Dan & Phil Part 95: ASS (Aquarium Staff Seminar)

Our two favourite full time internet nerds who never go outside!
lefthandedism
simply stressed bisexual
simply stressed bisexual
Pronouns: she/her

It's time to think in earnest about names for the next thread and post your ideas here!

Suggestions will go into the next poll--be aware that if you submit more than one suggestion per poll, only the last one will be included.

It has been noted that while it is mid-August, the name of this thread is an April Fool's joke! Longevity might be something to bear in mind when proposing a thread name.

This current thread has taken the longest time by far. You might be surprised to know that four years ago, when IDB was new and the phandom was hopping, threads regularly lasted less than a week, some only a matter of days. If you ever are bored or miss that time, you can dip into old threads, all of which are here. An example of a classic thread with an evocative name is Dan & Phil Part 12: Stalking him until he loves you, which ran 22-28 May 2016.
"If you're left-handed, ask a friend."
"Why am I left-handed?"
"Everybody makes mistakes."
Susanisnotafish
flower crown
Pronouns: She/her

alittledizzy wrote: Mon Aug 17, 2020 5:26 pm Jenna and Julien are ending their podcast, and Jenna saying "I'm just... being a person right now." is such strong Dan vibes.

I'll miss Jenna and Julien too, just like I miss joint deppy content, but the same way I feel happy for Dan I also find myself feeling happy for Jenna. I hope they're both getting to enjoy just being people.
I wish that Dan would have been as honest as Jenna and I wish he would have expressed that he enjoyed the gaming channel and that he was sad it was ending the way she did. Jenna did say that maybe she and Julian would do something together in the future, but it seemed way more of a remote possibility than the way Dan made such a big deal about the DAPG thing just being a hiatus (and not like FOB). I just wish Dan had Jenna’s balls in a lot of ways. I am happy for him if he’s happy. I just miss him even though I watch multiple old vids of them every day still. Looking forward to whatever Dan does next and really enjoying Phil content.
"Rub those freckles all over me!" --Daniel Howell
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

Bless compilation makers.

rizzo
unduly facetious
unduly facetious

They're being real quiet the last few days... Not even a twitter like? Shady.
Amiaw
interactive introvert

rizzo wrote: Tue Aug 18, 2020 3:39 pm They're being real quiet the last few days... Not even a twitter like? Shady.
They both liked their friend Adam’s birthday post on Sunday along with some other things but have been completely silent on twitter. I’d like to say moving hill but it’s just as likely they got caught up playing a new game or something
kavat
pastel persona

alittledizzy wrote: Mon Aug 17, 2020 5:26 pm Jenna and Julien are ending their podcast, and Jenna saying "I'm just... being a person right now." is such strong Dan vibes.
This. The past year and a half is the first time he's been able to just exist as a person since he was a literal teenager. Everything he did and said for a decade was either under intense scrutiny, or was at the risk of being under intense scrutiny. Now, especially after BIG, he can allow himself to just exist, and maybe reframe in his mind what his life could actually look like outside of youtube and/or the dinof persona. I think it reflects in some of his tweets and replies, I think he's still trying to figure out what he wants his life to be.
Amiaw
interactive introvert

Personally I don’t think Dan and Jenna’s situations are that similar. Jenna is stepping away completely and Dan has been pretty clear that he still wants a career in entertainment but he’s looking for something different. He may not want to be on YouTube anymore but he did get an agent and he has been trying to get a project off the ground For some time. Interestingly, he’s still willing to be in the background on some of Phil’s videos and of course he’s done some streams so unless he says he’s done I’m thinking he’s just not sure or keeping his channel for big announcements.
Also, I don’t know if anyone mentioned this but Dan linked his shop to his YouTube page last week so he Still knows his password

(ETA: I was going to finish that last thought but I completely lost my train of thought lol.)
Megancita75
ar·tic·u·late

I have only watched a tiny percentage of Jenna's content, but I did listen to the final podcast and in addition to what everyone else pointed out, I was struck by her comment where she said something along the lines of "I'm getting the help I need." While there's no way to know what she was referring to -- that could mean self-care, friends, peers, experts -- it did make me wonder if there is like a cadre of therapists in Los Angeles who deal with the specific issues that public personalities might encounter and what exactly their modality might be to address some of those issues. Like, I imagine some of it might be a lot of counseling related to things like perfectionism and performance and insecurity and anxiety, but I also wonder if people who spend a lot of time in the public eye might also need help understanding their own identities and wants and needs. And in terms of social media stars, I almost wonder if there would like a niche specialty in helping people cope with the force of all those expectations and projections turned on you.

I'm happy for both Jenna and Dan if this stepping away from a part of their public lives has been nourishing for them and a time of discovery and of just being themselves within the boundaries of their own identities and consciousness, without other voices intruding. (And I'm not trying to make any blanket statements or assumptions about anyone's mental health or speculate about anyone's experiences; Jenna's comment just really got me into a train of thought about the psychology profession and actors/performers.)
starwatersong
phabergé

This is so true. 🥺
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

I made a post about this in his own thread but news is slow so I'm gonna post it here too...

I can't believe Adrian and his girlfriend, who are living a semi-nomadic life around Europe, just got a (non-fish) pet before Dan and Phil did.
Birdie
blobfish
Pronouns: they/them

alittledizzy wrote: Wed Aug 19, 2020 2:22 pm I made a post about this in his own thread but news is slow so I'm gonna post it here too...

I can't believe Adrian and his girlfriend, who are living a semi-nomadic life around Europe, just got a (non-fish) pet before Dan and Phil did.
I guess Dan and Phil are responsible enough to not get a pet they might not be able to care for properly due to traveling/work. :shrug: I don't like this at all. If they're really planning on travelling a lot, they should not have adopted a cat. How will they take it along? Or will it stay with someone else most of the time? How does that even work?

I don't doubt Dan and Phil will get a dog at some point when their schedules (and living situation) allows for it, I stan responsible kings.
Amiaw
interactive introvert

Katka wrote: Wed Aug 19, 2020 6:35 pm
alittledizzy wrote: Wed Aug 19, 2020 2:22 pm I made a post about this in his own thread but news is slow so I'm gonna post it here too...

I guess Dan and Phil are responsible enough to not get a pet they might not be able to care for properly due to traveling/work. :shrug: I don't like this at all. If they're really planning on travelling a lot, they should not have adopted a cat. How will they take it along? Or will it stay with someone else most of the time? How does that even work?

I don't doubt Dan and Phil will get a dog at some point when their schedules (and living situation) allows for it, I stan responsible kings.
From what I gather they found a stray kitten and are taking care of it but I did have the same thoughts about what they were going to do when they come back from Italy. I don’t know enough about bringing pets to a different country but I assume there’s paperwork and medical things to take care of.

Anyways I hope dnp do end up getting Norman a tank mate and that they let us in on it. I’m missing Normancam so if they do I hope phil brings liveshows back too
liola
rankussy

Honestly my only question is why is the Howell I don't care about the only one always in my country?
Will probably never be over the BONCAS and the beauty of Phil Lester.

Official Moving Hill Mayor
obvsly
#relatable

liola wrote: Wed Aug 19, 2020 8:04 pm Honestly my only question is why is the Howell I don't care about the only one always in my country?
What do you mean? Catbaiting doesn’t work? What’s wrong with you??

(Nothing’s wrong i love you haha)

(But seriously that cat is precious)
starwatersong
phabergé

Watching DanandPhilGames slip back under 3 million subscribers... ☹️
Secretstanner
truth bomb

starwatersong wrote: Thu Aug 20, 2020 5:34 am Watching DanandPhilGames slip back under 3 million subscribers... ☹️
Sad but not surprised. In conjunction with no new uploads so many people made fake accounts so we could get the 3 million subscriber video. So it’s probably a lot of accounts being deleted and people unsubbing.
glitterintheair
phillluminati

I mean.. I unsubbed too because the channel is dead so what’s the point lol
I'm a winter flower underground, always thirsty for summer rain.
rizzo
unduly facetious
unduly facetious

y'all... i so intensely miss proper dan&phil content today. it's one of those days for me, where the longing aches a little? ya know?

anyway. if you could share your favorite-video-most-people-probably-forgot-about, that could be fun. here's mine:
kavat
pastel persona

I was just thinking about what video I should rewatch today, thank you rizzo for that!

Here's my contribution, and one of my all time faves.
noodlebum
flower crown

rizzo wrote: Thu Aug 20, 2020 6:25 pm y'all... i so intensely miss proper dan&phil content today. it's one of those days for me, where the longing aches a little? ya know?

anyway. if you could share your favorite-video-most-people-probably-forgot-about, that could be fun. here's mine:
'Oh it's the chicken, watch out for your l-i-f-e' :lol: i always remember that line and how weirdly he delivered it
Scout
squish
Pronouns: She/Her

My favorite videos are ones where they play card games, one of my faves is the Santa Banter video! I don’t usually see people talk about it much, and it doesn’t have that many views compared to their other vids...I’m not sure how to include videos in posts lol :?
:lesbianflag:
rizzo
unduly facetious
unduly facetious

Scout wrote: Thu Aug 20, 2020 7:32 pm My favorite videos are ones where they play card games, one of my faves is the Santa Banter video! I don’t usually see people talk about it much, and it doesn’t have that many views compared to their other vids...I’m not sure how to include videos in posts lol :?
Here ya go:

And I definitely just watched it - my god that was enjoyable and brought back a lot of feels :happytears:
bdsmlester
smol bean

a classic i swear this video has gotten me through the worst days :,)
:dildo: zooted on main :dildo:
bluecaterpillar
pumpkin spice pumpkin cookie

i see santa banter has been mentioned already, so i'll say timore inferno.

i find this video funny rather than scary because of how hilariously weird the monsters and their sound effects are (and the game design in general really).
there’s not a star in heaven that we can’t reach
madzilla84
eclipse shirt

^ yes! I love the timore inferno vid; garbage game but so many good moments, often because of its crapness.

I rewatched this one yesterday and I always really enjoy it; I feel like the quick draw ones get more attention (they're great too!) but I love this one.

blackbirddan.tumblr.com