Dan & Phil Part 92: japhan 2.0

Our two favourite full time internet nerds who never go outside!
Neons
spork

It was a cute live show, he seemed in a cheeky mood. I was amazed when I heard how he pronounced crocheted, I'm glad the chat brought that to his attention.

I'm sooo jealous of the pokemon trading card advent calendar, I love opening booster packs. Agree completely with his thoughts on Pokemon Shield as well.

I miss Phil playing games in the live shows though, I hope he decides to do that again soon.
Secretstanner
truth bomb

So I don’t know if anyone has mentioned it yet but I saw earlier today on Twitter posted a clip of the youtuber Michelle Khares newest video, she made a musical version of YouTube rewind and mentioned dan and Phil for a sec. It wasn’t long but I’ll link the few second clip if anyone is interested. All she said is “and we celebrated coming out with Dan and Phil”. I havnt watched the liveshow yet never do in real time but do look on twitter to see what he talks about so I’m just waiting for him to upload it. I really do like these Sunday liveshows. They always bring a bit of excitement to my Sunday’s because I always forget.
Amiaw
interactive introvert

I think Phil actually liked the original tweet before Hazel tagged them in her tweet
flarequake
not an airport stalker
Pronouns: She/her

I saw someone else, in the phandom, say that too. Poor Dan :roll: Also poor little dog, it does look haunted about life.
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie
Pronouns: she/her

Since it's a slow day content wise, I'll offer up this:

Doesn't have anything directly to do with Dan and Phil but the perspective of these two couples talking about how sharing their life with the internet entwines with the relationship, and the reason they'd rather not film domestic days in still feels super relevant. Also when it comes to talking about schedules and long term creativity I think it fits if you sub out daily vlogging for the gaming channel.
kavat
pastel persona

alittledizzy wrote: Mon Dec 09, 2019 6:50 pm Since it's a slow day content wise, I'll offer up this:
Doesn't have anything directly to do with Dan and Phil but the perspective of these two couples talking about how sharing their life with the internet entwines with the relationship, and the reason they'd rather not film domestic days in still feels super relevant. Also when it comes to talking about schedules and long term creativity I think it fits if you sub out daily vlogging for the gaming channel.
Interesting! Alfie said something about how when you're constantly uploading and thinking about what to do tomorrow, you can't think about what you want to do in six months or focus on anything bigger and more ambitious. That definitely connects to Dan and BIG (and perhaps whatever he's been working on since).

And that moment when Zoe said that Alfie was basically dead behind the eyes for a solid year made me so sad. I like regular content as much as the next person but I would never want it at the expense of their own happiness. I think 2019 for Dan and Phil very much has been about finding that balance and not just posting videos for the sake of posting, but because it's something they genuinely want to share.
Becky.rigby
living flop

Hey everyone, as Dan is being quiet again (disappointed) what does everyone think he is up to, i wonder why he went to google the other day and why he posted to let us know (side eyes). I keep being hopeful that we are close to getting information but i doubt it. And i still do not forgive Dan for ghosting us and then dropping merch, was so out of order of him!
Megancita75
ar·tic·u·late

Christmas IDB header! I like it! :festive: :mug: :festivedeppy:
jesp
why bother

Megancita75 wrote: Mon Dec 09, 2019 10:00 pm Christmas IDB header! I like it! :festive: :mug: :festivedeppy:
IDB is finally in the festive mood! Thanks to the amazing and talented phil rizzo for making the header.
jesp
why bother

In other forum news, the thanks button is now a permanent feature. It was de facto permanent before, but I did some mod stuff and made it actually permanent.

Discussion/announcement thread here, super cool forum merch here, beautiful human being here.
madzilla84
eclipse shirt

The vidcon schedule is up - looks like Phil’s in the opening show thing and on a panel called ‘Laugh It Up’ about comedy content: https://vidconlondon.com/agenda/15595/laugh-it-up/ no solo panel this time by the looks of it.

I don’t think it’s 100% complete yet though; for example the (former) buzzfeed guys said they have a panel and that isn’t on there yet. So watch this space I guess.
blackbirddan.tumblr.com
flarequake
not an airport stalker
Pronouns: She/her

Comedy trends? Does Phil follow trends in comedy? I guess he keeps up with memes and internet news. Heh, Daz Black’s on the panel, he’s got a ‘phangirl’ video that’s quite fun. Sounds he’s making are kinda gross tbh, then it starts being funny (kind of)

Ooh, Phil in the icon above me looks so swish in Dan’s scarf, like Dan in his scarf in the ‘I’m at an art museum’ selfies, but the low-budget version ;) (just the text, Phil still looks fancy).

alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

This may be a stretch, but look - there just isn't much else going on and that always means tinhat time: It says the winners will be announced and video messages sent between the 20-25th - I wonder if that means Dan and Phil are recording them all then? Since they have to be together to do that, I'm seeing visions of Christmas on Isle of Man...
Amiaw
interactive introvert

I’m not taking anything away from the Christmas hopes but they’ll probably record them before Phil usually leaves
obsessivelymoody
emo goose

alittledizzy wrote: Tue Dec 10, 2019 7:07 pm This may be a stretch, but look - there just isn't much else going on and that always means tinhat time: It says the winners will be announced and video messages sent between the 20-25th - I wonder if that means Dan and Phil are recording them all then? Since they have to be together to do that, I'm seeing visions of Christmas on Isle of Man...
I think this is an absolutely correct assumption and the only way it can go. And I'm ready for it :rainbowtears: :festivedeppy:

Also Phil tweeted, and this sounds like a literal nightmare.
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

Amiaw wrote: Tue Dec 10, 2019 7:19 pm I’m not taking anything away from the Christmas hopes but they’ll probably record them before Phil usually leaves
Oh, they changed it from the website info then. On the product page it says: "Winners will be notified and video messages will be sent via email between 20-25 December 2019"

That said I don't see any reason why Dan wouldn't go with him again this year since it'd be the third year running. Him being t the Lesters right up until Christmas seems like a tradition they only took a few years off from to begin with.
madzilla84
eclipse shirt

We may not even find out if Dan does go, unless Phil happens to mention it in a liveshow - we didn’t know he’d gone up for Phil’s birthday until a fan spotted them at the airport. I hope he does, I’m sure he loves going. :)
blackbirddan.tumblr.com
glitterintheair
phillluminati

Here to say that I hope someone will write an AU fic based on Phil’s tweet where the infamous neighbor is Dan
I'm a winter flower underground, always thirsty for summer rain.
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

I have just found out that couriers leaving your package with a neighbor is COMMON PRACTICE in the UK. What?? What? Why! Oh my god. That sounds like it was invented to torture introverts. Do you even get to pick the neighbor? Like, the potential for my neighbor to see what places I'm ordering from online alone is making my heart race. You'd have to trust in discreet packaging a WHOLE LOT. No thank you, don't need that seventy five year old school teacher across the street to know where that box is from or what's in it, that's sacred information between me and Adam & Eve.
noodlebum
flower crown

I accepted a parcel for a neighbour last week when off work and it's still in my porch now. Maybe we're both too horrified at the idea of knocking on the others door to collect/deliver it? I wouldn't have done but the postman saw me through the window and I felt too awkward to just say no to taking it :(
madzilla84
eclipse shirt

We have a thing called securedrop where you sign up for it and then they just leave stuff in your designated place if you’re not there to sign for it. (Obviously signing up for it means you accept that if it’s left and then goes missing it’s on you.) You can choose if that’s with a neighbour/in the porch/doorstep/whatever. But I would *never* choose to have it left with a neighbour and if somehow something was left with me, I’d wordlessly leave it outside their door. :lol:
blackbirddan.tumblr.com
Catallena
classy cat lady
classy cat lady

alittledizzy wrote: Tue Dec 10, 2019 9:27 pm I have just found out that couriers leaving your package with a neighbor is COMMON PRACTICE in the UK. What?? What? Why! Oh my god. That sounds like it was invented to torture introverts. Do you even get to pick the neighbor? Like, the potential for my neighbor to see what places I'm ordering from online alone is making my heart race. You'd have to trust in discreet packaging a WHOLE LOT. No thank you, don't need that seventy five year old school teacher across the street to know where that box is from or what's in it, that's sacred information between me and Adam & Eve.
It's normal here too, I'm surprised it isn't elsewhere. It does always feel a bit like a walk of shame for shopaholics when you drag yourself to your neighbor's door and ring the doorbell with a plastered on smile to ask for your package. Even if it's just cat food. These days many shops do allow you to pick it up from a postal service point nearby (it's often even cheaper as well) but usually your neighbor takes it.

Since my mom doesn't work anymore and is home a lot, our hallway frequently has someone's package sitting by the door. I now know that my one next door neighbor orders a lot of clothes at Bonprix and another neighbor's son ordered a lot of protein powder when he still lived at home. Nothing shocking yet. A few years ago we did have a neighbor who had huge floor length mirror delivered to her home while she was on holiday. We didn't know she was on holiday and figured she'd pick it up that evening. That sucker sat in our tiny hallway for a week. We don't take packages for her anymore.
Twitter *•.(★).•* Tumblr
stufflizloves
living flop

the THOUGHT of that makes me so anxious and upset, lol!! the next time i’m moaning about not being able to get authentic Cadbury chocolate, i’ll just remember that i can order vibrators and happy lights in the mail without my neighbors being all the wiser.

(those things are, ahem, not related. random examples. you know.)
nicky1388
spork

flarequake wrote: Tue Dec 10, 2019 2:15 pm Comedy trends? Does Phil follow trends in comedy? I guess he keeps up with memes and internet news. Heh, Daz Black’s on the panel, he’s got a ‘phangirl’ video that’s quite fun. Sounds he’s making are kinda gross tbh, then it starts being funny (kind of)

Ooh, Phil in the icon above me looks so swish in Dan’s scarf, like Dan in his scarf in the ‘I’m at an art museum’ selfies, but the low-budget version ;) (just the text, Phil still looks fancy).

i literally am quoting you simply because you posted Daz. I have such a love/hate relationship with Daz. I dislike some of the things he says and think he misinterprets some things/views them wrong, but that is merely a difference of opinion. He's smart and outspoken in a really positive way. I can't get enough of him.

I wonder if Dan and Phil even register him on their radar ( i still think very naively sometimes that all the youtubers in one country must be aware of each other). He's actually only a couple of years older than Phil. He, however, leads a very different life.
Megancita75
ar·tic·u·late

I have an early DnP history question. I got curious about how they started at the BBC, which I believe was in December 2011, so I searched out their first BBC Christmas special, which I believe is this:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p00n10ml

Was this first Christmas special not a live radio show? All the segments I'm seeing here look pre-recorded, either in their apartment or at the BBC studios. I guess I'm trying to imagine how this was a radio show that was broadcast. Maybe it wasn't actually a radio show, but a video-only segment on the BBC website? Anyway, watching this is confusing me as to how this was broadcast. Does anyone remember?