Dan & Phil Part 97: Arch enemies and Husbands

Our two favourite full time internet nerds who never go outside!
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie
Pronouns: she/her

Amiaw wrote: Fri Nov 13, 2020 11:50 pm Phil’s been active and I do wish he’d be more present but he’s never taken a long break or completely disappeared so if he goes quiet for awhile it’s usually because he has something going on.

If he is going to be more active though I’m putting it out there that I’m ready for liveshows to come back so if Phil could hurry and start streaming on Twitch I’d appreciate it
Yeah... I do have a certain level of trust for Phil not to entire disappear on us. His next video is always just around the corner, even if sometimes it takes a little longer than we'd like just because we're all impatient to see his face regularly.

God I want Phil streaming on Twitch. Pleaaaaaaseeeeeeeee Phiw.
vernotte
smol bean

god yes. phil being a proper twitch streamer with sub goals and emotes. i would sacrifice everything i have for that. SIGN ME UPP :rainbowtears:
because everyone else is boring and you're different
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

This gifset is too pretty not to share here.
laurenbacall
delia smith

just clocked how low the views are on phil's videos this year... i'm glad that he's keeping going out of love for doing it, but i guess that he's doing more spons lately for a good reason
Secretstanner
truth bomb

laurenbacall wrote: Sun Nov 15, 2020 10:42 pm just clocked how low the views are on phil's videos this year... i'm glad that he's keeping going out of love for doing it, but i guess that he's doing more spons lately for a good reason
Lol Your post makes it seem like he’s getting 10 views a video. 300k per video isn’t bad. I look at any video on YouTube and see that and don’t think twice. He’s not at the point of doing it for just love when this is his income. I have seen a decline in views with him obviously compared to over 2 years ago. I do think it’s multiple things added to make it seem like such a dramatic drop. And it probably is discouraging but I think he’s still making the videos he wants to make which good for him. He’s not the only one I’ve seen views drop by “a lot” in the past year. Other big youtubers with the same/more subscriber counts. Getting the same views round about.

And I do wonder why? Why Have 300k-400k of viewers just decided to no longer watch? Not just him but others ive seen aswel. People are always going to lose popularity or (I hate this word) relevance. I think they both have had an amazing career on YouTube and maintained a dedicated audience which others have failed at. Today you will see someone come up on YouTube and getting 4 million per videos, then in 2 years the “relevance” has gone. I have some thoughts and feelings to why but if anyone else wants to add any input then please do.

Also yes phil pretty! Share more pictures of your face. I miss you
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

Secretstanner wrote: Sun Nov 15, 2020 11:50 pm
laurenbacall wrote: Sun Nov 15, 2020 10:42 pm just clocked how low the views are on phil's videos this year... i'm glad that he's keeping going out of love for doing it, but i guess that he's doing more spons lately for a good reason
Lol Your post makes it seem like he’s getting 10 views a video. 300k per video isn’t bad. I look at any video on YouTube and see that and don’t think twice. He’s not at the point of doing it for just love when this is his income. I have seen a decline in views with him obviously compared to over 2 years ago. I do think it’s multiple things added to make it seem like such a dramatic drop. And it probably is discouraging but I think he’s still making the videos he wants to make which good for him. He’s not the only one I’ve seen views drop by “a lot” in the past year. Other big youtubers with the same/more subscriber counts. Getting the same views round about.

And I do wonder why? Why Have 300k-400k of viewers just decided to no longer watch? Not just him but others ive seen aswel. People are always going to lose popularity or (I hate this word) relevance. I think they both have had an amazing career on YouTube and maintained a dedicated audience which others have failed at. Today you will see someone come up on YouTube and getting 4 million per videos, then in 2 years the “relevance” has gone. I have some thoughts and feelings to why but if anyone else wants to add any input then please do.

Also yes phil pretty! Share more pictures of your face. I miss you
The relevance thing is spot on. (Also, I hate the word, too.)I think shifting genres in youtube popularity (not just in what people watch but what the platform recommends) has something to do with it. I realized today that the Dolan Twins, who have 10m subscribers, haven't broken a milion views on a video in the past month and even before that their views are 1-2 million - down drastically from a year ago.

I think Phil's probably content with the trade off, though. I imagine there's a point where it became 'we can keep doing this and maintain popularity or we can have a private life and let ourselves grow' and they made that choice. They've always been their most popular when a pair, and Phil's channel has always lagged in views and subscribers, but it feels very honest to themselves that Phil wanted to keep doing it so he is.

Also... he's gotta be making some bank with those spons. Disney?? Yeah. He's still relevant in advertiser minds.
inanerat
eclipse shirt
Pronouns: he/she/they

vernotte wrote: Sat Nov 14, 2020 8:27 pm god yes. phil being a proper twitch streamer with sub goals and emotes. i would sacrifice everything i have for that. SIGN ME UPP :rainbowtears:
I have made a post about this before but thiiiissssss.

It's been on my mind 'cause I've been watching a LOT of twitch recently and lots of youtubers (or ex-youtubers) are on there as well. Like Phil has joined with Arden and Will, PJ has been streaming loads, and I've popped into a few of Dean Dobbs and Charlie McDonnell's streams recently too. I mean, c'mon Phil, all the nerdy old school yt kids are doing it, get on the damn train.

It is interesting to think of what it would look like for Phil. Overall I think there's a lot of positives. First of all he really has most if not all of the setup he needs, he had a greenscreen, camera and mic setup for younow and he was also already using OBS so he knows how to do that, and how to set up scenes, put up background images, etc. He played a couple games on younow too so he knows how to do all the game capture stuff for streaming. Plus, now that he has emotes for YT members, he already has good and fun emote art, and knows that if he wanted more the community would jUMP at making more. Furthermore twitch has lots of different modes of interaction, some paid and some not. I think Phil could do a lot with channel points and they would make a fun piece of interaction for people that couldn't pay for premium messages on younow. You can customize the amounts and different options as well as the standards, but I could 100% imagine fun things like redeeming rainbow lights or something. Someone I watch (shoutout to m'boy ravs) has a redeemable (for quite a lot of points) dab and I think that is fully up Phil's chaotic alley. In terms of revenue there's subscriptions, which I know I would personally prefer to sub to Phil on twitch than YT but that's just me, and I think Phil could probably get quite a few people to twitch that aren't on it a lot so he could get a lot of people to use their prime sub on him too and bits built into twitch. Ad money ofc as well. He could stick with those or set up a separate direct dono/tip jar only if he wanted to.

There are a few things that I wonder how he would do with/handle. All of which are completely overcomable and within his range but they're interesting to consider. Thinking about Phil on twitch, I've always wondered how he would handle modding. You don't technically have to have mods, plus you can have bot mods, blacklisted words, etc., and I guess younow never had chat mods, but pretty much all 100+ viewer streams have a mod or two hanging out. Mods are often long-term community members who have been with streamers since they were small and started, or friends of the streamer. However with someone like Phil who would be starting out with a substantial audience, idk how he would do mods. I guess having friends help out, but idk somehow I don't get the vibe that he's super close with that many people that would be up for it?? Maybe I'm wrong on that one. The other thing I think about with Phil and his style compared to most streams I watch is that Phil has a much shorter, intensely packed form of entertainment, rather than more chill, drawn out stuff. Even on younow, his streams were usually just around an hour, dnpg streams too. Which you can totally do on twitch, and if he was just going to chat the whole time I could see it being short, but most streams I watch are 2-3 hours, most of the time being game-focused. If Phil wanted to play games maybe he could do that, but if he didn't or even if he did it's a little harder for me to imagine Phil going on for 2 hours, not that I wouldn't love to see it. He has a lot of energy but seems to like to keep things changing and longer streaming is definitely a different vibe. I do wonder if being a little more chilled out, being out, swearing a little bit on AP would make him feel like he had a bit more 'stamina?' I guess for streaming. :shrug:

In conclusion, thank you for reading my essay on Why Phil Should Get His Ass On Twitch lmao. With all this, I would LOVE Phil to stream on twitch and if he did I think, especially if they are moving/have moved, that we probably wouldn't get anything until January at least :( Getting things set up, and with the oddities of the holidays, it just seems like waiting 'til the new year when he could be more consistent about it would be likely.

p.s. on YT views and 'relevance' I think we've talked about this a thread or two ago, but from what I see, Phil's pattern is consistent with a lot of YT channels that were big around the time he was. I mentioned then that maybe I'm just old and not up to date/interested in what is really popular on YT now, but I feel like YT as a platform has lost it's 'relevance'/ isn't really in its hayday anymore. And even though Phil may get less views now, I think the core audience that stays and it still here is quite loyal. As long as he's still having fun with it and it's doing enough (which I don't think has to be tons, especially when he's doing other things) on the money front, it's good for him and good for us, regardless of historical viewcount comparisons.

Ok, sorry that was a lot(tm)
peepoLeave
:transheart: :transheart: :transheart:
vernotte
smol bean

inanerat wrote: Mon Nov 16, 2020 4:31 am
vernotte wrote: Sat Nov 14, 2020 8:27 pm god yes. phil being a proper twitch streamer with sub goals and emotes. i would sacrifice everything i have for that. SIGN ME UPP :rainbowtears:
I have made a post about this before but thiiiissssss.

It's been on my mind 'cause I've been watching a LOT of twitch recently and lots of youtubers (or ex-youtubers) are on there as well. Like Phil has joined with Arden and Will, PJ has been streaming loads, and I've popped into a few of Dean Dobbs and Charlie McDonnell's streams recently too. I mean, c'mon Phil, all the nerdy old school yt kids are doing it, get on the damn train.

It is interesting to think of what it would look like for Phil. Overall I think there's a lot of positives. First of all he really has most if not all of the setup he needs, he had a greenscreen, camera and mic setup for younow and he was also already using OBS so he knows how to do that, and how to set up scenes, put up background images, etc. He played a couple games on younow too so he knows how to do all the game capture stuff for streaming. Plus, now that he has emotes for YT members, he already has good and fun emote art, and knows that if he wanted more the community would jUMP at making more. Furthermore twitch has lots of different modes of interaction, some paid and some not. I think Phil could do a lot with channel points and they would make a fun piece of interaction for people that couldn't pay for premium messages on younow. You can customize the amounts and different options as well as the standards, but I could 100% imagine fun things like redeeming rainbow lights or something. Someone I watch (shoutout to m'boy ravs) has a redeemable (for quite a lot of points) dab and I think that is fully up Phil's chaotic alley. In terms of revenue there's subscriptions, which I know I would personally prefer to sub to Phil on twitch than YT but that's just me, and I think Phil could probably get quite a few people to twitch that aren't on it a lot so he could get a lot of people to use their prime sub on him too and bits built into twitch. Ad money ofc as well. He could stick with those or set up a separate direct dono/tip jar only if he wanted to.

There are a few things that I wonder how he would do with/handle. All of which are completely overcomable and within his range but they're interesting to consider. Thinking about Phil on twitch, I've always wondered how he would handle modding. You don't technically have to have mods, plus you can have bot mods, blacklisted words, etc., and I guess younow never had chat mods, but pretty much all 100+ viewer streams have a mod or two hanging out. Mods are often long-term community members who have been with streamers since they were small and started, or friends of the streamer. However with someone like Phil who would be starting out with a substantial audience, idk how he would do mods. I guess having friends help out, but idk somehow I don't get the vibe that he's super close with that many people that would be up for it?? Maybe I'm wrong on that one. The other thing I think about with Phil and his style compared to most streams I watch is that Phil has a much shorter, intensely packed form of entertainment, rather than more chill, drawn out stuff. Even on younow, his streams were usually just around an hour, dnpg streams too. Which you can totally do on twitch, and if he was just going to chat the whole time I could see it being short, but most streams I watch are 2-3 hours, most of the time being game-focused. If Phil wanted to play games maybe he could do that, but if he didn't or even if he did it's a little harder for me to imagine Phil going on for 2 hours, not that I wouldn't love to see it. He has a lot of energy but seems to like to keep things changing and longer streaming is definitely a different vibe. I do wonder if being a little more chilled out, being out, swearing a little bit on AP would make him feel like he had a bit more 'stamina?' I guess for streaming. :shrug:

In conclusion, thank you for reading my essay on Why Phil Should Get His Ass On Twitch lmao. With all this, I would LOVE Phil to stream on twitch and if he did I think, especially if they are moving/have moved, that we probably wouldn't get anything until January at least :( Getting things set up, and with the oddities of the holidays, it just seems like waiting 'til the new year when he could be more consistent about it would be likely.

p.s. on YT views and 'relevance' I think we've talked about this a thread or two ago, but from what I see, Phil's pattern is consistent with a lot of YT channels that were big around the time he was. I mentioned then that maybe I'm just old and not up to date/interested in what is really popular on YT now, but I feel like YT as a platform has lost it's 'relevance'/ isn't really in its hayday anymore. And even though Phil may get less views now, I think the core audience that stays and it still here is quite loyal. As long as he's still having fun with it and it's doing enough (which I don't think has to be tons, especially when he's doing other things) on the money front, it's good for him and good for us, regardless of historical viewcount comparisons.

Ok, sorry that was a lot(tm)
peepoLeave
i agree SO MUCH. crossing my fingers for twitch phil
because everyone else is boring and you're different
adorally
phillion/danosaur <//3

Yike I think I am on team no-Twitch. Just because I prefer the editing on DanandPhilGAMES and couldn't sit through a 3-hour gaming video complete with long pauses and mess-ups. Not on a regular basis anyway. And I like the one-hourish liveshow that has a nice, quick update on what's going on in his life---->"ItS LiKe A PoDCasT!!"

I see where y'all are coming from though b/c yeah everybody's Twitch streaming nowadays. And it would be nice to see how Phil experiments w that platform!
:straggy: :betta: :maskup:
liola
rankussy

I watch twitch streamers all the time, like my I'm used to 6h+ streams with no issue. I would love for Phil to use twitch for liveshows because it's a reliable platform but I don't know if it's a good fit for him actually. If he did do it properly he would be amazing because like I said another time, he has the perfect random humor that makes it enjoyable to listen to him, but he would never like to use it for more than 1 hour and it has 10x the users of Younow as a platform, and having high viewership puts you in the spotlight right away, you get suggested randomly, it can get spammy really quickly.

Also I'm sure that 90% of the reason why Phil started doing liveshows again was because he has a deal with Younow otherwise I honestly doubt he would've done it. Twitch doesn't do that kind of deal, not unless you're a big name in the platform (and even then, it's hard) so he would have no incentive to do it just because. He interacts minimally with the audience let's be honest.
Will probably never be over the BONCAS and the beauty of Phil Lester.

Official Moving Hill Mayor
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

liola wrote: Mon Nov 16, 2020 2:26 pm I watch twitch streamers all the time, like my I'm used to 6h+ streams with no issue. I would love for Phil to use twitch for liveshows because it's a reliable platform but I don't know if it's a good fit for him actually. If he did do it properly he would be amazing because like I said another time, he has the perfect random humor that makes it enjoyable to listen to him, but he would never like to use it for more than 1 hour and it has 10x the users of Younow as a platform, and having high viewership puts you in the spotlight right away, you get suggested randomly, it can get spammy really quickly.

Also I'm sure that 90% of the reason why Phil started doing liveshows again was because he has a deal with Younow otherwise I honestly doubt he would've done it. Twitch doesn't do that kind of deal, not unless you're a big name in the platform (and even then, it's hard) so he would have no incentive to do it just because. He interacts minimally with the audience let's be honest.
You're right. If he did it, he'd definitely do it his style. I don't think he'd be comfortable or have the capacity to put the kind of casual energy other people do into it. What's easy for one person to do for hours is hell for another, and I hadn't thought about the fact that he'd have to contend with Twitch audiences. I don't think he'd want nor appreciate people who don't already know him critiquing how he does a stream - people that come in expecting a calm chill PJ vibe or some intensely game-driven streams and getting Phil's on-screen self, all awkward jokes and trying to engage with the audience, instead.

In other news, happy three years to this:
Phanshy
cheeky #spon

I rarely watch Twitch, most of the streams I watch are on YouTube which I do enjoy as a platform more both for gaming and chatty lives, I couldn't sit through the ones Phil did recently because of the other people no hate to them but in general I find the more people involved the less I can engage with it. I would be really excited if he started gaming because I really enjoyed it when he played them on YouNow and he wouldn't have to put all the effort in to finding talking points and he could mostly ignore the chat.

I do wonder how long Phil will continue YouTube as his main career with his average monthly views declining. I was watching a chatty live yesterday that actually made me think about it from someone in the beauty space and she said she needs to average 1 million views a month to make what she did as a teacher and keep YouTube sustainable, even with sponsored videos that are probably paid a bit more than the type of spons Phil does because they are full videos dedicated to the products most of the time and more relevant to the audience than most of one's Phil has done.
Amiaw
interactive introvert

As for liveshows- I do think the younow shows were because of a contract but he did go to the trouble of getting verified on Twitch so I still think he has plans to use it.

His views have been lower the last few videos and I don’t know if it’s because things have stayed the same even after dan’s reappearance or if it’s because Phil’s been largely absent this last month or so but I wouldn’t worry about him. I watch several channels that get similar views and they all seem to be doing alright and he does have quite a few sponsors so if anything I’d probably compare him to someone like Louise. Her views aren’t great but she does really well and that’s because she’s established and works with companies all the time.

I know this is a conversation that comes up but I don’t really like it. I watch channels because I enjoy them and not because of their view count and I think if Phil was different I’d enjoy his content less. As long as he’s happy with making videos I’ll watch them
obvsly
#relatable

Hi all!
I haven't caught up with anything yet so I'll take my time reading now but, firstly...
alittledizzy wrote: Mon Nov 16, 2020 2:47 pm In other news, happy three years to this:
Wasn't this sent by an IDBer? Ahh sorry I forgot their name.
Come to think of it, our members seem to have caused quite a lot of iconic phan moments :lol:
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

Phanshy wrote: Mon Nov 16, 2020 3:48 pm I rarely watch Twitch, most of the streams I watch are on YouTube which I do enjoy as a platform more both for gaming and chatty lives, I couldn't sit through the ones Phil did recently because of the other people no hate to them but in general I find the more people involved the less I can engage with it. I would be really excited if he started gaming because I really enjoyed it when he played them on YouNow and he wouldn't have to put all the effort in to finding talking points and he could mostly ignore the chat.

I do wonder how long Phil will continue YouTube as his main career with his average monthly views declining. I was watching a chatty live yesterday that actually made me think about it from someone in the beauty space and she said she needs to average 1 million views a month to make what she did as a teacher and keep YouTube sustainable, even with sponsored videos that are probably paid a bit more than the type of spons Phil does because they are full videos dedicated to the products most of the time and more relevant to the audience than most of one's Phil has done.
I've heard the ballpark figure for influencers is to charge $50 per every 10,000 followers you have - even if you lowball that, for Phil an instagram ad would be raking in upwards of 10k. Companies like Disney and Nintendo probably pay a premium, too. I think there's likely some value in being an influencer with an actual personality-driven audience. A beauty youtuber shilling a beauty product to an audience has to contend with the fact that those subscribers are probably being inundated with advertisements for products, whereas when Phil does a spon for something we all end up talking about it at least a little bit.

Also I wonder if being in the UK helps Phil? There are people that barely make youtube videos but still get ads regularly and I assume that's how they make their living because they don't seem to have anything else going on?

Also also, this made me curious to go look and... dapg is actually still pulling more monthly views than Dan or Phil's individual channels. (Though AP is not far behind it.) Though Phil hasn't posted yet this month so that's just taking in the last two October videos.
inanerat
eclipse shirt
Pronouns: he/she/they

Cornelia has been posting about her houseplants on her insta story recently which has been bringing my joy, she mentions/talks about one she got as a present from deppy today if you care to go see it
:transheart: :transheart: :transheart:
LAshleigh
rainbow nerd

Honestly valid, although I'm more team this person:
Susanisnotafish
flower crown
Pronouns: She/her

inanerat wrote: Mon Nov 16, 2020 8:11 pm Cornelia has been posting about her houseplants on her insta story recently which has been bringing my joy, she mentions/talks about one she got as a present from deppy today if you care to go see it
I love how they’ve always been joint gift givers. I’m guessing Phil usually picks out the gifts.
"Rub those freckles all over me!" --Daniel Howell
shan
morning quiff

alittledizzy wrote: Mon Nov 16, 2020 5:04 pm
Phanshy wrote: Mon Nov 16, 2020 3:48 pm I rarely watch Twitch, most of the streams I watch are on YouTube which I do enjoy as a platform more both for gaming and chatty lives, I couldn't sit through the ones Phil did recently because of the other people no hate to them but in general I find the more people involved the less I can engage with it. I would be really excited if he started gaming because I really enjoyed it when he played them on YouNow and he wouldn't have to put all the effort in to finding talking points and he could mostly ignore the chat.

I've heard the ballpark figure for influencers is to charge $50 per every 10,000 followers you have - even if you lowball that, for Phil an instagram ad would be raking in upwards of 10k. Companies like Disney and Nintendo probably pay a premium, too. I think there's likely some value in being an influencer with an actual personality-driven audience. A beauty youtuber shilling a beauty product to an audience has to contend with the fact that those subscribers are probably being inundated with advertisements for products, whereas when Phil does a spon for something we all end up talking about it at least a little bit.

Also I wonder if being in the UK helps Phil? There are people that barely make youtube videos but still get ads regularly and I assume that's how they make their living because they don't seem to have anything else going on?

Also also, this made me curious to go look and... dapg is actually still pulling more monthly views than Dan or Phil's individual channels. (Though AP is not far behind it.) Though Phil hasn't posted yet this month so that's just taking in the last two October videos.
I think the views from their old videos would keep them well taken care of, even if Phil's new ones weren't raking in the money. Considering he has sponsorships for most videos these days, I have no doubt they are though. DnPG is my go-to comfort channel and the vids are so rewatch-able I'm not surprised it's outdoing AP honestly, especially with this hellfire of a year and the nearly 2 year (!!) joint content drought.

On sponsorships, I was watching a video a while ago and apparently management companies can play a huge role in how much the person gets for them too. Their example was, if you're with a douche-y company and don't read the contract properly, they can take something like $10k of a $15k spon, only passing $5k to the influencer. I don't know if that was an exaggeration but I can definitely imagine money-hungry companies taking advantage of particularly naive up-and-coming influencers by taking a 66% cut of the deal.
Amiaw
interactive introvert

Twitter rolled out their new fleets feature to some people and looks like dnp already tried it
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

How did I not see either of these on my twitter feed anywhere? Do that few people have the new twitter feature? I wonder if verified accounts got it first...

Also, alright, Phil. I see we're going with the 'move? what move?' approach still.
Amiaw
interactive introvert

I didn’t have the update when they posted their stories but I have it now. Twitters just being slow with getting it out to everyone
Megancita75
ar·tic·u·late

Silly question, but in the Phil picture at Japan Disney, does his pose have any significance? I thought maybe it was a reference, or maybe it's just a silly pose.

Also: love the new site redesign :leafpile:
glitterintheair
phillluminati

I got the Fleets feature months ago (maybe a couple? I don’t remember but I’ve never used it) but like.. do we really need that? Do we?
I'm a winter flower underground, always thirsty for summer rain.
autumnhearth
senpai

Megancita75 wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 4:27 pm Silly question, but in the Phil picture at Japan Disney, does his pose have any significance? I thought maybe it was a reference, or maybe it's just a silly pose.

Also: love the new site redesign :leafpile:
It appears to me that he is doing a sort of looking for land or survivors pose. Knowing him I would be shocked if the lines: ‘Is anyone alive out there? Can anyone hear me?’ *weren’t going through his head at the time.

Ditto on the new layout!

I hope :straggy: have new kind humans. How long do you suppose Phil can post old photos and video clips? I hope he gives it up before Christmas.