Dan & Phil Part 92: japhan 2.0

Our two favourite full time internet nerds who never go outside!
Neons
spork

I too want proper pics of them in those lovely suits, I am weak.
glitterintheair wrote: Thu Dec 19, 2019 9:11 am We will get the joint Star Wars selfie on a signed card next year as a “gift” if we buy something from their shops, dw guys!
This made me lol, sadly I wouldn't even be surprised anymore.

On a separate note, if I may pop my tinhat on for a moment, I'm wondering if it's just coincidence that Phil still hasn't uploaded the most recent liveshow considering the controversy some of the comments in it generated among the fandom. I know he's sometimes late with them though.
flarequake
not an airport stalker
Pronouns: She/her

I was totally still expecting a joint photo of some kind. Photographers took some of them before, it’s not just joint selfies, but damn, so far just solo Phil. I’m glad to see him full length, though it’s not the clearest. His pose is funny like ‘I am scary stormtrooper too’. I’d love to see Dan’s whole suit without a robot in front. Phil’s shoes, though. Such Noel Coward vibes. Bryony looks amazing, but also a little like a liquorice allsort ;)
autumnhearth
senpai
Pronouns: she/her

missemma wrote: Wed Dec 18, 2019 11:08 pm Eek can’t believe we got to say hello to them tonight. They were with PJ and Sophie and some others that I don’t know (or took much interest in). They were kind as always and stood to talk to us for a minute or so. Dan was so kind and recorded a video for my girlfriend as I showed him her tattoo (his quote and she has asked me not to share the video so I won’t - mainly after a photo of her kid was posted all over social media and it caused her a lot of anxiety) and they were both so kind about it. Having not seen him for some time I can only say that Dan looks beautiful. Maybe some time away has been good for him. Everything about him was just glowing. Don’t get me wrong Phil was also as lovely as ever but I just got this feeling from Dan that I can’t explain. Such a good evening!

Just a shame we didn’t see him after the presale thing went live 😂
You lucky duck. I’m glad to hear that he was glowing, it’s a shame he didn’t want to share anything from the night :/ Then again everyone’s content from that night is pretty low quality compared to two years ago. Except the black and white ones Dodie and Hazel shared. Dodie is adorable, but Hazel wins best dressed imo. The drape of her asymmetrical gown combined with her hair style, she’s serving some Leia Organa red carpet royalty realness.
flarequake
not an airport stalker

Oh yeah, Hazel’s outfit was amazing.
brexitboy
first-time poster

he is a communist but does like to profit lots from capitalism without making videos for 3 years
rizzo
unduly facetious
unduly facetious

It looks like a bunch of people that went to the premiere got back their cute little slomo promotional video thingies a couple hours ago. PJ & Sophie did one which only makes me presume Dan and Phil had their own.

And for the love of all that is good in the world, if we could just get that. Just that. They can disappear into their holiday hibernation until February for all I care.
poweroftriangles
pumpkin spice pumpkin cookie
Pronouns: he/him

Phil looks very smart. I want a better look at Dan's moon suit :(
Neons wrote: Thu Dec 19, 2019 10:43 am
On a separate note, if I may pop my tinhat on for a moment, I'm wondering if it's just coincidence that Phil still hasn't uploaded the most recent liveshow considering the controversy some of the comments in it generated among the fandom. I know he's sometimes late with them though.
Oh I really hope this isn't the case. He better not edit those parts out or something.
anti-YouNow club :sarcasticclap:
Megancita75
ar·tic·u·late

Count me as someone who would be thrilled for Dan if he did some sort of storytelling/comedy show. I think he would be good at it and I'd be happy for him to stretch his career wings.
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

Phil did a pancake insta story and it looks like their flat so I'm enjoying the idea that they all ordered breakfast in and he and Dan and Sophie and PJ had a nice pajama pancake breakfast and chill time.
flarequake
not an airport stalker

That pancake looked amazing. They’ve certainly had a nice time.

It would be nice to see the full suits, just missing Dan’s legs now :roll: shame that once again he’s a bit quiet on us. I mean, there’s the group photo, but silence is a bit stark next to Phil’s ig stories. Ack, I feel like a bad parent comparing my boys. Heh, all the annoyance and I’m still here, seems they cemented their special place in my heart as soon as they entered it.
liola
rankussy

brexitboy wrote: Thu Dec 19, 2019 3:21 pm he is a communist but does like to profit lots from capitalism without making videos for 3 years
communist? idk man he's never eaten a child before, doesn't sound very comrade of him :/
rizzo wrote: Thu Dec 19, 2019 3:22 pm It looks like a bunch of people that went to the premiere got back their cute little slomo promotional video thingies a couple hours ago. PJ & Sophie did one which only makes me presume Dan and Phil had their own.

And for the love of all that is good in the world, if we could just get that. Just that. They can disappear into their holiday hibernation until February for all I care.
If it gets me HD vision of Phil in his suit i'll take that, I just want the zoomed in HD vision of that purple shine on top of his black shirt god
Will probably never be over the BONCAS and the beauty of Phil Lester.

Official Moving Hill Mayor
dogsaremybestfriends
squish

Bit late to the party, but I love Phil's shoes. Everyone looked great, and I'm sure it was a lot of fun. I still want a full-length photo of Dan's outfit. What are you hiding, Dan? :lol: Or did I miss something and there is one? Someone fill me in if that's the case. I don't have instagram, so I have to rely on Twitter for updates on everyone's stories.
Phanshy
cheeky #spon

It feels like we are begging for scaps at this point, I get Dan not wanting to post personal stuff if he's not comfortable but this was a premiere hardly a private event, he could have easily posted a selfie that would have made us all happy and feel included without invading his private life. Maybe he'll post later but it feels like he's snubbing us.

I don't mean to sound bitter and entitled but he wouldn't be invited to events like this if he didn't have a fan base. I'm tired of feeling sad about someone who doesn't seem to care at all.
autumnhearth
senpai

rizzo wrote: Thu Dec 19, 2019 3:22 pm It looks like a bunch of people that went to the premiere got back their cute little slomo promotional video thingies a couple hours ago. PJ & Sophie did one which only makes me presume Dan and Phil had their own.

Yeah I just saw Sophie’s story on insta and those are pretty epic and high quality. Pleeeaase Dan! :please:
alittledizzy wrote: Thu Dec 19, 2019 4:01 pm Phil did a pancake insta story and it looks like their flat so I'm enjoying the idea that they all ordered breakfast in and he and Dan and Sophie and PJ had a nice pajama pancake breakfast and chill time.
I don’t recognize all that weird curved glass, but yum :pancakes: Took a second look and it’s a white plate on a light wood table, one of the glass things is a salt shaker and there’s a reflection of him in I’m guessing a napkin dispenser so definitely a restaurant. I’m also remembering them saying the delivered pancakes usually arrive cold, but it was a very cute visual :love2:
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

Phanshy wrote: Thu Dec 19, 2019 4:54 pm It feels like we are begging for scaps at this point, I get Dan not wanting to post personal stuff if he's not comfortable but this was a premiere hardly a private event, he could have easily posted a selfie that would have made us all happy and feel included without invading his private life. Maybe he'll post later but it feels like he's snubbing us.

I don't mean to sound bitter and entitled but he wouldn't be invited to events like this if he didn't have a fan base. I'm tired of feeling sad about someone who doesn't seem to care at all.
Probably unpopular opinion: My theory is that Dan does just want to ignore us when we're angry.

That he knows right now anything he posted would be met with a 'not enough, still mad' because we started the week out angry over the mukbang and nothing short of going back on that and saying 'here's your mukbang' will change that, so he's just checking out until he feels like this level of anger at him is something he can handle in his life. Same reason I think Phil hasn't posted the liveshow from Sunday or hasn't shared things on a social media platform where people can reply to him. I think it's Christmas and they're opting to try and live their live away from this level of reaction.

And I know that's probably vastly unsatisfying to fans that want to be heard but... god, I want to close out of social media when just one person is mad at me, and often do. I literally can't imagine how I'd feel about interacting with people if I knew the next time I posted something I was going to be upsetting people on matter what. I'd probably just want to avoid it, too, for my own mental health.

(Please note: this is not me saying anyone's feelings are not valid or that people shouldn't be upset or express that they're upset, or that Dan and Phil need to be protected from that. My opinion on what Dan may be doing is also not saying that he's in the right for it, if it's actually true, just that it may be what he's doing whether we like it or not.)
Amiaw
interactive introvert

My only issue with the idea that dan (or Phil to a lesser extent)is avoiding fans when they’re angry is that we wouldn’t be angry if they didn’t avoid us before we got to that point. Dan’s left Phil to do the dirty work every step of the way this year and it’s questionable how well phil handled that but there’s not really an excuse for the silence as a separate creator or even just as a person who has experience with this fandom and knows we don’t like being treated this way.

It is the holidays though and all the words in the world won’t change anything so I guess I’ll just sit here and wait patiently for Phil’s video and any scraps they want to throw our way.
flarequake
not an airport stalker

Hmm, I get wanting to avoid us while there’s anger, though if they were actually open and prompt with it then just maybe there’d be less of this anger towards them. I get that the phandom is always vociferous in its joy and its displeasure, and they know well by now how it goes so I can understand not wanting to deal with it en masse, still I don’t think they do themselves a great favour by keeping on ignoring it and sometimes leaving things, letting them be dragged out before finally giving answers.

I’m also on team ‘why are we here begging for scraps like a sad person in a bad relationship’? Cos they do get these invitations because of their youtuber status (though it’s nice Bryony’s invitations weren’t ever revoked), so from a persnickety, maybe entitled fan, point of view, it would be nice if they’d think of us too while they have all this fun. I do feel like a sad sap wanting a better photo of a man in nice clothes, though :roll:
madzilla84
eclipse shirt

I hope that isn’t the reason - that seems a bit like punishing us for having feelings. I know some people go over the top but I don’t think anyone would give him grief for posting some insta pics of himself at a premiere (except for the tiny minority who give him grief for everything). I’d hoped he’d just been too busy/tired yesterday but apparently not.
blackbirddan.tumblr.com
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

madzilla84 wrote: Thu Dec 19, 2019 5:41 pm I hope that isn’t the reason - that seems a bit like punishing us for having feelings. I know some people go over the top but I don’t think anyone would give him grief for posting some insta pics of himself at a premiere (except for the tiny minority who give him grief for everything). I’d hoped he’d just been too busy/tired yesterday but apparently not.
I think for me, the idea of it is less punishment and more boundaries. If it were the reason, since this is pure speculation, I'd look at it less from the perspective of 'he's doing this to us' and more 'he's doing this for himself.' There are a lot of stressful factors in life you can't avoid but social media is one that you do have control over. You can choose not to view or engage. If Dan is struggling with feelings of guilt and responsibility over drawing a boundary for us (deciding no mukbang) then he may not feel like seeing our anger is healthy for him, warranted or not. After all, the damage is done; reading everyone's hot takes on how bad they are at communication won't undo the past. It'll would theoretically just serve to amplify negative feelings he has right now, and any depressive spirals, feelings of failure, or anxieties he may be prone to.

(But, I feel like I need to say again, this isn't me implying that fans shouldn't express themselves. Just that fans expressing themselves doesn't obligate Dan and Phil to react the way that would be satisfying to us, especially since we don't know what else is going on in their lives.)
madzilla84
eclipse shirt

That’s true. But I thought that was sort of the appeal of insta stories- that you post and dip, essentially, and you don’t have to worry about likes/replies/comments, especially if you’ve turned them off for folks you don’t follow (as I suspect he has). I can understand him avoiding his @ replies on twitter, but I don’t know how much fallout he’s had re the mukbang and communication since it was Phil who delivered that bit of news (maybe a lot, I don’t know, I haven’t looked through his replies). I was just surprised he didn’t mention the premiere at all, is all, given it’s the sort of thing he usually is happy/keen to share, and people know he was there. But I have no idea what’s going on with him, so. *shrug*
blackbirddan.tumblr.com
Grey
lady door

Well yeah it seems pretty clear that he is ignoring us because he doesn’t feel like interacting with us. That’s not new and it certainly did not begin after Phil’s latest liveshow.

In terms of it being a mental health thing, of course it could be, who knows. But it does strike me as odd that whatever mental health issues we cause him suddenly disappear when it comes to selling merch. That’s an unusual presentation of symptoms for sure.
I'm having a stress.
flarequake
not an airport stalker

I would have thought there’d be a lot more of the usual falling all over him in admiration when he posts a photo, though that doesn’t cover up all negativity. I suppose we don’t know exactly what they see or how much, or how they feel about it. It is helpful when they tell us, Phil’s Draw my Life gave us some good insight, as did Dan’s recent tumblr post, it doesn’t need to be huge. But yeah, if it’s also causing grief then they’ve got to look after themselves.

It was in that last December 2018 liveshow that Dan said the break was partly to come back with better content for us, or however he put it, so time away from all the responses is good, though we don’t know still if or how he’s actually coming back.

*snrk* on the merch timing comment ;) I suppose we could argue that there’s some parts of the job he’s committed to that he can’t ignore, like anyone with mental health troubles and a job, but merch is distinctly money-making where some of their interactions with us aren’t, Twitter, Tumblr and Instagram, anyway, although videos and liveshows do earn them some too. They’re a different kind of work, though, and designing the merch is sitting down and doing it himself, interacting with the suppliers etc instead of us. I know I finally discovered that I’m suited to ‘sit down and do the work’ rather than ‘interact all day with everyone’.
Last edited by flarequake on Thu Dec 19, 2019 6:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

Grey wrote: Thu Dec 19, 2019 6:09 pm Well yeah it seems pretty clear that he is ignoring us because he doesn’t feel like interacting with us. That’s not new and it certainly did not begin after Phil’s latest liveshow.

In terms of it being a mental health thing, of course it could be, who knows. But it does strike me as odd that whatever mental health issues we cause him suddenly disappear when it comes to selling merch. That’s an unusual presentation of symptoms for sure.
I think he communicated the merch situation just fine by telling us that no more merch was coming after the second, pre-planned merch drop so that's not really a factor in this for me. We have it straight from him, in a post where he was communicating directly to us: no more merch until he has a project.
Birdie
blobfish
Pronouns: they/them

alittledizzy wrote: Thu Dec 19, 2019 5:01 pm Probably unpopular opinion: My theory is that Dan does just want to ignore us when we're angry.

That he knows right now anything he posted would be met with a 'not enough, still mad' because we started the week out angry over the mukbang and nothing short of going back on that and saying 'here's your mukbang' will change that, so he's just checking out until he feels like this level of anger at him is something he can handle in his life. Same reason I think Phil hasn't posted the liveshow from Sunday or hasn't shared things on a social media platform where people can reply to him. I think it's Christmas and they're opting to try and live their live away from this level of reaction.

And I know that's probably vastly unsatisfying to fans that want to be heard but... god, I want to close out of social media when just one person is mad at me, and often do. I literally can't imagine how I'd feel about interacting with people if I knew the next time I posted something I was going to be upsetting people on matter what. I'd probably just want to avoid it, too, for my own mental health.

(Please note: this is not me saying anyone's feelings are not valid or that people shouldn't be upset or express that they're upset, or that Dan and Phil need to be protected from that. My opinion on what Dan may be doing is also not saying that he's in the right for it, if it's actually true, just that it may be what he's doing whether we like it or not.)
Bolded part: Nah, him addressing his recent silence would change that. I don't think most of us actually want a video Dan doesn't want to make. This isn't about the mukbang, it's about how they share information and how they handle the audience's reaction. Most of us don't even want the mukbang, we want Dan to acknowledge that dropping off the face of the earth and only returning to sell stuff isn't cool.

Rest of the post: The thing is, we wouldn't be angry if they weren't treating their audience this way. Dan doesn't have to go awol and only come back when he needs to push his merch. Phil doesn't have to wait until right before Christmas before sharing upsetting information he clearly knew earlier than that. They decided to do it this way so they'll have to live with the audience reactions to it. Sure, they don't want their Christmas ruined by the fans being angry but that could have been avoided by just not sharing info like that right before Christmas. Two years in a row. Vicious cycle, I guess, but they could break it anytime with some sweet, sweet communication and yet...
alittledizzy wrote:I think for me, the idea of it is less punishment and more boundaries. If it were the reason, since this is pure speculation, I'd look at it less from the perspective of 'he's doing this to us' and more 'he's doing this for himself.'
I agree with this (and your overall point in your last post), don't get me wrong, but he's not just doing this for himself, he's also doing it to himself. And while Dan and Phil are obviously allowed to set boundaries and don't have to react the way we want them to... that's also true for us. We have boundaries as supporters too and I think a lot of us feel like those have been overstepped recently. And we obviously also don't have to react the way they want us to. So in the end I don't really know where this leaves us and them as viewers/creators but also customers/a business in the long run.
glitterintheair
phillluminati

Ignoring us because he knows we’re angry is exactly the reason why their (or should I say Dan’s at this point? Idk) communication skills suck. Instead of giving real,actual answers, instead of giving explanations/having discussions, there’s just silence. How can there be a honest, transparent relationship between audience and creator like this?
I'm a winter flower underground, always thirsty for summer rain.