Dan & Phil Part 96: AmazingPhil (and his cameraman)

Our two favourite full time internet nerds who never go outside!
Megancita75
ar·tic·u·late
Pronouns: she/her

I’m still interested in knowing more about the writing and publishing logistics. How much writing has he done and how much more is there to do, what is it like to co-write and collaborate with another author, does he have an existing relationship with this person or is it brand new, did he initiate this idea or did someone approach him after BIG?

I also wonder if this was the October project that got delayed or if that was something else entirely.
madzilla84
eclipse shirt

I preordered, I’m so excited! Not just for the book but for the (hopefully) content and information leading up to it. I’m sure he’ll post something about it today or very soon, since it’s already up for order! A video would be *wonderful* but I’ve no expectations, could be tweets or insta stories or anything really! I don’t generally read self help books around mental health - I have a couple - but given how Dan has handled approaching the issue in the past (like in Daniel and Depression, and his mentions in BIG), I trust him enough to at least give it a go and be reasonably confident I’ll enjoy it, as I know I enjoy his sense of humour (well, mostly lol). But of course, I won’t know for sure until I have it, as none of us will.

Which is not to say I’ve forgotten or *completely* gotten over how I feel/felt about his ‘break’ and how he went about it, I don’t think I’ve made much of a secret of it, but I’m - kinda pretty much in the place rizzo mentions above - I’ve posted about how I feel about it both here and elsewhere probably a dozen times in the last year, and I just had to decide to mostly let it go, because my choices were either do that, keep being angry all the time, or just stop supporting/following him, and while I understand anyone who makes the choice to move on from him, it wasn’t what I decided to do. I’m not saying I’ll never mention it again, lol, but I’ve just decided to, like - focus on what *is* happening (which admittedly has been nothing for a very long time). I *do* hope he’s back with more regularity beyond just promo-ing the book, but I also wouldn’t be at all surprised if he likes his new lifestyle around it all too much and goes quiet again. I wonder if that whole thing will get a mention in the book, and that's why he hasn't talked about it?

Also, I doubt this is the only thing he has going on … people have been talking about Dan’s “project” like it’s just One Thing he’s been focussed on, but I reckon there’s other stuff, too - the “performing arts” company, the stuff he was in LA for, the writing for Netflix (which might be the same thing); I reckon he has several irons in several fires and this is just the first thing to come (finally!) to fruition. I will say, though, I don’t feel like any of those are youtube (outside of videos promo-ing or attached to his other projects), but we’ll see I suppose. I would be really interested to know why he decided to go for a book rather than, say, a video series?
blackbirddan.tumblr.com
Judearaya
sofa crease

noodlebum wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 3:12 pm
alittledizzy wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 2:48 pm judearaya pointed out on tumblr that authors generally have little control over the blurb and that most publishing companies put out blurbs just to ensure the books are put into the right categories.

That makes me even more excited to potentially soon hear what the book is about in Dan's own words, whether he just tweets or does something on instagram or actually makes a video.
That's a good shout, some amazing books I've read have had dire blurbs that aren't even what the story is truly about.

I won't pre-order, I'll wait and see what people say here to decide if it's something I would enjoy reading.
Heyo, thanks Mandy!! Yeah I was about to hop in here and say things but I had to back read 4 pages LOL to catch up.

Yeah so, the last book I published, [which is no longer available bc of personal stuff involving my cowriter being an abusive/racist human that it took years for me to escape from, but that's a story for another day], the initial blurb was HORRIFIC. It was in first person present, written in a style like someone was speaking, from dual POV but that didn't even really match the story? Which was told in third person past? And like, we tried SO hard to get them to use another blurb and in the end the concession was to change the tense but not the content and it was INFURIATING bc it did not represent the book. That was with Entangled. With Interlude, they've been really good about letting authors have input but they have final say. There have been one or two times I did not agree with what they ended up choosing, but hey, I don't do marketing, so....
Megancita75 wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 3:25 pm I’m still interested in knowing more about the writing and publishing logistics. How much writing has he done and how much more is there to do, what is it like to co-write and collaborate with another author, does he have an existing relationship with this person or is it brand new, did he initiate this idea or did someone approach him after BIG?

I also wonder if this was the October project that got delayed or if that was something else entirely.
This I also find super interesting! I think if or when we find out of ARCs go out for review, we will be able to pinpoint a timeline. I am guessing this far ahead of release it *could* be in edits. However, because it also seems the release date was pushed off (i think probably twice from what we've seen), it could be done or just in final line edit stages? IDK. When we start seeing blurbs from other outlets or authors or whatever we'll know the ARC's went out.

Gah if only I was a reviewer for this genre (I review for LGBTQAI+ romance) I'd so work my ass off to get an early copy. Unless it goes up on Netgalley (a site where book reviewers can bid for early copies of books to review), then I totally will.
obvsly
#relatable

autumnhearth wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 1:29 pm Do I have some negative thoughts? Yes, and relates to this:

‘from the perspective of someone who has been through it all

I wish I had the receipts for this, but I remember being very bothered by Dan stating ‘if I can get through this, anyone can’. I’ll have to rewatch Daniel and Depression and the following liveshows later today, but it’s the type of white male privilege mixed hyperbole that really rubs me the wrong way and both Howell brothers do it. Yes, Dan has been through his own hell and it doesn’t do any good to compare levels of human suffering, I just hope that he is more careful with his language. :blackheart:
Ooh yes! Thank you for pointing this out. It’s the one point that’s sticking out to me as well. But as Jude said on tumblr and dizzy just mentioned, I think that part might not have been dan’s own choice of words. Or at least I hope not.

The comparison to Adrian is unavoidable, I guess, now that they are both in the mental health field. While I was left very skeptical with the direction Adrian chose to take his career, I think dan is trying his hardest not to come across that way.

I know we always make fun of him about his endless typos, but I think dan is normally obsessed with saying everything absolutely right while phil is more of a go with the flow guy. I think that’s why BIG script took over a year to finish and why The Memeing of Life felt so over edited that it nearly lost all the fun.

Dan knows he will be seen as Gay Youtuber Turned Mental Health Guru now and I’m sure he hates it even more than us. :lol: I can’t wait to see the first interviews he would have to do and answer these questions!
Kurapika
pumpkin spice pumpkin cookie

i will 100% support this book if it's one page only and says "1) find a psychologist 2) go to therapy 3) if necessary, also find a psychiatrist"
the candlelight by the crescent moon
rizzo
unduly facetious
unduly facetious

Here's my D&P-related conspiracy theory: The Goodreads leak was planted by Dan/his team to get the most dedicated fandom comfortable with the idea of a book before he even dropped it.

You can't really convince me otherwise.
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

Awww look at him living his pretentious trailer dreams! 2015 Dan heartbroken because his TABINOF trailer was trashed is living now.
rizzo
unduly facetious
unduly facetious

I know there's a really intense video and stuff. And like tweets and things. But, this headshot:

That is all.
Susanisnotafish
flower crown
Pronouns: She/her

Never mind
Last edited by Susanisnotafish on Mon Sep 14, 2020 4:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Rub those freckles all over me!" --Daniel Howell
plinthofmylife
janice from the shop

I am excited about the book, now. I really liked Hannah Hart's memoir and I hope that this might be an even funnier kinda take on a shit childhood/mental health.

I'm pretty stoked on the audio book if dan reads it. I love his voice and delivery.

Does anyone else kinda hate the video? It's so much boring stock footage. The writing is fine, but like... it looks like it was picked from any corporate stock video website.
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

I actually adore even more the juxtaposition between his last instagram post and this book announcement. Dan is Dan is Dan and he's the guy who will post a thirst trap pretending like it's a joke and also tweet unashamedly about wanting an ice cube up his ass and also want to give people unironic advice on their mental health because he's spent so long working on his work. They're all just... Dan. And he makes me smile.
Tornbetweenfandoms
glabella
Pronouns: She/her

rizzo wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 12:29 pm Two things I imagine will be in this book:
(1) Exercise. "I once tried to run a marathon. You don't have to do that..."
(2) Get off social media.

That latter point could be interesting insight into his disappearance, so I'm really looking forward to it.
liola wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 9:25 am I'm more interested to know WHY he decided to write something like this to be honest. What was the decision process and what made him go from " I'm kind of a comedic entertainer " to "hold onto your horses I will teach you how to survive depression™" like to me that is.. weird. And yes I know he is technically a mental health ambassador but he hasn't Ambassador-ed much except two merch releases and a campaign :shrug:
While I'm more inclined to think Dan wanted to write this regardless, it could also be possible that a professional in mental health or relevant publishing came to him after the success of his Depression video and suggested partnering on the book?

I could see Dan enthusiastically taking something like that on, knowing he could write this book with someone educated on the topic.

IDK. He probs was the one to pitch it, but I don't think it's far off from his interests and as long as he's got a psychologist with him on this, I'm pleased.
As far as his interests go, him and Phil have always said they were touched and inspired in your when people said they saved them/helped them when they were at their lowest. This doesn't seem that far from that!
sadgayclown.tumblr.com :lesbianheart:
casualsun
delia smith

So it sounds like the book has a focus on general well-being instead of mental illness-specific advice, which I love! I think everyone can benefit from taking care of their mind even if they don’t necessarily need the help of a professional. We can all dedicate time to our mental well-being even if we are in a great place, just like we know we should well and exercise even when we are physically healthy. The trailer seems to imply a mindfulness focus which will be interesting.
plinthofmylife
janice from the shop

I'm in media and I would not normally be on a PR list for an ARC of this, but I'm gonna try to get one....

(I'll still pre-order it because I want to support it and pre-orders are super important for authors).
Judearaya
sofa crease

I actually really loved that?
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

Some wholesome and very Dan replies going on.
Mia
spork

Yeah, I'll be pre-ordering as I really like these sort of books. I read Almost Adulting by Arden Rose as my friend got it me. Arden is also a youtuber but I didn't watch her prior.

Definitely too intrigued to get it!! Just trying to work out if I want signed copy or not
plinthofmylife
janice from the shop

I can't wait for content with dan's FACE in it. And OTHER PEOPLE.

Will he even remember the login to his youtube channel?
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

oh my god i stopped to work for a few minutes and he's still going, who is this man
simmehchan
butt chair

Soooo... book tour? Waiting for that for a video? Hm.

I'm excited for the book mostly to read his anecdotes and personal stories, to be honest. I hope the psychologist he writes with is trustworthy and gives good advice, given his audience skews younger.

EDIT: I also find it funny how Dan, Adrian and their Mum seem to all be going down the life/wellbeing advice route. Family business :lol:
Last edited by simmehchan on Mon Sep 14, 2020 4:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

"I think stalking someone to become their friend is rather weird" - Phil Lester, 2006
Phantasy
woodland creature

I'm wondering if he's gonna try to spin this into a lecture series... Imagine Dan the motivational speaker! Who would ever have thought.
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

And even more replies...
SquishPhan
capita£ester

I'm happy for Dan, but this is not my cup of tea so I won't be buying his book. The little trailer did not change my mind. :shrug:

As for him saying that he has plans to come back to youtube, I'm not holding my breath.
rizzo
unduly facetious
unduly facetious

alittledizzy wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 4:26 pm
ok but then what was the project for last october? 👀
plinthofmylife
janice from the shop

rizzo wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 4:50 pm ok but then what was the project for last october?
He said: