Dan & Phil Part 96: AmazingPhil (and his cameraman)

Our two favourite full time internet nerds who never go outside!
Megancita75
ar·tic·u·late
Pronouns: she/her

I've been to several therapists in my life, and in looking at some info about his co-author and her training and background, I wouldn't be surprised to get some info in this book about things like cognitive behavioral therapy and the connection between thoughts and emotions, self-compassion, self-soothing and self-care, neuropsychology in terms of what happens in your brain when under perceived threat, maybe some stuff about archetypes and narratives in our lives. In my experience, those are all pretty typical approaches of a talk therapist, and I think coupled with a personal story they can be pretty good tools for many people, especially people unfamiliar with some of those concepts. It's not going to be a magic bullet, as I'm sure Dan and his co-author are aware.

For their sakes, I hope it's a productive and fairly easy collaboration, because that's a whole other wrinkle for Dan to give over some creative control on a project.
sonicgreen
woodland creature

I’m happy for Dan! This may not be for me (i’ll wait until reviews are out) but it looks more promising and less pretentious(...?) than expected.
Nice to see you all on IDB again. I’ve enjoyed reading everyone’s initial takes! I hope everyone is happy and healthy. <3
Catallena
classy cat lady
classy cat lady

Since Dan is promoting the book now being up for pre-order on Amazon as well, I'm gonna bring my soapbox over from Twitter to here.

SUPPORT.

YOUR.

LOCAL.

BOOK.

STORES.

Thank you. :ribena:
Twitter *•.(★).•* Tumblr
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

Secretstanner
truth bomb

I swear I’ve been on a roller coaster of thoughts and feelings today. I’ve wrote two separate comments as the day went on but then something happened each time so I’ll start again and talk about how I feel. When I woke up this morning and saw that it was about. It was a huge nope from me. I feel differently now thankfully. I was hoping more than a tweet, I wanted maybe a short video or a q and a. But he answered a lot of questions so I can’t be mad. Still hoping we get more information. I’m considering buying the book more than before. It’s still a maybe I want to know more. As I said I don’t buy things like this for the sake of it(I still don’t own ii or watched it) I’m debating if I buy it when I’m payed or just wait till we know more. He pushed comedy part in the tweets which makes me like it more. Also he will be including parts of his story? I dunno.

I’m hoping it will be like big but also maybe the ‘what not to do at university’, “here’s something I went through antidotes then here’s what I’d do now” but that’s just me. I trust Dans ability not to cross any line I know others feel wary but i do think he has a great grasp on his audience and how we think and feel. So I’m excited just to hear from him. So do I think he’ll be making YouTube videos like he said? I mean I’m still waiting for the candle haul.
So I won’t except anything till at least before the book coming out and even then I won’t except anything after. Can’t be mad I’m just as bad when it comes to doing the things I want/say I will.
lefthandedism
simply stressed bisexual
simply stressed bisexual

Catallena wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 10:08 pm Since Dan is promoting the book now being up for pre-order on Amazon as well, I'm gonna bring my soapbox over from Twitter to here.

SUPPORT.

YOUR.

LOCAL.

BOOK.

STORES.

Thank you. :ribena:
ALSO.....if you don't want to buy the book, you can get it out of the library. Request your library to get it if you don't think they will! Library purchases count in promoting a book. :tu:
flarequake wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 9:40 pm I loved the video, I was glad to see at least one grey-haired person and I thought he describes the book well. The shots of him were appropriately moody, in a good way, they seemed real.
Oh, I love that grey-haired person doing yoga. :loveeyes:
"If you're left-handed, ask a friend."
"Why am I left-handed?"
"Everybody makes mistakes."
plinthofmylife
janice from the shop

It's nice with the really bad JKR book announcement today (she's publishing an 800-page transphobic book) to have a positive book announcement.

I'm excited to see how much ~~ content ~~ comes out of the promo. I suspect a round of press tours, and that will be a delight. Dan does really quite well with the press, generally, especially now he can be out. Will be interesting to see him without his Emotional Support Phil helping along.
rizzo
unduly facetious
unduly facetious

I find it really interesting, and maybe even telling, that Dan promoted his book everywhere today, except on the one platform that made him. Youtube.

Fascinating.
yellowsubmarine
hobbit hair

rizzo wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 11:34 pm I find it really interesting, and maybe even telling, that Dan promoted his book everywhere today, except on the one platform that made him. Youtube.

Fascinating.
It's funny, too, bc youtube replied to him on twitter.. as in heeey... aren't you forgeting something?? 😂
"Treat yourself, because you're special and you're worth it."
rizzo
unduly facetious
unduly facetious

yellowsubmarine wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 11:59 pm
rizzo wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 11:34 pm I find it really interesting, and maybe even telling, that Dan promoted his book everywhere today, except on the one platform that made him. Youtube.

Fascinating.
It's funny, too, bc youtube replied to him on twitter.. as in heeey... aren't you forgeting something?? 😂
Dan liking the tweet, but still not posting on youtube:

flarequake
not an airport stalker
Pronouns: She/her

I noticed that and wondered too. Would reach a yet wider audience, except that he has more twitter followers. Still :shrug:

I love the foot emoji in that ig story. For all the foot lovers and with the baby ref, well, babies kick and people like getting their hand and foot prints set in plaster, idk.
Susanisnotafish
flower crown

Now that I think about it, I guess it’s not that weird that he didn’t post the book trailer on YouTube today. Maybe he will in the future. He’s already selling well on Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/0063053888/re ... yFb1452DFW

Scroll down to see where it ranks.

Even though I already have his autograph and I’m not impressed by the bookmark, I ordered from his shop.

After all this waiting for the reveal, I’m surprised I’m slightly not excited. I strangely think I was more excited by that lacy IG photo. Maybe bc it was so unexpected and with the book we spoilered ourselves. That IG post was such weird timing, but I guess it’s like Dizzy said - He’s multifaceted. Would have been humorous to use that photo as the author photo. It’s so long until we get to read the book. I hope there is content coming before then. And I really hope the world is one that will allow live events next year! Being in the same room with Dan would really be worth waiting for, but planning on that and then having another Mexico situation would be so sad.
"Rub those freckles all over me!" --Daniel Howell
alien
procrastinator

Kurapika wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 9:45 pm i'm really not trying to be overly negative! i mostly trust dan. i'm really positive about phil's content later and am liking dan's return to the spotlight. but as someone who study, works with and researches about mental health, it bugs me
snoopysadie wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 5:06 pm
Kurapika wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 4:03 pm i will 100% support this book if it's one page only and says "1) find a psychologist 2) go to therapy 3) if necessary, also find a psychiatrist"
I actually decided to finally go find a psychologist after Daniel and Depression came out. And I remember reading a lot of comments of people who had been putting off the decision because of anxiety and the process was long, and they had had shit people treat them in the past (in my case this was also true, my first psychologist treated me when I was a child and she made me cry).

I am not saying you can't be skeptical, but just wanted to let you know a lot of people have decided to actually move a step forward, inspired and nudged by Dan.
I am not anticipating the content of the book but, in my opinion, it will be more of a "this is what happened to me" than a "look, do this".
yes, i understand that. if it's more about him telling his experiences and maybe some comments about how he's trying to get better (with mentions to therapy) i can be on board.

it's just bothers me a lot when people who don't study mental health write books about mental health (again, one thing is to write a book about their personal experience, another is to give advice).

people live in houses, but you don't see them writing books about civil construction just bc of it. people have lamps, but don't write books about electric engineering. for some reason, people think they can talk about mental health and give advice about it as it's not something people are studying a lot to understand and be able to talk about.

it's a lot like coaching or self help books. they do more damage than good bc a lot of people don't understand mental health is a science and should be treated as such.

you can't give "advice" on how to change thoughts and behaviors bc that's not how it works.

(this is not me saying you said this stuff snoopysadie! i'm just using your post to vent lmao)
Yeah...I'm with you. Like the tweet where he says most people don't read textbooks so his book will be textbook info strained through his brain to change people's lives?? Is he implying he has been reading psychology textbooks and that he has credentials outside of personal experience?? It doesn't sit well with me. And before anyone says it, yes I know he's working with a psychologist and that's great.

I know I said I was cautiously optimistic but I've turned a bit apprehensive with the more info coming out.

Unrelated, I wonder if Dan plans on changing up his autograph for the signed books.
obvsly
#relatable

Susanisnotafish wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 2:50 am He’s already selling well on Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/0063053888/re ... yFb1452DFW

Scroll down to see where it ranks.
Wow, impressive huh? This is as of 7.20 am. BST and on amazon alone. Half the phandom might’ve already ordered through IRL.

masterofgeometry
squish

alien wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 5:29 am Unrelated, I wonder if Dan plans on changing up his autograph for the signed books.
Instead of :Dan its going to be D:an
flarequake
not an airport stalker

masterofgeometry wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 6:27 am
alien wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 5:29 am Unrelated, I wonder if Dan plans on changing up his autograph for the signed books.
Instead of :Dan its going to be D:an
Ouch :| :roll: :lol:

I also thought it might be time for Proper Signature of his whole name, though that will take longer to write.
Birdie
blobfish
Pronouns: they/them

I guess there will be excerpts published once we get closer to the publication date and I'll check those out before I judge the book. I don't think I'll buy it though, I can't say I'm really excited. I didn't want a self-help book from him after all and the topic doesn't change my opinion on that. But good for him, I believe him when he says this book is important to him and I like that he's working with a professional.

I just wanna wait and see what this book can actually do for people with mental health problems. I do believe that a book like this can be a comfort for people with their own mental health struggles but I wonder if a book written by a lay person (even with the help of a professional) can actually change lives the way the blurb promises (which I find irresponsible but that's on the publisher, not Dan). I do hope the book will urge its readers to seek therapy/professional help if they need it and I do hope it's not going to end up an "I'll make this dusty academic topic seem fun and relatable" approach to psychology and mental health because that would be... something.

In the end I'm a bit dissapointed it's a self-help/guide book kind of deal instead of a memoir. I'd personally be more interested in Dan writing about his personal struggle with mental health without the self-help aspect. I read some books by comedians and actors like that lately that I really loved, like Sofie Hagen's Happy Fat, but with the topic Dan chose the self-help angle doesn't really sit well with me, for reasons already mentioned by others in this thread, but I'm hoping for the best.

On another note, I really like the book cover. It's a pretty clean design and, thankfully, not a picture of him, which I would've found a bit cringe.
kavat
pastel persona

obvsly wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 6:26 am
I imagine someone buying it because it's #1 in "Computers & internet humor" and then it's actually a book about depression :facepalm2:
liola
rankussy

I don't know why everyone is going into the "Oh it's the publisher's fault that the blurb is like that/that it gives empty promises" first of all Dan is a big enough deal for a publisher given the numbers he can pull that I'm sure he could have a saying in the official description of his book but most importantly if Dan didn't agree with it he wouldn't use the same language to promote it to his core audience, like this tweet
And the same description on instagram where he has millions of followers. They also used the same description of the book for the newsletter from IRL, which they.. didn't have to? If Dan didn't agree with what the promise is he wouldn't share it with, you know, a newsletter from his own company where he has complete control over. And no, he wouldn't need to use the same exact language since it's not an official book release press.

Also, while I'm not buying this book and I don't think anything will change my mind, I'm still wary about the advice and tools that are promised to be in it and I don't know how much I trust it. Yes, there's a professional psychologist overseeing it but they are not a credited author, and from Dan's words they are not writing anything, just checking that what HE writes is not incorrect information. That is vastly different than actual professional advice.
I don't want to tell anyone what to think or do and I truly am glad for Dan that he managed to push a project forward but like, let's give him responsibility where he has it cause that book description sounds very much Dan to me and people have a right to be wary of that and the words it chooses to use
Will probably never be over the BONCAS and the beauty of Phil Lester.

Official Moving Hill Mayor
Morganaa
drama llama

Here i come again, being negative of course, criticizing, exaggrating and looking for issues where there's none, hold on tight, fasten you seatbelt, and think about contrarguments(is this even a word? My former hs eng teacher mrs Walker would probably give me an F just for asking...).

Y'know, it kinda bothers me when people write books about subjects they have absolutely no qualifications and knowledge in... Coz seriously, what qualification does he have? Because he had mental problems? Well, let me tell you, half of the population(or even more) is or was struggling with depression and mental issues at some point. Coz he approves what a mental health organization does? Well, yeah, i do too. So what.
Dont get me wrong, if someone's very enthusiastic about it, that's great. But... Well, i have a driver's license. I own two cars, i drive quite a lot actually, and i read some cars-related articles and stuff, i consider myself as being interested in the subject. But does that mean i can write a book about vehicle mechanics and fixing problems and then give it to a mechanic to check if it's correct? I mean, i guess i could. But am i a reliable source of information, given that im an amateour and have no actual training, besides things i read and learned by myself? And it could be checked by a professional, but still, it kinda seems... Weird and out of place.
I aint gonna buy it for sure, might check out reviews and MIGHT get a pdf(just for a test to check what it's actually like. But pretend i havent say that.) but otherwise im not interested.
First we gotta make it to May though.
obvsly
#relatable

Interesting takes! Kinda see where a lot of us are coming from but I just don’t feel that way... I feel like there are many points that we probably won’t ever know for sure anyway (like how much is dan’s and how much is publisher’s/editor’s/consultant’s input) so I’m already contented with agreeing to disagree with everyone. 😅

Anyway!
alittledizzy wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 5:21 pm
I'm kind of in love with the second slide in this post.

Sorry if it had been mentioned and I missed it. The photo shoot, it’s at their apartment, right? The second picture with his knees out for the lads shows the familiar interior but I wasn’t sure since the lighting makes it look so different in this. I love his pose though.
Megancita75
ar·tic·u·late

I'd love to talk a bit about Phil, since I find myself still thinking about his quiz show. I wonder how many ideas they've been throwing out there to see if they stick, and I'd love to know how many irons Phil has in the fire. In general, I'm fascinated with what it must be like to live in such a creative household, where I imagine the answer to most ideas is "yes, let's see what happens" rather than "no." Now that they are moving is separate career directions I also worry (project my anxieties, let's be real) if there is more potential for professional jealousy.

All of this is to say (1) is Glitch still a project? and (2) I am amped for Phil one day to announce a secret project because I find it so exciting to see what the heck he is up to. I'm surprised every time by what they both do and I like it.
noodlebum
flower crown

Ah yeah I forgot about the glitch project!
gnostic
stress mushroom

I'm not at all a Dan fan and have about 0 personal excitement for the book. But I find the whole conversation about how the only mental health advice should be "go to therapy and psychiatrist" incredibly, incredibly privileged, and honestly disrespectful. And that's coming from someone who worked with those specialists for years.

Sorry, not all of us can afford therapy. Some are young and need parental consent and financial support which may not be available. Some are adults but guess what, literally too poor to afford therapy. Some work in professions where your employment is T O A S T if you're found to have seeked mental health assistance. Some are in countries where mental health assistance are still in its infancy

In those circumstances, even a corny self help book or song can help

Basically, wtf
Just here for the marketing skills
Amiaw
interactive introvert

Dawbell tweeted Dan’s Metro article today so it does seem like they’re representing him alongside his other Agent and Manager so I’m curious to see where this goes. they describe themselves as specializing in music, entertainment, and brands and Dan only started following them about 2 months Ago.