Dan & Phil Part 96: AmazingPhil (and his cameraman)

Our two favourite full time internet nerds who never go outside!
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie
Pronouns: she/her

dan and phil where are you i need the dopamine please
yellowsubmarine
hobbit hair

I just wish Phil's videos were longer.. I don't know if it's him not changing with the times or if it's me but, since I watch other youtubers now, their videos are all over 10 min... around 17-20 at the lowest. It's like an event.. you get your snack, get cozy, and hit play. Maybe if he pushed the time more they wouldn't feel so rushed or surface-level.
"Treat yourself, because you're special and you're worth it."
Amiaw
interactive introvert

I don’t really mind the length of his videos- I struggle to watch anything over 15 minutes in one sitting unless it’s a one-off. I do miss his live shows because having Phil talk to us for 45 min each week was really nice but I can understand why he’s not right now.

Personally I’m struggling to even have conversations with my friends these days because everything we can talk about is heavy so i imagine trying to keep things upbeat in a video without leaving your house isn’t the easiest right now
Megancita75
ar·tic·u·late

Connor Franta had a video last week talking about being in a creative slump right now, and I wonder how many other creators are feeling that.

Also, I believe Rose and Rosie are starting liveshows again on YouNow in October (but Rose said it would just be once a month), so that made me wonder about Phil as well. I think R&R stopped live shows around the same time Phil did.
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

irl merch is uh.... kind of a mess lately, aren't they?
Amiaw
interactive introvert

alittledizzy wrote: Wed Sep 30, 2020 8:44 pm irl merch is uh.... kind of a mess lately, aren't they?
I’m still skeptical about them lowering some peoples shipping charges on the books after people started talking about the shipping costs
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

Amiaw wrote: Wed Sep 30, 2020 8:53 pm
alittledizzy wrote: Wed Sep 30, 2020 8:44 pm irl merch is uh.... kind of a mess lately, aren't they?
I’m still skeptical about them lowering some peoples shipping charges on the books after people started talking about the shipping costs
I didn't even see that. I did see the emails though - linking to a pixel people backpack instead of Dan's book? And also just Phil's shop at the bottom of the email?

I mean, I know when working any kind of admin job shit just happens sometimes. But last week they had an issue with not blind copying people in one of the batch emails about mask shipment delays, too. I feel like the ones going out to thousands and thousands of people at least need uh... a second set of eyes.

But the shipping thing is interesting, too. Hrm.
laurenbacall
delia smith

that IRL email was so badly written; it feels very much like a last minute rush job. what made me balk was the line "our exclusive offer will probably only be available for a few more days"... if it's your offer, surely you know when it's going to end? what's the "probably" about?

it's very interesting to me that dan's signed books didn't sell out. i presumed that they would sell out pretty much instantly. perhaps there isn't such a huge appetite for it as they thought
Megancita75
ar·tic·u·late

I do wonder how Covid is affecting their ability to run business as usual and to normal standards and for all we know they are having staff transitions or even reductions; speaking for myself, everyone in my company working remotely is struggling to perform at the same level. But I wouldn't expect them to share that sort of info.
inanerat
eclipse shirt
Pronouns: he/she/they

laurenbacall wrote: Wed Sep 30, 2020 9:25 pm it's very interesting to me that dan's signed books didn't sell out. i presumed that they would sell out pretty much instantly. perhaps there isn't such a huge appetite for it as they thought
I had assumed that they didn't set a very low stock number of the signed books, if any at all. Since the book is not done and hasn't even been printed yet, they can gauge the numbers and unless they're super ridiculous, Dan will be okay with a hefty stack, so long as he has a bit of time so his hand doesn't fall off.

With masks being delayed (I didn't order any nor do I get IRL promo emails so I'm just basing that off what was said on here) I could easily see that being a production issue. Especially with things like masks, that have boomed so strongly and so quickly production can get overwhelmed (the bike industry is a mess right now help me) and supply chains for things like fabric also take a lot of stress and experience delays. Things like the masks require at least the edging material, backside material (plain), front side material (likely dyesub printed which adds another step), and potentially different material for ear straps. I'm not sure where they get the sewing and manufacturing done for their various types of products either.

Communication and links, etc. is all on them missing details.
:transheart: :transheart: :transheart:
Susanisnotafish
flower crown
Pronouns: She/her

Here’s a playlist I made of every video I could find with Dan and/or Phil in it made in October in day of the month order. I like to watch everything they made on every Oct 1 on Oct 1, etc. because I am weird like that (and bc they’re not making enough new content).

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... 53uen50sDf
"Rub those freckles all over me!" --Daniel Howell
tipofmemory
dank meme
Pronouns: she/they

Re: the length of Phil's videos, I think it's possible that he hasn't fully grown out of the habit of making short videos. Like back when he first started videos were under 5 mins, and then eventually during the og youtube years, the average video became like 10 mins ish. Obviously that's steadily increased since then and often videos are now at least 15-20 minutes (depending on the channel/genre), but unless a specific video topic/style/format lends itself to a longer video (e.g. gaming, baking, etc.), Phil's videos will sometimes barely reach the 10 minute mark, and will almost never reach 13-15 minutes.

Honestly it's probably a mixture of habit and the fact that he's probably busy with whatever else is going on behind the scenes (project/s, life stuff, the world). He seems to be doing what he wants with youtube, which is good and I'm fine if he's happy, but yeah, I tend to wish the videos were a little bit longer. Even like 13/14 minutes would be better imo, but I'll take what I can get.
Judearaya
sofa crease

So I'm on moving hill. I am camped in the cold. Everyone on tumblr seems excite for october and possible things, but my moving hill-ness is making me feel like times will be quiet if they're doing shit to get ready or have or are in the process or whatever. I'm usually so peppy about deppy! (OMG fire me) But I'm just not feeling the october thrill?
glitterintheair
phillluminati

If they’re indeed moving it’s gonna be interesting to see how they will navigate through that. There’s a part of me that thinks that if the move will happen before December, Phil might be pre-filming a bunch of vids to release while they’re in the process of moving so it won’t look suspicious. Unless they straight up tell us that they are moving, but somehow I doubt it.
I'm a winter flower underground, always thirsty for summer rain.
Phanshy
cheeky #spon

I was on moving hill especially after the Steve video but now I'm not so sure, I'm not really hopeful for any spooky content but I wish Phil would do some baking, his chaotic kitchen antics are always a good time and I don't it being solo. :pumpkinphil:
Amiaw
interactive introvert

I thought November was much more exciting last year buts that’s probably just because of Japan.

Speaking of moving hill- dan followed an aquascaping account on Twitter today so I expect Norman to have nice new digs
Birdie
blobfish
Pronouns: they/them

laurenbacall wrote: Wed Sep 30, 2020 9:25 pm it's very interesting to me that dan's signed books didn't sell out. i presumed that they would sell out pretty much instantly. perhaps there isn't such a huge appetite for it as they thought
I read a thing the other day about celebs decreasing the "worth" of their autograph by making it too available. Like, if anyone can get it less people will want it because it's not as exclusive anymore. Like, signed copies of the other books are rare and those are offered for 80 dollars on ebay right now. So maybe this is that thing. They might have sold out if they'd said they only have, like, a hundred or if it had only been available for a few days.

As it is, I guess they're going to make Dan sign as many pre-ordered copies as are ordered and that's why there's no limit. I doubt we'll hear about it but I wonder how that'll turn out since so many people have pre-ordered the book. (Although maybe most people pre-ordered via Amazon or other book stores and not the merch shop so it might not be as many.)
Amiaw
interactive introvert

How does that work with a book that’s not written yet? Does he only get to sell a certain percentage on his own site?
autumnhearth
senpai

Susanisnotafish wrote: Thu Oct 01, 2020 2:24 am Here’s a playlist I made of every video I could find with Dan and/or Phil in it made in October in day of the month order. I like to watch everything they made on every Oct 1 on Oct 1, etc. because I am weird like that (and bc they’re not making enough new content).

Thank you for compiling these! I watched quite a few videos this morning, some of which I’ve never seen. I had to skip most of the StickAid telethon due to a combination of cringe and boringness, though it is interesting to see how much Dan’s public demeanor and comfort levels have changed. I finished up with the Autumn Daniel livestream from the moon room, it’s so lovely and calm and it was neat to look back on that time, knowing what was coming next.
Susanisnotafish
flower crown
Pronouns: She/her

autumnhearth wrote: Thu Oct 01, 2020 6:47 pm
Susanisnotafish wrote: Thu Oct 01, 2020 2:24 am Here’s a playlist I made of every video I could find with Dan and/or Phil in it made in October in day of the month order. I like to watch everything they made on every Oct 1 on Oct 1, etc. because I am weird like that (and bc they’re not making enough new content).

Thank you for compiling these! I watched quite a few videos this morning, some of which I’ve never seen. I had to skip most of the StickAid telethon due to a combination of cringe and boringness, though it is interesting to see how much Dan’s public demeanor and comfort levels have changed. I finished up with the Autumn Daniel livestream from the moon room, it’s so lovely and calm and it was neat to look back on that time, knowing what was coming next.
I emphatically agree about the huge change in Dan from that StickAid until the radio show. I also wonder if anything else was making him so seemingly not confident and dare I say boring? Anyone remember why Phil didn’t participate?
"Rub those freckles all over me!" --Daniel Howell
tipofmemory
dank meme
Pronouns: she/they

Susanisnotafish wrote: Thu Oct 01, 2020 11:43 pm
autumnhearth wrote: Thu Oct 01, 2020 6:47 pm

I emphatically agree about the huge change in Dan from that StickAid until the radio show. I also wonder if anything else was making him so seemingly not confident and dare I say boring? Anyone remember why Phil didn’t participate?
God those StickAid videos are so awkward. No-one really seems to know what's going on half the time, and no-one's really active and engaging. Just uncomfortable all around.

I think he was more comfortable with the radio bc he'd been able to better familiarise himself with it all beforehand, which doesn't appear to be the case here, and was being helped by people that worked there along the way and wasn't being fully thrown into the deep end. And that he had someone he trusted who he could rely on and bounce off of.

Phil was just about to go to Florida! Here are the tweets:
inanerat
eclipse shirt

Since no one has posted them yet and they were tweeted fairly late: October tweets!
Phil replied to a few tweets but no replies from Dan. I'm suspicious. As usual.

:pumpkinphil: :eyerollpumpkin: :leafpile: :psl:
liola
rankussy

I'm on moving hill always. As resident Mayor at this point I've accepted I'm gonna die there if they don't move soon. Actually, bury me there even if they do move okay.

I'm suspicious of their Twitter activity, if that's what we wanna call it. I just want a Phil video plis. And if Dan wanted to start promo of his books with some nice spooky video, well.
Will probably never be over the BONCAS and the beauty of Phil Lester.

Official Moving Hill Mayor
shan
morning quiff

I would really really love to wake up to some new content tomorrow. A video would be A+ but anything more substantial than a 'Happy October' tweet would be great. *sends this into the universe*
inanerat
eclipse shirt

Does an ig story of crash bandicoot count as content?

Also I wonder if they're playing it together, like they have done with crash games in the past.