Dan & Phil Part 95: ASS (Aquarium Staff Seminar)

Our two favourite full time internet nerds who never go outside!
glitterintheair
phillluminati
Pronouns: she/her

I loved Phil’s vid! This and the houseplants tour are my favorite vids he has posted so far this year. I feel like the more time passes, the more I am getting over “standard content” (ie the vids he makes in front of the white wall) but I am vibing with the vloggy style vids I mentioned above. I love Phil just EXISTING, Phil being Phil, doing things, moving, with his cameraman along.
I'm a winter flower underground, always thirsty for summer rain.
flarequake
not an airport stalker
Pronouns: She/her

Looks like someone nifty with sewing patchwork quilts has repurposed some iconic Phil bedsheet into a new thing (maybe not/entirely parts of the actual duvet cover, the green looks like a different shade, more jade).
lefthandedism
simply stressed bisexual
simply stressed bisexual

glitterintheair wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 9:27 am I love Phil just EXISTING, Phil being Phil, doing things, moving, with his cameraman along.
I think you have distilled Dan's dream, what he has been working toward for more than a decade: as Phil exists, to be his cameraman.
"If you're left-handed, ask a friend."
"Why am I left-handed?"
"Everybody makes mistakes."
laurenbacall
delia smith

flarequake wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 9:31 am Looks like someone nifty with sewing patchwork quilts has repurposed some iconic Phil bedsheet into a new thing (maybe not/entirely parts of the actual duvet cover, the green looks like a different shade, more jade).
bryony has made phil a quilt before, so i could see it being very possible that she made this for him

he talks about it at 9:13 in this liveshow also, did anyone else think it looked like dan was wearing glasses when we saw a glimpse of his reflection in the mirror of the lift?
starwatersong
phabergé

Aww, what a lovely video! Them working together to save a pigeon was just so... NICE. And we need more of that right now! I am also settled on moving hill, which may need to expand to moving mountain because of all of us joining it. Or at least moving butte.

The live show above gave me some warm feelings as well — although the five year old comments gave me a bit of a giggle (“They’re not gay. As a gay man, I would know...”)
bluecaterpillar
pumpkin spice pumpkin cookie

laurenbacall wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 2:43 pm also, did anyone else think it looked like dan was wearing glasses when we saw a glimpse of his reflection in the mirror of the lift?
at first i genuinely thought he was so determined not to show his face that he covered it all with his mask, but yeah he was just wearing sunglasses.

my favourite phil videos are definitely the ones where he moves around rather than just staying in front of his usual background. the pigeon rescue, the plant tour and the sensory deprivation pod have been some of my favourites on his channel from the last couple of years.

also...weaning steve off the seed... it's nice to finally be on moving hill.
there’s not a star in heaven that we can’t reach
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

Anyone mind me being mushy for a second? No? Good.

I love this video as an example of what Dan said in BIG - he's someone that wants to keep the details of his personal life private, so is Phil.

They've both stuck with that and I don't imagine it'll ever change. They are fiercely protective over the intricacies of their relationship and it's not for audience consumption. But the big picture? They're not hiding that anymore. We don't know the ins and outs of their days but overall, the fact that their life - with no guise of professional partners first - is a shared one and everything they do (including pro bono pigeon rescue services) is a joint effort.
Mia
spork

I honestly really loved the video. It was so sweet and lovely. It was such an insight into what they had got up to with looking after this pidgeon. Phil definitely went into dad mode :happytears:

However, I spent ages staring at the glass bit of flooring trying to work out what it exposed. Also, the more I see of their interior the more I'm in love with it :loveeyes:
snoopysadie

hey peeps, long time no see.
phil's video was so amazing i just needed to share my excitement. also i saw someone talking about moving hill in the AP tumblr tag and rushed here to see what y'all thought.

i'm really happy this video had everyone in love, i ADORED IT. it literally gave me such happiness my eyes watered a bit (which is so pathetic but if anything is going to make me emotionally unstable is dnp).

my thoughts on the video are pretty much what @glitterintheair said about the vloggy content and comparing that one to the houseplants tour. phil existing is the most interesting thing to watch. i love when he goes on adventures, even if it's a sleepless night, it's just so fun and special.

also i when i saw the pastel plushies, i just paused the video for like, 10 seconds and stared at it while making the longest "awwwwwww" ever.

but the one thing that made me freak out was that shot of phil on the couch sitting all casual. he is an actual model. also his hair was a bit messy T_T so handsome. (yes, confirming that gays can't sit)

anyway, going back to the apartment thing, they showed so much of it. when they showed the lift (though seeing dan was great, good to know he's alive and corporeal) and when phil said they were going to walk down the street for ten minutes i freaked out. like, what are you doing?!

so i guess if y'all can make space i'm taking a small tent to moving hill because i think we're getting there :rainbowtears:
"I still remember... the first day I met you."
"I remember it, too"
Susanisnotafish
flower crown
Pronouns: She/her

Definitely on moving hill with y’all, but do you think they are finally making the move to a forever home? Where they can have pets? Will it be in London or Brighton?
"Rub those freckles all over me!" --Daniel Howell
dblyw
smol bean

Susanisnotafish wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 2:03 am Definitely on moving hill with y’all, but do you think they are finally making the move to a forever home? Where they can have pets? Will it be in London or Brighton?
I’m super curious what their concept of a “forever home” is. A single family home with a yard? A nice flat that they buy instead of rent? Is it in London? I wonder, though, if we’ll ever even know...I kind of think they won’t show it. A forever home (and it’s implications) seems like more than they want to share.
obsessivelymoody
emo goose

God I love a forever home discussion :foreverhome: Moving Hill is looking very nice indeed. As for my two cents, I think London, maybe a little into the suburbs, but not too far because they're both shite drivers (yes they're rich enough to order ubers everywhere but I imagine uber in a more suburban area isn't as convenient). I genuinely think they love living in a penthouse - also based on what Phil said about his dream house in that one video - so probably that or some kind of large condo. Either way, I imagine they would invest in a totally separate living and work space, kind of like what they have now but the living space being exclusively shown in the occasional insta story/post, never in a video.
rizzo
unduly facetious
unduly facetious

dblyw wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 3:06 am
Susanisnotafish wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 2:03 am Definitely on moving hill with y’all, but do you think they are finally making the move to a forever home? Where they can have pets? Will it be in London or Brighton?
I’m super curious what their concept of a “forever home” is. A single family home with a yard? A nice flat that they buy instead of rent? Is it in London? I wonder, though, if we’ll ever even know...I kind of think they won’t show it. A forever home (and it’s implications) seems like more than they want to share.
I think just given their propensity to not drive... they'll still be close-to or in London. Granted, maybe they have fewer meetings these days and another location might be appealing. But then again... Yeah. They don't drive. Phil's also mentioned wanting a bit of grass, but both love a penthouse/glass walls situation, so I imagine a rooftop garden is a must.

But all that being said, I've begun to lean into the idea that they've spent months - if not years at this point - gutting and completely renovating a forever home to fit their exact specifications. They've had the time, they have the money, and they've been in this flat long enough. They've also talked about renovating a place (for a show, but still, it's clearly a concept they're open to) and having the inside of a penthouse completely remodeled means they can film and post occasional photos of the inside of it without anyone ever being able to uncover where that home is. Plus, Dan loves himself a bit of design.

Maybe this is just me projecting my hopes and wishes onto them, but it just seems the best route for them to take and it also makes me hopeful that we'd be allowed to see inside their home a bit more because they're comfy knowing we have no idea where it is.
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

I definitely see them as penthouse in London people but the fact that they were trying to find a flat to fix up a couple of years go... I'm really all about it tbh. So I think I wouldn't be surprised if it does end up being a flat that they own or if it ends up being a project house or something with a yard/garden (that we only see when the project is completed).

I also keep wondering why that fell apart. I'm sure we didn't get anything close to the real story. I wonder how much of it had to do with deciding they didn't want to invite us into the building process of separate rooms if Dan was already putting his mind toward eventually coming out? Even if he was still years away from it that would have been yet another solid commitment to the glass closet, harder to quietly undo than the setup they did go with.
casualsun
delia smith

rizzo wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 2:47 pm
I think just given their propensity to not drive... they'll still be close-to or in London. Granted, maybe they have fewer meetings these days and another location might be appealing. But then again... Yeah. They don't drive. Phil's also mentioned wanting a bit of grass, but both love a penthouse/glass walls situation, so I imagine a rooftop garden is a must.

But all that being said, I've begun to lean into the idea that they've spent months - if not years at this point - gutting and completely renovating a forever home to fit their exact specifications. They've had the time, they have the money, and they've been in this flat long enough. They've also talked about renovating a place (for a show, but still, it's clearly a concept they're open to) and having the inside of a penthouse completely remodeled means they can film and post occasional photos of the inside of it without anyone ever being able to uncover where that home is. Plus, Dan loves himself a bit of design.

Maybe this is just me projecting my hopes and wishes onto them, but it just seems the best route for them to take and it also makes me hopeful that we'd be allowed to see inside their home a bit more because they're comfy knowing we have no idea where it is.
I could definitely see them building or renovating a home. I wouldn’t be too surprised if they’ve been doing that while living in the current flat.

One of my favorite guilty pleasure tv shows is Grand Designs, and I’m just thinking how much I would love for them to be on that. I know they never would bc privacy, but it brings me joy to imagine it.
snoopysadie

casualsun wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 4:29 pm

I could definitely see them building or renovating a home. I wouldn’t be too surprised if they’ve been doing that while living in the current flat.

One of my favorite guilty pleasure tv shows is Grand Designs, and I’m just thinking how much I would love for them to be on that. I know they never would bc privacy, but it brings me joy to imagine it.
I was talking to a friend who watches dnp and told her about moving hill, and she was of the opinion that for people like them, with an audience, having a "forever home" would be next to impossible because people would eventually find where they live.
But after reading all of you, I think it's very likely that they would have a space for filming exclusively and a living space, and would never show us the latter in videos/in detail.

My biggest concern is if they could actually afford it given that Dan's videos, the gaming channel and stuff aren't part of the income anymore but I guess sharing one of everything and all they've done has actually left them well-off.

Is it just me who doesn't really wrap her mind around the idea that dnp are actually rich? Idk why, maybe because they don't flaunt it around, or maybe because I just don't pay enough attention... I did rewatch this vid

and he is literally sponsored by Disney so... it's just me, probably.
Also, it's that same vid, at around minute 8, where he talks about them buying that house and doing their own makeover home edition thingy.

(edit to correct gaming channel)
Last edited by lefthandedism on Thu Aug 06, 2020 7:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: fixed youtube embed
"I remember it, too"
rizzo
unduly facetious
unduly facetious

snoopysadie wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 6:02 pm

I was talking to a friend who watches dnp and told her about moving hill, and she was of the opinion that for people like them, with an audience, having a "forever home" would be next to impossible because people would eventually find where they live.
But after reading all of you, I think it's very likely that they would have a space for filming exclusively and a living space, and would never show us the latter in videos/in detail.

My biggest concern is if they could actually afford it given that Dan's videos, the gaming channel and stuff aren't part of the income anymore but I guess sharing one of everything and all they've done has actually left them well-off.

Is it just me who doesn't really wrap her mind around the idea that dnp are actually rich? Idk why, maybe because they don't flaunt it around, or maybe because I just don't pay enough attention... I did rewatch this vid https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AMGMwTL_y1M
Also, it's that same vid, at around minute 8, where he talks about them buying that house and doing their own makeover home edition thingy.

Dan and Phil are painfully, painfully rich. Aside from money pouring in from video content old and new (remember that they still get regular revenue from every video on their channel), they own a company that develops and sells merch for themselves and other creators, they made several thousand dollars off of each live show they used to do on top of the likely contract they had to do said liveshows with YouNow, they've had sponsorships as you mentioned with the likes of Disney and Tinder (and have probably been very picky about them, which screams $$$ to me), they made money from books, from radio, from hosting events, from the incalculable amount of merch sold on tour, and this is all just what comes to mind for me right now. They also probably invest in places we're not even aware of.

When you consider that youtubers with half their followers and engagement are buying multi-million dollar mansions, you realize that Dan and Phil are..... so, so rich. They also get shit they would have bought anyway for free (see: their Nintendo Switches) which probably saves them a couple hundred here and there.

They can afford whatever living space they want. Just... just wanted to throw that out there 'cause I think about it more than I'd like to. :lol:

On the note of whether they'd split their filming/living space.. I honestly think that's what they tried to do with this place. One flat was meant to be a filming space only (they even mentioned shit like not wanting to carry lights). But they're our lovely, lazy boys who didn't want to leave their couch. So, slowly, we started getting liveshows from the moon room. And then Phil moved from the grey couch to the kitchen table. And then we had a muckbang on the living room floor. They're really bad at keeping that split going, in my opinion. So I think they've gotta figure out a better solution. But maybe that's just me lol.
glitterintheair
phillluminati

I think they could easily solve the problem by having designed spaces for filming purposes only in the same house/flat they’d live in. Like, a room for AP vids - and.. one for Dan (IF he still plans to upload something, that is. Otherwise he would not even need it).
I'm a winter flower underground, always thirsty for summer rain.
marianeedsnihilism
tol bean

Ugh this video made me ~soft~

I don’t remember the last time I’ve actually laughed out loud at a video and this one had me doing it so much (“Name? Steve...OH you meant MY name not the pigeons” like LMAO).

I think I like the idea that DnP need assigned filing spaces within their home. Especially if they wanna keep that separation. I know I’d hate having to go somewhere else entirely and still film “authentic” content. Also I’m lazy.

Daniel, I’ve missed your voice and that’s the amount of embarrassment I felt when I gasped at your laugh makes me want to sue you for emotional distress.
Catallena
classy cat lady
classy cat lady

I don't particularly care for cheese (it's fine idk) and avocado isn't for everyone I guess (he's still wrong tho) bUT STRAWBERRIES??? Like sure fuck strawberry flavored things are kinda meh, but had this man has never tasted a fresh beautiful red sweet juicy strawberry on a sunny day in June? I am offended on the behalf of strawberries.
Twitter *•.(★).•* Tumblr
Phanshy
cheeky #spon

I love cheese especially melty cheese. I've never tried avocado for a weird reason the book the avocado baby put me off the idea of trying it even though it's very pro avocado, I have weird food issues. I'm here for everything strawberry real or fake it's my default choice for most things
Morganaa
drama llama

rizzo wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 6:24 pm

Is it just me who doesn't really wrap her mind around the idea that dnp are actually rich? Idk why, maybe because they don't flaunt it around, or maybe because I just don't pay enough attention... I did rewatch this vid https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AMGMwTL_y1M

Dan and Phil are painfully, painfully rich. Aside from money pouring in from video content old and new (remember that they still get regular revenue from every video on their channel), they own a company that develops and sells merch for themselves and other creators, they made several thousand dollars off of each live show they used to do on top of the likely contract they had to do said liveshows with YouNow, they've had sponsorships as you mentioned with the likes of Disney and Tinder (and have probably been very picky about them, which screams $$$ to me), they made money from books, from radio, from hosting events, from the incalculable amount of merch sold on tour, and this is all just what comes to mind for me right now. They also probably invest in places we're not even aware of.

When you consider that youtubers with half their followers and engagement are buying multi-million dollar mansions, you realize that Dan and Phil are..... so, so rich. They also get shit they would have bought anyway for free (see: their Nintendo Switches) which probably saves them a couple hundred here and there.

They can afford whatever living space they want. Just... just wanted to throw that out there 'cause I think about it more than I'd like to. :lol:

On the note of whether they'd split their filming/living space.. I honestly think that's what they tried to do with this place. One flat was meant to be a filming space only (they even mentioned shit like not wanting to carry lights). But they're our lovely, lazy boys who didn't want to leave their couch. So, slowly, we started getting liveshows from the moon room. And then Phil moved from the grey couch to the kitchen table. And then we had a muckbang on the living room floor. They're really bad at keeping that split going, in my opinion. So I think they've gotta figure out a better solution. But maybe that's just me lol.
Well, i guess you dont really know reality that much. Im pretty sure they're a lot less rich than everyone seems to think here, that they have millions and millions and millions. A lot of people in that industry are actually struggling to get by, even when they try to make extra money by having a company. Im not saying they're poor(mosg likely not), but videos renenue isnt that much. Right now they're probably living off sponsorships, etc. If they buy a house, theh most likely buy it from savings they collected earlier. I dont know why everhone here seems that they're recognizable, so they must be extremely rich. Well, this is reality, not a fairytale. I dont know, but basing on my experience im guessing their income is much less thsn you think
snoopysadie

Morganaa wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 10:22 pm

Well, i guess you dont really know reality that much. Im pretty sure they're a lot less rich than everyone seems to think here, that they have millions and millions and millions. A lot of people in that industry are actually struggling to get by, even when they try to make extra money by having a company. Im not saying they're poor(mosg likely not), but videos renenue isnt that much. Right now they're probably living off sponsorships, etc. If they buy a house, theh most likely buy it from savings they collected earlier. I dont know why everhone here seems that they're recognizable, so they must be extremely rich. Well, this is reality, not a fairytale. I dont know, but basing on my experience im guessing their income is much less thsn you think
i'm still thinking about this: maybe when they did both tours they also used up a LOT of their savings? and japhan 2.0 and that whole thing during II where they spent so much money trying to get into that one country? I don't remember where.
i literally have no clue but i never skip on phil's ads just in case ?)

as part Italian i'm like: how can you not like cheese? i don't go vegan because i love cheese more than breathing.
"I remember it, too"
rizzo
unduly facetious
unduly facetious

Morganaa wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 10:22 pm

Their businesses' finances are quite literally public. And those businesses hold millions.

But I'm not naive enough to assume that that reflects on their personal finances. That being said, I feel like we know enough about them to understand that they live (relatively) below their means at the moment and the way they've spoke about renting in the past and the ways in which we know they shop really highlights that. (But perhaps not the bit where they're still renting 2 fucking flats but I digress.)

I'm by no means suggesting their fame/recognizability alone makes them rich. I'm suggesting their profound success on the internet does. Few youtubers had/have/hold the kind of engagement that DnP do. The kind of engagement that brings in views the second they post something, even if it's been weeks. The kind of engagement where they sell out of merch when they announce it (I mean it's been a minute since this has happened, but that's understandable given the circumstances). They helped pioneer the kind of touring that they did and the kind of youtube-specific business they conduct (IRL merch, ownership of their sponsorships, the way they work with their management, etc). Hank & John Green have spoken highly of them in that capacity.

Their income now may not be what it was in 2016, but I think it's safe to assume they've invested the money they made in the last decade and that money is making its own money in some capacity. Current income does not represent financial health. If you have a significant amount of money and you know how to work with it, that's enough to still very much be "rich". So them buying/owning a house from their savings...... yes. That is what most people do. They're still rich. That house is something they own of significant monetary value.

I just think it's pretty safe to say Dan and Phil are very much.... not struggling.
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

I think Louise is a good example to look at - she's fairly open about her financial situation. She's a youtuber who does about the same amount of sponsorships as Phil and her videos get about half of what Phil's do. She has written a few books, like Dan and Phil, She hasn't done any stage shows since the great Gleam fiasco but has done signings and appearances like Dan and Phil just on a less worldwide scale.

In the past year she purchased a house and she takes regular trips across the world (when not in dystopian times) - far more traveling and holidays than Dan and Phil. She fixed up a house that was in her family and is renting it below market value because she says she can, she's financially stable enough. She's giving away 100% of royalties from her latest book to a charity because again, she said she can - she's financially stable enough. She's also talked about having accounts set up for both of her children that she feeds in regularly. She has a whole video with Marcus Butler where they talk about how they made good investments in property.

Dan and Phil aren't nearly as transparent as Louise with personal finances but I'd say between the fact that they cleared over six million last year between their three channels and they've had the same opportunities to invest as Louise, surely, that they're probably well into the position of their money making them money and are pretty damn rich.