Dan & Phil Part 96: AmazingPhil (and his cameraman)

Our two favourite full time internet nerds who never go outside!
Secretstanner
truth bomb

Secretstanner wrote: Thu Oct 08, 2020 6:17 pm I’m in a constant tailspin with dan. The things he chooses to do I’m always like, wait really...sure okay? Im still holding on to my candle haul but sure have fun telling us how to get off social media for a couple minutes.
I’m just going to say this because I know people can be passive aggressive in this phandom without actually talking about things. Like others have said, it’s ironic he just did that video about social when the last two days I literally have been glued to my phone because of dan. I don’t have to love everything Dan does, I don’t actually think dan will go back to being a YouTuber I’m joking about the candle haul?? “If you don’t like it don’t watch, unfollow” Why? Why do I have to do this? Why can’t I follow dan and know what I will and won’t enjoy? And have opinions about it. I don’t blindly follow and love everything either of them do, doesn’t make me less of a fan of them. And this response is to people that read here but post other places. Once again gotta love the passive aggression. Never change phandom!

In conclusion. Love this beautiful man. Peace out ✌️
inanerat
eclipse shirt
Pronouns: he/she/they

Secretstanner wrote: Thu Oct 08, 2020 8:02 pm
Secretstanner wrote: Thu Oct 08, 2020 6:17 pm I’m in a constant tailspin with dan. The things he chooses to do I’m always like, wait really...sure okay? Im still holding on to my candle haul but sure have fun telling us how to get off social media for a couple minutes.
I’m just going to say this because I know people can be passive aggressive in this phandom without actually talking about things. Like others have said, it’s ironic he just did that video about social when the last two days I literally have been glued to my phone because of dan. I don’t have to love everything Dan does, I don’t actually think dan will go back to being a YouTuber I’m joking about the candle haul?? “If you don’t like it don’t watch, unfollow” Why? Why do I have to do this? Why can’t I follow dan and know what I will and won’t enjoy? And have opinions about it. I don’t blindly follow and love everything either of them do, doesn’t make me less of a fan of them. And this response is to people that read here but post other places. Once again gotta love the passive aggression. Never change phandom!

In conclusion. Love this beautiful man. Peace out ✌️
It's interesting. I think 'If you don't like, don't watch, unfollow' can be kind of a simplification of what is a really important reminder that you don't have to be right there for everything, involved in everything, follow people forever, etc. I remember being on tumblr and stuff (and even now I think it is still somewhat of a thing) and unfollowing people was like a big deal. Like when you followed someone it was a personal commitment to follow them for the rest of time or something. With 'if you don't like, don't watch, unfollow' I think maybe a more fleshed out way to explain it is don't hold onto/keep following/watching people when you're not really enjoying their content in general anymore. If someone posts one or two things that I'm not that into, fine, but if we start parting directions more generally, maybe it's time to move on and that's okay. It's also very individual based on you and your reasons for following someone.

I refer to it as like 'marie kondo-ing' my follower list, where every month or two I go through my follower list on insta and basically ask myself 'does following this person spark joy, do I like seeing this person and their posts come up on my feed?' and if the answer is no I ask the follow up question of 'am I following this person to learn from them? is the stress and discomfort associated with learning from them and growing something I can handle right now?' If I am not experiencing joy or learning from the account, I unfollow. Doing this periodically over time keeps my social media more curated to what I want and what I have energy for. It has been really, really helpful for me.

Sidenote: also lovely to see people like Jessica, Amp and Chandler in this project as well!
:transheart: :transheart: :transheart:
glitterintheair
phillluminati
Pronouns: she/her

I agree with the statement “if you don’t like something, stop watching and unfollow” but that’s too easy to say and a bit harder to actually do. I speak mostly from experience here, but like.. for example, do I care about Dan’s book or any project of his? Not really. Should I just unfollow, then? Probably, yes. BUT. I know I will still be here until I find something else that’ll interest me more. When you’re part of a fandom for so long and it’s been your main one for years, it’s not that easy to just say “ok, enough of it” especially when you don’t have any other things to run to when you need a distraction. This is a struggle that it’s often overlooked imo, but it’s there.
I'm a winter flower underground, always thirsty for summer rain.
autumnhearth
senpai

plinthofmylife wrote: Thu Oct 08, 2020 7:27 pm Sorry for the double post but....

Do we feel like dan will ever make a video on his own channel again? Or put his face in an AP video?
If/when Dan makes an appearance on AmazingPhil, he really will be a special guest. Who knows at this point. I would love some domestic holiday content, but I can see a promo in spring.

The podcast this morning was my fave, it was very calming to listen to. The video series could be interesting... wish his sound quality was better. Thank you to those who share the content and keep us in the loop. I’m a bit overwhelmed, after feeling starved earlier this week. I wonder if the timing of the article and the podcast was a coincidence. Clearly all of this was done awhile ago.

:leafpile: <oh look, it me, being showered in content
Megancita75
ar·tic·u·late

So has the first Attitude video not been officially released yet? I saw the recording that someone on tumblr was able to get before the YT video itself was privated/locked but I don't see anything on the Attitude YT site. Am I missing it? And if not, I wonder when the actual release date will be. I'd like to give my view count to the actual video.
Phanshy
cheeky #spon

glitterintheair wrote: Thu Oct 08, 2020 8:36 pm I agree with the statement “if you don’t like something, stop watching and unfollow” but that’s too easy to say and a bit harder to actually do. I speak mostly from experience here, but like.. for example, do I care about Dan’s book or any project of his? Not really. Should I just unfollow, then? Probably, yes. BUT. I know I will still be here until I find something else that’ll interest me more. When you’re part of a fandom for so long and it’s been your main one for years, it’s not that easy to just say “ok, enough of it” especially when you don’t have any other things to run to when you need a distraction. This is a struggle that it’s often overlooked imo, but it’s there.
I really agree with this, it's kind of like if you're a huge fan of a musician and involved in their fandom, even when they take a break, then they come back with a new album in a different genre that you don't connect with, it doesn't mean I can't be glad they're back and seeing them do press and be just present and it doesn't mean I'm not going to listen to their old music that made me love them and share that love with other fans.
I can also be disappointed that somebody I love and have invested a lot emotionally is doing things I'm not really interested in, after I'd really anticipated their return, yet also still be happy for them that they are happier going in a different direction, even if they aren't taking me with them on this particular journey. I'll still hold out hope they do things that I'll be excited for in the future.
I'm not sure if this analogy really work but it's how I explained it to a friend who's not invested in Dan and Phil.
obsessivelymoody
emo goose

Just here to say this is so much Dan. It's been so long since this has happened that I think I just assumed we'd never get this level of Dan content again lol. Regardless, I'm proud of him!!
rizzo
unduly facetious
unduly facetious

This is my favorite part of today tbh.
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

Megancita75 wrote: Thu Oct 08, 2020 9:23 pm So has the first Attitude video not been officially released yet? I saw the recording that someone on tumblr was able to get before the YT video itself was privated/locked but I don't see anything on the Attitude YT site. Am I missing it? And if not, I wonder when the actual release date will be. I'd like to give my view count to the actual video.
Yeah I'm guessing it was a total accident? There were actually two videos posted briefly - I tried to open the second one to watch and it was already gone. I did screencap the page though.
Amiaw
interactive introvert

Do we have any guesses for what Phil’s video is going to be? Is it going to be another spon? A thinly veiled moving video?
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

Amiaw wrote: Thu Oct 08, 2020 10:46 pm Do we have any guesses for what Phil’s video is going to be? Is it going to be another spon? A thinly veiled moving video?
Watch it be a video with Dan to complete this week of Dan things we didn't expect in a million years.

But for real, I part of me feels like it's just gonna be another filler type video filmed at the same time as the others? I'd love it if he surprised us with another vloggy style video like the Steve one but I'm just not holding my breath. If it's a Manchester tour I will *absolutely* think they were filmed at the same time or within a short period of time, lol.

I do think he'll have some kind of moving hint. Considering even the community post had a gentle insinuation of Steve being around less, I just get the vibes.
Phanshy
cheeky #spon

Amiaw wrote: Thu Oct 08, 2020 10:46 pm Do we have any guesses for what Phil’s video is going to be? Is it going to be another spon? A thinly veiled moving video?
I would love it it to be a gaming video I don't care if it's a spon, I'm craving gaming content but I think it will be something like the Bob Ross following a tutorial kind of video. Him posting early hours of the morning the other day made me want another sleepless night with Phil video, maybe one more before he moves to a forever home with his arch enemy.
shan
morning quiff

On the topic of Phil, and sorry if this has been discussed before, but I was wondering what people's thoughts are about the his channel membership?

I ended up giving in a couple of months after he introduced it out of FOMO and kind of feel like I've been actively throwing my money away ever since. I love Phil, of DnP I prefer his light-hearted content, but it's one of the more expensive subscriptions I've seen for channel memberships with, honestly, the least incentive or benefit. Idk if Safiya still has them enabled but I remember hers being a couple of dollars and there were exclusive live streams etc. for members while I'm giving Phil $6 a month for maybe a community post or two if we're lucky.

I doubt I'll cancel it anytime soon because I'm a simp for Phil but I really wish he'd give us a bit more, you know? I always have a moment of 'why am I paying this' when the paypal receipt comes through (which was obviously today lol).
noodlebum
flower crown

Yeah it seems like a waste to me, like with patreon you generally get some additional content or early access to things
kavat
pastel persona

Content is really ebb and flow these days, huh. Quiet for weeks and then boom, everything at once. Or is it just that they love to do stuff in october :leafpile:

Looking forward to that AP video, hopefully tonight!
glitterintheair
phillluminati

It’s gonna be called “FOREVER HOME ANNOUNCEMENT!” but it will be about Steve and Scraggy finally nesting somewhere.
I'm a winter flower underground, always thirsty for summer rain.
sapienveneficus
rainbow nerd

It has been nice seeing Dan out and about again (so to speak). I thought the photos for the magazine were lovely; especially the one if him sat in that chair with the ripped jeans. He looked genuinely happy.

That said, the interview (and the podcast) kind of irked me as a fan. First off, the introduction of Dan as a YouTube star set me off a bit. It'd be like me being introduced as a spelling bee champ. While yes, I've won a few spelling bees in my day, the last one was in 5th grade so it's not really a recent accomplishment. Now, yes, I'm exaggerating for comedic effect, but Dan hasn't been a YouTuber for years now (gosh, that was hard to type) and yet that's still how he's introduced. The host talked to him as if he were still making YouTube videos, not as if that was his former career. As a fan of Dan back when he was a YouTuber, that bugged me. I also really wanted someone (magazine writer, podcast host, take your pick) to ask him why he stopped making videos. Both interviews touched on his professional life and his life choices, it was right there. I genuinely wonder why neither person asked. Do you think Dan (or his management) said the topic of work/YouTube was off limits?
"Someone, somewhere is into that." Daniel Howell
Phanshy
cheeky #spon

I guess the attitude interview was bound to have softball type questions because he's working for/with them now, so I'm not surprised they didn't ask him about it.
I think he should be introduced as a YouTube star until he's more known for something else to be honest. I was taken aback when he previously described himself as a comedian even though he made funny videos at times I would never have described him as a comedian to anyone personally. I guess it will depend on what future endeavours he pursues comedian/writer/activist/media personality and if any of them eclipse his YouTube fame.
shan
morning quiff

Phanshy wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 10:33 am I think he should be introduced as a YouTube star until he's more known for something else to be honest. I was taken aback when he previously described himself as a comedian even though he made funny videos at times I would never have described him as a comedian to anyone personally. I guess it will depend on what future endeavours he pursues comedian/writer/activist/media personality and if any of them eclipse his YouTube fame.
This makes sense. I don't really know what else they could introduce him as at this point in his career other than maybe an internet personality or general entertainer but neither of those feels quite right either. He hasn't been a YouTuber for a few years but realistically, to the public, he hasn't been anything else either. He'll be able to add big, serious author soon but at this point it still seems to be the most fitting title for what he's know for. If you google Daniel Howell you get YouTube content as his main body of work.

I find the comedian title a bit jarring whenever I see it as well. Probably because it's a clear sign he wants to separate himself from YouTube and that makes me kind of sad (fair enough for his mental health but I'm still going to miss him there).
madzilla84
eclipse shirt

The first two vids in Dan's series with Attitude are now up properly!

blackbirddan.tumblr.com
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

I enjoyed those videos a lot, though the sound quality - much like in Phil's recent videos - is driving me absolutely nuts. I'm kinda hoping they weren't all filmed at the exact same time. He's the host and yet his audio quality is just like the absolute worst of everyone speaking up.
autumnhearth
senpai

alittledizzy wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 2:14 pm I enjoyed those videos a lot, though the sound quality - much like in Phil's recent videos - is driving me absolutely nuts. I'm kinda hoping they weren't all filmed at the exact same time. He's the host and yet his audio quality is just like the absolute worst of everyone speaking up.
It’s infuriating. Do you suppose it was filmed in the filming flat (damn tiles) or while he was at the Attitude shoot?
000dia000
emo goose

Hi, it's been so long, I was last active here a whole year ago and on the Anthony Padilla thread of all things like (???) and before that in March 2019 :dead:

I hadn't abandoned deppy completely, I was still watching Phil's videos but only that tbh.

I hope the book is good when it comes out....next year. It's a bit of a premature announcement, but sure. It's interesting to see Dan participating on videos on other channels but none for his own, I think he's been gone long enough that he could rebrand himself or change his content without too much of a pushback?

My dream right now: Phil to do his own solo project and for them to make another video together on YouTube, that's my delulu wish.

I have nothing really valuable or interesting to contribute but it's been really interesting reading everyone's posts here. Anyways, it's been very Dan-centric on here so here's a message for his little husband :

<3 <3 <3 Phil <3 <3 <3
:cactus:
Megancita75
ar·tic·u·late

I liked the Dan videos. The audio situation is distracting, but I did like the structure of it, with Dan intercut with the other participants. I particularly liked the sleep video. I do wonder if Covid hadn't happened, if this video series would have been created in a different way.
rizzo
unduly facetious
unduly facetious

autumnhearth wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 3:06 pm
alittledizzy wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 2:14 pm I enjoyed those videos a lot, though the sound quality - much like in Phil's recent videos - is driving me absolutely nuts. I'm kinda hoping they weren't all filmed at the exact same time. He's the host and yet his audio quality is just like the absolute worst of everyone speaking up.
It’s infuriating. Do you suppose it was filmed in the filming flat (damn tiles) or while he was at the Attitude shoot?
The worst part of it all is that he had a mic clipped on, clearly. So, like, what happened there?

The mic suggests it was at the Attitude shoot, but I would have otherwise guessed their office. :shrug: