Dan & Phil Part 94: Year of the Rats

Our two favourite full time internet nerds who never go outside!
madzilla84
eclipse shirt
Pronouns: she/her

Heading off to London for Vidcon soon (as in about 30 mins), very excited! Hoping to meet some of you guys there over the weekend too; I'm blackbirddan on the various socials if you're about. :)

But I also wanted to get peoples' opinion on something Vidcon related - namely Vidcon Mexico. The other day I was reading through a very heated discussion on Twitter, the gist of which was basically that Mexican phannies felt that fans from elsewhere in the world should not apply for the meet and greet lottery, as Dan and Phil have never visited Mexico before and it wouldn't be right to potentially take a slot from a Mexican fan. I think this particular discussion had kicked off because a fan who lived in LA (home of main VidCon) and had met D&P before had posted about going to VC Mexico, which had gotten a lot of folks steamed. There was even some mention of giving any white fans at the M&G grief if they saw them there.

I was curious as to what people thought? I was planning on trying for the M&G myself, as Vidcon LA is several times more expensive for me to get to than Mexico would be (and of course we don't even know if they're both going to LA this year, or ever; it's quite likely, particularly for Phil, but not guaranteed). I wasn't able to get VIP for Interactive Introverts, and I was also unsuccessful when I applied for the LA lottery last year. I'm lucky enough to be meeting Phil this weekend but of course Dan isn't going, and I would love to meet them both. We don't even know if Dan is still going to be doing YouTube-y things in future, so I thought this was an opportunity I didn't want to pass up on. I might not be successful, of course, but I'd like to try.

Not everyone can get to LA, or London, or there might be newer fans who weren't around for previous VidCons or TATINOF/II ... I can understand why Mexican fans feel that way after the disappointment with II, but I don't think international fans shouldn't be allowed to apply ... but I can certainly see why it would be frustrating to local fans if it 's a fan from overseas who's met them before, possibly multiple times. Thoughts?
blackbirddan.tumblr.com
flarequake
not an airport stalker
Pronouns: She/her

I sometimes wonder if any excuse to bully other people will do, and also that they can get over themselves. I get that it’s unfair when others have less chance, but it’s open to everyone and unless absolutely everyone who’s met them before actually does step aside, it’s still not 100% fair.
Phanshy
cheeky #spon

I think anyone who wants to meet them should apply no matter if they've met them multiple times or where they're from and honestly don't worry about other fans and what they think, if you have the opportunity go for it because you'll regret it if you never have the opportunity again which seems likely at least for joint meet and greets. Good luck if you do.🍀

It's silly to try to make people feel guilty, plenty of people haven't had the opportunity to meet them because they didn't go to their country or couldn't afford it that's life, what next people who've been fans longer should get priority over new fans.

I say this as someone who hasn't met them and couldn't go to either tour or any convention because of anxiety.
liola
rankussy

They're also not considering that the M&G lottery is randomized so there is no guarantee for anyone to get the creators they want, so it could very well be that someone could get someone they don't care that much just because they have to fill the spot, and isn't that the same thing except without the country involved? I'm more pissed about that.

I don't know, I don't understand this argument. Not many artists tour in Italy, I'm always travelling to go to shows but the rare occasion when someone DOES come in Italy I would never think that someone from abroad shouldn't travel to see that artist. Globalization offers many opportunities and the freedom of movement is a privilege (because not everyone can use it) and a conquest that shouldn't be taken for granted, and policing it is never a good thing, no matter the reasoning.

But I mean, I'm travelling to the UK to see Phil and friends, so maybe i'm biased
Will probably never be over the BONCAS and the beauty of Phil Lester.

Official Moving Hill Mayor
Secretstanner
truth bomb

Phanshy wrote: Thu Feb 20, 2020 3:00 pm It's silly to try to make people feel guilty, plenty of people haven't had the opportunity to meet them because they didn't go to their country or couldn't afford it that's life, what next people who've been fans longer should get priority over new fans.

I say this as someone who hasn't met them and couldn't go to either tour or any convention because of anxiety.
I think I have the same take as everyone so far on here. I was actually reading the replies to the person and I was upset. I couldn’t imagine being put into that position they were in, being told to Forfeit their chance of meeting Dnp but not selecting them for the lottery. I could never ask someone to do that. The fact that the person agreed to do that made me angry.

I can understand 100% the feelings Mexican fans, but to tell someone who has already bought a ticket to not choose Dnp I don’t like one bit. I hope with my heart they will choose dnp and not sale to someone else as I saw someone reply. Sometimes you just got to be selfish. Now If this person was tweeting something like “not really a fan of them but I’m going to select them anyway” I would be siding differently. The person said they are on holiday there at the time and if that’s true or not you shouldn’t have to be put into a position to make accuses to why you want to meet people that you love.

Just want to say I havnt met them and probably will not because money and anxiety. But even if I had the chance I would never tell someone not to meet them. If anyone on here is hoping to travel to meet them, you fucking do you okay! Be selfish you don’t know what will happen in a years time.
Megancita75
ar·tic·u·late

I also agree it seems to be an illogical argument. I live in Texas and it's super cheap for me to fly to Mexico City and stay there (as opposed to say Los Angeles), and while I don't currently plan to go to Vidcon Mexico, it's possible I'd get a wild hair and change my mind and I would want to have equal opportunity as anyone else to see the creators I wanted to try and see. I do sympathize with the Mexican fans, but during the Interactive Introverts era, how did the M&G function? Did everyone with an II ticket get into the M&G or was it a separate system?
icedcoffeestan
phillion/danosaur <//3

Y'all.......come on. I'll admit I haven't seen the tweets you're talking about but the next thing a lot of y'all sound like you're about to complain about are Mexican phannies being "reverse racist" to white phannies. 🙄

Mexican phannies put up with so much BS during II. They endured literal months of harrassment and grief from non-Mexican fandom members. (People telling them to shut up and stop ruining everyone's fun when they politely asked for TBC date updates, people attacking them for being sad about the date cancellation and then insulting their intelligence by saying they just didn't understand how tours work, the outright racism they endured from white fandom members the *second* one of them complained or was angry about something (even though 90% of those white fandom members would now scream themselves silly about their right to be righteously angry about Dan or lack of content or whatever *cough.*))

I'm not trying to be mean but this just reeks of privilege. If someone has had multiple opportunities to meet dnp and the finances in line to be able to ***fly to another country*** to meet them and they're still taking this opportunity away from people for whom this will likely be their *only chance* they're just being a jerk. End of. Unlike you, who could choose to try for Vidcon LA tickets in the future or have attended one of the hundreds of II performances all across the US - Mexican phannies would have to jump through hoops and hours of legal nonsense to even *try* for that. (If a Mexican fandom member wanted to go to Vidcon LA to possibly meet DNP it wouldn't be as easy as grabbing their passport and booking a ticket, they'd have to apply for a whole visa into the United States which could take months and also be rejected for any number of (usually racist) reasons.)

DNP are literally only going to Vidcon Mexico *this one time* to make up to their fans for the fiasco that was the II Mexico - they've said so themselves. So if that doesn't apply to someone and they're taking that spot away from someone it does? IMO they're being a jerk. Are they still "allowed" to take that spot? Sure. But people are also allowed to call them out on it.
Megancita75
ar·tic·u·late

Hey icecoffeestan,

I'll be honest, I hadn't spent much time in my response putting myself in the shoes of Mexican fan and thinking about it from their perspective. I don't know much of anything about the history of II era since I wasn't around for that. Thanks for adding your input, and I do think your points about people who have more buying power and freedom to travel are valid ones that I hadn't considered. I do wonder why DnP decided to do this event wrapped up in Vidcon and with its lottery system and not a separate event like they did in Brazil, but that ship has sailed I guess.
rizzo
unduly facetious
unduly facetious

someone's having a nice day. :')

also here's phil's ig story from yesterday for idb posterity:
Secretstanner
truth bomb

icedcoffeestan wrote: Thu Feb 20, 2020 5:25 pm Y'all.......come on. I'll admit I haven't seen the tweets you're talking about but the next thing a lot of y'all sound like you're about to complain about are Mexican phannies being "reverse racist" to white phannies. 🙄

Mexican phannies put up with so much BS during II. They endured literal months of harrassment and grief from non-Mexican fandom members. (People telling them to shut up and stop ruining everyone's fun when they politely asked for TBC date updates, people attacking them for being sad about the date cancellation and then insulting their intelligence by saying they just didn't understand how tours work, the outright racism they endured from white fandom members the *second* one of them complained or was angry about something (even though 90% of those white fandom members would now scream themselves silly about their right to be righteously angry about Dan or lack of content or whatever *cough.*))

I'm not trying to be mean but this just reeks of privilege. If someone has had multiple opportunities to meet dnp and the finances in line to be able to ***fly to another country*** to meet them and they're still taking this opportunity away from people for whom this will likely be their *only chance* they're just being a jerk. End of. Unlike you, who could choose to try for Vidcon LA tickets in the future or have attended one of the hundreds of II performances all across the US - Mexican phannies would have to jump through hoops and hours of legal nonsense to even *try* for that. (If a Mexican fandom member wanted to go to Vidcon LA to possibly meet DNP it wouldn't be as easy as grabbing their passport and booking a ticket, they'd have to apply for a whole visa into the United States which could take months and also be rejected for any number of (usually racist) reasons.)

DNP are literally only going to Vidcon Mexico *this one time* to make up to their fans for the fiasco that was the II Mexico - they've said so themselves. So if that doesn't apply to someone and they're taking that spot away from someone it does? IMO they're being a jerk. Are they still "allowed" to take that spot? Sure. But people are also allowed to call them out on it.
I think what you are saying is correct and I’m not going to argue with your statement. I just will say I’m not claiming any reverse racism. My post was about that one thing I saw online. Both sides have valid reason. Even if I had the money to fly to a Mexico I wouldn’t but that’s me. What you said is correct. I wasn’t aware of what was happening in your second paragraph. That’s disgusting and I can’t and wouldn’t condone anyone saying the things you put. I still stand by I don’t like how this girl was told to she should sale her ticket. Now should she have bought her ticket in the first place is different.
Phantasy
woodland creature

rizzo wrote: Thu Feb 20, 2020 6:21 pm someone's having a nice day. :')

also here's phil's ig story from yesterday for idb posterity:
Hmm...wonder what's put him into soft boi mode all of a sudden
liola
rankussy

I still think anyone should be able to try to go to an event that makes them happy without being policed because of how many times they've done it/ where they're from/ how much money they have, sorry. It has nothing to do with reverse racism (I don't think anyone here was accusing Mexican fans of that? Just that it's silly to police something like that because people travelled all around the world for II, and sure they had the privilege to but also doesn't mean that it didn't come with sacrifices in terms of money and work?)

I would also add that this forum was pretty vocal against the whole TBC situation for the most part and blamed dnp communication more than anything

I don't know I guess I just don't like the whole this person deserves it more than this other person because I'm pretty much always travelling for shows because, again, most artist just don't come to Italy, go figure why. So it would really hurt me if I were to book a ticket with the same exact chance of anyone else for a m&g (because again, it's random for Vidcon) and get messages about how unfair and wrong it is.

Everyone can have their opinion but directly messaging the person and telling them they should sell the ticket or not go it's shitty to me and I don't think I'm going to change my mind.

Susanisnotafish
flower crown

Phil’s podcast is tomorrow, isn’t it? What time? Can we listen live?
"Rub those freckles all over me!" --Daniel Howell
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

Susanisnotafish wrote: Fri Feb 21, 2020 3:47 am Phil’s podcast is tomorrow, isn’t it? What time? Can we listen live?
I really hope someone streams it if he managed to get it open to the public. I know we've got at least a few people from here are going to Vidcon, but I don't know if any of them would be able to get into that otherwise.
flarequake
not an airport stalker

The podcast is for the industry track and nothing’s changed on the agenda.
rizzo
unduly facetious
unduly facetious

ugh he looks so good :happytears:

also lol, he definitely stepped into better lighting because his hair was looking REAL light for a second there. gorg though. always gorgggg.
Susanisnotafish
flower crown

I wish I was in London! He looks and sounds so good! His deep voice will be so great on the podcast! Not my favorite shirt of his, so I hope the meet and greet is tomorrow!
"Rub those freckles all over me!" --Daniel Howell
rizzo
unduly facetious
unduly facetious

just gonna throw some instagram posts phil's tagged in under the spoiler:

Amiaw
interactive introvert

His hair looks really ginger here. I’m just so so glad he didn’t get another haircut
susan2
rainbow nerd

A few more pics...

I'm curious to hear what his (current) answer is to the question they always ask on that podcast about if there's a particular person or thing that particularly inspires.
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

Bless everyone sharing the Phil stuff on here. I'm having a super busy work day and can't keep up otherwise.
rizzo
unduly facetious
unduly facetious

vidcon posted a cute pic of phil to their insta. it's enormous, but... #noregrets:

(shout out to google chrome's inspect tool for this one~)
Amiaw
interactive introvert

Here’s what he said about his project and the original tweet has a google doc with notes from his podcast interview
hello9217
flower crown

What time is his m&g tomorrow?
liola
rankussy

hello9217 wrote: Fri Feb 21, 2020 10:15 pm What time is his m&g tomorrow?
2-5(ish)pm!

I'm also really curious about what he's going to do for the evening show.. aaaah can't wait