Dan & Phil Part 97: Arch enemies and Husbands

Our two favourite full time internet nerds who never go outside!
Amiaw
interactive introvert

People can feel how they want and joint content is still a touchy subject but I was taken aback by the phandom response as a whole to Phil’s video announcement. People were livid that Phil would even think of making this video by himself because he made one with dan before and it wouldn’t be fun or it’s taking away another tradition. That’s really unfair to Phil and he obviously saw the uproar because he replied to that tweet about dan being somewhat involved.
People don’t save that energy for dan. He wrote 2 books with Phil and now he’s doing one on his own but nobody expects Phil to be involved because they have separate careers now.

Idk maybe not a good comparison but it gets tiring to see people question Phil’s tweets because some don’t use autocap or wonder if dan helped with his editing because their humor is similar or make up scenarios that would include dan in every single one of his videos. It’s been 2 years since they were dnp and they’re never going to give us joint content again like they did in 2017. If dan does appear in a video great but I don’t understand how seeing his foot for a second or hearing his voice for 20 seconds adds enough to the video that he NEEDS to be in it.

Anyways super excited for whatever this will be and am looking forward to Phil trying some outfits. I really hope he does at least one good suit look
Templeofshame
rainbow nerd
Pronouns: she/her

Amiaw wrote: Wed Nov 25, 2020 1:04 pm People don’t save that energy for dan. He wrote 2 books with Phil and now he’s doing one on his own but nobody expects Phil to be involved because they have separate careers now.
You acknowledge that this is a bad comparison, which I appreciate, but like... If Dan released a book called The Book Is Not On Fire or billed something as being a sequel to one of the previous books just without Phil, people would absolutely be upset. We don't have an inverse situation to react because it's always Dan opting out of things that used to include him; imo this is very much not one of those things that can or should be written off as about some sort of implicit bias against Phil. Phil handled the communication kind of remarkably bad, imo, by giving us a concept we would logically assume Dan to be involved in, then using Fleets to casually "announce" the difference from the previous vid in a way that took Dan out, and then all for nothing because Dan is actually participating in the part Phil implied he wasn't. But anyway, without at all knowing what will happen in the vid, I don't think we need implicit bias (I see a lot more people mad at Dan for withholding himself than holding things against Phil) to be bummed out by the idea of taking another joint series and excising Dan from it.
glitterintheair
phillluminati

Yeah, people weren’t expecting Phil to be part of Dan’s book because said book is something brand new, it’s not part of something they did before as a unit. Just like how people (the majority of it, at least) don’t expect Dan to be in videos that Phil makes that don’t have history. I mean, if Phil goes on twitter and says “I am making a Buying Things from Wish video”, no one would expect Dan to be in it. But in the Outfits video.. people were. I forgot to mention this before but Phil in DML2 even draw the first outfits vid as an example for “more classic content” they would still be creating together.. honestly, I still think they should have just said “we’re not gonna make videos together anymore” and leave it at that, because like this? Yeah, like this people are always gonna expect something from them together.
I'm a winter flower underground, always thirsty for summer rain.
rizzo
unduly facetious
unduly facetious

glitterintheair wrote: Wed Nov 25, 2020 2:48 pm Yeah, people weren’t expecting Phil to be part of Dan’s book because said book is something brand new, it’s not part of something they did before as a unit. Just like how people (the majority of it, at least) don’t expect Dan to be in videos that Phil makes that don’t have history. I mean, if Phil goes on twitter and says “I am making a Buying Things from Wish video”, no one would expect Dan to be in it. But in the Outfits video.. people were. I forgot to mention this before but Phil in DML2 even draw the first outfits vid as an example for “more classic content” they would still be creating together.. honestly, I still think they should have just said “we’re not gonna make videos together anymore” and leave it at that, because like this? Yeah, like this people are always gonna expect something from them together.
I think this one's it for me.

Like, truly, I've come around to our new reality. It is what it is. Dan doesn't do youtube anymore, doesn't want to be perceived as a youtuber, and part of that means not being in videos with Phil very frequently. It is what it is and at the end of the day I'm happy to know they're happy together, whether it be in front of us or not. Also: Phil is his own person and I love his content blahblahblah etcetc

BUT... I'm not gonna start pretending their success and my involvement in this fandom didn't stem almost exclusively from joint content. I'm not gonna pretend I didn't spend literal years watching an endless stream of videos/radio shows/live shows/vlogs all of which involved them both. And as such, as much as I'm going to continue enjoying whatever Phil gives us (especially an outfit video - like idk if there's better content than Phil trying on clothes tbh???), I'll always hope Dan's in it just a little. Because that's what I love. It's no disrespect to Phil in any capacity -- I just... I mean... That's what got me here. Sorry. :shrug:
Amiaw
interactive introvert

I liked joint content too and everyone can watch how they want and that’s fair but I saw some absolute meltdowns on other sites about dan maybe not being in the video. Disappointed is understandable but I kind of feel like it’s the mukbang all over again where they never promised us anything but we took a comment and ran with it and now we expect it. I’m as tired of this conversation as everyone else and I don’t know if we’ll ever entirely stop having this conversation as long as dnp are themselves and terrible at communication.

We’re all here to be entertained though so as long as I get fun videos like this next one I’ll be satisfied. Fingers crossed it’s longer than 10 minutes this time
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

Throwing it back a little bit - I did some basic af timestamps for Phil's closet stories videos for my own reference, so if anyone wants a refresher:

Awkward Stories from the Closet

2:34 - Straight or Gay?
The time Phil looked at a "facts of life" book with his friend that made him think that gay and straight both meant gay. A friend at school referred to him as straight and he got defensive saying he wasn't straight and his friends realized he didn't know what straight meant. (He says at eleven he 'didn't even know what he was.')

4:37 - The Trick
Zapping forward to when he was fourteen or fifteen. He knew he liked guys, had crushes on guys, but was firmly in the closet. A friend that he had a crush on sent him a website where you were supposed to put your name and your crush's name. The website was a prank and all of his answers were emailed to his crush. His crush sent back a message that said "Do you wanna talk?" and Phil had the 'genius brainwave' to say no he knew the site was fake, and he got away with it. Moral of the story: don't trick your friends with fake crush websites, if they still exist.

7:01 - Restaurant Disco
University story. He and his friends with to a Chinese restaurant that turned into a dance place after hours. They went on LGBT+ night and Phil (who "didn't get that many opportunities") was happy because he he could get himself a guy. He got separated from his friends and a guy at the bar started chatting with him. They talked for about ten minutes and he kept looking over to his friends. Phil offered to get him a drink and it was going well until Phil asked the guy why out of everyone in the room he started talking to Phil. The guy started laughing and said that his friends dared him because they thought Phil was the guy from the car insurance commercial. The guy had a girlfriend that wanted a picture with Phil. They got the photo and Phil hung out with the guy's friends for a while.

Awkward Stories from the Closet 2

0:37 - Hypnosis
Phil had a friend ("Dwayne") that wanted Phil to stay over at his house. The friend told Phil he found a way to hypnotize people and Phil was a gullible thirteen year old that believed him. The guy told Phil that Phil could make him do anything when he was hypnotized, even kiss him. Phil told him to be a sheep.

3:07 - Train Guy
Early youtube days. Phil and the guy ("Blaine") were alone on a train together. They were an hour away from York and the guy talks to Phil. They had some bants and Phil was being funny and charming and the guy asked him if he wanted to sit with him and have a beer. They got on well and Phil played it cool but inside was instantly in love. It turned out he lived five doors down from his university house and they shared a taxi back to university. (Phil relied on the taxi driver to protect him.) The guy asked for Phil's number before they got out of the taxi and later on Phil did a brave thing and texted him to ask if he was being friendly or (whole hand air quotes) if he was asking Phil out. The guy responded saying he was straight and just wanted to hang some time. (They kind of became friends and Blaine made out with Phil's university roommate the whole night of his Halloween party.)

6:38 - Mystery Messenger
Toward the end of uni. Someone added him on a messenger and asked him if he liked guys. Phil chatted with him and the guy revealed he went to Phil's uni. The guy didn't want to meet up, just wanted to talk. He was nice in the message but it made Phil paranoid walking around campus. Phil googled his email address and it linked up with another page he had online that had a photo of him. Phil recognized the guy because he sat next to him in some of his lectures, but hadn't talked. Phil messaged his actual facebook just to say hi and the guy freaked out and blocked Phil. Phil felt bad and let the guy be, though Phil 'would have been up for a bit of a flirt.' Phil bumped into him a few years later in London living on the same street as him holding hands with his boyfriend.
rizzo
unduly facetious
unduly facetious

If my eyes aren't deceiving me, it looks like Phil might have a winter candle coming our way soon... :snowflake2:

Guesses based exclusively on Ohros insta stories:

(That very much looks like am AmazingPhilShop logo.)
Phanshy
cheeky #spon

As someone who's first love will always be joint content and would sell my soul for real joint content to come back the reaction to this is so frustrating, it's clear Dan doesn't want to be a youtuber anymore and certainly not a part of the Dan and Phil brand so there's no need for Phil for to announce that anything he's previously done with Dan like baking, gaming, tasting stuff or viewers pick my outfit that Dan won't be in the video, if he is great but I personally don't watch Phil in the off chance Dan might be there or be mentioned, Phil isn't your Dan content provider, he made those videos for attitude and I'm sure in the new year he'll be doing more things in the lead up to his book, there's no need to make everything Phil does about him. When I saw Phil's tweet Dan never crossed my mind I was just generally excited to see him in some cute outfits out of his comfort zone and hopefully ignore all the joke suggestions, to see people making it about Dan again really bothers me because I enjoy all this type of content from Phil I don't want him to steer clear of it because of disappointing people because Dan doesn't want to do it anymore.
madzilla84
eclipse shirt

Oooh candles!! :aquarius: :mysoul: The Big Merch Drop/shop merger last year was on Nov 28th so I wouldn't be surprised if we heard something soon; they also had a Black Friday sale then. Last year we had Phil's cosy browsing range and Dan's skeleton jumper/scarf/blankets etc, as well as the merger of the 3 shops ... I wonder if they'll do that again this year, or if it'll just be Phil this time? Dan hasn't had any merch out this year (has he? this is the year that's lasted a decade; I might be forgetting something), so who knows if he'll do something for Xmas ... for the joint shop, I guess it depends on whether they still have any Xmas jumpers to sell lol. I feel like they might have gotten rid of most of them last year, but who knows. Let's just say I'm not holding out much hope for a third Christmas card, lol. (But would love one!)
blackbirddan.tumblr.com
Templeofshame
rainbow nerd

Phanshy wrote: Wed Nov 25, 2020 10:35 pm there's no need to make everything Phil does about him
I guess this is a pet peeve in phandom discourse that this post stumbled into; if someone expresses thoughts that involve Dan in response to anything related to Phil, there's the accusation of "making it about Dan." But we're not the ones who made Viewers Pick My Outfits a collaboration between Dan and Phil; that was their choice, and by referencing the title of the previous video, Phil drew that connection (and "making it about" a joint project is talking about Dan AND Phil, not somehow replacing Phil with Dan). People are going to have different expectations based on Phil's posts, of course, and none of us know yet what involvement Dan will have beyond what Phil's told us. But Phil did mention Dan's involvement, so of course we're gonna talk about it. There's no need to make the discussion of Dan along with Phil in contexts where Dan has been historically and future-ly relevant into some kind of generalized anti-Phil thing.

tl;dr I just wish we could look at people as individuals and situations as specific and not put words into each other's mouths, y'know?

On a different topic, I am here for Cornelia's cliffhanger version of the baking vid.
glitterintheair
phillluminati

I mean, last year Dan wasn’t exactly a YouTuber either and yet he partecipated in a Phil video anyway, so I don’t think that was a stretch to assume it was gonna happen this time too for the second version of a video that they made together? Also “it’s clear Dan doesn’t want to be a YouTuber anymore” yeah, it’s also clear that he doesn’t want to say it for some reason, and since I am not in his mind, nothing is ~clear. Ever wonder why no one bothers Julien about Jenna anymore when he posts videos?

Anyway, I think it’s time for Cornelia to become a full time YouTuber.
I'm a winter flower underground, always thirsty for summer rain.
shan
morning quiff

I'm just gonna throw this out there that I really love Phil's collab videos in general, regardless of who it's with. While he was never exactly prolific at making them with people other than Dan, it wasn't totally uncommon but in the last few years if there was a non-solo video, it was Dan. I adore solo Phil content but videos where he's interacting with other people also have a completely different vibe and are just a lot of fun in their own right, having someone to bounce off rather than talking to an invisible audience. So when there's a video clue that hints at joint content, I do get super excited because it's a genre of Phil content we rarely get anymore but is a lot of fun to watch. And with #2020, the only real option is Dan for now.

I miss his witty banter and awkward stories and watching people react to some of the strange things he says. His couple of guest appearances on Twitch streams have made me miss it even more. I don't think there's anything wrong with being hopeful for Dan's presence in a video similar to one he's been in before. I also don't think he's an expected presence in most videos, at least from what I've seen? I don't venture too far into the depths of the social media side of Phandom but I don't think anyone here's said anything unreasonable. I'm going to keep on hoping for Phil to feed me crumbs of joint content, that doesn't mean I'm going to appreciate his solo vids less.
lefthandedism
simply stressed bisexual
simply stressed bisexual

On the topic of joint content, and another weird milestone in this kinda terrible year, please enjoy the reminder of one of my favorite liveshows:

This was such a great liveshow, and I have such strong memories watching while I was baking apple pie for Thanksgiving dinner at a friend's house. This year, the pie looks excellent, and I am only sad it will be for just two people. But there is still plenty of vintage Deppy content to turn to!

I hope everyone has a happy and safe Thanksgiving, if you are American and celebrating.
"If you're left-handed, ask a friend."
"Why am I left-handed?"
"Everybody makes mistakes."
autumnhearth
senpai

Related to and no doubt inspired by the conversation on this page, I had a dream last night where Dan was doing a solo baking video and people were absolutely outraged. It was in a very traditional not at all modern kitchen that we eventually figured out was a set in a proper studio of sets for things like cooking shows. I don’t remember what he was baking, there was whole wheat flour involved, but in the dream I was able to see behind the scenes that Phil was coming in late, dressed up as something... like a vampire... but not at all looking like a classic vampire. He was very beige... like his hair was slicked and molded into a weird side swoop (a la the cupcake? vampire) and it looked caked with tan mud. I do know he was supposed to play an antagonist in Dan’s video, no idea how that fit into the baking. And then as dreams do, it evolved into something else entirely involving my in-laws. It’s not the first time this year when a dream of mine started out with watching a video of theirs, theorizing the set-up and then being able to freeze and actually turn the “camera”/point of view around to see behind the scenes. Oh the power my mind wields.

Stay safe during the upcoming holidays folks.
liola
rankussy

madzilla84 wrote: Wed Nov 25, 2020 10:56 pm Oooh candles!! :aquarius: :mysoul: The Big Merch Drop/shop merger last year was on Nov 28th so I wouldn't be surprised if we heard something soon; they also had a Black Friday sale then. Last year we had Phil's cosy browsing range and Dan's skeleton jumper/scarf/blankets etc, as well as the merger of the 3 shops ... I wonder if they'll do that again this year, or if it'll just be Phil this time? Dan hasn't had any merch out this year (has he? this is the year that's lasted a decade; I might be forgetting something), so who knows if he'll do something for Xmas ... for the joint shop, I guess it depends on whether they still have any Xmas jumpers to sell lol. I feel like they might have gotten rid of most of them last year, but who knows. Let's just say I'm not holding out much hope for a third Christmas card, lol. (But would love one!)
looks like your prediction might be correct. Yay for exploiting the holiday cheers by giving a limited time to a service they could provide all year round but refuse to do so even when it has been begged for years and would ultimately make them more sales but hey it would send the wrong message of them still having a joint brand which they don't unless it's to get some fucking money with the excuse of :sparkle: christmas :sparkle:
Last edited by liola on Thu Nov 26, 2020 4:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Will probably never be over the BONCAS and the beauty of Phil Lester.

Official Moving Hill Mayor
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

lmao well badly placed post but

I'm still excited for festive merch and a joint shop! :ravetree:
madzilla84
eclipse shirt

I don’t reckon Dan will have any new items, though I wouldn’t mind if he did, but I think it might be his existing stock/maybe some restocks bundled into the festive shop. Personally I’m keeping my fingers crossed for the return of the weighted blankets!
blackbirddan.tumblr.com
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

madzilla84 wrote: Thu Nov 26, 2020 5:01 pm I don’t reckon Dan will have any new items, though I wouldn’t mind if he did, but I think it might be his existing stock/maybe some restocks bundled into the festive shop. Personally I’m keeping my fingers crossed for the return of the weighted blankets!
I'm actually sort of hoping they bring the Christmas cards back, though I'm not holding my breath for it. I didn't get one and for some reason this year I decided that would actually be a nice little memento to have. This year has made me sentimental in weird ways.
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

blahblahblah8
pumpkin spice pumpkin cookie

I like Phil’s winter collection! The jigsaw puzzle is such a cute idea! I used to be obsessed with big puzzles, maybe I’ll get back into it! And I like that he often uses different artists
lefthandedism
simply stressed bisexual
simply stressed bisexual

Here we go:
"Why am I left-handed?"
rizzo
unduly facetious
unduly facetious

This bit from Dan's newsletter:
I've been burrowed deep in a cave of book design, dealing with exciting things like 'QUARTER-BINDINGS' and 'CORRECTING SPELLING MISTAKES' that, and some personal adventures that I'm sure someone named Phil will share with you soon.
:yippee:

I'm SCREECHING.
lefthandedism
simply stressed bisexual
simply stressed bisexual

Merch question: Has anyone gotten the weighted blanket, and if so, can you describe it? Do you like it?

https://us.danandphilshop.com/collectio ... ed-blanket
"Why am I left-handed?"
liola
rankussy

Are y'all ready to finally leave our beautiful and cozy Moving Hill?

I just realized that there is a chance we might get some hints in the outfit video, after all Phil will need space to try on the clothes right? We will notice a new location, they must know this
Will probably never be over the BONCAS and the beauty of Phil Lester.

Official Moving Hill Mayor
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie