Dan & Phil Part 95: ASS (Aquarium Staff Seminar)

Our two favourite full time internet nerds who never go outside!
Catallena
classy cat lady
classy cat lady

starwatersong wrote: Tue Aug 11, 2020 5:08 pm :shock:
This heatwave is killing me, so really the only thing I could think reading that was 'same'. Most valid thing he has tweeted in months tbh. He can stick his ice cubes wherever he wants.

And oops I hadn't reacted to Phil's video yet. I had kinda low expectations from the title, but I was proven wrong. I was thoroughly entertained. And also crying a bit because of course THEY would be trying to figure out the song together and then THEY decide to contact PJ so that THEY can sing it. Don't you dare forget that Dan and Phil are together in every sense of the world or they will remind you. :love2:
Twitter *•.(★).•* Tumblr
noodlebum
flower crown

Scratchy
Phanshy
cheeky #spon

I hate that my immediate thought was a Ice lolly would be easier, at least he's communicating semi regularly, I don't want to get my hopes up that he's ready to talk about the project or this is a new norm we should get use to
masterofgeometry
squish
Pronouns: she/her

starwatersong wrote: Tue Aug 11, 2020 5:08 pm :shock:
👁👄👁 ʷʰᵃᵗ
flarequake
not an airport stalker
Pronouns: She/her

Well, he definitely got engagement with that one. I have such an easy imagination, I don’t entirely love such tweets, wonder what Mr Ice Cube himself thought of Seth Everman at-ing him in Dan’s replies. Consent, huh. As kinks go I’ve not even heard of it, it seems too everyday tbh. I mean, just text Phil if you can’t be bothered to get up and go to the freezer yourself, Daniel :roll:

I also loved Phil’s video and am wondering what they might be leading us up to. Love you, but don’t entirely trust you, boys :tu:
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

I needed this laugh today.
yellowsubmarine
hobbit hair

Oh poor thing.. though I can understand if your only knowledge of dnp is their yt channels and nothing else i can see why they're concerned... but the story is still so damn funny 😂
"Treat yourself, because you're special and you're worth it."
flarequake
not an airport stalker
Pronouns: She/her

Me doing that ‘woman tries to work out how it all adds up’ meme face cos when did Dan mention Switzerland :hmmm: Not that that’s the point, but still I wonder if I forgot something. How did they extrapolate a Fernando that far from Dan’s Animal Crossing village of Danando’s? Again assuming that’s where it came from. I forget some of our fellow audience only follow them on YouTube, those poor uninformed beans.
snoopysadie
pumpkin spice pumpkin cookie

alittledizzy wrote: Wed Aug 12, 2020 2:41 pm I needed this laugh today.
this has the same energy as teen me when I asked a friend in 2013 if dnp were gay and she said "nah, they both have girlfriends". And I just bought it.
Heteronormativity is honestly astounding. Also lmao, I stan Fernando and Phil now. Who is Daniel?
"I still remember... the first day I met you."
"I remember it, too"
kavat
pastel persona

#phernando 4-ever!!
Catallena
classy cat lady
classy cat lady

:happytears:

Sometimes I'm just overwhelmed by how proud I am. Now it's too hot for that, so a crying emoji will have to do.
Twitter *•.(★).•* Tumblr
inanerat
eclipse shirt
Pronouns: he/she/they

Very random but I had the need to share that I had a dream last night where deppy made a video where they tried to make a cake in an instant pot cause it was some sort of internet trend? It wasn't even a holiday Phil was just feeling chaotic and wanted to make cake. Apparently I really miss joint content enough to make my own in my sleep. :(
:transheart: :transheart: :transheart:
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

inanerat wrote: Fri Aug 14, 2020 2:23 am Very random but I had the need to share that I had a dream last night where deppy made a video where they tried to make a cake in an instant pot cause it was some sort of internet trend? It wasn't even a holiday Phil was just feeling chaotic and wanted to make cake. Apparently I really miss joint content enough to make my own in my sleep. :(
Please forward this video concept to amazingphil at gmail dot com....

(If I had a gif if him saying that email address from amazingdan i would insert it here but I'm too lazy for that.)

I'm just craving another non-sit-down style video. Phil's kinda spoiled me with the pigeon one and the house plants. He doesn't need to go out of his way for it, even. He can use what's around him. I mean... can we get a closet tour? A games shelf tour? A bookshelf tour? Or if he wants to do sit down videos - a top ten queer movies recs! Keep diving into that pool of things he wasn't able to talk about before the coming out videos!

If he wants to promo another income source I'd love a "behind the scenes of running a merch shop" or what goes into the process of designing merch.

Anyway, I love Phil.
Catallena
classy cat lady
classy cat lady

HAPPY TWO YEARS SINCE THIS BEAST OF A LIVESHOW <3

Includes iconic moments like Dan crushing on the Canadian border agent and Phil not knowing how old Dan is.

Rize might have been utter garbage as an app, but it really gave us some fucking #content and I'm glad to have lost several nights of sleep for it. :stan:
Twitter *•.(★).•* Tumblr
inanerat
eclipse shirt
Pronouns: he/she/they

alittledizzy wrote: Fri Aug 14, 2020 4:16 pm
inanerat wrote: Fri Aug 14, 2020 2:23 am Very random but I had the need to share that I had a dream last night where deppy made a video where they tried to make a cake in an instant pot cause it was some sort of internet trend? It wasn't even a holiday Phil was just feeling chaotic and wanted to make cake. Apparently I really miss joint content enough to make my own in my sleep. :(

(If I had a gif if him saying that email address from amazingdan i would insert it here but I'm too lazy for that.)

I'm just craving another non-sit-down style video. Phil's kinda spoiled me with the pigeon one and the house plants. He doesn't need to go out of his way for it, even. He can use what's around him. I mean... can we get a closet tour? A games shelf tour? A bookshelf tour? Or if he wants to do sit down videos - a top ten queer movies recs! Keep diving into that pool of things he wasn't able to talk about before the coming out videos!

If he wants to promo another income source I'd love a "behind the scenes of running a merch shop" or what goes into the process of designing merch.

Anyway, I love Phil.
Realistically, for a few reasons, I don't know if it would actually happen but a closet tour would have the potential to be a fantastic video? Like first of all while Phil has already mostly exhausted his closet joke allowance with the iconic vid from COTY buT who doesn't love more closet jokes. Like 'Let's see what's in here, it's certainly not me!' Also would be a great excuse to do something like sorting out old stuff to pass on, kind of like he did in one of the liveshows a few months ago. Would also work great to sort unneeded stuff out of the closet to... you know... get ready to... move?? (shhh I didn't say anything)

This has also made me realize how badly I still want a sequel to Viewers Choose My Outfits. Please,,,

Another fun video I could see (appropriate with the name of this thread) would be like a norman tank cleaning vlog? ASS style. I grew up with fish and doing the big cleaning is quite the ordeal, it could make for interesting content. Although it would be tricky to not show the kitchen sink and it seems like a lot of people in the youtube comments like to backseat fish parent and idk if that makes Phil anxious.
:transheart: :transheart: :transheart:
snoopysadie
pumpkin spice pumpkin cookie

inanerat wrote: Sat Aug 15, 2020 12:19 am

Anyway, I love Phil.
Realistically, for a few reasons, I don't know if it would actually happen but a closet tour would have the potential to be a fantastic video? Like first of all while Phil has already mostly exhausted his closet joke allowance with the iconic vid from COTY buT who doesn't love more closet jokes. Like 'Let's see what's in here, it's certainly not me!' Also would be a great excuse to do something like sorting out old stuff to pass on, kind of like he did in one of the liveshows a few months ago. Would also work great to sort unneeded stuff out of the closet to... you know... get ready to... move?? (shhh I didn't say anything)

This has also made me realize how badly I still want a sequel to Viewers Choose My Outfits. Please,,,

Another fun video I could see (appropriate with the name of this thread) would be like a norman tank cleaning vlog? ASS style. I grew up with fish and doing the big cleaning is quite the ordeal, it could make for interesting content. Although it would be tricky to not show the kitchen sink and it seems like a lot of people in the youtube comments like to backseat fish parent and idk if that makes Phil anxious.
I kinda really need to know if dnp have seen Queer as folk UK/US.

And really want more vloggy content too. They don't need to show their house too much, just some movement. The viewers suggest options so my bf can pick my outfits 2 sounds AMAZING.

I also kinda want phil to make a video about Muse or Buffy, like ranking his faves and talking about them in detail. Is that dumb? maybe but i still want it. i want to see his face light up when he talks about something he loves.
"I still remember... the first day I met you."
"I remember it, too"
casualsun
delia smith

Anyway, I love Phil.
I actually love the idea of a video about designing merch! I think it would be really fun.

I also agree with everyone that a non-sit-down video is the way to go. My two favorite recent Phil videos are cake baking and float tank, which involved him getting out of his depressing corner and doing different things. I especially loved the float tank video, although covid has kind of hindered any other content like that.
firsttimeposter
living flop

this is quite irrelevant, but I’ve been wondering - do y’all think Phil used that email alter-ego ‘snowdude’ exemplified in his tinder video not to talk to girls being a ‘hot surfer dude’ but instead anonymously mailing guys before coming out? I feel like him texting a girl that age is highly unlikely lmao.
Megancita75
ar·tic·u·late

Birdie
blobfish
Pronouns: they/them

firsttimeposter wrote: Sat Aug 15, 2020 1:44 pm this is quite irrelevant, but I’ve been wondering - do y’all think Phil used that email alter-ego ‘snowdude’ exemplified in his tinder video not to talk to girls being a ‘hot surfer dude’ but instead anonymously mailing guys before coming out? I feel like him texting a girl that age is highly unlikely lmao.
I rewatched that the other day and wondered the same thing. But I'm not sure how certain Phil was of his sexuality way back then. He also mentioned having a girlfriend for like three days or something in one of his older videos where he's reading through his old chat logs from when he was 13-ish (I think). Might be he twisted that a little because he wasn't ready to come out yet, might also be he actually did flirt with girls/ have girlfriends at a younger age before he really knew he was gay. Maybe he'll clear this up one day, maybe he won't, it's up to him of course, but I've been thinking about these girlfriend mentions too.
Templeofshame
rainbow nerd

Katka wrote: Sun Aug 16, 2020 8:18 pm
firsttimeposter wrote: Sat Aug 15, 2020 1:44 pm this is quite irrelevant, but I’ve been wondering - do y’all think Phil used that email alter-ego ‘snowdude’ exemplified in his tinder video not to talk to girls being a ‘hot surfer dude’ but instead anonymously mailing guys before coming out? I feel like him texting a girl that age is highly unlikely lmao.
I rewatched that the other day and wondered the same thing. But I'm not sure how certain Phil was of his sexuality way back then. He also mentioned having a girlfriend for like three days or something in one of his older videos where he's reading through his old chat logs from when he was 13-ish (I think). Might be he twisted that a little because he wasn't ready to come out yet, might also be he actually did flirt with girls/ have girlfriends at a younger age before he really knew he was gay. Maybe he'll clear this up one day, maybe he won't, it's up to him of course, but I've been thinking about these girlfriend mentions too. But overall I get the sense that he was big on spinning things in a straighter way but not fully lying about them?
Didn't he talk specifically in COTY about his week-long girlfriends and how "when it got to the kissing, it was pretty obvious I wasn't interested"? I mean, personally I don't think he'd have reason to actively perpetuate those if they were lies (and I also think it's a pretty common experience for closeted queer people around that age to try to emulate the socially-accepted teen behavior around them, so I don't see it as unlikely). I think the vid is pretty clear about it?

"But being forced into silence, and not being able to have fun or just do all the things that my straight friends were doing made me really sad. All my friends are having first girlfriends, and first kisses. And I just felt really left out, and weird. I even thought that if I tried to be straight, it would just magically fix me and everything would be fine. I even had some girlfriends… Some, two, for a while. A while, a week each. (laughs)

I mean it didn’t last very long. Because when it got to the kissin’, it was pretty obvious I wasn’t interested."

I mean, he certainly could have flirted with guys online, but like the girl with the story where she ends up kissing another guy at a movie and he ends up being good friends with the other guy (apart from I think it being commonly accepted who that friend is) seems to be a believable story that makes sense as about a girl he was trying to perform heterosexuality with briefly. I'm not sure if there are specific stories that would make sense as guys or just as being invented for closet purposes.
Secretstanner
truth bomb

Katka wrote: Sun Aug 16, 2020 8:18 pm
I rewatched that the other day and wondered the same thing. But I'm not sure how certain Phil was of his sexuality way back then. He also mentioned having a girlfriend for like three days or something in one of his older videos where he's reading through his old chat logs from when he was 13-ish (I think). Might be he twisted that a little because he wasn't ready to come out yet, might also be he actually did flirt with girls/ have girlfriends at a younger age before he really knew he was gay. Maybe he'll clear this up one day, maybe he won't, it's up to him of course, but I've been thinking about these girlfriend mentions too.
See this is hard because phil over the years has said white lies or changed pieces of stories when it comes to dating. For obvious reasons, he did what he had to do. We now know phil said he knew he was gay around the age of 12. But still being very young I don’t think it’s impossible that maybe phil confused wanting to be friends with some of these girls as maybe crushes. Sexuality is very confusing and even as a adult you can find yourself thinking “hang on am I attracted to this person even though I’m gay?” As it has been said he tried to be straight which is probably the case.

I have to be honest I havnt watched the tinder video since 2017 so I can’t remember the emails but I did watch his old chat log videos not that long ago. I remember in one of them maybe ‘The breakup’ he talks about the girl he “liked” went to the cinema to see final destination 3 and kissed someone else. The movie came out in 2006 phil would of been 19. Not early teen years like he said in the video. I feel like his reaction to girl kissing someone else was very real. Now this could be because he had a crush/thought he had a crush/or that he was genuinely hurt that someone would do that to him/or he was confused with his actual feelings towards her. I still feel like phil misses out parts even with today in his coming out video they conflict other things but it’s not for me to question.

Now yes I think it’s possible that he was talking to guys at the time. I would love phil to do a follow up video about it because I think it would be funny now 2020 looking back at the emails. He can only tell us his true thoughts and feelings at the time.
Templeofshame
rainbow nerd

Secretstanner wrote: Mon Aug 17, 2020 1:03 am I remember in one of them maybe ‘The breakup’ he talks about the girl he “liked” went to the cinema to see final destination 3 and kissed someone else. The movie came out in 2006 phil would of been 19. Not early teen years like he said in the video.
This is super interesting, and obviously there are lots of inaccuracies in things but like... 19? Even if Phil was potentially inexperienced and immature at 19, does anyone else in the story's behavior make sense? And did 19 year olds talk like that? I don't know, maybe I'm just enough younger to think he would've had to be younger, but also, then he would've been at York, bragging to people about having all the sex, and maybe not far from coming out to people, if other things he's said are true? (Bragging about having all the sex doesn't seem super compatible with asking for kissing lessons to me.) And then would the "girlfriend" be at York too, since they're clearly not long-distance, so this would all be uni friends? (And he wouldn't have been using dial-up in 2006 at uni, right?)

I wonder why he would perpetuate the idea of his week-long early teen girlfriends and that believable emotional narrative in COTY if it's not fundamentally true (even if the details aren't). Obviously everyone's experiences are different, but it feels more true as a young teenage story and hard to wrap my head around trying to relate it to my experience of being awkward and inexperienced at uni-age/19. (If he meant Final Destination, that came out when he was 13, or 2 came out when he was 16, which seems much more feasible to me.)
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

Jenna and Julien are ending their podcast, and Jenna saying "I'm just... being a person right now." is such strong Dan vibes.

I'll miss Jenna and Julien too, just like I miss joint deppy content, but the same way I feel happy for Dan I also find myself feeling happy for Jenna. I hope they're both getting to enjoy just being people.
Birdie
blobfish
Pronouns: they/them

Templeofshame wrote: Sun Aug 16, 2020 9:49 pm Didn't he talk specifically in COTY about his week-long girlfriends and how "when it got to the kissing, it was pretty obvious I wasn't interested"? I mean, personally I don't think he'd have reason to actively perpetuate those if they were lies (and I also think it's a pretty common experience for closeted queer people around that age to try to emulate the socially-accepted teen behavior around them, so I don't see it as unlikely). I think the vid is pretty clear about it?

"But being forced into silence, and not being able to have fun or just do all the things that my straight friends were doing made me really sad. All my friends are having first girlfriends, and first kisses. And I just felt really left out, and weird. I even thought that if I tried to be straight, it would just magically fix me and everything would be fine. I even had some girlfriends… Some, two, for a while. A while, a week each. (laughs)

I mean it didn’t last very long. Because when it got to the kissin’, it was pretty obvious I wasn’t interested."

I mean, he certainly could have flirted with guys online, but like the girl with the story where she ends up kissing another guy at a movie and he ends up being good friends with the other guy (apart from I think it being commonly accepted who that friend is) seems to be a believable story that makes sense as about a girl he was trying to perform heterosexuality with briefly. I'm not sure if there are specific stories that would make sense as guys or just as being invented for closet purposes.
Ah, yes. I only watched that video once and I had totally forgotten that he had adressed it already. I'll rewatch it. Thank you! (And, same. I actually dated men well into my twenties for much the same reasons.)
Temple of Shame wrote:I wonder why he would perpetuate the idea of his week-long early teen girlfriends and that believable emotional narrative in COTY if it's not fundamentally true (even if the details aren't). Obviously everyone's experiences are different, but it feels more true as a young teenage story and hard to wrap my head around trying to relate it to my experience of being awkward and inexperienced at uni-age/19. (If he meant Final Destination, that came out when he was 13, or 2 came out when he was 16, which seems much more feasible to me.)
I honestly think it's this. He probably got confused which movie it actually was, that would make the most sense.