Dan & Phil Part 94: Year of the Rats

Our two favourite full time internet nerds who never go outside!
blahblahblah8
pumpkin spice pumpkin cookie

Gtpwtw is one of my fav dnp videos! I don’t even know how many times I watched it, for a while after it was uploaded it was my go to rewatch for when I was stressed! Idk what my fav part is bec I really enjoyed all of them! I think if I had to choose it would be when they visited their old apartment in Manchester!
flarequake
not an airport stalker
Pronouns: She/her

Dan in Phil’s clothes, especially the ladybird jumper, is the cutest and my favourite thing. Phil suits Dan’s clothes that fit him like the grid jumper and crotch-slapper jeans, but not oversized things that swamp him or just hang from his sharper shoulders. Dan is so damn cute in colourful clothes. His dramatics over the yoga too ‘Pause that shit! Yoga challenge, bitch’. Dan, honey, that was a bunny-hop. Also his headband and pyjamas. Not colourful, but still cute.
Megancita75
ar·tic·u·late
Pronouns: she/her

Someone upthread mentioned Tiger King, and I just wanted to pop in to say that I appreciated Phil in a recent live show giving a bit more of an opinion on how problematic it was. I know it's a popular show, and I watched it all and enjoyed some aspects of it, but in general was mostly appalled by it, both because of it's depictions of a messed-up wild animal industry but also because I felt the filmmaker's choices were pretty ethically poor in terms of how they structured the narrative and the side circus tone they chose to play up throughout the series.

I would be interested to know if Phil (and Dan, if he watched) had any criticisms of how the show seemed to use Joe's gayness as a bid to elicit sympathy for a very very flawed person -- I'm probably not explaining it well, but there was something about they used that detail about Joe's personal life to somehow try and get you to like him more and that just felt all kinds of strange and manipulative to me and like they almost using gayness as a selling point in some way to balance the scales of all the questionable life decisions Joe had made. Like, "feel sorry for this dude, he's gay!" I did feel sorry for Joe for lot's of reasons, but him being gay in rural America was not one of them.

Then there's also the other storyline of Joe's husbands, some of whom it seems might have been situationally gay or sexually fluid while not identifying as gay or trading gay sex for their own purposes (like in exchange for drugs or financial support) or maybe even brainwashed/abused (the series never really clarifies or answers these questions) and I would love to know what DnP (or any of you who watched it) thought about that as well.

I would be surprised if Phil says anything else about it -- it just was such a complicated show and in general seems like a can-of-worms topic.
knq
lava lamp

On the topic of people commenting about Dan on Phil's videos (a topic which has almost certainly passed in the time I wrote this post because I am incapable of being on topic) I bring you the following summary:

Among the 1,000 most recent comments on Phil's video "Making whipped tiktok Coffee - Easter Edition" 154 or 15% mention Dan by name.

Content analysis of these 154 comments reveal the following common themes:
  • 37% ask where Dan is or if he is okay
  • 22% express sadness, missing Dan, or the feeling that things are "not the same" without him
  • 18% imagine Dan's reaction to Phil's current video or generally include Dan when addressing Phil
  • 10% make a request which includes Dan. Requests for Dan cutting Phil's hair are common.
  • 7% comment upon Dan's absence or comment upon other commenters commenting upon Dan's absence
  • 6% claim to hear or see Dan in the current video
The remaining 846 comments do not mention Dan by name. More general themes among these comments include:
  • Quoting Phil
  • Coffee and the correct way to make it
  • Enjoyment of the video
  • The color green
  • Phil's hair
  • Phil's teeth
  • Phil swearing in German
  • Phil's chaotic nature
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

knq wrote: Wed Apr 15, 2020 11:58 pm On the topic of people commenting about Dan on Phil's videos (a topic which has almost certainly passed in the time I wrote this post because I am incapable of being on topic) I bring you the following summary:

Among the 1,000 most recent comments on Phil's video "Making whipped tiktok Coffee - Easter Edition" 154 or 15% mention Dan by name.

• 22% express sadness, missing Dan, or the feeling that things are "not the same" without him
  • 18% imagine Dan's reaction to Phil's current video or generally include Dan when addressing Phil
  • 10% make a request which includes Dan. Requests for Dan cutting Phil's hair are common.
  • 7% comment upon Dan's absence or comment upon other commenters commenting upon Dan's absence
The remaining 846 comments do not mention Dan by name. More general themes among these comments include:
  • Quoting Phil
  • Enjoyment of the video
  • The color green
  • Phil's hair
  • Phil's teeth
  • Phil's chaotic nature
Ooh, this is amazing. That number is so much lower than I expected! Especially considering some of the ones mentioning Dan are what I'd consider pretty neutral - imagining his reaction, the requests for a hair cutting video, etc.
Templeofshame
rainbow nerd

Not to pass on info an anon sent me as if I know anything about it, but I did fact-check; the real estate company Dan followed is owned by a husband from The Real Housewives of Beverly Hills, and Dan has also followed cast members from it (on Instagram and Twitter).

So, it seems to me that it's likely related to reality TV consumption (and unlikely that they're moving to LA or even into a $42 million London property).
liola
rankussy

knq wrote: Wed Apr 15, 2020 11:58 pm On the topic of people commenting about Dan on Phil's videos (a topic which has almost certainly passed in the time I wrote this post because I am incapable of being on topic) I bring you the following summary:

• Quoting Phil
  • Enjoyment of the video
  • The color green
  • Phil's hair
  • Phil's teeth
  • Phil's chaotic nature
Number-crunching analysis like this make my heart sing, thank you for that :loveeyes: sidenote for a second I thought you meant the video had 1000 comments and I was like okay wow that's low but then I checked and the numbers are more normal lmao and then realized you meant the most recent ones.

On other news: I do not really believe Dan would want to buy a house in LA, especially not by himself. Phil has always seemed the one more inclined to love the "american dream" with his family's annual trips to Florida (at that point I would be more likely to believe them buying a family villa in Florida just to make it easier for trips). I didn't check it out properly but maybe they also offer rentals? That would make more sense if anything involving his project actually means being in LA for a bit.
Catallena wrote: Wed Apr 15, 2020 9:47 pm
I can't even choose a favorite part. Like I just went to rewatch it again and I went into it with ~ oh I love the couple yoga part the most ~ and then I got attacked by literally everything else? The yoga definitely is amazing, because I'm not gonna get Phil being that quotably gay and Dan putting his head between Phil's legs anywhere else except on Ao3. Plus it's also just really funny seeing two stiff giraffe men doing yoga. But them trying on each others clothes and looking damn good doing it while showering each other in compliments? The bittersweet nostalgia of the Manchester visit?? Them playing with the dog??? PHIL SAYING FUCK??????? :loveeyes:

Yeah uh. I love this video. A lot. What's y'all's favorite part? Do you remember your first reaction when it dropped? Have your feelings on it changed at all since then?

My first reaction was 100% oh boy oh boy. I remember Dan asking "what would you want us to do" and I remember feeling curious and scared, for them and also us. The video itself is still overwhelming, but it's one I rewatch constantly, just because the energy in it is something else. They're chaotic, they're sassy and dramatic and having fun and I can't help but smile watching it. My favourite part is predictably the whole bit of Phil saying Fuck. Firstly because :happytears: :happytears: :happytears: :loveeyes: but also because I just love their interactions, Dan saying that Phil does swear to him randomly which is well known but I can imagine shocked some, the whole peer pressure thing and Phil being genuinely trying NOT to, it has such couply domestic energy to me and then it's just hot. Say fuck more Phil please :loveeyes:

And that pic of Dan is still cute and cheeky, I love that outfit so much, I miss him wearing it. I remember when ripped jeans were such a novelty and not what he wears all the time. Impossible that it's only been 3 years sorry but time is fake
Will probably never be over the BONCAS and the beauty of Phil Lester.

Official Moving Hill Mayor
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

I think the Real Housewives connection is most likely it - he was doing some social media spiraling looking up the accounts of people on it and landed on that and thought, oh - pretty views.

GTPWTW... ugh I adore that video so much. I said it recently and I maintain that if I could have the full footage of any video, it'd be that one.
Catallena
classy cat lady
classy cat lady

I'm rooting for a DIY haircut video. Can't get worse than the last 2 years of the emo hair were :shrug:
Twitter *•.(★).•* Tumblr
liola
rankussy

Catallena wrote: Thu Apr 16, 2020 8:34 pm I'm rooting for a DIY haircut video. Can't get worse than the last 2 years of the emo hair were :shrug:
Now, why would you do the fringe dirty like that? She was good to us a lot of times, she was problematic sure, she had some questionable moments, but she was also so good. I will always remember her fondly. Do I prefer her more mature sister, Miss Quiff? Yeah but that doesn't mean I can hate on Miss Fringe, she did nothing wrong!

Also hoping for a diy haircut video, he's mentioned his hair a lot.. he did dye it on camera once, come on Phil, try new things!!

in other news if anyone is eager for some distraction I've started a gaming YouTubers thread in the off-topic section <3

Catallena
classy cat lady
classy cat lady

liola wrote: Thu Apr 16, 2020 9:23 pm
Catallena wrote: Thu Apr 16, 2020 8:34 pm I'm rooting for a DIY haircut video. Can't get worse than the last 2 years of the emo hair were :shrug:
Now, why would you do the fringe dirty like that? She was good to us a lot of times, she was problematic sure, she had some questionable moments, but she was also so good. I will always remember her fondly. Do I prefer her more mature sister, Miss Quiff? Yeah but that doesn't mean I can hate on Miss Fringe, she did nothing wrong!

Also hoping for a diy haircut video, he's mentioned his hair a lot.. he did dye it on camera once, come on Phil, try new things!!

in other news if anyone is eager for some distraction I've started a gaming YouTubers thread in the off-topic section <3
I'm sympathetic towards Miss Fringe, she had a tough job to do. But her problematic era lasted too damn long and she overstayed her welcome. I'll always remember her in all her thicc 2012 glory though.
Twitter *•.(★).•* Tumblr
Birdie
blobfish
Pronouns: they/them

Just dropping by to say thanks for all the lgbtq film recs. I've seen some of them but a lot of those titles were completely new to me, so... thanks! Sadly Netflix's lgbtq category is basically empty where I currently live, it was so much better in the UK.

Since it's somewhat on topic: Does anyone have some good lgbtq book recs that aren't written for teens? I'm having a hard time finding those.
glitterintheair
phillluminati

Katka wrote: Fri Apr 17, 2020 7:00 pm Just dropping by to say thanks for all the lgbtq film recs. I've seen some of them but a lot of those titles were completely new to me, so... thanks! Sadly Netflix's lgbtq category is basically empty where I currently live, it was so much better in the UK.

Since it's somewhat on topic: Does anyone have some good lgbtq book recs that aren't written for teens? I'm having a hard time finding those.
Red, white & loyal blue! An enemies to lovers romance between the Prince of Wales and the Son of the Female Candidate for the USA Presidency - absolutely incredible.
I'm a winter flower underground, always thirsty for summer rain.
knq
lava lamp

glitterintheair wrote: Fri Apr 17, 2020 7:47 pm
Katka wrote: Fri Apr 17, 2020 7:00 pm Just dropping by to say thanks for all the lgbtq film recs. I've seen some of them but a lot of those titles were completely new to me, so... thanks! Sadly Netflix's lgbtq category is basically empty where I currently live, it was so much better in the UK.

Red, white & loyal blue! An enemies to lovers romance between the Prince of Wales and the Son of the Female Candidate for the USA Presidency - absolutely incredible.
Ooh yes, more book recs please!

I’ll contribute Captive Prince which is a triology. Started out as original fiction on livejournal before publication. I remember it as loving, dark and hopeful, but definitely have a poke around at the trigger warnings, most of them likely apply. Beautiful it you can stand it, though.

The Adrien English Mysteries series I also remember being really good, though it’s been a long time since I read it. I think I like snappy dialogue and a slow burn romance more than plot tbh.

In general, if there’s a particular style of writing you like, the Goodreads quote section is great, because you get to see a kind of ‘best of’ that gives you a sense for the authors writing.

Apologies for not making this more dnp relevant. I’d certainly read a book about their romance? Well, I guess I do, because fanfiction.
Phanshy
cheeky #spon

If you're open to romance a few of my auto buys are Keira Andrews who has a lot of different genres of romance from historical, sports, fantasy, Amish and contemporary, KJ Charles who's great for historical romance, JL Langley who mainly does shifter and Sci-fi recency books. If your open to shifter and mild BDSM Duck by Kim Dare is a great read it's funny and really touching and explores how people treat you based on your status rather than who you are as a person.
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

malday, this is AMAZING!! I'm so happy that Phil liked it, too, but omg you're so talented.
Phanshy
cheeky #spon

I'd also like to recommend a documentary about the history of gay cinema called The Celluloid Closet and a book along similar lines Out at the Movies: A History of Gay Cinema. They both explore the importance of LGBTQ+ representation and how we had to learn to read between the lines to see ourselves in anyway that wasn't a predator, a tragic mistake of nature to be pitied or the butt of a joke. It shows how far we've come and how far we have to go in terms of representation in the media.
Susanisnotafish
flower crown

Sorry I can’t seem to code this correctly.
Last edited by lefthandedism on Sat Apr 18, 2020 10:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: fixed twitter embed
"Rub those freckles all over me!" --Daniel Howell
kavat
pastel persona

Susanisnotafish wrote: Sat Apr 18, 2020 4:31 am Sorry I can’t seem to code this correctly.
No. I don't like that at all. That's very weird to me.
liola
rankussy

As someone who always wanted a different colour of eyes than Brown, I don't like that edit because Dan's eyes are such a lovely color of brown, they're very warm and the cut is perfect for the color. It wouldn't be the same

Susanisnotafish
flower crown

I want to make a recommendation of a couple YouTubers that I started watching recently and that have some similarities to deppy. They are brothers, so no shipping, but one of them has been in a relationship for 7 years, so something to admire and respect like deppy. He pretty much keeps his boyfriend off camera, but sometimes refers to him. The other brother is 19, so some early deppy vibes. These guys have even done a video playing Monopoly (like many of us have said we wished deppy would play board games), and they even have a podcast. Another plus is that these guys both upload very frequently (more than once a week). They are more natural and unscripted than deppy, which I like. They’re really sarcastic, but very sweet and give good advice to their podcast listeners. Jacob has a very Phil vibe with his “no filter” comments and unique thoughts. The podcast is also on YouTube. It’s called Bros Before Hos, but on YouTube it’s on a channel called the Lucas and Jacob Podcast. So if you want to check them out they’re channels are Lucas and Jacob Cruikshank.
"Rub those freckles all over me!" --Daniel Howell
firsttimeposter
living flop

Susanisnotafish wrote: Sat Apr 18, 2020 7:49 pm I want to make a recommendation of a couple YouTubers that I started watching recently and that have some similarities to deppy. They are brothers, so no shipping, but one of them has been in a relationship for 7 years, so something to admire and respect like deppy. He pretty much keeps his boyfriend off camera, but sometimes refers to him. The other brother is 19, so some early deppy vibes. These guys have even done a video playing Monopoly (like many of us have said we wished deppy would play board games), and they even have a podcast. Another plus is that these guys both upload very frequently (more than once a week). They are more natural and unscripted than deppy, which I like. They’re really sarcastic, but very sweet and give good advice to their podcast listeners. Jacob has a very Phil vibe with his “no filter” comments and unique thoughts. The podcast is also on YouTube. It’s called Bros Before Hos, but on YouTube it’s on a channel called the Lucas and Jacob Podcast. So if you want to check them out they’re channels are Lucas and Jacob Cruikshank.
I had no idea Fred had a boyfriend, in all his videos he doesn’t seem like the type lmao. He’s giving off a ‘single’ energy imo. They’re great though, I recommend them too:)
Phanshy
cheeky #spon

I'll recommend one of my favourite YouTube couples Nova (Aaron) and Olympia (River) from the channel Novympia they're drag queens based in Bournemouth, they have a ton of different kinds of content,
celebrity parody/Retro gaming/Drag tutorials /Vlogs/Challenges/Drag race reviews and podcast.
They recently supported The Vivienne (Drag race uk winner) on tour.
I sometimes wonder if they know Dan and Phil, because they know " Oh that guy" Adam and he's been on the channel a few times as himself and as his drag persona Autumn. They've also had Polly Tickle (Jazza John) on the channel.
liola
rankussy

I can only recommend gamers sadly (reason why I made a thread on it) but I'm going to check out all of these recs!

On a slightly deraling topic, I'm trying to come up with a broader response:do you prefer brown or black quiff Phil?

I made a poll on Twitter but I just wanna know everyone's opinions: last night I had a dream he dyed it black again cause he was tired of the brown, and also cut it while on lockdown, so that sparked my question.

I like all Phil but I gotta say I'm partial to the black, like Dan once put it, the black raven hair and snow white skin combo is quite striking (especially with those eyes!!)

Phanshy
cheeky #spon

liola wrote: Sat Apr 18, 2020 9:41 pm
On a slightly deraling topic, I'm trying to come up with a broader response:do you prefer brown or black quiff Phil?

I made a poll on Twitter but I just wanna know everyone's opinions: last night I had a dream he dyed it black again cause he was tired of the brown, and also cut it while on lockdown, so that sparked my question.

I like all Phil but I gotta say I'm partial to the black, like Dan once put it, the black raven hair and snow white skin combo is quite striking (especially with those eyes!!)
I'm not on Twitter but black all day long, I don't dislike the brown but I still think of Phil as having black hair, if I were asked to describe him I'd say black hair.