shade in a palette of nude eyeshadows. He guesses it must be for a nude “Avatar person” (Na’vi) or Smurf, and he completes this thought with some on-screen visuals. 😐
  • [2:55] Phil applies a horrifying filter to his mouth as he shows a shot of himself in a mirror. On the back of his laptop, you can also see a sticker based on the PlayStation Pride Theme. :prideflag:
  • [5:14] Phil explains that he’s been having anxiety dreams about Norman. In these dreams, Norman jumps out of the tank, but he’s the size of a cat or dog. Phil desperately tries to stuff him back in the tank, but he’s too big. Also, Norman can talk in these dreams, and the voice Phil does for Norman is amazing. Phil says he’d be devastated if anything happened to Norman.
  • [5:38] Apropos of nothing, Phil points out on his face drawing where the “butthole” of the fish would be. :backawayslowly:
  • [6:13] Phil shares some fish puns: :lol:
    P: If you’re doing this and you feel like you’re messing it up, just remember that anyfin is possible. Don’t trout yourself.
  • [6:29] Phil leans forward, showing just how brown all of his hair is. There’s another good shot like this at [10:31] (and elsewhere throughout the video).
  • [6:40] Due to his inability to draw with the eyeshadow, Phil decides to whack out a Sharpie to use on his face. Now where have I seen him do this before...🤔
  • [8:17] Phil decides he should be having some beauty drama as a part of this video:
    P: Wow, that Anthony Padilla is such a ******* ****. You think those curls in his hair and abs are real? No! They’re just glued on.
  • [8:42] Phil decides that he’s going to show a shot of his crotch as it’s covered in glitter. He also adds:
    P: I’ve probably got one of the glitteriest crotches on earth at this very moment. I mean, I don’t want to do a poll because who knows what people are up to.
  • [9:30] In the most horrifying part of the video, Phil inserts some colored contacts into his eyes.
  • [10:11] Phil treats us to the best wink he can manage, and it’s rather adorable. :love1:
  • [10:22] Phil photoshops his face so that only the drawing of Norman is shown on a backdrop of some water. As with several other parts of this video, the result is horrifying.
  • In the video description, Phil has once again included links to all three versions of the AmazingPhil Shop, and he has not included a link to the Dan and Phil Shop.
You're being beamed up by aggressive aliens and they're plugging in the anal probe
"Oh, God. Okay. I say: *shrug* [...] I'd be like, 'I don't know how this works. Put a condom on that thing. *shrug*'"
Dan Howell, 5/10/18 Try new things..?
sarmstr2
pumpkin spice pumpkin cookie

obsessivelymoody wrote: Sun Oct 20, 2019 10:05 pm
sarmstr2 wrote: Sun Oct 20, 2019 9:33 pm ok ok - which one of you posted about it on r/beautyguruchatter? LOL
Omg thank you for pointing this out! Check it out if you want to scroll through - people are being really funny!

(Oops top of the page twice in a row :?)
Awww they removed it because he "isn't a beauty guru" WHATEVER JANICE.
AltMay
glabella

This video was amazing! He had me smiling all the way through. Will absolutely rewatch it. He seemed so relaxed and like he was enjoying himself. It was so good, i'm here for this phil and his silly content.

The world is an amazing place, look at it instead of your flaws.
Neons
spork

The chaotic energy definitely reminded me of Jenna Marbles but I wasn't sure if that was just because I've been watching a lot of her videos lately.

Phil's sweetness and enthusiasm is so utterly infectious I could watch him make a video about damn near anything as long as he's genuinely excited about it. What a silly sweetheart.

I lost it at the YouTuber drama bit. :lol:

Made me smile when Phil talked about how his good care of Norman has made his scales even more vivid, Norman is the most beautiful fish of our times and Phil is the perfect parent for him :betta:
yellowsubmarine
hobbit hair

#12 trending !! Well deserved. Probably bc makeup tutorial in the title but yeah get those coinss
"Treat yourself, because you're special and you're worth it."
philliebillie
dank meme

Why is Phil so funny? I had three literal laugh out loud moments and I was smiling the whole time watching his video. I enjoyed seeing Phil feeling confident then doubting himself then back to psyching himself back in. The Anthony Padilla bit was gold, esp him getting distracted by his rant he put glitter on his forehead. Also wow Phil swearing in the liveshow AND in your main channel vid? Growth.

Phil is also hyping up his Halloween vid by mentioning emails and preparations that I'm feeling excited about it this early. Please let it be chaotic and random as always Phil.
-you can go swimming in those eyes-
knq
lava lamp

I just randomly remembered how betrayed Phil acted when the chat didn't warn him that the farmer had taken the carrot he'd stolen for his picnic and would like to restate my eternal love for Phil Lester
poweroftriangles
pumpkin spice pumpkin cookie
Pronouns: he/him

God I loved that video. I don't know jack shit about makeup so it was funny to watch him talk in perfect seriousness like a makeup tutorial (I imagine?? I don't think I've ever watched one fully). The amount of love he has for Norman is the sweetest thing. :betta:

Also I kinda liked the blue contacts? His natural eye colour is lovely but this was quite striking too. I wonder if he'll ever experiment with prescription ones.
anti-YouNow club :sarcasticclap:
stufflizloves
living flop

i miss Dan.

how long has it been now? i know he tweeted a few days ago acknowledging Hello Internet...how long has it been since we got anything from him from instagram?

i just...really miss him.
George
sad dimple

The longer Dan's been gone the more worried I'm about his well-being. Is he too depressed to work? Is he secretly having a secret and working on it? Does it really take this long to decide which way to go with his channel? Has he dediced to have a 6 month holiday?

Feels like he has gave us more answers than ever this year but also more questions than ever. :shrug: We had it so easy in 2017, we knew he was with Phil and we knew he'd never adress it and we knew we'd have a new dapg video in the weekend.
You should never go to sleep on an argument.
rizzo
unduly facetious
unduly facetious

alittledizzy and I were daydreaming about this just a few days ago... but I swear to GAWD, if Phil got a Starbucks #spon.....
Becky.rigby
living flop

George wrote: Mon Oct 21, 2019 7:00 pm The longer Dan's been gone the more worried I'm about his well-being. Is he too depressed to work? Is he secretly having a secret and working on it? Does it really take this long to decide which way to go with his channel? Has he dediced to have a 6 month holiday?

Feels like he has gave us more answers than ever this year but also more questions than ever. :shrug: We had it so easy in 2017, we knew he was with Phil and we knew he'd never adress it and we knew we'd have a new dapg video in the weekend.
I also am worried about Dan's wellbeing, I just hope he is ok and still in communication with his therapist and talking to friends and family. It might just be that he is working on something, but if this is a case I wish he would let us know that he is working on something so we can expect less communication so we wouldn't worry.
kavat
pastel persona

Phil's video gave me many good chuckles. He's so proud of his beautiful fish, as he should be! :betta: The blue colours looked great on him, and it has been wonderful seeing people recreate the look.

Btw how is hot chocolate winning, coffee always wins for me :psl:
rizzo
unduly facetious
unduly facetious

On the topic of Dan: I miss the guy a lot, but perhaps he's discovered that he's happier when he's not bombarded (both by us and his own psyche) with the need to constantly make content. And I can't really fault the guy.

He's gotten involved in others' content and I'd like to think maybe they (Natalie and Olly) have already begun to get involved in his. Perhaps that's what he's up to.

IDK. I'm trying to think positively, mostly because I think Dan's depression video has really made phandom catastrophize more quickly whenever he's gone quiet. And also because... otherwise I'll go crazy thinking about how much I miss the dude.
obsessivelymoody
emo goose

I am personally insulted by the lack of coffee votes on Phil's poll. smh.

I agree with rizzo on the topic of Dan, and I also think while it's good to be concerned, much like Phil said in DML2, we don't know what projects they are working on and they can't tell us, either because of contracts or because things might fall through and telling people only makes it worse. Getting people's hopes up only to have them quashed is often worse than silence. And in Dan's case, I think the pressure of announcing he's working on something would only be worse. That Week In March and The June Video are pretty clear examples of this, where he says something and people take things extremely seriously and bombard him with questions about it. I think it's healthier to have distance in some cases.
Neons
spork

Dan looked reasonably happy & healthy in that art gallery pic we saw recently, though I'm well aware that a pic isn't really that indicative of someone's overall mental state. But y'know, he went outside I guess.

I was kind of hoping he might tweet about UK Drag Race again.

Oh and #teamcoffee all the way.
bantsandpheels
phillion/danosaur <//3

I don't know if maybe I'm just overly optimistic, but this post I saw on Tumblr summarises how I feel about Dan's silence pretty well.
knq
lava lamp

This week's liveshow was the first time I went from thinking 'I miss Dan' to 'Dan is missing out' and now I can't help being curious how they're both experiencing the separation of their brands and (presumably) working less together. I can't imagine them sharing something that personal of course.

I have the lingering thought that Dan might have decided he can't move on from the marathon experience until he's successfully run a marathon. Or he could have discovered in the time he signed off social media while making BIG that he's happier not feeling accountable to the mass of Opinions that is the internet and realizing that has impacted his plans. He might be growing facial hair again. He might be anything tbh

Dan's voice appearance on Phil's channel and the fact that he left unexpectedly before Phil did his end-screen and announced the return of live-shows does give me the feeling that Dan's not comfortable being a public figure again yet.

But personally, I'm not worried about Dan. It doesn't help Dan to worry about Dan. Which doesn't stop me from worrying about him when he does post to twitter or instagram about falling into a depression pit, I admit, but when he's simply being quiet, I don't worry.
plinthofmylife
janice from the shop

I have to think that it's very possible Dan doesn't know WTF is next.

LONG POST about Dan's next steps with examples from other creators under cut

I was just recently listening to Grace Bonney (of Designsponge) on the final episode of her podcast Good Company (about creative careers). She made the choice to shut down Design*Sponge, which got about 2 million hits a day but started as her personal side project - and I thought of Dan a lot for a few of the things she said:

- She's watched media go in cycles about the way it respects/rewards people who create content, and she felt she could no longer make the kind of content she wanted without making sacrifices for the lines she wanted to draw on the business side (around sponsorship/broadening audience, etc)

- She respects privacy a lot more now that she's in her 30s and has lived her life publicly online for a decade. She has a different stance on sharing personal things that her and other content creators have used for clicks/views/engagement in the past when the internet felt smaller - including her coming out, her own diagnoses of diabetes, loss, etc - she now has much more interest in living a life that IS NOT lived online

- She has disengaged from social media largely because she's seen how much the algorithm punishes you once you take a break and come back, and she likes her head more

- Because she announced the end of Design Sponge so early (like 8 months before the last post) everyone kept asking "no, for real, what is your secret after Design Sponge plan?" and she really doesn't have one. She explicitly stated she isn't sure, and is leaving a lot of things open. Similar to Dan's "I really don't know what I'm doing, there's no secrets, I just don't know"
She even said, "maybe my next big project is just prioritizing my personal life, and not posting about it on the internet"

- This was a big one, and I wonder if Dan is feeling this way if he wants to move away from youtube - she's worried the D*S might be "the last best thing she'll ever do, and nothing else she does will ever have as much of an impact" - and that was what makes contemplating other things hard

Anyway, that is long, but I thought of Dan a lot during that episode. (Also brought up personal feelings as an internet creator but like, that's not relevant to this board).

And while Cat is not generally liked on this board, her most recent video about "life after youtube" trying to figure out WTF her life is when she's 30 and has only every been a professional youtuber also speaks to some things that might shine light on Dan's thought process.

But like throw in that Dan has a partner who still works in the field, and whose content and views and income is most definitely affected by Dan's absence. He probably has a lot of thoughts.
In other news, Phil said the word MOVING in his youtube story. Moving theories intensify. :tinfoil: :foreverhome:
Megancita75
ar·tic·u·late

I am interested in how one ages as a YouTuber or when one decides it is time to end that part of a career. As a new fan one of the things that I think draws me to DnP is the fact that they are In transition career-wise and personally, because I find it fascinating to watch that play out (at least what they share) and I think it is helpful as a fellow human to witness and learn from how people navigate change. Maybe for me it’s also because I am wanting to make some changes too and DnP came into my life at a time when what they are trying to do seems relevant to some themes in my own life. I also find it interesting how unsettling some fans find this period of transition; like I find it exciting and inspiring, but for people who have been around longer who have seen DnP as a certain constant, this transition seems anxiety producing rather than invigorating. Which is all to say that we each are here for our own reasons and those reasons are vast and varied.
Phantasy
woodland creature

The one thing I’ll never really get is the lack of communication—I get they don’t like the tease updates revealing the behind the scenes processes and would rather just “Beyoncé” a project, but lack of updates or communication just seems frustratingly unnecessary and I can see why some feel alienated or more cynically like a consumer audience who only gets updates when it’s time to buy more merch.

I know it’s not just Dan and there are quite a few other youtubers that have a seeming inability to communicate between projects, but it’s a frustrating experience nonetheless—I’m sure there are better examples, but I see similarities with Dan and Jon Cozart—Jon goes months if not years between his epic uploads with very very little in the way of updates, other than some sarcastic (but likely true) reflections that output dearth is more to do with exhaustion from the creative effort and poor mental health overall. I think we are a bit defensive that Dan must be working on something grand behind the scenes, which I think is partially true, but I also think he’s spending most of his time living in his head trying to think of the next move, but otherwise spending countless hours playing Guild Wars and cycling through news articles on Brexit and other interests.
obsessivelymoody
emo goose

Phantasy wrote: Tue Oct 22, 2019 5:01 am The one thing I’ll never really get is the lack of communication—I get they don’t like the tease updates revealing the behind the scenes processes and would rather just “Beyoncé” a project, but lack of updates or communication just seems frustratingly unnecessary and I can see why some feel alienated or more cynically like a consumer audience who only gets updates when it’s time to buy more merch.

I know it’s not just Dan and there are quite a few other youtubers that have a seeming inability to communicate between projects, but it’s a frustrating experience nonetheless—I’m sure there are better examples, but I see similarities with Dan and Jon Cozart—Jon goes months if not years between his epic uploads with very very little in the way of updates, other than some sarcastic (but likely true) reflections that output dearth is more to do with exhaustion from the creative effort and poor mental health overall. I think we are a bit defensive that Dan must be working on something grand behind the scenes, which I think is partially true, but I also think he’s spending most of his time living in his head trying to think of the next move, but otherwise spending countless hours playing Guild Wars and cycling through news articles on Brexit and other interests.
I get that being frustrated by the seeming radio silence from them (Dan) sucks. I would love more content from him, always. But I think it's a little harsh, especially the part I put in bold, to assume that they're just sitting around.

What I don't understand is how people can walk away from Phil saying in DML2 that they overworked themselves for years and years-to the point where Phil ended up in the hospital last year-and be angry about the exact same thing Phil talked about in the video. Do I think their communication could be better? Absolutely. Do I think it would hurt to post the occasional tweet or story? No. But is it fair to assume that Dan is just sitting around playing GW2 and scrolling through the news? Also no. That's so unfair. Like Phil said, we have no idea what's going on behind the scenes. Dan also helps run a business. Dan also might have several things he's working on at the moment, much like Phil. And again, we also have no idea what Dan could be doing right now because none of us are Dan. plinthofmylife's post is a good read, and eye-opening to how these situations can be with people in the same career as Dan.

Maybe I'm being too sensitive on this subject, or too defensive as you suggest, but I honestly do not understand the idea that Dan is sitting on his ass doing nothing all day.
liola
rankussy

I don't know how many times I've said it but I'll say it again - I don't miss Dan's content. Besides a few examples, a lot of the times it felt like it left us frustrated and Dan as well, trying to explain some deeper point that was either miss by the audience or just plain simply not delivered. It's fine, it happens, communication is a difficult thing to do and do it right.

I miss him interacting with us, I miss him interacting with Phil on camera. I've not made a secret that I think Dan's future is off youtube. He feels constrained by the platform and what he should bring to be considered successful, but at the same time he wants to be because otherwise he would just upload whatever the fuck he wants, but it's obvious there's a baseline of wanting the content to be appreciated. I dream of him becoming a speaker, having a podcast, even writing a book and interacting with his audience during that.

Hell, I dream of them moving IRL from just merch to a digital fulfillment service that provides not just youtubers but all digital creators with marketing and coaching services to find your footing on the desired platform, I think Dan would be AMAZING at that.

So honestly, no, I don't think Dan is coming back on youtube this year - and honestly, I don't know if he's even thinking about it. I just wish he would talk to us, not about his plans, but just how he is, if he's watching anything, if he's bought any new candle, is Colin doing good? I've never been invested with him for his content, and it sure hasn't changed, so I can't justify the lack of communication with "oh he just doesn't want to tell us about his new cool incoming project"

That said, can we stop talking about his mental health every time some time passes between his interactions? Because that feels kind of intrusive to me, like speculating on his well being. Just because you have depression doesn't mean that every time you go quiet is because you're going through something, and at the same time just because you're NOT quiet it doesn't mean you're doing ok either :shrug:
Will probably never be over the BONCAS and the beauty of Phil Lester.

Official Moving Hill Mayor
Birdie
blobfish
Pronouns: they/them

obsessivelymoody wrote: Tue Oct 22, 2019 6:41 am I get that being frustrated by the seeming radio silence from them (Dan) sucks. I would love more content from him, always. But I think it's a little harsh, especially the part I put in bold, to assume that they're just sitting around.
Idk, I think it's okay to assume this since Dan is not communicating anything at all. It's possible he's working on something but it's also possible he's not. And both would be fine, it's his life. I mean, we kinda know something is holding him back. We talk about his "quality threshold" a lot but I'm a bit convinced it's writer's block. And if it is, it would probably actually be good if he took a break, worked on nothing for a while and played some GW.

But I'm with liola, I really don't think he'll come back to Youtube with regular content and I don't think he wants to either. I can't say much more on the topic since I obviously don't know his thoughts on this but that's the impression I'm getting as well.

At this point, I also think we need to stop with the "they" since Phil is clearly working on projects and communicating really well lately. It's just Dan who's not. And like I said, it's fine, it's his choice, but I'm getting tired of the "defences" a bit since he's basically doing the exact same thing he did before BIG and people are getting tired and I understand that.
liola wrote:That said, can we stop talking about his mental health every time some time passes between his interactions? Because that feels kind of intrusive to me, like speculating on his well being. Just because you have depression doesn't mean that every time you go quiet is because you're going through something, and at the same time just because you're NOT quiet it doesn't mean you're doing ok either :shrug:
Thank you.