Dan & Phil Part 95: ASS (Aquarium Staff Seminar)

Our two favourite full time internet nerds who never go outside!
laurenbacall
delia smith

i enjoyed the first two geoguessr videos a lot (especially how butt-hurt dan is in the second one about how people didn't get his "jokes" in the first one). i loved undertale the first time i watched it, but the videos bore me on rewatch because you know the story and the fights get so repetitive (other than the fourth one, which i love regardless). sims has peaks and troughs, and you can tell that they were getting bored with it by the end (but, even though i was not interested in dil by this point, the halloween one where they kill him and tabitha was fucked up). golf with friends is my most re-watched series, but the last google feud is one of my favourite dapg videos of all-time....
i'd also like to shout-out the second overcooked and f*re g*rl and w*ter b*y videos for being the best ones in those series (although overcooked #2 is another of my all-time favourite videos)
Mia
spork
Pronouns: she/her

With the recent YouTube drama, I decided to have a tidy of who I follow as hadn't unfollowed anyone since I got an account with maybe an exemption to those like Onision etc.

I noticed that Marcus Butler had even deleted all his videos. Quick look at his Instagram and some gossip pages indicate that he deleted them end of last year but posted an IGTV in April about his YouTube career and future. I hope Dan doesn't do this but it's an example of what former YouTubers seem to do. Think Marcus did it for his ego and new brand. Dan has his own issues with how he wants to present himself online but I don't see him doing what Marcus done.

I kept following Dan as I feel he may address his channel one day. I also feel like BIG was so momentual that thinking of new content is a struggle for him. I reckon he had stuff in the pipeline to post alongside the project that got pushed due to coronavirus.

Sorry went back to the old conversation. Big fan of the Golf with Friends series!
kiro56
tol bean

I spoke to Dan last weekend and he's uploading a video later this month.
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

kiro56 wrote: Sun Jul 05, 2020 6:40 pm I spoke to Dan last weekend and he's uploading a video later this month.
but do you have .....
......................................................................................................
.........................................................................................................................................................
............................................................................................................................................................................................................
...................................................................................................................................................................................................................... proof?
Becky.rigby
living flop

kiro56 wrote: Sun Jul 05, 2020 6:40 pm I spoke to Dan last weekend and he's uploading a video later this month.
Of course you did 👍😂
Megancita75
ar·tic·u·late

I follow PJ on insta and watch his YT videos but don’t watch his Twitch streams. Out of curiosity, does anyone know what an average audience number is for him for those streams? It seems he does it several times a week. I’m interested in relation to thinking about Phil possibly streaming on Twitch as well.
madzilla84
eclipse shirt

I watch most of his streams and I think it's usually in the 400 area? Sometimes a bit more if he's playing something popular, and it can depend on the time of day, but I think it's usually something like that.
blackbirddan.tumblr.com
obsessivelymoody
emo goose

Golf with Friends is definitely top tier gaming, along with Undertale. I also loved Keep Talking and Nobody Explodes, and have a soft spot in my heart for the Pokemon Go videos. Gaming handicap ones were always so good too.
bluecaterpillar
pumpkin spice pumpkin cookie

alittledizzy wrote: Sun Jul 05, 2020 6:43 pm
but do you have .....
......................................................................................................
.........................................................................................................................................................
............................................................................................................................................................................................................
...................................................................................................................................................................................................................... proof?
irresputible poof, please.

i loved the undertale series so much that i bought the game based off their playthrough, which is the only time that's happened (i also have sims 4 but i only got that because it was free for a limited time). it does have a lot of reading but they got so into doing the voices and i found the gameplay itself more than interesting enough to make up for that.

my other favourite series are golf with friends (never gets old), the second and third yasuhati videos, charades, crash bandicoot and guess the wikihow. the sims series is nice for an occasional rewatch in its entirety, it's nice to see the progress they made from having a terrible house and desperately trying to pair dil with every female sim he met, to having a mad scientist career and the devan romance.

i really enjoy keep talking and nobody explodes but it's so frustrating how they jumped up several levels of difficulty, inevitably did badly and then never played it again.
there’s not a star in heaven that we can’t reach
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

bluecaterpillar wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 2:51 pm i really enjoy keep talking and nobody explodes but it's so frustrating how they jumped up several levels of difficulty, inevitably did badly and then never played it again.
That's actually the reason it never makes my list. They genuinely did do good and they do read each other's cues well and but skipping so fucking many levels that give you actually significant gameplay knowledge was just like... setting themselves up for a failure and I don't think they have fun at things they're bad at (one of them being bad is funny; both of them? I don't think it makes anyone laugh) so it just felt like a huge pile of wasted potential to me.

Same with Minecraft, though in that instance it was more that they went in blind when they really didn't need to. I would love to have seen some of the weird things Phil could come up with on creative mode in that game.
liola
rankussy

The more I think about Phil actually using Twitch the more I don't think it would be a good fit but the man is always surprising and at this point to have liveshows back on an actual good platform I'd probably sell my own mother (sorry mom!)

I like KTNE because they were both very good at first and then very very bad lol I guess I see the usual "Dan is good at gaming Phil is bad" as a persona thing they put on and after a while it just got old for me, and I just found the banter funny. I wish they did more with it!

One series I could never go into is Pokemon Go, I've watched clips of it but it just bored me? The most exciting thing in the Singapore one was the quest for Phil's meds to me. Weirdly though I do wish they'd done more solo gaming, which I think might be a bit unpopular
Will probably never be over the BONCAS and the beauty of Phil Lester.

Official Moving Hill Mayor
Megancita75
ar·tic·u·late

Why is Phil so effing cute? Also, I would love to have more Phil storytimes, so this is promising.

For members only: new AmazingPhil post

Happy Monday cactus crew!

Hope you're all doing well! I've spotted loads of you in the comments on my new video so I'm glad you're enjoying it. Going to respond to a bunch more at some point either today or tomorrow. I like to leave the video a lil while so everyone gets a chance to watch it before I comment back.

Speaking of my new video, I was wondering if any of you guys have any funny or awkward closeted moment stories inspired by my video? If you do share them below I might end up using them for a video! (only share something you'd be happy for me to share with strange people on the internet... not that you are a strange person. or maybe you are... but that's okay)

Thanks also to anyone who got a pride art print and corgi sticker over on my shop! All proceeds are going to charity and I can't wait for you all to get them.

If you want a tv recommendation I have become unironically addicted to 'The Floor is Lava' on Netflix. It is terrible but also my new favourite sport and I think it should be in the olympics. I thought i'd hate it but ended up shouting at the tv and watching 4 episodes in a row.
On that note, I'm going to hop from the sofa to the coffee table, onto the kitchen table, parkour run across the wall and then grab myself a cornetto from the freezer.

l8rs sk8rs
AmazingPhil
bluecaterpillar
pumpkin spice pumpkin cookie

alittledizzy wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 3:51 pm Same with Minecraft, though in that instance it was more that they went in blind when they really didn't need to. I would love to have seen some of the weird things Phil could come up with on creative mode in that game.
oh god i completely forgot they played minecraft one time. as somebody who spent a not-insignificant chunk of my teenage years building things on minecraft creative mode, i remember being very irritated by their inability to play the damn game properly :lol:
liola wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 4:25 pm One series I could never go into is Pokemon Go, I've watched clips of it but it just bored me? The most exciting thing in the Singapore one was the quest for Phil's meds to me. Weirdly though I do wish they'd done more solo gaming, which I think might be a bit unpopular
i liked pokemon go, not for the game itself, but because the videos were almost ditl-esque. the medicine quest, the wandering around regent's park, the random kid who recognised them, shouted hi and walked off, and the bit where dan stops phil from walking into a lamppost.
there’s not a star in heaven that we can’t reach
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

bluecaterpillar wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 4:36 pm
liola wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 4:25 pm One series I could never go into is Pokemon Go, I've watched clips of it but it just bored me? The most exciting thing in the Singapore one was the quest for Phil's meds to me. Weirdly though I do wish they'd done more solo gaming, which I think might be a bit unpopular
i liked pokemon go, not for the game itself, but because the videos were almost ditl-esque. the medicine quest, the wandering around regent's park, the random kid who recognised them, shouted hi and walked off, and the bit where dan stops phil from walking into a lamppost.
Pokemon Go felt groundbreaking to me in weird tiny ways I can't even entirely vocalize. It just had a giddy vibe about it - giddy and... gay. Like. Panning shots of each other's bodies and commenting on outfits and physicality between them in a public setting and running for cover in a surprise rainstorm and snickering over naked male statues and sitting on a bench in a park together.

Sigh. I'm gonna need to go rewatch them now.
liola
rankussy

alittledizzy wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 5:03 pm
bluecaterpillar wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 4:36 pm
Pokemon Go felt groundbreaking to me in weird tiny ways I can't even entirely vocalize. It just had a giddy vibe about it - giddy and... gay. Like. Panning shots of each other's bodies and commenting on outfits and physicality between them in a public setting and running for cover in a surprise rainstorm and snickering over naked male statues and sitting on a bench in a park together.

Sigh. I'm gonna need to go rewatch them now.
Well I've watched them so little I basically don't remember any of it maybe I'll rewatch them too
Will probably never be over the BONCAS and the beauty of Phil Lester.

Official Moving Hill Mayor
lefthandedism
simply stressed bisexual
simply stressed bisexual

I loved all the Pokemon Go videos for all the same reasons! I also can't think about them without remembering how sick it turned out Dan had been during the first one (why they had to sit on the park bench!). I remember he talked about having walking pneumonia in a liveshow afterwards. And also Phil talked about feeling bad that he had told Dan not to go to the doctor for his cough since you should be really sick to go. (Happily, Dan did go to the hospital and was prescribed some antibiotics!)

It feels a bit weird to be reminiscing about Dan being sick--the point of course is that we got some fun ditl-esque videos, and liveshows in which each of them talked about the backstory (and each other). And we felt we knew what was going on in their life(ves)! :wahh:
"If you're left-handed, ask a friend."
"Why am I left-handed?"
"Everybody makes mistakes."
madzilla84
eclipse shirt

It sounds as though Phil is making another video about, or including, awkward gay moments soon(ish)! I wasn't expecting that so soon ... if you'd asked me which one of them in 2020 would be making videos about their gay experiences, putting out charity pride merch and dropping multiple references after coming out, my answer wouldn't have been Phil! (Especially as Dan had been talking about the merch last year, and had been talking more about it in general, as I was reminded today by all the posts talking about him at pride a year ago today). I'm not complaining though, I think it's great, just surprising is all! Go Phil! :wavingflag:

(For a second I thought he was asking his usual question for a liveshow, whoops, back to clown college for me )
blackbirddan.tumblr.com
Moonbeamsonthepath
living flop
Pronouns: she

Maybe Dan thinks he is, but whether it'll actually happen is a whole different story.
flarequake
not an airport stalker
Pronouns: She/her

Moonbeamsonthepath wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 10:54 pm
Maybe Dan thinks he is, but whether it'll actually happen is a whole different story.
Ouch, I relate too much :rofl:
Megancita75
ar·tic·u·late

I keep thinking about Phil's request for closeted stories in his member's post. I know he's asking for funny and awkward stories, but it's really making me wonder about how much being closeted was part of his identity. I suppose my head canon was that being in the glass closet was not as fraught for him since his close friends and family knew and that not being out publicly wasn't a heavy burden. Even typing this out seems stupid to me now, but in his recent video when he said coming out made him feel like he could exist as a human I was honestly surprised to hear that. Maybe it surprised him too? This is not a coherent comment, but maybe my only real point is that I keep thinking about his recent video and just feeling startled still at some of the personal feelings he shared.
masterofgeometry
squish

Hong Kong, not Singapore :) but yeah I agree, the vlog-y bits were the really good parts of the pokego videos.
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

I dug a bit through Phil's attraction thread playlist just to remind myself and... okay it's not one I ever watched much before because it just seemed too painful. It's still painful now, but in a different way. Oh, Phil.

There are obviously loads more, it just started to make me too sad so I'm gonna go watch his most recent video again.

Oh, also, I'll leave it on a lighter note - this one aged like fine wine:

rizzo
unduly facetious
unduly facetious

Those videos. I can physically feel his discomfort. Oof.

I will never not snort at "accidental mistake. definitely." He was so damn blatant. I love that man.
noodlebum
flower crown

Megancita75 wrote: Sun Jul 05, 2020 8:00 pm I follow PJ on insta and watch his YT videos but don’t watch his Twitch streams. Out of curiosity, does anyone know what an average audience number is for him for those streams? It seems he does it several times a week. I’m interested in relation to thinking about Phil possibly streaming on Twitch as well.
Am watching his stream today early afternoon UK time and it's around 600 watching currently :D
Susanisnotafish
flower crown
Pronouns: She/her

Does anyone know if Dan ever did “tell the story of The Super Amazing Project” or what he was referring to at 35:41?
"Rub those freckles all over me!" --Daniel Howell