Dan & Phil Part 93: Fomosexual

Our two favourite full time internet nerds who never go outside!
marianeedsnihilism
tol bean

No holiday baking either....not that I’m surprised but ngl my soul aches a little.
bevioletsky
glabella

Oh I love him a lot for this one, that was so funny. Also chaotic as ever, and overall just good.

I’m still a bit uncertain sometimes if he might succeed a little better at crafts or baking or such if he actually focused and applied himself a bit more but um idk maybe he really just isn’t very good? Which is very valid. (Not to make it sound like I’m surprised at him not being the best at art lol, I think I’m just in denial over exactly how much of a mess he always manages to make. He still didn’t do himself any favours with the awkward, constricted set-up and the wobbly easel, but yeah.)

As for Dan editing the video, I mean it’s possible? But at the same time it’s not like this was the first time Phil’s used comic sans in his videos, and in addition to the editing quite a few things he said could be seen as rather Dan-esque, and I just always wonder if people still sometimes associate a certain style and brand of humour a bit too exclusively with one of them rather than accounting for their similarities as well as them having had a decade to rub off on each other. Figuratively. Probably literally as well but okay.

Anyway, good job whoever did it; again, hilarious, and the kind of thing I like to see from Phil so thank you sir.
Sami
squish

bevioletsky wrote: Mon Dec 23, 2019 10:11 am Oh I love him a lot for this one, that was so funny. Also chaotic as ever, and overall just good.

I’m still a bit uncertain sometimes if he might succeed a little better at crafts or baking or such if he actually focused and applied himself a bit more but um idk maybe he really just isn’t very good? Which is very valid. (Not to make it sound like I’m surprised at him not being the best at art lol, I think I’m just in denial over exactly how much of a mess he always manages to make. He still didn’t do himself any favours with the awkward, constricted set-up and the wobbly easel, but yeah.)

As for Dan editing the video, I mean it’s possible? But at the same time it’s not like this was the first time Phil’s used comic sans in his videos, and in addition to the editing quite a few things he said could be seen as rather Dan-esque, and I just always wonder if people still sometimes associate a certain style and brand of humour a bit too exclusively with one of them rather than accounting for their similarities as well as them having had a decade to rub off on each other. Figuratively. Probably literally as well but okay.
Anyway, good job whoever did it; again, hilarious, and the kind of thing I like to see from Phil so thank you sir.
That just made me snort laugh at my desk :oops: probs shouldn't be checking the thread at work but it is nearly Christmas, do they really expect me to work?
Hoot hoot, b*tch - Phil Lester 2019
Birdie
blobfish
Pronouns: they/them

That's exactly the kind of video I love from him. That chaotic energy is chef's kiss. I was like "What are you doing, this is not what Bob did at all!" for eleven minutes straight basically and I loved it

I also felt very seen when he talked about how turning art into an exam ruined it for him, I made the same mistake, choosing A-Level Art and then never wanting to pick up a pencil again, lol. School does that to stuff you like. (Looking at his final result though I'm gonna say he could have done a lot better if he'd concentrated a bit more. His painting gave me some accidental impressionist vibes before he added the gay barn, lmao.)
Grey
lady door

I enjoyed that video a lot too! Very funny and enjoyable. The resulting mess was impressive. :ravetree:

Also, I thought he said “fuckers”, but in hindsight “bitches” seems more like something Phil would say.

Minor quibble: I thought he said in his liveshow as a hint that the video was going to be in front of his Christmas tree. Did I imagine that? Maybe. I’m too lazy to go back and check. It doesn’t matter but I was surprised by the filming location.
I'm having a stress.
poweroftriangles
pumpkin spice pumpkin cookie
Pronouns: he/him

This was a nice funny video! Similar energy to the Norman face-painting one. He's so adorable.

It's not impossible Dan edited the video, but I believe Phil is actually more similar to Dan than he lets up in his videos. Interesting to see that once in a while. Also, I miss the old-style YouTube annotations, their vibe was quite unique. I hope someone has archived all the Lion dialogues and everything else Phil used it for.
anti-YouNow club :sarcasticclap:
Neons
spork

Grey wrote: Mon Dec 23, 2019 1:29 pm Minor quibble: I thought he said in his liveshow as a hint that the video was going to be in front of his Christmas tree. Did I imagine that? Maybe. I’m too lazy to go back and check. It doesn’t matter but I was surprised by the filming location.
I had Phil's latest liveshow on in the background this morning while I was pottering around the flat and he said something about the "tree with tinsel" making an appearance in the new video, like you I took this originally to mean his xmas tree but now I'm wondering if he meant the large plant covered in tinsel that was to the right of him in the vid.
poweroftriangles wrote: Mon Dec 23, 2019 1:52 pm It's not impossible Dan edited the video, but I believe Phil is actually more similar to Dan than he lets up in his videos. Interesting to see that once in a while. Also, I miss the old-style YouTube annotations, their vibe was quite unique. I hope someone has archived all the Lion dialogues and everything else Phil used it for.
I agree, I get the impression Phil can be a lot more snarky and sassy off camera, and I imagine it's part of the reason he and Dan get on so well. I think in the past Phil has maybe played up the innocent and sweet Amazingphil persona as a contrast to snarky moody danisnotonfire but in reality they are probably far more similar to each other in various ways. And of course they've been together so long now they're bound to pick up each others' sense of humour. I think the idea Dan edited it is a bit silly personally.

Anyway lovely video, it was really what I needed to abate some xmas stress yesterday.
Amiaw
interactive introvert

On rewatch it does seem like some of the editing choices were classic Phil but some of them seemed like dan and it could be possible they both worked on it or that it was fully Phil but either way it was hilarious and Phil is hilarious so I’m satisfied
lefthandedism
simply stressed bisexual
simply stressed bisexual
Pronouns: she/her

"If you're left-handed, ask a friend."
"Why am I left-handed?"
"Everybody makes mistakes."
yellowsubmarine
hobbit hair

Why would Dan edit another youtuber's video? With the way he is avoiding it like the plague?

I also agree this is Phil's humor entirely. Well, at least the new youtube!Phil, not AmazingPhil. If it makes sense.
"Treat yourself, because you're special and you're worth it."
lefthandedism
simply stressed bisexual
simply stressed bisexual

yellowsubmarine wrote: Mon Dec 23, 2019 3:20 pm Why would Dan edit another youtuber's video? With the way he is avoiding it like the plague?
Phil isn't exactly just another YouTuber! It seems plausible that Dan took on the editing of the video while Phil went to visit his family in IoM. It makes me think of the time two (?) years ago when Dan went home to edit a Gamingmas video while Phil stayed at the work party doing shots.
"If you're left-handed, ask a friend."
"Why am I left-handed?"
"Everybody makes mistakes."
liola
rankussy

Phil has used writing on screen before, and with how tightly they worked together over the years I don't know why anyone is surprised that their styles have gotten more and more similar?

Also Dan and Phil themselves have said that they're actually really similar and also people who know them irl have almost complained that they're the same person. To me that edit was 100% Phil, they might have split the gaming channel editing but they always edited their solo channels themselves, asking for opinions from the others

Like.. Phil can be funny and creative and also sarcastic by himself
Will probably never be over the BONCAS and the beauty of Phil Lester.

Official Moving Hill Mayor
blahblahblah8
pumpkin spice pumpkin cookie

While I was watching it I thought the humor/comedy in the edits was very Phil. But I don’t really differentiate their editing styles much. If I had to guess who edited what gaming vid, I’d have no clue. But as far as the comments poking fun at himself, I’m pretty sure he’s been doing that in a few videos this year.
flarequake
not an airport stalker
Pronouns: She/her

Some types of work feel easier than others, depends what you prefer, though. Editing a video is a calmer solitary vibe than recording it and being on for the camera. Writing it’s different too. Dan editing a lot of the gaming videos could be him preferring that part, idk, it may have been just a trade-off for dividing the work cos Dan said he left the technical side of recording gaming to Phil cos he didn’t understand it, but idk if that’s an equal division and Phil might have wanted some input on the editing anyway.
marianeedsnihilism
tol bean

I wouldn’t be surprised if Dan takes on editing YT vids on the side. I mean as someone said, the difference between editing a video and filming one is huge, plus it’s probably good money on the side. We know Dan has edited other people’s videos before (like Louise) so it’s likely. However, this video was all Phil all the way, it reminded me of old school Phil. The only thing missing from those captions was Lion “saying” them.
Birdie
blobfish
Pronouns: they/them

yellowsubmarine wrote:Why would Dan edit another youtuber's video? With the way he is avoiding it like the plague?
Yeah, this. Why would they say they're not a joint brand anymore and then edit each other's stuff, it would make no sense. (Not that they've made a lot of sense lately, but anyways.) And also, like, give Phil some credit, guys. I thought the comments in the video were classic Phil. It's probably his old wholesome persona haunting him that makes people question if that's actually his humour but Phil was always basically the epitome of Chaotic Good and it's finally showing in his videos again. He used to make stuff like this all the time way back when.

Also... do we know Dan edited all the videos we think he did? Maybe Phil edited some of them and we just thought it had to be Dan because we associated that kind of humour/editing with Dan.
marianeedsnihilism wrote:However, this video was all Phil all the way, it reminded me of old school Phil. The only thing missing from those captions was Lion “saying” them.
That's what I've been thinking for a while now. His Norman make-up video was also very similar to early Phil stuff and I'm so happy that side of him is back.
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

liola wrote: Mon Dec 23, 2019 3:47 pm Phil has used writing on screen before, and with how tightly they worked together over the years I don't know why anyone is surprised that their styles have gotten more and more similar?

Also Dan and Phil themselves have said that they're actually really similar and also people who know them irl have almost complained that they're the same person. To me that edit was 100% Phil, they might have split the gaming channel editing but they always edited their solo channels themselves, asking for opinions from the others

I didn't realize people were framing it/interpreting it as Dan must have edited it because it was funny. To me it was the timing of it; Phil said he filmed it a few days ago but we also knew he went to Isle of Man and had family obligations there. I view it more like Dan and Phil both trusting each other implicitly and if Phil had less time than Dan, Dan would step up and edit it for him. It's not a commentary on Phil being incapable, just them being partners.
stufflizloves
living flop

alittledizzy wrote: Mon Dec 23, 2019 5:31 pm
liola wrote: Mon Dec 23, 2019 3:47 pm Phil has used writing on screen before, and with how tightly they worked together over the years I don't know why anyone is surprised that their styles have gotten more and more similar?

I didn't realize people were framing it/interpreting it as Dan must have edited it because it was funny. To me it was more the timing of it; Phil said he filmed it a few days ago but we also knew he went to Isle of Man and had family obligations there. I view it more like Dan and Phil both trusting each other implicitly and if Phil had less time than Dan, Dan would step up and edit it for him. It's not a commentary on Phil being incapable, just them being partners.
yup and sorry to perpetually compare dnp to j&j but its also not totally out of the realm of possibility between couples "slash" business partners--julian offered to edit jenna's vegan wedding soup video before they even really began the video. also i could totally see phil trusting dan to edit a video for him; its a little harder for me to imagine dan letting phil edit a video for him (tho...lol, not so much a problem right now... :shrug: )
marianeedsnihilism
tol bean

Katka wrote: Mon Dec 23, 2019 5:24 pm And also, like, give Phil some credit, guys. I thought the comments in the video were classic Phil. It's probably his old wholesome persona haunting him that makes people question if that's actually his humour but Phil was always basically the epitome of Chaotic Good and it's finally showing in his videos again. He used to make stuff like this all the time way back when.

Also... do we know Dan edited all the videos we think he did? Maybe Phil edited some of them and we just thought it had to be Dan because we associated that kind of humour/editing with Dan.
This!!!! I don’t blame people for not knowing Pre Dan-2010ish Phil content, especially since apparently some people joined after the coming out videos. But Dan is 100% NOT the only of the two with sarcastic/edgy humor. I don’t agree with the idea that Phil lost all of that when he geared his content towards a more family friendly audience. He just toned it way way down, like sugarcoated it so much that Dan’s “unfiltered” humor contrasted so much and thus, the labels of “wholesome angel” and “dark and sarcastic nihilist” were born. Even though they’ve had the same sense of humor the whole time.
marianeedsnihilism
tol bean

I didn't realize people were framing it/interpreting it as Dan must have edited it because it was funny. To me it was the timing of it; Phil said he filmed it a few days ago but we also knew he went to Isle of Man and had family obligations there. I view it more like Dan and Phil both trusting each other implicitly and if Phil had less time than Dan, Dan would step up and edit it for him. It's not a commentary on Phil being incapable, just them being partners.

That’s totally fair. I mean editing on the way to Isle of Man and back would be difficult and unnecessary if Dan could do it, but I just feel like we could maybe tell the difference between DnP’s editing. But maybe not since they’re really similar. The editing just read as Phil to me.
flarequake
not an airport stalker
Pronouns: She/her

Assuming my backup is fine, which it probably is, I just haven’t looked in a while, I used obs to screen record/back up every video with annotations back in January. All the interactive ones and lion conversations should be there, I wanted to edit or at least list them properly so didn’t get to putting them anywhere yet. It was pretty tiring and made a cold return at the time cos it was 6 days of sitting there hitting record. Once I can sit up and take the time, hopefully I can sort them out. Right now I’m hoping for the gods of tight sacroiliac joints to release me from this hell, I’ve spent two weeks lying down, a particularly bad instance of my back problem (please send chocolate :roll: ).
liola
rankussy

I don't think someone wanted to imply Phil is incapable but I recall other times where someone thought dan had edited a video because of writing on screen/some humorous and sarcastic text. But Dan and Phil are more similar than people think (or so they said) so I just don't think that because of the humour it must mean that Phil didn't do it

I didn't think about the timing because Phil is usually pretty quick with the filming/editing turnaround, but people were commenting on the text on screen as reason to be Dan and not in a helping/being a good partner. :shrug:
Will probably never be over the BONCAS and the beauty of Phil Lester.

Official Moving Hill Mayor
yellowsubmarine
hobbit hair

marianeedsnihilism wrote: Mon Dec 23, 2019 5:44 pm
Katka wrote: Mon Dec 23, 2019 5:24 pm And also, like, give Phil some credit, guys. I thought the comments in the video were classic Phil. It's probably his old wholesome persona haunting him that makes people question if that's actually his humour but Phil was always basically the epitome of Chaotic Good and it's finally showing in his videos again. He used to make stuff like this all the time way back when.

This!!!! I don’t blame people for not knowing Pre Dan-2010ish Phil content, especially since apparently some people joined after the coming out videos. But Dan is 100% NOT the only of the two with sarcastic/edgy humor. I don’t agree with the idea that Phil lost all of that when he geared his content towards a more family friendly audience. He just toned it way way down, like sugarcoated it so much that Dan’s “unfiltered” humor contrasted so much and thus, the labels of “wholesome angel” and “dark and sarcastic nihilist” were born. Even though they’ve had the same sense of humor the whole time.
In a way I never liked that contrast, and I feel like I can say it now because those stereotypes were very circa 2014-2015.
Phil can be edgy just as much as Dan can be wholesome. But I feel like around their peak it was unpopular to think that (even in dnp played into their stereotypes a lot I never thought of them as devil incarnate and harmless angel).
"Treat yourself, because you're special and you're worth it."
Grey
lady door

Neons wrote: Mon Dec 23, 2019 2:28 pm
Grey wrote: Mon Dec 23, 2019 1:29 pm Minor quibble: I thought he said in his liveshow as a hint that the video was going to be in front of his Christmas tree. Did I imagine that? Maybe. I’m too lazy to go back and check. It doesn’t matter but I was surprised by the filming location.
I had Phil's latest liveshow on in the background this morning while I was pottering around the flat and he said something about the "tree with tinsel" making an appearance in the new video, like you I took this originally to mean his xmas tree but now I'm wondering if he meant the large plant covered in tinsel that was to the right of him in the vid.
Ohhh that makes sense! Thanks!
I'm having a stress.
Phantasy
woodland creature

So, picking up on a line of thought from the last thread—is there consensus (or majority sentiment) that Dan essentially has his audience in time-out or—to put it another way—is he withholding content and updates as a sort of punitive response as a result of some of the community backlash he’s been receiving? (Radio silence is nothing new for Dan, but the complete lack of content or mention of the Star Wars premiere has me flummoxed.)

I wonder how much this all feeds on itself... the longer Dan goes with out updates/content (and only pops up to sell something) the crankier his audience gets and the more he retreats based on that perceived criticism/negativity?

I also wonder what is Dan’s main pulse for understanding the community... is it twitter, tumblr, YT comments, or this forum. I haven’t seen it mentioned in a while whether or not the IDB community thinks Dan keeps up with this forum, but I find it hard to imagine he’s not lurking here only because where else can you get a robust snapshot of community sentiment.