Dan & Phil Part 96: AmazingPhil (and his cameraman)

Our two favourite full time internet nerds who never go outside!
snoopysadie
pumpkin spice pumpkin cookie
Pronouns: she/her

well, that was a hell of a ride.
i am not exactly in my right mind right now so let's see what comes out:
i understand everyone has their own opinion on the book, and even though it made me a little sad to see people be so skeptical about the project, i understand why and actually, it was interesting to read everyone's thoughts and see how different your povs are to mine.

i imagine the book will be a mixture of All I know now by Carrie Hope Fletcher and a dinof video. There might be advice but it will probably most likely be a "what not to do" kind of thing. i don't know. poetry? i doubt it.
i would really like it if it was a character that he invented going through things that are veeery similar to what happened to him.

i am real excited. and i am 0% upset at dan for not being active, there are people who are just not good with social media, and dan was so vulnerable with us in BIG that i feel he didn't want to be here to read everything else that happened after, then his project got pushed and people kept asking so... yeah. shit happens. i hope he's okay.

and i really want more news but i keep myself busy with the rest of the things i got going so that i don't miss him when he doesn't post.

phil's video was nice. he needs to stop wanking phallic objects tho. like, i know you're gay phil, stop showing me plz.
"I still remember... the first day I met you."
"I remember it, too"
daichii
rainbow nerd
Pronouns: she | her

Im glad it wasnt merch. A book or any writing of any sort is what makes sense given how long he has self isolated from social media.
I'm not really excited and probably wont get it myself but i do think it'll be a good one and wish him the best since im sure it has the same intentions and heart as his coming out (which is a masterpiece); I mean he has almost completely disengaged his audience and has lost on a lot of cash opportunities while working on this project. Sucks that I really hate memoirs and motivation books.
actualsoulmates
dank meme

Description taken from https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B08HYKQYSL/ ... xFb412JX6Z

A practical guide to taking control of your mental health for today, tomorrow, and the days after, from the Sunday Times bestselling author and beloved entertainer

‘There’s a moment at the end of every day, where the world falls away and you are left alone with your thoughts. A reckoning, when the things you have been pushing to the background, come forward and demand your attention.’

Written by Daniel Howell, in conjunction with a qualified psychologist, in an entertaining and personal way from the perspective of someone who has been through it all – this no-nonsense book gives you the tools to understand your mind so you can be in control and really live. Split into three chapters for each stage of the journey:

This Night – how to get through your toughest moments and be prepared to face anything.
Tomorrow – small steps to change your thoughts and actions with a big impact on your life.
The Days After – help to look after yourself in the long term and not just survive, but thrive.

You will laugh and learn – but most of all, this book will assure you that even in your darkest times, there is always hope.

You will get through this night.
:prideheart2: once in twenty lifetimes :biheart:
rizzo
unduly facetious
unduly facetious

actualsoulmates wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 4:44 am Description taken from https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B08HYKQYSL/ ... xFb412JX6Z

A practical guide to taking control of your mental health for today, tomorrow, and the days after, from the Sunday Times bestselling author and beloved entertainer

‘There’s a moment at the end of every day, where the world falls away and you are left alone with your thoughts. A reckoning, when the things you have been pushing to the background, come forward and demand your attention.’

Written by Daniel Howell, in conjunction with a qualified psychologist, in an entertaining and personal way from the perspective of someone who has been through it all – this no-nonsense book gives you the tools to understand your mind so you can be in control and really live. Split into three chapters for each stage of the journey:

This Night – how to get through your toughest moments and be prepared to face anything.
Tomorrow – small steps to change your thoughts and actions with a big impact on your life.
The Days After – help to look after yourself in the long term and not just survive, but thrive.

You will laugh and learn – but most of all, this book will assure you that even in your darkest times, there is always hope.

:jd: I looooove the sound of this!! Especially that bit that says "in conjunction with a qualified psychologist".

It sounds like it's primarily positive and I just.... I'm excited! I'm excited for an uplifting Dan!!

Ugh. Y'all. We've almost made it to the other side of Dan's silence and it's lookin' up. :sobs:
Kurapika
pumpkin spice pumpkin cookie

actualsoulmates wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 4:44 am
lmao fuck my psychologist ass right? why am i studying to learn psychology, behavior analysis, spending lots of money on events and books and
time on study groups, if dan howell knows how to change thoughts and actions?

edit: says a psychologist is helping. i hope they're good 🤞
the candlelight by the crescent moon
starwatersong
phabergé

Yeah, I’m much happier to see someone with psych qualifications as part of the writing team.

And I loved Phil’s video. I in no way thought many of those things were not bought recently, but it was a nice trip down memory lane with added insights either way.
firsttimeposter
living flop

I’m incredibly, incredibly excited for this. Both the book, which sounds almost too good to be true in my opinion, and the excitement around the book from us lmao. I remember tabinof being released and not knowing what was gonna come from that, and now this? Let’s hope dan releases another video like “the making of tabinof” hah.

In all honesty I truly don’t really care which kind of book it is - anything creative from dan will get him my money. I’ve watched him for so long, and can’t imagine not being overtly excited when thinking of this project. And I am sad that it won’t be released for that long, but at least we’ll all have something to look forward to.

I could imagine it would be a book with real chapters and non-fiction writing, but perhaps with a poem/affirmation at the start of every chapter? I’d love that, the best of both worlds in my opinion.
firsttimeposter
living flop

Are we all ready for dans pinned tweet to be replaced though? And do we think he’ll announce it fr today? On a random Monday? Who knows..
pastelspectre
stress mushroom
Pronouns: he/him

I’m super excited for this book. I plan to buy it once I can.
:transheart:
daichii
rainbow nerd
Pronouns: she | her

actualsoulmates wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 4:44 am Description taken from https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B08HYKQYSL/ ... xFb412JX6Z

"A practical guide" damn i do hate those kinds of books. Im so sad that I cant enjoy this. Super happy for the rest of the fandom that are looking forward to this. I do think this kind of book can be a life saver for so many of his followers.
This does make me wonder about dans future projects after this book though.
Amiaw
interactive introvert

So how does Embrace The Void Ltd fit into this? It’s classified as performing arts so are we assuming he was going to give speeches based on this book or is there something else?
noodlebum
flower crown

This isn't my idea of a good time book-wise, really not something I enjoy, but good for Dan. I also hope it's not too preachy/'listen to me I know what I'm talking about'. If it was more about himself and his own experiences that's fine, but I'm not into positive affirmation/advice kind of books. I also hope he makes it clear he isn't a professional, and is more about personal experiences than general, but still not sure it's something I would want to read, and would likely make me feel worse not better!
But hey at least we finally know what he's been up to.
Phantasy
woodland creature

With foreword by renowned life holistic health coach, Adrian Howell.

Sorry, had to.
noodlebum
flower crown

Phantasy wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 6:23 am With foreword by renowned life holistic health coach, Adrian Howell.

Sorry, had to.
Nooooo
Phanshy
cheeky #spon

Phantasy wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 6:23 am With foreword by renowned life holistic health coach, Adrian Howell.

Sorry, had to.
I literally choked 😂

I'm really happy Dan's in a place to write this kind of book but the guide aspect is not appealing to me as someone who couldn't get on with therapy.
Mia
spork

Iirc there's been 2 other poems released right? Does anyone know if they fall into the same themes/categories as mentioned in the Amazon description? It could just be a poem per section like on the night, tomorrow and the days after.

Or it could just part of his promotion?When did he first put the poems out? Was that around the time of lockdown and the project being paused?
fieldoflovers
living flop

First off, it's been a long while, hope all of you are well.

I'll reserve judgement on the self help side of the book till we know more but I am excited to hear from him again.

I hope he records the audiobook so I can listen to him on a long rainy walk (or a long smokey walk the way things are going)<3

Anyway the title itself got me curious and I was wondering what inspired it so I googled songs with it and found a Michael Bublé song from November 2018 titled "Help Me Make It Through The Night". I know the appreciation Dan has for Michael Bublé has been ironic but it's a fitting song especially these lyrics.

Yesterday is dead and gone (yesterday is dead and gone)
And tomorrow's out of sight (and tomorrow's out of sight)
And it's sad to be alone
Help me make it through the night

I feel as though Dan is the type of person who would name a book after a song and this one seemed the most fitting.
glitterintheair
phillluminati

So, I woke up and read Dan’s tweet. Immediately assumed it was poetry. Came here, read the words “practical guide”, wanted to get back to sleep. Honestlyyyy... not a fan of self-help books, so I am pretty sure I won’t buy it because if there’s something I don’t need, it’s reading about mental health issues when I have to deal with them everyday anyway. Very glad to finally know what his project is, though.
I'm a winter flower underground, always thirsty for summer rain.
missemma
#teamshavedsides
#teamshavedsides

Just catching up with the posts.

That is deffo the filming flat in the ball. I love how people live for reflections because it’s always the small details.

Phils video was pretty boring in my eyes. I want more of the Phil from the pigeon video, the not so AP persona.

I AM HYPED FOR DANS BOOK. As someone who is struggling slightly at the moment, the words about the night being bad rings very true with me. It is something he had a lot of experience with and I can’t wait to hear how he copes and share tips with us. This is an exciting Monday.
:prideheart: :gayaf: :prideheart:
Megancita75
ar·tic·u·late

What I wonder is if he is still in the middle of writing this. From what I know about watching the Green brothers talk about their books is that it seems like the general book announcement comes at the beginning or middle of the writing process, after the pitch has been acquired by a publisher. Like it seemed like Hank was doing final edits up to the month or so before his latest book was released. So just wondering if it’s likely Dan and his co-author have a lot of writing ahead of them.
flarequake
not an airport stalker
Pronouns: She/her

I hope there’ll be some personal stuff in there, as much as he wants to share obviously, cos I was more intrigued by it being all that tbh. I’m curious if there’ll be much I haven’t come across or tried in over 20 years of it myself, and I’m tired of CBT-level stuff that’s way not deep enough and leaves out neuroscience and other things like NLP which have some really good techniques. Just knowing how our brains do things like build habits and knowing the different chemicals, honestly one video by How to ADHD told me more about those than any conventional therapist and I’ve seen a few, all good in what they did, but honestly, tell people more (by knowing it themselves and if they don’t, I can’t fathom it). From the title and info it doesn’t sound like it’s necessarily that deep, though that would be great.

Anyway, ‘I’ve been round this block too many times’ jaded rant over, I’m excited for this and for Dan. I don’t see him returning to YouTube, liveshows or anything, though. I still see a few people say that on Twitter and I don’t have the heart to say it.
liola
rankussy

Oh boy this sounds even less like something I would ever enjoy. I mean I'm glad it's along a qualified psychologist but that doesn't change the fact that mental health is such a personal journey and there is no one size fit all psychologist approach to it. Plus, I mean, I'm already paying thousands for my own therapist so I'll pass on this.

I'm more interested to know WHY he decided to write something like this to be honest. What was the decision process and what made him go from " I'm kind of a comedic entertainer " to "hold onto your horses I will teach you how to survive depression™" like to me that is.. weird. And yes I know he is technically a mental health ambassador but he hasn't Ambassador-ed much except two merch releases and a campaign :shrug:

Anyway. Glad for everyone, truly. I saw someone say they hope this will have the same vibe of his "calming and relaxing teach moments" of his liveshows and I think that's where I'm completely out of it because those always made me terribly anxious or dissociate and there isn't one single live show from Dan I've ever found calming or soothing so I guess that's why I have low expectations.

I'll be curious to know if he'll bow down to the marketing ways now and engage to promo, and for how long.
Will probably never be over the BONCAS and the beauty of Phil Lester.

Official Moving Hill Mayor
noodlebum
flower crown

He might do a little video once it's either fully announced or able to be pre-ordered or when actually released, explaining more about the book, why he's writing it, the process/journey etc... but I'm not expecting it for definite.
Phanshy
cheeky #spon

You can pre-order the kindle edition now £9.99
flarequake
not an airport stalker
Pronouns: She/her

My thoughts on why he went this route rather than it all being his personal journey is that this could help more people and he can be more private, or maybe there isn’t enough for 250 pages. I wrote down some stuff a while ago and honestly it was laughably short, like 20 years learning just these few things, I could write a page. Re-reading the info, it does say there’s his own perspective or however they worded it, so that’s good.

I’ve also seen Hank Green announce nearly a year before release, seems weird if it’s not even finished yet, idk how long the editing takes but I guess that can take a few passes.