Dan & Phil Part 94: Year of the Rats

Our two favourite full time internet nerds who never go outside!
Susanisnotafish
flower crown
Pronouns: She/her

You’re kidding me! Top of the page with my screw up! I’ll just link Phil’s last liveshow here so not a total waste.

"Rub those freckles all over me!" --Daniel Howell
Templeofshame
rainbow nerd
Pronouns: she/her

kavat wrote: Sun Mar 29, 2020 11:02 am Oh now that's interesting. I have no idea what Motion Picture Literary means but I'm intrigued.
It doesn't seem to be relevant to Dan; Chris Sawtelle was hired in Motion Picture Literary in 2018, but is currently in Digital Ventures & Talent, which is where Dan falls.

Maybe Dan is a more recent addition, though, because he shared Eugene's coming out vid on his LinkedIn and not Dan's.
Amiaw
interactive introvert

TalentX seems to be a management company for youtubers and digital creators. I’m curious now why dan didnt just stay with Above the Fray
Templeofshame
rainbow nerd

Amiaw wrote: Sun Mar 29, 2020 1:43 pm TalentX seems to be a management company for youtubers and digital creators. I’m curious now why dan didnt just stay with Above the Fray
Do we have reason to believe Dan left ATF? He's still on their website and we know Fleur was in LA during his most recent trip. I don't fully understand these things, but it doesn't seem like representation with ICM in LA would be able to do a lot of what ATF seems to do for him in London, while it would open a lot of opportunities that ATF wouldn't have access to. So it seems logical to me that he would continue with his management while also having representation in LA. (I also feel like a manager is different than an agent/representation but I am not sure I could articulate that distinction.)

(Also potentially worth noting that the article says that Dan's agent is taking lead on representing TalentX's talent for ICM, but it does not indicate that his existing talent e.g. Dan are being grouped into TalentX. I think this actually supports my argument because for the 32 clients of TalentX, TalentX is managing them and ICM is representing them.)

Speaking of that recent trip to LA, I wonder if Dan was meeting with agents and that's roughly when this happened. That makes sense to me.
liola
rankussy

Managers and Agents are two different things, a manager usually should "manage" your career, help you to build it, it's someone that stays with you in a deeper mean.

An agent however, just like with other businesses, is someone based in specific countries/cities that knows the industry of that particular environment, has links and knowledge of multiple personalities and can help a talent get in touch with specific opportunities much easier, especially for someone like Dan who isn't based that.

There are a lot of actors who have agents in LA and London for example, because the creative industry behaves differently.

(Some people only have a manager or an agent for these things but it's much more common to have both)

Not surprised by this, did someone think Dan managed to get himself an appointment for whatever something he had in LA just because of his good looks? Or ATF? He might be known as a youtuber but only if you actually know YouTube for longer than a couple of years, even though his coming out have helped. Having ATF reach out to a LA rep makes sense
Will probably never be over the BONCAS and the beauty of Phil Lester.

Official Moving Hill Mayor
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

Cactus club community chums -

Hope you're all doing well! It's been a pretty weird week in lockdown but I think I'm getting used to what is going to be normal for a while. Animal Crossing has definitely helped. I just caught a Tuna so my day is already going well.

In my live show tonight (8PM BST! UK clocks just went forwards so double check your timings if you aren't in the UK) I wanted to talk about anything positive or funny that has come out of your time in social isolation so far! Have you learned something new about a family member? Taught yourself a new skill? Let me know and I'll put some of you on the screen.

Also there was some fierce debate about fries over on my twitter last night so I was wondering which of these you think is the king of all potato based snacks? Let me know for my own scientific research in the poll below! I'm judging these on if they came with a dip of your choice too.

See you soon (and also if you can't make the live show I will have a new video very soon too!)

PHILIP
AmazingPhil
poweroftriangles
pumpkin spice pumpkin cookie
Pronouns: he/him

I like the tone of his post a lot, especially the first paragraph. He's being honest about it not being easy times, but his intention is to spread cheer and he will do exactly that. Very grateful for Phil these days and can't wait for the (recording of the) liveshow and the new video!
:xoxo:
anti-YouNow club :sarcasticclap:
plinthofmylife
janice from the shop

If anyone needs a cheer up, this feels more like a dan and phil baking video than almost anything else I've seen on youtube. New video with Lance + Tom.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GdqGGK79hyE
Phanshy
cheeky #spon

I hope Phil uploads the live show tomorrow, for the second week running YouNow refuses to work for me.
Oh YouNow let me count the ways I hate thee.
lefthandedism
simply stressed bisexual
simply stressed bisexual

"If you're left-handed, ask a friend."
"Why am I left-handed?"
"Everybody makes mistakes."
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

The most interesting thing about the liveshow to me is Phil saying that his hair is currently dyed and that he may go back to black. He described himself as being spontaneous with dyeing his hair - idk why but that totally threw me.
moonanonymous
smol bean

damn y'all who pressed the button??
LAshleigh
cheeky #spon

I loved the new animal crossing video so much! I laughed out loud so many times, and it might have given me the happiness boost I needed to finish out the day productively. As someone who has never played animal crossing, I love watching him explore the world and give random one-liners, and I hope he does this type of video yet again if we're all stuck inside much longer.

(Also hi, lurker since fall 2018 here who finally made an account due to quarantine loneliness)
blahblahblah8

Wasn’t expecting Phil to post a video today! I missed the live show bec of work so it was really nice to come home to a video! Love that he’s trying to give a happy escape for people!
CapriciousCrab
sad dimple

Ok, Phil vocalizing the keysmash and the face he made with it nearly sent me to the floor. :lol:
The video was funny and lighthearted and just what I needed today.
dancy
procrastinator

Seems like we're not the only ones being ignored by Dan :lol:
emoji_pajamas
tol bean

Phil's new video was hilarious! I really enjoyed him running around and occasionally giving ominous threats to his neighbors, hahahaha. I wasn't expecting him to mention interactions from his last video like him reading the comments about the pears (lol) or sharing the fanart! it was all together very wholesome in this lockdown we're all in

I've sort of grown tired of waiting for Dan to put out contact or just independently communicate with his fans that he is, indeed, alive, but the fact that he isn't really in contact with people in his life like Louise does worry me a little. As someone who's been in a boxing match with my mental health for the last decade, I pulled away from my interests and my hobbies and the people in my life so many times that whenever I would hit rock bottom and recover it was like starting from scratch. At the same time it still does make me the slightest bit angry if he is, in fact, not attempting to reach out. I know we all take pride in being introverts and homebodies, especially in this fandom, but when you have depression, when you have anxiety, you have to force yourself to get up and talk to people as much as you have to force yourself to get up and feed your cat or get something to eat or clean your teeth. Sometimes you can't and that's okay, but it's the trying that matters. I know not all experiences are universal and I don't know if I'm being too harsh on him but :/
Templeofshame
rainbow nerd

emoji_pajamas wrote: Mon Mar 30, 2020 1:28 am I've sort of grown tired of waiting for Dan to put out contact or just independently communicate with his fans that he is, indeed, alive, but the fact that he isn't really in contact with people in his life like Louise does worry me a little. As someone who's been in a boxing match with my mental health for the last decade, I pulled away from my interests and my hobbies and the people in my life so many times that whenever I would hit rock bottom and recover it was like starting from scratch. At the same time it still does make me the slightest bit angry if he is, in fact, not attempting to reach out. I know we all take pride in being introverts and homebodies, especially in this fandom, but when you have depression, when you have anxiety, you have to force yourself to get up and talk to people as much as you have to force yourself to get up and feed your cat or get something to eat or clean your teeth. Sometimes you can't and that's okay, but it's the trying that matters. I know not all experiences are universal and I don't know if I'm being too harsh on him but :/
I think there are some pretty dramatic differences of opinion in this fandom about how close D&P are to Louise, but it seemed totally on-brand to me that Phil would be the one to politely respond to YouTubers in their vague "circle" while Dan's social energy might be saved for people who are more genuine personal friends.
obsessivelymoody
emo goose

Phil's video was so fun and nice. Totally made me laugh (also stress a little about how messy his island is!! but that's me being intense about games and, much like dan, needing to scrape every wall) and took my mind off things for a bit. Just what I needed :')
flarequake
not an airport stalker

Dan said in an old video about not being good at replying to people. When I’ve felt low, or even when I haven’t, I haven’t been interested in talking to people. Years ago I did, then once a lot got partnered up and left, I wasn’t so up for it. When I was depressed I didn’t and I’ve never been able to force much at all.

Loved Phil’s video. I was just wondering how his island was doing when he mentioned in the liveshow and then he announced the video. I’d forgotten he’d called it Pickle. All in all, a good evening with Phil.
ririair
tol bean

Longtime lurker here, fell into a Dan and Phil quarantine rabbit hole after having been completely distant for quite a while. Spent a few hours now reading through this whole thread since February, and WOW such a change in information and tone on both DnP even in just a month! Lots of thoughts on the lack of Dan - but I'll wait on expressing those until a time when it's more relevant to the forum, I think.

Glad to be even the slightest bit caught up due to the incredible and eternally consistent IDB <3

Re: Phil's second ACNH video - I've been so excited by his recent content! The upload was such a sweet surprise and honestly made my whole day after a few too many tiresome family interactions while forced home from college. Love being able to have his calming and fun company during this crazy time!
poweroftriangles

Ah sweet video. So many quotable quotes for the hall of fame. "I'm literally going to have a child right now" -- what?? Is this like when people say their ovaries are exploding?
Who even is captioning Phil's videos? I hope he's not paying them to do it because they're doing a poor job. Clearly they don't watch his videos because they get slightly specific DnP things like "furries" and "Gamingmas" wrong, but also they get normal things wrong. They also don't properly distinguish between whether he's speaking or reading someone's dialogues, for example.

I get the difficulty with opening it up to community subtitles, because people put all sorts of random comments in there which can be distracting. I wonder if there are regular viewers of his who offer captioning services, because that would be very valuable. Most of us might be comfortable with English, but I know there are viewers who aren't (or are deaf/hard-of-hearing) and who would benefit from this.
flarequake
not an airport stalker

If there aren’t community members doing captions, it’s probably just auto-captions. There are cheap af services these days undercutting my mum’s field, he should really be using one.
hello9217
flower crown

When it first goes up I believe that the video is auto captioned but then community members can caption the videos and phil has to approve it. Theres someone on twitter who captions phil’s videos in Russian so this is what I’m basing it on.
poweroftriangles

I'm pretty sure it's not community subtitles for English. The main reason I say so is that the English subtitles are "locked" (if you try to edit them). Also, I vaguely remember Phil saying he was getting his videos professionally captioned sometime last year.