Dan & Phil Part 91: A Decade of Deppy

Our two favourite full time internet nerds who never go outside!
Susanisnotafish
flower crown
Pronouns: She/her

itasca00 wrote: Fri Nov 08, 2019 10:39 pm
Susanisnotafish wrote: Thu Nov 07, 2019 6:49 pm Have people in the US received Dan’s candle yet? I don’t know if I should be worried that the money was taken but I haven’t received a shipment notification.
itasca00 wrote: Thu Nov 07, 2019 7:47 pm Susanisnotafish, I haven't received my Dandles yet, but I got a shipment notification the day after I placed my order. I should note that I placed my order with the worldwide shop because it was cheaper, and I've anecdotally heard about problems with the timeliness and correctness of orders placed with the US shop. Also, in the off-chance you had a hoodie in your order, your entire order won't ship until 11/11 at the earliest.
Update: My Dandles arrived today, and I absolutely love them! My only disappointment is that they weren't packed in the shipping box very carefully, so the candle boxes are all slightly damaged. At least the candles themselves are no worse for the wear! Strangely enough, the scent of the candles is extremely familiar to me. I was raised Catholic, and the candles smell exactly like the incense used in my childhood church for Christmas masses. I have to say that I'm rather amused by the accidental metaphorical significance of having a black candle called "My Soul" made by Dan that gives off a scent with strong religious undertones.
Ataraxia25 wrote: Fri Nov 08, 2019 3:04 pm On the topic of merch :

I don't know if it's a decision from IRL or from the UK post or from the French post or if it's always this way, but my package was labelled as "Responsible Delivery - CO2 Neutral" and I'm very happy about it. I don't remember seeing it on my previous merch packages.
My package was not marked that way, so I guess it's not a universal thing.
My dandle arrived today too! A couple strange things:

The scent is described on the box as “notes — black pepper, pomegranate and spices on a bed of wood.” But the website said “dark spices, Amber, and wood”. I don’t smell any pomegranate, so I think the website description is probably the correct one. Guess the packaging people didn’t get the memo. It smells like Christmas trees to me. It’s not my favorite candle scent. It smell like a man’s cologne, reminds me of Polo by Ralph Lauren. Maybe I’d prefer Phil’s.

Also there’s a warning that it’s “toxic to aquatic life with long lasting effects.” How will this affect Norman? Will the dandle be banned from the deppy house?

The “MY SOUL DH” words peel off so you can have a plain matte black candle if you want. I just realized it’s weird that it’s in all caps when Dan’s style is usually all lowercase. Or is all caps only considered rude online and not IRL?

I didn’t have the responsible delivery sticker on my package, but mine came from District Lines.
"Rub those freckles all over me!" --Daniel Howell
Scout
squish
Pronouns: She/Her

I’m really excited that Cyarine did the art for Phil’s new merch! I’ve been a fan of her art for years.
:lesbianflag:
poweroftriangles
pumpkin spice pumpkin cookie
Pronouns: he/him

This is one of the best things I've seen from his shop! I might finally bite the currency-conversion bullet and actually get one.
anti-YouNow club :sarcasticclap:
parallel
phabergé
Pronouns: she/her

I think that, since The Hand was clearly a joke (& was in the context of TABINOF which was not very serious), it shouldn't be taken as representative of Phil's writing when he's being serious. Even the writing style is probably different when Phil's being serious.

Anyway, we don't know that Phil's writing prose, do we? The Hand is prose, whereas a comic is... a comic.

I dunno, Phil's rich. He can afford a good editor, plus he has an English Language degree, so I'm willing to trust him.

I do understand the worry though. I would hate to read something Phil wrote and just not like it. I love Phil and of course I'll support him in anything he does, but also I can be quite critical of writing and I don't know if I'll like it or not. I suppose there's no way of knowing, since I don't think there's any writing from him that is truly analogous to whatever his project may be (comic, graphic novel, animation?).
flarequake
not an airport stalker

Comics are a different medium, good point, you don’t write in the same way, it all needs to come across in the page alongside the artwork and there are choices like transitions between panels, moments can be skipped, some things zoomed in on, etc, it’s a whole art form of its own.
kavat
pastel persona

Can I just say that if it actually is a comic book, hinting at it with merch is hilarious. Peak capita£ester :moneybath:
liola
rankussy

I 100% think Phil is writing either a comic book or a script for an animated show. He has a wild imagination but it's pretty clear to me that he likes the visual aspect of it. I always thought animated show even more so after the draw my life where he talked again about directing being his dream. I can see a comic book as well, but he's not able to actually draw it, is he? I dunno, I know comic book seems more likely given his hoodie but for some reason animated show will still be my lifelong dream from Phil
Will probably never be over the BONCAS and the beauty of Phil Lester.

Official Moving Hill Mayor
Amiaw
interactive introvert

It used to be that every time they were quiet I thought they were getting up to something but Phil’s never been louder and here he is with new merch and a secret project and I love to see it but that means we’re never safe. They can drop anything at anytime and we just have to let them
hello9217
flower crown

My first thought was graphic novel. This was just basing it on what phil has mentioned in the past, i.e. he was writing something and he didn’t know if it was a script or a book yet. However once I saw that the reference picture for the hoodie was a picture of phil I really have no clue what it could be mainly because I always felt like if phil wrote something it wouldn’t be about him nor would he be a character in it. I’m excited to see what it could be though.
noodlebum
flower crown

Off topic sorry, but does anyone know of a compilation video of dan and phil when they pretend to be characters (usually girls) from Japanese anime? It always cracks me up, but my youtube searching has been futile. Surely this is something someone, somewhere, has already made...?

Was watching this video and I mean clips like from 3.24.
flarequake
not an airport stalker

Dan’s back with some anxiety, poor bab
Phanshy
cheeky #spon

What do people think of both Dan (in to the void) and Phil's hoodies having barcodes coincidence or hidden meaning? I know Phil's is the year of his birth. I'm not sure but it did remind me of Dan's hoodie when I saw it.
Phanshy
cheeky #spon

Doesn't he already have a major emotional attachment to Phil.
parallel
phabergé

Phil talks so much about Norman. It's nice to get a reminder that Dan and Phil are both collectively Norman's dads :)
Judearaya
sofa crease

Phanshy wrote: Sat Nov 09, 2019 11:15 pm What do people think of both Dan (in to the void) and Phil's hoodies having barcodes coincidence or hidden meaning? I know Phil's is the year of his birth. I'm not sure but it did remind me of Dan's hoodie when I saw it.
Did Dan's barcode mean anything? I haven't seen anything (I haven't even seen what merch had a barcode, nothing's crossed my dash yet)
susan2
rainbow nerd

Judearaya wrote: Sat Nov 09, 2019 11:47 pm
Phanshy wrote: Sat Nov 09, 2019 11:15 pm What do people think of both Dan (in to the void) and Phil's hoodies having barcodes coincidence or hidden meaning? I know Phil's is the year of his birth. I'm not sure but it did remind me of Dan's hoodie when I saw it.
Did Dan's barcode mean anything? I haven't seen anything (I haven't even seen what merch had a barcode, nothing's crossed my dash yet)
I think the numbers on Dan's hoodie are 640509040147 - Hitman Agent 47.
Not sure if they have another meaning too, that'd be pretty cool (and impressive forward planning!) if the barcodes themselves turned out to have a hidden purpose.
Judearaya
sofa crease

I"m not gonna lie, when I saw that Dan liked that tweet with the babies I was all, "awwww dan loves babiessss", I was not prepared for his response to the tweet about him wanting to be a dad.
knq
lava lamp

Aw, Dan and his son <3 I think it’s incredibly sweet how attached and concerned they both are with their fish.

I remember having some anxiety dreams when I had a betta too. I think it’s something about their living in water, and seeming so unreachable/foreign while also being entirely under your care. There aren’t any fish vets. Cats are easier, imo. Sounds like Norman is being well taken care of if he’s making a bubble nest and feeling safe enough to accept baby fish in his tank though. I’m glad they’re taking better care of him than they seem to do their houseplants.
TinkerTaylor
phillion/danosaur <//3

flarequake wrote: Sat Nov 09, 2019 10:44 pm Dan’s back with some anxiety, poor bab
Well if nothing else, it sounds like Dan & Phil will be together for at least another 3-5 years, cause it sure sounds like neither one would want to give up custody of Norman.
Susanisnotafish
flower crown

flarequake wrote: Sat Nov 09, 2019 10:44 pm Dan’s back with some anxiety, poor bab
Maybe his dreams are due to guilt over the dandle being “toxic to aquatic life with long lasting effects.” According to the warning label. Has anyone ever seen a warning like that on any other candle? Did Phil’s have one? Seems odd.
"Rub those freckles all over me!" --Daniel Howell
flarequake
not an airport stalker

Phil’s candle has the same toxic warning. I don’t know if it’s a part of the wax mix or the scents, though.
knq
lava lamp

Looking up the fish toxicity phrase and 'candle' on google pulls up a bunch of material safety data sheets which list benzyl benzoate as the source of that warning. Benzyl benzoate seems to be a common solvent for fragrances in candles. Apparently it can also treat lice.

The things I google at 2am.
flarequake
not an airport stalker

Saw this on Tumblr ;)
Text comes out tiny and blurred, so transcript:

Top line - *does anything* uwu sweet baby your mental health is so fragile I must protect this grown man

Bottom line - *does anything* wow what a dick here's a 7 paragraph post about how much of a dick he is

And obvs Phil is the line near the top and Dan the massively varied, up and down like a yo-yo :roll:
Judearaya
sofa crease

okay so.... y'all know these patterns better than I (assuming Dan ever does things by an actual pattern). He's suuuuper quiet for a while, then drops merch and a "I was working on a secret thing, it didn't happen when I hoped it would." and then suddenly is gifting us with adorable tweets and some IG stories. Do we think this means that the thing has been settled for some date and he's just free from the stress/creation/whatever, or is he just responding to everyone asking wtf he went?
stufflizloves
living flop

Judearaya wrote: Sun Nov 10, 2019 2:30 pm okay so.... y'all know these patterns better than I (assuming Dan ever does things by an actual pattern). He's suuuuper quiet for a while, then drops merch and a "I was working on a secret thing, it didn't happen when I hoped it would." and then suddenly is gifting us with adorable tweets and some IG stories. Do we think this means that the thing has been settled for some date and he's just free from the stress/creation/whatever, or is he just responding to everyone asking wtf he went?
i was just wondering the same thing, jude. i dunno. i did just whisper to myself “this is literally all i wanted from you, daniel” while watching that ig story. maybe he’s had some bad days & he didn’t feel like sharing. maybe he just didn’t feel like he had anything to share. regardless, i am so glad he shared.