Dan & Phil Part 96: AmazingPhil (and his cameraman)

Our two favourite full time internet nerds who never go outside!
kavat
pastel persona
Pronouns: she/her

I had a minor heart attack this morning when I woke up, opened twitter and saw everyone screaming about husbands without context! :shock: (also instagram please get your shit together, I never get story notifs anymore)

This is the most honest he's been in a while and it's making me even more excited for the book. I feel like a proud mum, he has come so so far. Imagine little teenage Dan who saw no way out, if he only knew were he would be today :rainbowtears:

The pictures are wonderful, his smile is really radiant and the looks so happy! <3
tipofmemory
dank meme
Pronouns: she/they

Dan went on a podcast! Can't wait to listen <3
Birdie
blobfish
Pronouns: they/them

Secretstanner wrote: Thu Oct 08, 2020 5:53 am I guess I took the Phil part different than the rest and the reason why is because we have no idea what he was asked. I see people questioning their relationship based on “just friends” but we don’t actually know the question put forth. It could be anything. “What do your audience think of yours and phils relationship?” I took Dans reply as saying what his audience could/do see their relationship as and dan listing the options off. I don’t know if I think dan was just telling us what they are. “Who the fuck knows” I don’t believe Dan and Phil don’t know what their relationship is.
Yeah, to me it didn't read like "We don't know", it read like "we could be any one of these options but we won't tell you because this is ours", so basically the same boundary they've been setting and upholding for a while now. And good for them, really, that's a smart choice.
shan
morning quiff

tipofmemory wrote: Thu Oct 08, 2020 11:32 am Dan went on a podcast! Can't wait to listen <3
Just listened to this while I was working. If this is going to be the next 7 months until the book comes out, sign me up! Today has been amazing, Dan is amazing, I'm not crying you are :rainbowtears:
liola
rankussy

Katka wrote: Thu Oct 08, 2020 11:39 am
Secretstanner wrote: Thu Oct 08, 2020 5:53 am I guess I took the Phil part different than the rest and the reason why is because we have no idea what he was asked. I see people questioning their relationship based on “just friends” but we don’t actually know the question put forth. It could be anything. “What do your audience think of yours and phils relationship?” I took Dans reply as saying what his audience could/do see their relationship as and dan listing the options off. I don’t know if I think dan was just telling us what they are. “Who the fuck knows” I don’t believe Dan and Phil don’t know what their relationship is.
Yeah, to me it didn't read like "We don't know", it read like "we could be any one of these options but we won't tell you because this is ours", so basically the same boundary they've been setting and upholding for a while now. And good for them, really, that's a smart choice.
I fully agree with this but there's a part of me that is like "magine if they spend 10 years being obviously romantic, best friends, livign together, travelling together, thinking about buying a house, talking about adopting a dogs, and then 10 years have passed and they're like "ok but.. what are we :oops: " the thought is hilarious to me i'm sorry :pumpkinphil:
Will probably never be over the BONCAS and the beauty of Phil Lester.

Official Moving Hill Mayor
rizzo
unduly facetious
unduly facetious

Finished the podcast and he's just....... so eloquent? It's almost unnerving.

And I know this is what Dan's like in all of these major media interviews - he's a GREAT speaker and obviously generally good with words, given his writing as well. But gosh. It'll never stop astounding me how you can practically hear him sit up straight, elbows off the table.

Anyway - I loved that tiny anecdote about his grandpa. I'll take any insight into his life.
Templeofshame
rainbow nerd

missemma wrote: Thu Oct 08, 2020 7:01 am - he didn’t leave the house at all during lockdown. explains why he didn’t do the marathon. no training.
I was curious about this line in the interview, and we don't know when the interview was (or at least I don't know), but I kinda concluded that the interviewer was either misunderstanding a joke about not leaving the house or exaggerating? I guess it's possible that the interview was early enough that this was true, but we know that Dan went to the vet on the Steve rescue mission, that some of his book photoshoot was outside, that they went to Bryony's for her birthday, etc... He really emphasized getting lots of exercise in preparation for his "hot-boy summer" so I'm not super convinced that he stopped entirely for all of lockdown, but it's hard to tell.
Secretstanner
truth bomb

Nice little podcast. Nothing ground breaking with information but it’s still nice to know how he feels and where he’s at. I’m somewhat still on the fence if I will buy this book or not. He has said a few times that he’s confronting things he does or calling himself out, but how much of that will really be in the book? If this is a guide book for mental health I wonder how much of him will be in the book. Also I don’t think this will include any personal stories or information with his relationship with Phil, as I have seen people hoped for (maybe including me)

Content for both days. Wow. Don’t stop now Dan you’re on a roll. Once again looking forward to Phil’s video. Since I’m being nice, Phil’s boyfriend is kinda sorta pretty I guess <3
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

I really enjoyed listening to the podcast, but it's interesting because I feel like it gave me new context for the attitude he's taking towards all the press he is doing/will be doing around this book release. It is a more mature Dan, a more honest Dan, but definitely shades of the same Dan that did the press rounds for TATINOF - a man being very polished and very purposeful with his words. It's definitely smart considering the topic of the book - everything in that podcast that he chose to express and speak only about was Dan's genuine truth and I love that. But the boundaries are there, and firm. The use of friend to shut down any avenues into discussing interpersonal relationships was especially obvious. It's not that he was trying to specifically misconstrue things to anyone that already follows his life, he simply didn't want that door open for anyone that doesn't already know - especially journalists.

It's just another example of how Dan (and Phil) are experts at controlling their narrative. I'm proud of him for it. I kind of have that feeling where I'm like, realizing again what a fucking good public figure he really can be when he's ready to step into that spotlight.

In terms of feeling guilty about the speculation, I don't. Dan's anger is justified and understandable, but I also think he probably knows he couldn't have had the supportive audience coming out to him and in turn inspiring him to come out if no one on the internet ever talked about his sexuality. There aren't actually two different audiences. It's all the same mixed bag of people. It's the same people telling him to his face they feel brave because of them that also turn around on the internet and talk about him. But I have full empathy for how that situation could feel both inspiring and also claustrophobic to Dan and leave him with a whole set of complex emotions.
Phantasy
woodland creature

Secretstanner wrote: Thu Oct 08, 2020 1:17 pm Nice little podcast. Nothing ground breaking with information but it’s still nice to know how he feels and where he’s at. I’m somewhat still on the fence if I will buy this book or not. He has said a few times that he’s confronting things he does or calling himself out, but how much of that will really be in the book? If this is a guide book for mental health I wonder how much of him will be in the book. Also I don’t think this will include any personal stories or information with his relationship with Phil, as I have seen people hoped for (maybe including me)

Content for both days. Wow. Don’t stop now Dan you’re on a roll. Once again looking forward to Phil’s video. Since I’m being nice, Phil’s boyfriend is kinda sorta pretty I guess <3
I think it would be a glaring oversight if he glosses over his 10 year domestic partnership and doesn’t connect some piece of that with dealing/coping with mental health issues (and how that impacts the people closest to you). It’s not so much about wanting to feed the phannie monster buried deep within me, it’s more about a genuine curiosity on a topic where maybe he can speak with some authority and a great deal of experience/ perspective.

Unfortunately though while I expect some anecdotes about mental health episodes related to childhood bullying, dropping out of college, etc., in areas related to Phil, I expect he’ll get lumped into generic friend musings.
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

More.... more Dan.... More Dan?!? I don't understand. I can't comprehend. What is this.

BrothAndBrine
delia smith

alittledizzy wrote: Thu Oct 08, 2020 5:19 pm More.... more Dan.... More Dan?!? I don't understand. I can't comprehend. What is this.
Private video. Remember what it said? :undertaledog:
Birdie
blobfish
Pronouns: they/them

liola wrote: Thu Oct 08, 2020 12:28 pm
Katka wrote: Thu Oct 08, 2020 11:39 am
I fully agree with this but there's a part of me that is like "magine if they spend 10 years being obviously romantic, best friends, livign together, travelling together, thinking about buying a house, talking about adopting a dogs, and then 10 years have passed and they're like "ok but.. what are we :oops: " the thought is hilarious to me i'm sorry :pumpkinphil:
This is the queer Netflix romcom or romance novel I need in my life, who's going to write it?
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

BrothAndBrine wrote: Thu Oct 08, 2020 5:28 pm
alittledizzy wrote: Thu Oct 08, 2020 5:19 pm More.... more Dan.... More Dan?!? I don't understand. I can't comprehend. What is this.
Private video. Remember what it said? :undertaledog:
It got privated so fast! It wasn't that exciting - it was a six minute video in which Dan gave tips on how to break/deal with a social media addiction, intercut with advice from other youtubers.

The exciting part is that apparently this is gonna be a weekly thing he hosts on their channel? There was very very briefly a second video shown but I didn't get to actually look at it. I'm guessing maybe it's next week's video.
LAshleigh
rainbow nerd

Okay I was confident that Dan was up to SOMETHING, but geez, I can't even keep up right now! I like it.
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

Someone else (indistinct-echo on tumblr) recorded it and reuploaded it!

rizzo
unduly facetious
unduly facetious

kehfglkjdhsflgudbslfkjbldskjfhglkjdhfg

that's all i've got in terms of a reaction right now. i'll be back with real words... eventually.
Secretstanner
truth bomb

I’m in a constant tailspin with dan. The things he chooses to do I’m always like, wait really...sure okay? Im still holding on to my candle haul but sure have fun telling us how to get off social media for a couple minutes.
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

noodlebum
flower crown

This is all a bit too much, content overload haha
yellowsubmarine
hobbit hair

Did i just go back in time or something what is all this Dan activity 🤣

I'm not used to this, still have to listen to the podcast, also completely missed the video, and now he's active on twitter?

I love it here.
"Treat yourself, because you're special and you're worth it."
sarmstr2
pumpkin spice pumpkin cookie

Is 2020...good? now? I feel so fed and am excited for everything coming up.
plinthofmylife
janice from the shop

The irony of dan telling us all to get off social media in a video while causing all phannies to spend all their time consuming and responding to his sudden flood of content.

I love to see that they have a bunch of diverse queer creators in that series <3
plinthofmylife
janice from the shop

Sorry for the double post but....

Do we feel like dan will ever make a video on his own channel again? Or put his face in an AP video?
yellowsubmarine
hobbit hair

(Did it work??)

He posted my favorite photo from the photoshoot :happytears:
That man has an amazing profile i'll never get tired of saying it. And it's illegal how well pink suits him but of course he doesn't want our happiness and won't post anything in pink :(
Last edited by lefthandedism on Thu Oct 08, 2020 7:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: fixed instagram embed
"Treat yourself, because you're special and you're worth it."