Dan & Phil Part 95: ASS (Aquarium Staff Seminar)

Our two favourite full time internet nerds who never go outside!
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie
Pronouns: she/her

Some more updates from IRL:
I wonder if they're feeling mixed messages there? People were adamantly against Dan merch before he said he wasn't going to do any more merch indefinitely, but now there's a big demand for it? I guess the difference is that people don't want new merch drops, but want the old stuff still available?
liola
rankussy

I mean, the HTCTE thing was a limited production that not everyone got to have right away, and people were sad about not being available anymore (I would've loved the bracelet for example).

They 100% did something stupid by allowing a few random people to just.. get access to a product not available anymore which was in huge demand before, that llooks so bad I'm surprised it took them this many hours to address it, and to say "We didn't realize" just means they don't pay attention to customers asking.

I've been following this drama all day and I can just say yikes at how they handled it, nevermind the fans who got pissy about it as if only they and their friends deserved to get the shirt because they asked and people shouldn't have reached out to irl
Will probably never be over the BONCAS and the beauty of Phil Lester.

Official Moving Hill Mayor
autumnhearth
senpai

Oh I’m convinced they both have multiple projects at different stages, visiting LA was probably like he said exploring future projects. And there’s obviously some traveling/group event element to one of Dan’s projects that is being postponed due to the pandemic.
oriharakaoru
crusty sponge

alittledizzy wrote: Tue May 05, 2020 8:09 pm I wonder if they're feeling mixed messages there? People were adamantly against Dan merch before he said he wasn't going to do any more merch indefinitely, but now there's a big demand for it? I guess the difference is that people don't want new merch drops, but want the old stuff still available?
and maybe it's just the phandom is super big? so there will always (well, "always") be people chomping at the bit to buy more dan merch and there's also a v vocal crowd who are against him putting anything else out?
laurenbacall
delia smith

unpopular opinion but i didnt like the urge. i thought that it was overwritten and cliched.
however, dan would have written that story 5-6 years ago, so it is likely that he has worked on improving his writing abilities in the meantime. additionally, if he is working with harper collins, they'll have given him a good editor who will help him cut out a lot of the flowery prose he used the first time.
holding out any further comments until more is known
autumnhearth
senpai

laurenbacall wrote: Wed May 06, 2020 6:58 am unpopular opinion but i didnt like the urge. i thought that it was overwritten and cliched.
however, dan would have written that story 5-6 years ago, so it is likely that he has worked on improving his writing abilities in the meantime. additionally, if he is working with harper collins, they'll have given him a good editor who will help him cut out a lot of the flowery prose he used the first time.
holding out any further comments until more is known
Keep in mind it was his take on fan fiction for their humorous book. I’m not trying to say anything negative about you amazing talented transformative writers amongst us, but we wouldn’t judge Phil’s writing potential against The Hand.
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

oriharakaoru wrote: Tue May 05, 2020 11:39 pm
alittledizzy wrote: Tue May 05, 2020 8:09 pm I wonder if they're feeling mixed messages there? People were adamantly against Dan merch before he said he wasn't going to do any more merch indefinitely, but now there's a big demand for it? I guess the difference is that people don't want new merch drops, but want the old stuff still available?
and maybe it's just the phandom is super big? so there will always (well, "always") be people chomping at the bit to buy more dan merch and there's also a v vocal crowd who are against him putting anything else out?
Yeah this wasn't meant to be a commentary on phandom so much as wondering how it looks to IRL and how it plays into their decision making on what to make more of.
flarequake
not an airport stalker
Pronouns: She/her

Hmm, the phantom book title ‘stop f-ing stalking us and stop ruining our projects’ has gone from the goodreads author page :roll: but the unexplained one is still there. What’s it gonna be, Dan and goodreads, is one of you gonna figure out the listing’s wrong or is the other gonna tell us something.
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

flarequake wrote: Wed May 06, 2020 4:58 pm Hmm, the phantom book title ‘stop f-ing stalking us and stop ruining our projects’ has gone from the goodreads author page :roll: but the unexplained one is still there. What’s it gonna be, Dan and goodreads, is one of you gonna figure out the listing’s wrong or is the other gonna tell us something.
I think based on what plinth and jude have said, even if the listing is legit Dan still may not be able to actually say anything about it himself if he's bound by NDA for a certain amount of time... maybe one of them will pop in and clarify that though!
flarequake
not an airport stalker

Oh, good point. If that’s the case and he’s aware of the listing, how immensely frustrating for him to have it leaked after all this time he’s waited.
flarequake
not an airport stalker

Phil vs cushion
Mia
spork

The book could be part of the play/show. Like Dan could be doing a solo tour talking about themes in the book. Like how TATINOF AND TABINOF were linked. The book could have been delayed if was meant to come out at same time as the play/show :shrug:

I think he would write a good book and tbh, I will read it :reading1:
yellowsubmarine
hobbit hair

If Dan ever wrote a book it may be the very first thing I buy from him. That is right up my alley.
"Treat yourself, because you're special and you're worth it."
Apple In My Pie
tol bean

I don't think it is a book, I think the phandom has been searching for something, came across it and it's spiralled. The same murmurings happened a few months ago. There's an American author named Dan Howell who writes poetry and stories with a similar theme. When you googled Dan Howell or Daniel Howell this author's book would pop up on GoodReads saying something like 'soon to be published' - and everybody was ADAMANT it was Daniel, but it wasn't. I have a feeling based on the listing that it isn't our Dan's. Although I don't think I'd mind being wrong on this one. I've fallen out of love with the Phandom but think a book written by Dan away from the TABINOF brand will be very interesting to see all the same.
flarequake
not an airport stalker

Oop, it’s gone from his goodreads profile and the title doesn’t come up in a search. Not that I’ve been checking :roll:
Templeofshame
rainbow nerd

flarequake wrote: Wed May 06, 2020 11:58 pm Oop, it’s gone from his goodreads profile and the title doesn’t come up in a search. Not that I’ve been checking :roll:
It's still showing on his profile for me, but the link is broken when I click. (It also shows a 5 star rating based on 6 reviews, which I assume is phandom?)
obsessivelymoody
emo goose

Templeofshame wrote: Thu May 07, 2020 3:55 am
flarequake wrote: Wed May 06, 2020 11:58 pm Oop, it’s gone from his goodreads profile and the title doesn’t come up in a search. Not that I’ve been checking :roll:
It's still showing on his profile for me, but the link is broken when I click. (It also shows a 5 star rating based on 6 reviews, which I assume is phandom?)
It's not showing for me on the website or on the app. I'm curious if it really was an error or if someone behind the scenes of the project decided now wasn't the time. There were a lot of curious things about it to me, like the page number already being listed but no publisher. I'd love this kind of project from Dan, but due to the wikipedia-esque nature of goodreads I'm a skeptic. But again, I'd love this from Dan.

And yes, the reviews on it are most likely all phandom members. One of the most annoying things about goodreads (I've been using the site since 2013 ish) is that before works are published/released anyone can add ratings and reviews, which often hugely skews the average rating of books, especially popular ones, which personally makes it hard for me to shop for books by popular (mostly YA) authors because people who DEFINITELY don't have an ARC are putting 5 star reviews...but that's not relevant and a rant I've had on the go for 7 years lol.
Templeofshame
rainbow nerd

obsessivelymoody wrote: Thu May 07, 2020 4:53 am There were a lot of curious things about it to me, like the page number already being listed but no publisher.
The publisher was listed as Dey Street Books for me, and I've seen a fair amount of discussion about them, the fact that they publish books by other YouTubers, the legitimacy of a HarperCollins imprint, etc. So I think it's not just me that had a publisher listed?
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

Templeofshame wrote: Thu May 07, 2020 1:29 pm
obsessivelymoody wrote: Thu May 07, 2020 4:53 am There were a lot of curious things about it to me, like the page number already being listed but no publisher.
The publisher was listed as Dey Street Books for me, and I've seen a fair amount of discussion about them, the fact that they publish books by other YouTubers, the legitimacy of a HarperCollins imprint, etc. So I think it's not just me that had a publisher listed?
I saw the publisher listed, too, yeah.

I am surprised that it outright disappeared. I thought if there was some sort of a mistake it was probably that it was attributed to the wrong author and would just disappear from Dan's profile and show up under the right one.

The fact that it's gone completely makes me think the publisher really did just ask them to remove the information. It may be that this book isn't even on a definitely timeline at all yet, that they're waiting for lockdown to die down? The ripple effect of all the places closed, all the things put on pause, are really starting to impact every industry.
liola
rankussy

I'm so confused, why add it to his profile during a quarantine just to take it off not even that much time after? Sure it was there before we talked about it here but I don't think for long, someone would've noticed so.. this is all weird to me. I'm confusion. I just want Dan to have written a book dammit
Will probably never be over the BONCAS and the beauty of Phil Lester.

Official Moving Hill Mayor
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

Dan liked this, and I feel.
obvsly
#relatable

alittledizzy wrote: Thu May 07, 2020 4:58 pm Dan liked this, and I feel.
//me slowly putting down my bag of chocolate chips :oops:
Catallena
classy cat lady
classy cat lady

But it's also been 2 years since Phil looked hot in a Poundland car park

and they were being dorks in a venue with a dance floor (in my head they had another Thinking Out Loud moment there)

so it all evens out I guess. :happytears:
Twitter *•.(★).•* Tumblr
flarequake
not an airport stalker

Well, get you a man who can do both. Hot in the Poundland car park and lying down on a disco floor imploring you not to judge, I’d take him. My local Poundland backs on to a car park with an interesting gappy wall design, not quite honeycomb, but some shape pattern. It’s decades old, that car park has seen many chain shops come and go. Maybe I need to go hang out there to meet a hot dork, idk :roll:
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

Mister Amazing himself wrote: Hey Cacbros

For the next week there is a 50% discount on 'Try New Things' shirts just for you! Just use the code CACTUSCLUB at checkout. This applies to both the yellow and the black shirts. (The offer will last for 7 days). Worldwide: http://www.amazingphilshop.com USA: http://us.amazingphilshop.com

I’m going to film some animal crossing today! I haven't checked into my island in a while as I got distracted by FF7 Remake so hopefully my villagers aren’t angry at me. I'll also try not to smack my head on a cupboard when I start filming this time.

Also very important and relevant... What vibe do I give off? (credit to IG: emmaashaww).