Dan & Phil Part 92: japhan 2.0

Our two favourite full time internet nerds who never go outside!
obsessivelymoody
emo goose
Pronouns: she/her

Megancita75 wrote: Wed Dec 11, 2019 3:49 am I have an early DnP history question. I got curious about how they started at the BBC, which I believe was in December 2011, so I searched out their first BBC Christmas special, which I believe is this:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p00n10ml

Was this first Christmas special not a live radio show? All the segments I'm seeing here look pre-recorded, either in their apartment or at the BBC studios. I guess I'm trying to imagine how this was a radio show that was broadcast. Maybe it wasn't actually a radio show, but a video-only segment on the BBC website? Anyway, watching this is confusing me as to how this was broadcast. Does anyone remember?
It was prerecorded! It broadcast online, on the radio, and I believe on TV (don't quote me on that bit tho lol). This acted as the kind of base-level for what the Dan and Phil Show on Radio 1 would look like, but it wasn't their start for working with the BBC. They got that through being asked to perform at the Edinburgh Fringe Fest in 2011 (well, Phil did at least, and dragged Dan with him).

If you want more of a detailed history of them and Radio 1/the BBC, there's an FAQ page for it here. (#spon lol)
flarequake
not an airport stalker
Pronouns: She/her

I find it forever lovely that Phil got Dan in on that first bit they did for the BBC, I mean, they were both doing youtube so it makes sense, but they hadn’t heard of him, I guess, and Phil doing that meant Dan got the big career in the end too (in case he wouldn’t have by himself). Also they’d probably noticed pretty quickly that the audience loved them together even more than either alone. But mostly just Phil giving Dan the same opportunity is adorable to me.

Daz does seem quite a lad, not that I know much about him really. I was surprised the guys met with Will and Arden in Japan, tbh I didn’t think they really knew each other. Will’s friends with Caspar, Joe, Jack and Finn, Adrian Bliss etc, seen them in older videos and spotted some of them out in London once, but there are still different circles and Deps do seem to keep to themselves a lot. Still, some of the older youtubers keep up, or did a few years ago (a friend did social media for his company and went to some parties).
Judearaya
sofa crease

ugh i am tooooorn y'all. I kinda want the skull sequin sweater for Christmas. But it is so not me. But I wanna play with the sequins. And wear black. But no joke my family will never let me live it down if I wear a skull sweater. I know, serious problems, right??
noodlebum
flower crown

I'm really tempted too and tbh it is more my aesthetic than a lot of the other merch either of them have put out. Just trying to justify the price to myself...!
Amiaw
interactive introvert

Philly L looking good this morning
flarequake
not an airport stalker

Lol, cheeky. I thought that was a load of glitter at first. Damn, he looks good.
Amiaw
interactive introvert

I just got an email that my glitch hoodie has finally shipped so people should start receiving them soon
kavat
pastel persona

(Slightly OT but I enjoyed Daniel J's video on the matter today)
poweroftriangles
pumpkin spice pumpkin cookie
Pronouns: he/him

Has he urged people to vote against the Tories this clearly before? Corbyn ditties and replies aside?
anti-YouNow club :sarcasticclap:
madzilla84
eclipse shirt

Dan is mentioned in this article as having co-signed the letter: Hundreds of LGBT+ celebrities and activists issue urgent plea for future UK government to commit to queer rights
From original Stonewall co-founders to figures on the front-line of LGBT+ rights worldwide, 180 high-profile queer leaders have signed a letter urging the government to protect and extend LGBT+ rights.

LGBT Foundation, LGBT Consortium and Stonewall joined forces to rally those running – regardless of political affiliation – to prioritise queer rights. Elected or not.

Trans author Juno Dawson, gay radio presenter Daniel Howell, drag queen Sassi Afrika as well as leaders behind queer charities akt and Terrence Higgins Trust are just some of the joint statement’s signatories.
'Gay radio presenter' made me LOL, (nice Google search result from 2015) but in the list of signatures itself at the end of the letter he's listed more accurately as 'comedian'.
blackbirddan.tumblr.com
flarequake
not an airport stalker

I took support of Corbyn to be inherently against the Tories, but no, I don’t think he has been so explicit before.
parallel
phabergé

I mean, I expected some tweeting about the GE, but I didn't expect him to so publicly, explicitly, and strongly express an opinion like this. Good on him. (I can't say that without sounding sarcastic, but I genuinely mean it—I think the tweet is great)
Neons
spork

I have to admit him tweeting that has won back some of the good feeling he lost from me after the not-caring-about-fans-unless-I've-got-merch-out shit he pulled.

Unfortunately I still think Tories will get in, sob
Becky.rigby
living flop

I ordered phils hot chocolate and it has arrived today!! :D i thought i would share the experience with you all. On first opinions the smell is absolutely delicious and i got my mom to smell and she said it smells very christmassy :D now time for the taste once its cooled down.

Update: wow!! Very intense but delicious, the spices reallly get to the back of your throat (maybe I put too much powder in?) Its different though and i like it
Such a shame that its only a one off thing :(
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

I am debating the Glitch hoodie but I don't trust the sizing. If anyone that ordered theirs gets it can you report in on if the sizing is the same as their other stuff? I noticed they didn't put which one Sarah was wearing this time, which is probably what I'd have used for a size guide for myself.
obsessivelymoody
emo goose

My idb merch came and I'm so, so happy with it. Cannot recommend enough, seriously!!
obvsly
#relatable

Are we gonna have a voting related selfie or two? Dear god please 🙏
liola
rankussy

Dan has tweeted a lot of bad things over the years but fuck i think this takes the cake. And if I had to see it, so do you.
Will probably never be over the BONCAS and the beauty of Phil Lester.

Official Moving Hill Mayor
Megancita75
ar·tic·u·late

I'm also loving this exchange.
obvsly
#relatable

liola wrote: Thu Dec 12, 2019 3:02 pm Dan has tweeted a lot of bad things over the years but fuck i think this takes the cake. And if I had to see it, so do you.
The ultimate betrayal :evil: can't believe he robbed us of the selfie
flarequake
not an airport stalker

Good grief, Daniel :shock: cannot be unseen. The best response was the rolled up newspaper tbh. Boy gets away with anything on this internet. Lots of being out and gay to catch up with and shout about, huh. Cripes. And yes, a photo would’ve been nice, Daniel (full name twice, he is in trouble).

Btw, Jazza John is doing a livestream at 9.30pm to wait and hope for the results together. They won’t be clear until the morning, but things start to trickle in and the news shows get busy.
LadyLackless
cheeky #spon
Pronouns: She/Her

liola wrote: Thu Dec 12, 2019 3:02 pm Dan has tweeted a lot of bad things over the years but fuck i think this takes the cake. And if I had to see it, so do you.
why is he like this.
flarequake
not an airport stalker

Does he need to let off some steam? Go out and party more? Seriously I think he’s had to keep quiet for so long that it’s been pent up and now he can be himself (thinking similarly of those very rare cutesy shoulder-move moments in BIG eg ‘but I didn’t have to, love you!’ and ‘his name was Chan’).
obsessivelymoody
emo goose

flarequake wrote: Thu Dec 12, 2019 4:29 pm Does he need to let off some steam? Go out and party more? Seriously I think he’s had to keep quiet for so long that it’s been pent up and now he can be himself (thinking similarly of those very rare cutesy shoulder-move moments in BIG eg ‘but I didn’t have to, love you!’ and ‘his name was Chan’).
I don't really understand why every time Dan makes a comment even slightly related to this topic people go out on a limb saying he needs to "go out" or (not seen here atm) clearly he isn't actually with Phil or he wouldn't be saying that stuff, which truly my favourite anti theory in this pcou.

Is he not allowed to have eyes? Or to make a comment on something he finds funny, sometimes with a flirty tone to another queer person? Why is that treated as something he needs to get out of his system and calm down about?
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

The world may be in upheaval but at least we got a good curls selfie out of it?

(It's probably for the best that IDB doesn't show the caption.)