Dan & Phil Part 96: AmazingPhil (and his cameraman)

Our two favourite full time internet nerds who never go outside!
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie
Pronouns: she/her

PHIWWWWWWW

plinthofmylife
janice from the shop

Honestly, that was a great video, I laughed out loud, it was on an important topic, and it was 0% what I expected.

Wish he would've given a shout out to Hannah Whitton's and Hank Green's colonoscopy videos. Maybe he doesn't know about them? Waiting for closet phannie Hank to comment on the video!
noodlebum
flower crown

I'm so glad his results came back ok, and that he was encouraging people to get things checked out even if you're embarrassed. :love2:

Personal story below:
Aged 25 I had very bad symptoms, had a colonoscopy (did NOT watch the massive scream or feel calm lol), and turns out I have Ulcerative Colitis (similar to Crohns) and had to have emergency surgery to remove my colon soon after. I was in hospital for 5 weeks, was extremely ill and had a long recovery. Then a year later they removed my rectum and closed off my anus, so I have a permanent ostomy bag. So yes, get things checked! The doctors and nurses see similar or worse daily, and if you leave it longer than necessary you could end up in my state rather than controlling symptoms with medication (not that I left it too late, I was just unlucky with how bad my episode was that they had to do surgery before my colon walls perforated).
blahblahblah8
pumpkin spice pumpkin cookie

Loved the message of the video! I feel like that explains his absence as well since he’s been more quiet than usual lately. So glad he’s okay and I love how he manages to make everything lighthearted and funny. Also I’m relieved I’m not the only one that’s put a dressing gown on the wrong way lmao
Phantasy
woodland creature

Amusing anecdote with an important message... BUTT, where’s the obligatory video of Phil coming out of sedation in the recovery room filmed by a chortling Dan?!
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

We stan healthy husbands?
casualsun
delia smith

Loved the video! Made me laugh and it was a great message. I enjoy this kind of content from Phil.
Phanshy
cheeky #spon

I loved the video, completely not what I expected but I always love his story videos.
Catallena
classy cat lady
classy cat lady

As someone who just went through a few very stressful weeks because of her healthcare avoiding father who was casually bleeding all over the house until his body kinda stopped working for a bit, I'm very happy about the message of Phil's video. Get checked out when you're in doubt, even if it means having to put a whole camera up your ass! :ASs:

It's a relief to hear nothing's wrong with him and I hope he finds the cause of the symptoms he had. :love2:

Dan promoting Phil's video is sweet. I'm sure he was worried for his arch enemy. Also this means Dan had to deal with Phil without his morning coffee for a few days. Poor guy.
Twitter *•.(★).•* Tumblr
alien
procrastinator

Phil is king of making serious stuff absolutely hilarious and light-hearted. He makes me laugh every time.

I was worried when I saw the title because I was afraid it was for his head again. Thankfully everything's all good! And he looks gorgeous too. His hair, his glasses, the jean jacket :onfire:
Mia
spork

Ok so had a lot to catch up so quick.
Dan's interviews was really interesting and lovely to read. Thank you Dizzy for sharing. I fully love arch enemies.

I did like the Attitude videos but took me until the 2nd video to realise that Dan was the main focus and the other youtubers as guests in a way. I'll be looking forward to more and I'll listen to the podcast soon. Dan definitely seems to be having stuff prepared for the book launch with these videos and podcasts. Looking forward to what else he'll do. I do think he'll go quiet again after the book has been launched. He'll definitely need a break and I think we need to be ready for that to happen and not worry too much. The interview was so open and honest. It did truly give insight into what he had been going through so the silence feels more understandable now.

Phil....wow, I needed some wholesome and positive content this week and that was it. Really interesting to hear his experience and have him share personal story and raise awareness too.
Also, the comment about Mario Kart had me cackling too.

I've rambled but I'm feel proud to see them being open and creating interesting and honest content :rainbowtears:
Amiaw
interactive introvert

Phil really has a special way of making terrible situations sound funny and I am so glad he’s okay. I have to say I am surprised that he was back in his corner but I think at this point I could see him continuing to film there even if they do move.
inanerat
eclipse shirt
Pronouns: he/she/they

That vid was not what I was expecting but I enjoyed it and I'm glad Phil's okay!
Definitely an important message, as someone who has had an operation on more 'private' areas, it does feel really weird but it really is normal and important.

The mario kart comment nearly made me spit out my ice cream sandwich (thanks phil) and the editing of BUTT over every time he said 'but' was top notch.

Also the cookie from jesus. Relatable. When I came off of anesthesia I was so hungry and the nurse gave me some applesauce but then she wouldn't give me any more and sleepy, sedated me was pissed lmao.

And Phil putting really thoughtful and thorough content warnings in the description. Bless him.

Personally, I'm glad to see him back in his white background, I prefer it over the grey kitchen one but he really is keeping the construction workers up on moving hill on their toes.
:transheart: :transheart: :transheart:
laurenbacall
delia smith

as someone who has recently had a similarly intimate examination, i related a lot to this video

i keep thinking about all the stuff falling out of his pockets and it makes me laugh every time
jesp
why bother

Folks, we made some small changes to the forum recently that may have caused some issues with the youtube bbcode tags in old posts.

If you come across an old post that has a youtube video embedded and the embed is broken in any way please report the post or let me or another mod know, so that we can check it. We're not expecting many older posts to have issues, but if they're there we'll fix them.
snoopysadie

I've been completely out of the fandom because of exams but I finally caught up and I will make my comments as short as possible:
Katka wrote: Thu Oct 08, 2020 11:39 am
Secretstanner wrote: Thu Oct 08, 2020 5:53 am I guess I took the Phil part different than the rest and the reason why is because we have no idea what he was asked. I see people questioning their relationship based on “just friends” but we don’t actually know the question put forth. It could be anything. “What do your audience think of yours and phils relationship?” I took Dans reply as saying what his audience could/do see their relationship as and dan listing the options off. I don’t know if I think dan was just telling us what they are. “Who the fuck knows” I don’t believe Dan and Phil don’t know what their relationship is.
Yeah, to me it didn't read like "We don't know", it read like "we could be any one of these options but we won't tell you because this is ours", so basically the same boundary they've been setting and upholding for a while now. And good for them, really, that's a smart choice.
This is literally what I think. Some days I wake up and Dan and Phil are married in my mind but others I know I will never be able to actually say out loud that they are "romantically together" (and I sincerely doubt they will utter the words because all hell would break lose. Maybe if they decided to start a family). Still, I learnt during II that whatever they are, is forever so I don't care too much.
inanerat wrote: Thu Oct 08, 2020 8:18 pm I remember being on tumblr and stuff (and even now I think it is still somewhat of a thing) and unfollowing people was like a big deal. Like when you followed someone it was a personal commitment to follow them for the rest of time or something. With 'if you don't like, don't watch, unfollow' I think maybe a more fleshed out way to explain it is don't hold onto/keep following/watching people when you're not really enjoying their content in general anymore.
This reminded me of something really funny: About 4 years ago I received an anon ask that said something like "I followed you because you were a Percy Jackson blog but you don't post PJO anymore so I am unfollowing, bye" but in a super aggressive tone... like they wanted me to know my being a multiphandom made me lose a follower... and I was like... bye? Idc? lmao. People are interesting.
shan wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 4:11 am On the topic of Phil, and sorry if this has been discussed before, but I was wondering what people's thoughts are about the his channel membership?
I was shocked to see that it's so pricey for you! I actually got it a couple months ago because it was SO cheap in my currency. It literally costs the same as a packet of biscuits... I wonder why that is.
plinthofmylife wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 8:32 pm Waiting for closet phannie Hank to comment on the video!
I really want you to know this made me laugh so much, thank you for that! :rofl:

Personally I am super excited about all of Dan's projects. Finally we get to see his face :loveeyes: . And after reading the article I wanted to give him a big hug. I love the person it made him but I hate that he when through all that trauma. :c

I LOVED Phil's video. As always, Phil cures all ills for me.
Also, I don't want to be that person... but... it's October :leafpile: and that is the best month to be in this phandom. Ah, that anticipation in October 18th... waiting for dnp to acknowledge the iconic meeting... and they never do. And somehow we expect them to? It's always underwhelming but I love it.
"I still remember... the first day I met you."
"I remember it, too"
Phanshy
cheeky #spon

snoopysadie wrote: Sat Oct 10, 2020 5:27 pm This is literally what I think. Some days I wake up and Dan and Phil are married in my mind but others I know I will never be able to actually say out loud that they are "romantically together" (and I sincerely doubt they will utter the words because all hell would break lose. Maybe if they decided to start a family). Still, I learnt during II that whatever they are, is forever so I don't care too much.
I really don't think all hell would break lose, I think a lot of speculation would obviously go away because most of it is around trying to prove they're a couple, if they share a room, if the other person is at an event that only one posted about or if one has accompanied the other to a family event/holiday. I think the family time would still be speculated about because it seems to be a one way thing at least in the past. People would obviously still try to find their address and where they go on holiday but they do that anyway.
I think if they aren't a couple or break up and either move in to separate homes or it comes out one of them is dating someone else then all hell will break lose but that would happen even if they never confirm their relationship. It's the not knowing that causes the speculation, the only time I've ever doubted if they're a couple was after BIG and after some of Dan's other comments. I'm not saying they owe us the truth of their relationship I understand wanting to set boundaries about what they choose to share and maybe they find it easier to deal with the speculation because we don't really know, so we're just guessing.and possibly the #Phandivorceparty type posts may increase if one doesn't like the others post or comment something that seems to suggest they're single but I'm never sure if they're serious or just trolling because I don't mess with the Twitter phandom where it seems to originate.

Overall I think the majority of people would be excited and happy but it would die down quickly because hardly anyone would be surprised. I don't think we would get the "it hits differently" equivalent videos or comments because we already have a ton of Dan and Phil being boyfriends/husband's for 7 minutes videos.
Last edited by lefthandedism on Sat Oct 10, 2020 10:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: fixed quote tags
snoopysadie

I think they shared enough already.
And at the end of the day it's their life and their relationship.
If they are involved romantically and were to share it... in some ways it would stop being only theirs.
This reminds me a bit of Troye and Connor.
I am listening to A Work in Progress rn and I think they were totally dating. And there was enough scrutiny even with them not saying anything ever. When Troye appeared with Jacob everyone was talking about it and involving Connor. And that was without them saying anything.
In my opinion and from what I've heard them say, confirming a relationship like that makes everyone immediately part of it. Even if we are already involved, we got Dan saying he did feek angry at the scrutiny and that he wants to keep it private. Actually, he said in BIG that what they had was theirs (and suddenly it was glitched out for everybody to see and make comments about).
What I'm trying to say, I guess, is that even if we want it, even if we love them and support them and have been able to accept ourselves because of them, I think wanting them to say it at this point is coming from a selfish place. It's more of a whim. We don't really want it for them. We want it for us. And I am guilty of this too.
But it's not really ours. Even if we see it.
"I remember it, too"
shan
morning quiff

snoopysadie wrote: Sat Oct 10, 2020 5:27 pm
shan wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 4:11 am On the topic of Phil, and sorry if this has been discussed before, but I was wondering what people's thoughts are about the his channel membership?
I was shocked to see that it's so pricey for you! I actually got it a couple months ago because it was SO cheap in my currency. It literally costs the same as a packet of biscuits... I wonder why that is.
I'm in Australia so things tend to be more expensive for us but this one makes no sense since it's just an online membership. I checked Safiya's channel and she no longer has memberships so the only comparison I could find is Pewdiepie. His membership is $3 a month and that money goes to a charity decided by his channel members. Not saying that Phil should donate his membership costs, Pewdiepie has over 100 million subscribers and he needs literally none of the money. But I think that's about what Safiya's was as well.

To use your comparison, the $3 subscriptions would be a packet of good quality biscuits and the $6 for Phil's is roughly the monthly cost of a streaming service. I'll keep paying it but I really wish he'd give me more of an incentive.

His newest video was great though! Somehow I don't think he'll have the game devs of Mario Kart knocking on his door about making a colon-inspired track :lol:

Edit: But a Magic School Bus inspired track through the body would actually be pretty great!!
snoopysadie

shan wrote: Sun Oct 11, 2020 12:33 am
snoopysadie wrote: Sat Oct 10, 2020 5:27 pm
I'm in Australia so things tend to be more expensive for us but this one makes no sense since it's just an online membership. I checked Safiya's channel and she no longer has memberships so the only comparison I could find is Pewdiepie. His membership is $3 a month and that money goes to a charity decided by his channel members. Not saying that Phil should donate his membership costs, Pewdiepie has over 100 million subscribers and he needs literally none of the money. But I think that's about what Safiya's was as well.

To use your comparison, the $3 subscriptions would be a packet of good quality biscuits and the $6 for Phil's is roughly the monthly cost of a streaming service. I'll keep paying it but I really wish he'd give me more of an incentive.

His newest video was great though! Somehow I don't think he'll have the game devs of Mario Kart knocking on his door about making a colon-inspired track :lol:
That sucks! I'm really excited about the emojis but I can't think of anything to make on paint (which is literally as far as my desing/editing skills go).
I hope he is more active and you feel like you're getting your money's worth.
"I remember it, too"
sapienveneficus
rainbow nerd

Phanshy wrote: Sat Oct 10, 2020 10:25 pm
I really don't think all hell would break lose, I think a lot of speculation would obviously go away because most of it is around trying to prove they're a couple, if they share a room, if the other person is at an event that only one posted about or if one has accompanied the other to a family event/holiday. I think the family time would still be speculated about because it seems to be a one way thing at least in the past. People would obviously still try to find their address and where they go on holiday but they do that anyway.
I think if they aren't a couple or break up and either move in to separate homes or it comes out one of them is dating someone else then all hell will break lose but that would happen even if they never confirm their relationship. It's the not knowing that causes the speculation, the only time I've ever doubted if they're a couple was after BIG and after some of Dan's other comments. I'm not saying they owe us the truth of their relationship I understand wanting to set boundaries about what they choose to share and maybe they find it easier to deal with the speculation because we don't really know, so we're just guessing.and possibly the #Phandivorceparty type posts may increase if one doesn't like the others post or comment something that seems to suggest they're single but I'm never sure if they're serious or just trolling because I don't mess with the Twitter phandom where it seems to originate.

Overall I think the majority of people would be excited and happy but it would die down quickly because hardly anyone would be surprised. I don't think we would get the "it hits differently" equivalent videos or comments because we already have a ton of Dan and Phil being boyfriends/husband's for 7 minutes videos.
I agree, with the bolded parts especially. It's human nature to be enticed by the allure of mystery. Once a mystery has been solved, the human mind seeks out a new mystery. Think of Lance Bass. For all the kids reading this, Lance Bass was a member of the 90s-early 2000s boyband NCYNC. Think of them as One Direction but with dancing or BTS only not Korean. Sorry, this is veering dangerously into "Hey, you kids, get off my lawn" territory. Back to Lance, in the height of his popularity, the American press was mad with speculation about his sexuality. The issue was brought up at just about every interview he gave, and blind items about who he was or wasn't dating appeared regularly in our tabloids here in the states (and maybe worldwide, I don't know). When he came out, the speculation and attention vanished. It was like someone blew out a candle and the room fell completely dark. Why? Because folks really didn't care if he was gay, most assumed he was, what they cared about was the mystery. Once the mystery had been solved, they moved on.

Taking things back Dan and Phil, I agree that if their relationship were ever to be confirmed, there might be a moment or two of phandom euphoria, and then nothing. I think, over the years, many people have been drawn into the phandom because of the mystery of Dan and Phil's relationship. Humans can't help it; we're drawn to the unknown. The cynic in me can't help but assume that this, more than the need to preserve their privacy, is why Dan and Phil have never confirmed their relationship in clear, straightforward way. Why? Because if their only motivation was privacy, a simple statement would have completely quelled all the invasive speculation. "Hey there, everyone, Phil and I are dating and we are never going to talk about it. End of story. Now who wants to talk about Guild Wars?" That's all it would take if privacy were their only motivation for secrecy. If, however, that desire for privacy was balanced with a desire to keep an active fanbase, then there would be a financial incentive to never completely quell the speculation. Speculation keeps folks engaged, it keeps them coming back.

Now, of course, I'm not saying that all of their fans are hanging on waiting for that moment of confirmation. But it can't be denied that this speculation has brought many into the phandom over the years. And even today, in 2020, some are still waiting for that moment; for that mystery to finally be solved. And, these boys aren't dumb, they know that. And I think that's why they've never confirmed their relationship.
"Someone, somewhere is into that." Daniel Howell
hello9217
flower crown

I genuinely dislike when people say they don’t say the nature of their relationship in order to keep people interested in them. Like they don’t even mention one another much at all anymore, let alone take a picture or make a video together. People said this before they came out too and it just doesn’t sit right with me. They don’t tell anyone because for nine and a half years every aspect of their relationship was analyzed and they were both outed very early on in their careers. With dan’s relationship to his sexuality being what it was at the time during all this, I’m sure this didn’t sit right with either of them. So if now they finally get to have something that is truly just theirs without having to tell people anything about it, how is that them just not saying anything just an excuse to keep a fan base? I’m sure it feels so good to finally have something that is truly just yours and yours alone after sharing so much of it without ever really knowing the extent that it would build to.

Also as an aside, I also don’t understand how saying that someone is your soulmate and saying they made you feel safe for the first time ever and saying “...and I bet so many people want to know so much more about that, which I take as a compliment,” is literally not confirmation of their relationship. Dan said that he understands people want to know more about their relationship and HE TAKES IT AS A COMPLIMENT because of how good the thing between them is! Like how is that not confirmation. How is them still living together and getting a pet together and continuing to support one another not confirmation?!
BrothAndBrine
delia smith

hello9217 wrote: Sun Oct 11, 2020 3:49 am I genuinely dislike when people say they don’t say the nature of their relationship in order to keep people interested in them. Like they don’t even mention one another much at all anymore, let alone take a picture or make a video together. People said this before they came out too and it just doesn’t sit right with me. They don’t tell anyone because for nine and a half years every aspect of their relationship was analyzed and they were both outed very early on in their careers. With dan’s relationship to his sexuality being what it was at the time during all this, I’m sure this didn’t sit right with either of them. So if now they finally get to have something that is truly just theirs without having to tell people anything about it, how is that them just not saying anything just an excuse to keep a fan base? I’m sure it feels so good to finally have something that is truly just yours and yours alone after sharing so much of it without ever really knowing the extent that it would build to.

Also as an aside, I also don’t understand how saying that someone is your soulmate and saying they made you feel safe for the first time ever and saying “...and I bet so many people want to know so much more about that, which I take as a compliment,” is literally not confirmation of their relationship. Dan said that he understands people want to know more about their relationship and HE TAKES IT AS A COMPLIMENT because of how good the thing between them is! Like how is that not confirmation.
This is so beautiful. :elephant: :sunshine:
And also tragic. But more so beautiful because I like the way you worded it. <3
noodlebum
flower crown

The gif above is mesmerising
shan
morning quiff

To add, I used to read a lot of people who criticised them for queer-baiting. Like wtf? People aren’t allowed to have friendships/relationships without explicitly stating the status of said relationship or they’re melodiously misleading people?

From BIG and subsequent interviews it’s so obvious why they couldn’t present themselves officially as a couple, from not being out to his family to the genuine trauma he experienced growing up. Hard agree that the media interest and speculation meant that their relationship is something they’re likely incredibly protective of.

Since BIG, they’ve been actively moving away from being ‘Dan and Phil’ to establish individual careers so the mystery around their relationship is something that really isn’t going to draw in many new fans. Rather, their relationship status is likely mainly interesting to fans of their older content. I think if they were trying to use their relationship to draw in fans, Dan would have been in AP videos a lot more by now and reference Phil more in his interviews other than a short paragraph in the Attitude article when Phil is clearly a big part of his story and the online speculation he talks about resenting. He’s not even mentioned by name in the iTV podcast, just once as ‘my friend’.

And the baby gif is indeed mesmerising :loveeyes: