Dan & Phil Part 94: Year of the Rats

Our two favourite full time internet nerds who never go outside!
bluecaterpillar
pumpkin spice pumpkin cookie

i really enjoyed that, it's nice to get out of his tiny filming corner, and going to a sensory deprivation pod is something totally new which i wasn't expecting from him. i assumed he was using some kind of waterproof camera but nope, turns out he actually took his phone into a pod full of salty water, because of course. creasing at him trying to be quiet for ten seconds and then almost immediately going 'seven' :lol: and just his pod-inspired ramblings in general tbh.

i have to say that being unfamiliar with the concept and just judging by the name, i did not think going in a 'sensory deprivation tank' sounded pleasant. but he actually made it look very relaxing. the shape of the pod and all the blue light made it seem like he was inside an egg, waiting to hatch.
there’s not a star in heaven that we can’t reach
sonicgreen
woodland creature

Haven’t seen the video yet but I’m just laughing at the concept of instagram story “vlogging” from inside a sensory deprivation tank. the literal opposite of the point of such a thing :lol:
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie
Pronouns: she/her

I'm watching the video a second time and I just really love it. I really would be so into a whole 'try new things' series from Phil, just doing some of the weird shit London has to offer.

Some very random thoughts:

I'm impressed with Phil filming an entire video where he's naked. I wonder how many accidental dick shots he got.

I'm terrified by Phil recording on his phone in a tub of salt water in the dark. How did he not drop it more than once?

Pennywise shoutout. I love a good crossover.

His little noises and mumbling while he sleeps. I know this isn't a good comeback video, but Dan, if you just wanna chuck a lil 'five minutes of Phil Lester talking in his sleep' on dini we wouldn't hate it.

His little Mario Kart tangent sounded so sleepy. Not to be that demon again but I just imagine that's what he sounds like when he's half awake making Dan listen to whatever weird dream he's just had.

I'd like to try a float tank but I'd like even more just to get to chill in that relaxation room with some tea and a book. Also, Phil feeling like he's being annoying by talking too much because the signs say be quiet... even though he's the only one in the room. <3 Oh, Phil.

I wonder how long until Dan tries it too? I'm just gonna assume Phil immediately booked them both in for a future session. (Not... together. I'm just assuming they don't generally do that, despite Phil's 4-person assessment. He'd probably have to actually buy his own pod for that.)
hello9217
flower crown

Finally had time to watch it and I really loved that video. It made me feel really relaxed. He has such a quiet deep voice that so soothing and all his random thoughts made me laugh
Susanisnotafish
flower crown
Pronouns: She/her

Catallena wrote: Mon Feb 17, 2020 10:12 pm I expected a liveshow upload today (which I need because I missed the first half yesterday due to a poorly timed but desperately needed shower) but a video is much better!
Here’s this since Phil’s being slow with his upload.
"Rub those freckles all over me!" --Daniel Howell
kavat
pastel persona

What a fun video! I love the editing, his nonsense rambling and the vlogy bits that made me want to watch all of the ditls again.

And he really wanted us to know that he was naked, didn't he
Phantasy
woodland creature

I like how hopelessly amateur the video was... and I mean that in an endearing sense. I mean, he didn’t bring a tripod or a go pro or anything to prepare for a wet pitch black environment. Yet, he made it work and it resonated with his personality.

If he wanted to film a whole series of random/quirky things to do around London and review them I think that would be brilliant.
Neons
spork

Only had a chance to watch the video this morning, and I loved it so much! I think it's my favourite vid he's done since TTSTWMG.

Firstly it was great seeing Phil out and about in London at the start, his eyes looked lovely in the daylight.

I also really love the coffee jumper he was wearing. Have we seen him in that before? I don't remember it. I actually wouldn't mind that jumper for myself.

There was something quite intimate about this video to me, maybe it was a mixture of the nakedness and just listening to his stream of consciousness.

It was genuinely interesting to see the set-up and process of it, I'd heard of sensory deprivation tanks before but knew almost nothing about them. Phil was so funny throughout as well, he made me laugh even though I had a horrible migraine this morning. Bloody adore him.
noodlebum
flower crown

Here's Phil coffee jumper 8-)
CapriciousCrab
sad dimple

I've watched this video a few times now and not just because he looked pretty lol. It was such a calm video but still managed to showcase his chaotic weirdness that I love.

The beginning when he outside vlogging? More of that please! It was so nice to see him out and about.

Listening to his rambling stream of consciousness really makes me wish he would consider doing a podcast. That voice + Phil thoughts on weird things? Sounds like a win to me.

Also the way he said naked made me laugh. I love when he sings random words like that :lol:

Great video
poweroftriangles
pumpkin spice pumpkin cookie
Pronouns: he/him

I will NEVER get tired of hearing what goes on in that lad's mind. How does he make digging a hole with a spade funny?

Also hurray for rainbow coffee
anti-YouNow club :sarcasticclap:
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

Can I say how much I love that the rainbow coffee jump is from an actual bakery in Leeds and not just Topman? No offense to Topman. But the idea of Phil walking into a bakery/coffee shop and leaving with merch because a) coffee and b) kinda gay just delights me.

Browsing their merch page makes me wonder if Dan was there/got anything as well.
madzilla84
eclipse shirt

I can imagine the bakery staff checking their orders this morning like wtf?? :lol: Their donuts look amazing, and they’re all vegan. I wonder if they visited, or if the shirt was a gift?
blackbirddan.tumblr.com
Megancita75
ar·tic·u·late

Does anyone think Phil will release new merch in advance of Vidcon London? It makes sense to me that he would, but I don't know what the normal pattern of merch release is for IRL/Phil. I like Phil merch so would be happy to see some.
flarequake
not an airport stalker

I loved the video, had a good laugh as soon as I saw the title and thumbnail. I’m intrigued to try it myself. Couldn’t believe he showed us his pants on the floor, but it was fun to hear how quickly he felt relaxed. Amazing he kept falling asleep and yet didn’t drown. I wonder if they get much falling asleep, seems risky. He’s said before he falls asleep in the bath, though. When he dried his hair, the spikiness reminded me immediately of his 19-year-old self. I love the jumper and how the bright colours and coffee in all caps clashes with being somewhere for relaxation.

Also just loaded up YouTube and Niki Albon has posted this

Susanisnotafish
flower crown

I think it’s kind of strange that Dan is running a marathon and Connor’s doing a half marathon. I hope Connor’s video doesn’t give Dan a quality threshold Issue.
kavat
pastel persona

Susanisnotafish wrote: Wed Feb 19, 2020 3:59 am I think it’s kind of strange that Dan is running a marathon and Connor’s doing a half marathon. I hope Connor’s video doesn’t give Dan a quality threshold Issue.
As Connor says in the video, he has been running his whole life. He did track in school and has run marathons and other runs before. He's made videos about it before.

Dan has also mentioned how his family would go out running on Christmas day and his brother is also very sporty. So to me it's more of a cool coincidence than strange (maybe that's what you ment, idk).
Susanisnotafish
flower crown

kavat wrote: Wed Feb 19, 2020 6:06 am
Susanisnotafish wrote: Wed Feb 19, 2020 3:59 am I think it’s kind of strange that Dan is running a marathon and Connor’s doing a half marathon. I hope Connor’s video doesn’t give Dan a quality threshold Issue.
As Connor says in the video, he has been running his whole life. He did track in school and has run marathons and other runs before. He's made videos about it before.

Dan has also mentioned how his family would go out running on Christmas day and his brother is also very sporty. So to me it's more of a cool coincidence than strange (maybe that's what you ment, idk).
I didn’t realize Dan’s family were runners (other than Adrian). I meant that I would have expected Connor to be the one running a marathon with all his running experience and Dan to be doing a shorter distance instead of vice versa. Maybe Dan has done some smaller races we aren’t aware of. I wish he would communicate about his training/plans.
George
sad dimple

Susanisnotafish wrote: Wed Feb 19, 2020 9:27 am I meant that I would have expected Connor to be the one running a marathon with all his running experience and Dan to be doing a shorter distance instead of vice versa. Maybe Dan has done some smaller races we aren’t aware of. I wish he would communicate about his training/plans.
I don't know anyone, who hasn't run a half-maraton before running a maraton, so I hope Dan knows what he's doing. Maybe he has/will run it as a part of his training. With Adrian as a brother, he better realize he can't just show up and run without any proper training. (Because it kinda sounded like that when he told the story about his maraton failure last year. :shrug: )
You should never go to sleep on an argument.
liola
rankussy

I know nothing of marathons (if i'm ever running voluntarily, something is wrong) but I was under the assumption that Dan was participating in the marathon because of charity? Or with some kind of charity? I thought someone said that's how he got a spot? (it baffles me that spots could even go out?!)

I don't know, I'm assuming after last year if he decided to go with it he must be prepared enough or at least he doesn't care about it but just wants to participate. Do you even win marathons? I'm assuming you can just stop after a while with no consequences? Like I really doubt Dan is going at it because he wants to be first at the finish line so why does it matter? What's a half marathon also aren't all marathons marathons why is this so confusing to me
Will probably never be over the BONCAS and the beauty of Phil Lester.

Official Moving Hill Mayor
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

I couldn't remember exactly what Dan said about training so I went back and rewatched the night of awesome from last year - apologies for typos bc I transcribed this as I was listening and didn't go through a second time.
Dan Howell wrote:"So why the hell did I decide to do this, right? Well I thought that he running a marathon would actually be a great idea for several reasons. Firstly, if I train to run a marathon then I'll just naturally become really fit and healthy. All these years of trying to eat right and exercise for no reason - no, if I do this, it'll just happen automatically. Genius, right?

And you know - good physical health, it helps your mental health. And if I had abs I'd probably be naked on instagram all day, so there's lots of angles to this, right?

Also, importantly, the whole point of the London marathon is that it's an opportunity to raise money and awareness for a charity. And that's a really good thing to do, right? Especially someone with my platform, because not only does it help make the world a better place but it would make me look really good - which is also really important and I'll enjoy that feeling because I have no time for altruism or no need for it, okay? Enjoy being a good person.

As well as that, I figured it would just be quite a good story. Because you know me, a young British guy that has publicly struggled with mental health overcoming all of it in this epic test of physical and mental endurance to say hey! No! Depression, anxiety, paranoia, various food addictions, gay trauma, etc - I stomp on you with my chunky running shoes!. Conquering all the issues of my life - it'd be a really good story, wouldn't it?

Well, I bet you all know where this is going. This is a past tense story I'm telling right now.

Don't get me wrong - I trained for this marathon. In those wet, cold winter months I was out there. Jogging. In shorts. A few times. And it was very difficult because I literally couldn't run a hundred meters without being on the verge of death. But I signed up to it, which is very formal intimidating process, and I told people. Because personally, nothing motivates me like guilt and shame. It's the fear of disappointing people, that's what really gets me up in the morning.

So I told my family and I told my friends and they were like - wow, you gon' die. This is terrible- I mean, you go Dan, you got this. This is amazing! I felt so much love and encouragement from the people around me, but still I didn't feel confident enough to tell all of you people on the internet because... the stakes were so high. And if I failed, you know if I just fell over halfway through, that would have been humiliating and that's a shame because I'm sure your support could have made all the difference to me.

But I gave it my best training for this race and I guess the moral of this story is... sometimes your best actually isn't good enough. "
After reading this I'm concluding that he legitimately did train for it. Perhaps not enough, but I feel like his second admission of saying he did his best is a little more legitimate than the one where he turns it into a joke. Sort of like how 'we did yoga once' is the joke version and the reality is 'we do yoga on a regular enough basis to have an instructor that comes to our flat and both own yoga gear and workout clothes.'
blueapple_x
flower crown

Susanisnotafish wrote: Wed Feb 19, 2020 9:27 am
kavat wrote: Wed Feb 19, 2020 6:06 am

I didn’t realize Dan’s family were runners (other than Adrian). I meant that I would have expected Connor to be the one running a marathon with all his running experience and Dan to be doing a shorter distance instead of vice versa. Maybe Dan has done some smaller races we aren’t aware of. I wish he would communicate about his training/plans.
I vaguely remember Dan saying in a liveshow that his family would take walks during Christmas (with Colin!) but I don't remember him ever saying they would go running on Christmas.
rizzo
unduly facetious
unduly facetious

I'm training for a half marathon this year and I'll tell ya that unless you're a very committed runner (and/or Olympian), you're not really running a marathon for any sort of competition. It's for the accomplishment first and foremost and often to beat your own personal record on that day. Not so much to ever compete against others - that's why the charity bit is such a major part of it, 'cause people do it for themselves and the charity and not to race anyone else.

Now, this is entirely from my POV, but.... unless you're an influencer pulling a stunt (which.. Dan's a YouTuber, but I don't think he's an idiot), you tend to start small for these things. Ideally, you're running a marathon having previously completed a 5k, a 10k, and maybe even a half-marathon (21k). So, I find myself wondering if these are races Dan is taking part in right now and in the next few months.

Theoretically, it doesn't have to be "official" - I could fully just see Dan doing these on his own so as to avoid having his name signed up to any more major races - but... it really needs to be done. Your body has to get used to these lengths and the required endurance before you run that full marathon. And if he's seriously training (which based on alittledizzy's post and also just... "knowing" Dan), I assume he's doing that.

Anyway, idk what the point of my post is besides to say.... someone pls find out if Dan is running other races lolllll 8-)
madzilla84
eclipse shirt

My probably-stupidly-overoptimistic hope is that he’s making some sort of Content out of the lead up to the marathon this time, which is why he’s so quiet and not sharing anything. ...Why yes, this clown suit *is* very comfortable!

(Or of course it could be because, like last time, he wants to be sure he’s going ahead with it before he goes fully public; admittedly we already know he’s registered. But assuming he wants to fundraise from people beyond his immediate friends and family, he’ll have to say *something* beforehand.)
blackbirddan.tumblr.com
noodlebum
flower crown

Yes a training montage to raise awareness for fundraising would be a great idea, and I think the charity would do really well out of it.