Dan & Phil Part 95: ASS (Aquarium Staff Seminar)

Our two favourite full time internet nerds who never go outside!
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie
Pronouns: she/her

:happytears:
Catallena
classy cat lady
classy cat lady

I am floored. A whole Twitter interaction between Dan and Phil! Just a few days ago I was thinking about how much I miss that and now they deliver? Is it actually MY birthday instead?
Twitter *•.(★).•* Tumblr
kavat
pastel persona

Cuuuute!

Here is some of my fave art!
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

ok I'm cross-posting but this was my Dan birthday post on tumblr.

1. That he came out to his family via email. Aspirational.

2. Dude really, really loves his grandma.

3. That one time at a book signing when the bookstore overpromised tickets and there was a dad that was really upset because his daughter had been waiting in line so long and didn’t get to meet them. The dad was just shouting at Dan and Phil and everyone else was trying to just quickly walk on but Dan stopped, turned around, and talked to the dad.

4. That he’s the first person to defend someone he loves in any situation where he even perceives they’re being shit upon, but in the same breath will make fun of them himself. He’s the epitome of older brother attitude.

5. He spends a lot of money on clothes but then he wears what he buys every single day for a span of at least a year so he does at least get his money’s worth.

6. That time on vyou when someone asked him what he looks for in a girl and his answer was the ring that fell off his hand last time that he really wants back.

7. His reaction to the Phil’s wife story. I still laugh thinking about Sabrina and Lola. In the process of answering that he made a remark about how Phil leaves to go with his ‘real’ family and sometimes that just latches itself onto my brain. There was a similar comment during the blue/gold dress debate where Phil referenced Dan in with family and it’s just… like, yeah, they’re in love, they’re in a relationship. But they’re not just partners, they are full on out and out family to each other and that Dan found that at a time when he was so scared and felt so isolated with his own family is worth everything.

8. The depth of feeling in his voice during that one “Katie, Katie, Katie… Katie, Katie, Katie. No.” liveshow answer. You know the one. He was having none of that and if Katie got verbally incinerated in the process of his answering, so be it.

9. When he’d be doing a liveshow and get on a tangent and end up talking about condiments or dips for like four minutes straight.

10. The way he never minded putting someone on blast that pissed him off but knew that it bothered Phil so he would consult with Phil first sometimes but then if the situation actually involved Phil being hurt in some way all bets were off he Was naming that trainer that made Phil puke he did not Care if Phil gave him an alias for the video Kai deserved what he got for pushing Phil too far.

11. That after a decade he still wants to impress Phil’s family by doing things like cleaning before they come and making them all coffee.

12. And yet still made a cake to give to Phil in front of them that talked about wanting to see Phil’s ass. The duality of man is real, indeed.

13. Nicer Internet. Young Minds. Make-a-Wish. Mermaids. He only just came into his own with being charity-minded in the last few years and I don’t for a second doubt he does more privately than publicly and probably has some mental spirals about using his platform vs being accused of virtue signaling. But this is just one way I love watching him find his footing in the world as an adult with privilege.

14. He introduced an important word to my personal lexicon with Haru and I’d like the rest of the world to catch on because it’s just a very specific action of lying while obviously lying and pretending you aren’t lying and I love it.

15. When he was fifteen he was so in his emo kid feelings that he wanted black angel wings tattooed on his back.

16. That little tune he’d hum when he was trying to space out thoughts during liveshows.

17. That somehow he beat all the odds and is best friends with the first person he subscribed to (Bryony) and in a relationship with his teenage self’s favorite youtuber (Phil, obviously). Teenage Dan had a really shit time of almost everything but in that one specific 'meet your idols’ area he was truly blessed with all of the luck.

18. “All I can taste is cherry, all I can smell is cherry, all I can hear is cherry and all I can feel is cherry. Can’t really see much though.”

19. The fact that he owned up to previous bad takes and opinions and deleted old videos and tweets.

20. Litralee.

21. They originally wanted Phil to run the board at the radio show but he did such a bad job of it after the first episode that they gave it to Dan instead, and I think for someone with zero radio work experience or training Dan did an amazing job. He may spend a lot of time doubting himself but when a spotlight is on him he’s clever and confident and adapts quickly.

22. The way when he says 'at all’ he still sounds like his five year old self.

23. That he tried to run the marathon last year, and didn’t, and tried again this year. When you’re someone that fears judgement for your failures and knows everything you do is scrutinized by a very large audience - not just fans but people waiting for you to fail so they can report on that, too - sharing in that way seems like it would be really hard. It was shit luck that he couldn’t run it this year either but I have faith he’s gonna cross that finish line because the man Dan Howell has turned into goes after what he wants and fuck what anyone else thinks or expects of him.

24. That one liveshow they did without pants. You know that was Dan’s idea. Phil is a respectable young man who does not go live on the internet to thousands of people in just his underwear. But Dan? Dan would. Dan does. And Dan is a terrible blerson.

25. That in a video to ten million people he said with his whole chest that his relationship with Phil made him feel safe for the first time since he was a small child. And like, yeah, sure, I’m infatuated with their relationship so it made me happy on a personal level. But beyond that; putting words to things is clearly not easy for Dan. It took him decades to acknowledge he was gay to himself. It took decades plus a little to tell his family. Sometimes it doesn’t matter how much people know things, giving it a label is fucking scary and I think his fear of labeling his relationship with Phil (to the public) felt like a different kind of exposure than just his sexuality and he still faced them both.

26. He clearly has a very complicated relationship with his parents and family in general but that one story he told about being young and on holiday to Disneyland Paris and his mum is terrified of roller coasters but went on one with him like six times because she didn’t want him to be alone. I’m glad through all the badness and doubt and fear he’s had at how conditional his parents’ love might be, that he had those good memories as well.

27. It was Dan that coined the phrase 'post-baking universe.’ He’s very aware of the stages of their life and his growth and he shares that self-awareness with the viewers even if he doesn’t share all the depth of reasoning behind them. (He also coined the term 'phan’ but in that instance I think uhh he didn’t know what he was doing so.)

28. That he’s learned better coping mechanisms than lashing out online. That he’s got therapy now and the option for medication when he needs it. That depression doesn’t go away but he knows he has options and support now.

29. He’s given us almost a decade of content to watch and rewatch and enjoy and view through the different lights of his growth and our own growth, and who knows what the future will hold.

Okay, last minute addition - we’ll call it one to grow on:

30. That Starcourt selfie.
flarequake
not an airport stalker
Pronouns: She/her

This post is so lovely, number 28 especially spoke to me and how I've been lately too, it's such a lot. A few of these were news to me, the idea of a black angel wings tattoo for one. I don't remember his liveshow humming, guess I'll have to go rewatch a few. Uhf, so many things. I hadn't considered his defend and also tease as being classic big brother behaviour, but I guess so, makes me think about the one of my OC's a bit differently.

So much lovely art and things today, a fun bunch of photos from Phil and you know, I didn't register the joint selfie as being so special, but yeah, especially from that night we didn't see Dan solo in HD. And there's Norman swimming around with a front row seat and no idea how much love there is out in the world for his giant dads.
noodlebum
flower crown

Hold on I've never heard number 6 before :lol:
also guess who followed through with number 15 :oops:
Amiaw
interactive introvert

By the time I hit submit Dan could’ve went through the art and liked people’s submissions but so far it looks like he’s following the same timeline as last year. Is he going to be quiet tomorrow and like them on BIG’s anniversary? Are there going to be any other surprises this month? I know there are other important things going on right now but they’ve both been quiet for pride month so it makes you think.
madytastic
dank meme

alittledizzy wrote: Thu Jun 11, 2020 5:55 pm 8. The depth of feeling in his voice during that one “Katie, Katie, Katie… Katie, Katie, Katie. No.” liveshow answer. You know the one. He was having none of that and if Katie got verbally incinerated in the process of his answering, so be it.
what is this from???
flarequake
not an airport stalker

It’s here and wow, I’d forgotten how condescending he sounds
lefthandedism
simply stressed bisexual
simply stressed bisexual

I hope Dan had a great birthday! For the phandom at least, it seems like his birthday is going to be an extended holiday through the anniversary of BIG.

One thing I've noticed, is that he is definitely going to hit 11 million views very soon! (It's 10,993,400 as I post this.)

I'm sure most of us will be watching it again in the next two days!

"If you're left-handed, ask a friend."
"Why am I left-handed?"
"Everybody makes mistakes."
kavat
pastel persona

Of course Hector made cute art too!
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

A couple other cute tweets:
I feel like the fact that he gets so many less tweets now really makes it stand out how many people only interacted with him to try and gain some of his clout/get some of that sweet sweet engagement. To be honest I much prefer knowing who genuinely and honestly likes him as a person.
noodlebum
flower crown

Mind you, by Dan's own admission, he's well known for not replying to people's messages, so maybe some people got fed up of that (not shaming him or the others, just a fact of life that you'll sometimes get back what you put in). Some people might have sent texts/personal messages anyway.
I have the people I would just wish happy birthday to on Facebook, then the people I would call or text instead :shrug: :)
BrothAndBrine
delia smith

978 more views until 11M! (Basically I'm Gay)
BrothAndBrine
delia smith

466 more views until 11M views for Basically I'm Gay...!
(or so the counter says)
Those of you that like countdowns will appreciate this. :ribena:
tipofmemory
dank meme
Pronouns: she/they

Officially 11 million views on BIG! :happytears: :wavingflag: :woohoo:
kavat
pastel persona

Happy BIG anniversary! :wavingflag: can you believe it's been a year? It feels like 2 months and 12 years ago, both at the same time.
flarequake
not an airport stalker

Lovely video edit
firsttimeposter
living flop

flarequake wrote: Sat Jun 13, 2020 8:36 am Lovely video edit
That song ughhhhh. It fits perfectly. So proud of daniel.

On another note, he just liked a reaction picture of phil with a gun lmaooo, love that he finds it as funny as we do.

I really hope he’ll address the anniversary of BIG, though I hope he knows there’s no pressure to do anything big (lmao), it’s HIS day.
Amiaw
interactive introvert

Phil just updated his Instagram profile to Digital Creator 🤔
I know today is dan day but I’m intrigued by this and the twitch account. I wonder what he’s planning
Becky.rigby
living flop

Amiaw wrote: Sat Jun 13, 2020 2:39 pm Phil just updated his Instagram profile to Digital Creator 🤔
I know today is dan day but I’m intrigued by this and the twitch account. I wonder what he’s planning
Ohhh interesting 🧐 what did it say before?
Amiaw
interactive introvert

It didn’t say anything before. It’s not a huge change but it seems like he’s making small steps towards looking more professional
blahblahblah8
pumpkin spice pumpkin cookie

I think being a digital creator on Instagram gives you access to some analytics on your posts that you otherwise wouldn’t be able to see. So idk if he did it just for that or for other reasons but it’s still interesting he decided to do that now
Catallena
classy cat lady
classy cat lady

Happy BIG Anniversary! A year later and I'm still so happy and proud. :rainbowtears:
Twitter *•.(★).•* Tumblr
noodlebum
flower crown

Seems like longer ago we were all here shook to the core