Dan & Phil Part 97: Arch enemies and Husbands

Our two favourite full time internet nerds who never go outside!
lefthandedism
simply stressed bisexual
simply stressed bisexual
Pronouns: she/her

"If you're left-handed, ask a friend."
"Why am I left-handed?"
"Everybody makes mistakes."
lefthandedism
simply stressed bisexual
simply stressed bisexual

From the previous thread:
Amiaw wrote: Fri Oct 23, 2020 1:25 pm
madzilla84 wrote: Fri Oct 23, 2020 1:21 pm

This is the last one, right? There were four in total? Ah, it was nice to have Regular Dan for a lil while there :wahh:
I thought there were only supposed to be 4 videos but there’s still a private video in the playlist
"Why am I left-handed?"
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

is it phil time is it phil time is it phil time
Catallena
classy cat lady
classy cat lady

For those who want it, now with poster signed by :DAN :skeleton:

I hate how short it is (it isn't even officially crop like the other one is?) so it's still a no from me.
Twitter *•.(★).•* Tumblr
lefthandedism
simply stressed bisexual
simply stressed bisexual

"Why am I left-handed?"
kavat
pastel persona

A few notes:

- He looks great. Love him in darker colors.
- Why the aubergine emoji!?
- How many marshmallows did he have before filming? He's so hyper
- I don't think he knows what umami is
- Right, zucchini pizza. The aubergine gets a pass.
- The laptop is now spicy :laptoprat:
- He's going all in on the sound effects, the gasp when he sliced the pineapple was quite disturbing

Very festive, very phil!
:psl: :pumpkinphil: :psl:
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

This is such a Phil video. Like, it's not the most interesting ever to me, but I really gotta hand it to him. It is a very Phil video.

I'm pretty sure the date on his laptop was the 18th so I wonder if it took him this long to edit it or he was waiting until they had restock details for the stuff on his shop that's already sold out?

Also, he said the pizza was gonna be dinner, but then he didn't wanna eat much because he didn't wanna ruin his dinner. I really hope he took the rest of that pizza upstairs to split with Dan because... well, just because I'm hungry, and the idea of wasted pizza makes me sad.

I know this wouldn't be Phil's style but if he had limitless time I'd loved to have seen him making a video where he cooked pumpkin spice themed things. Imagine Phil making Halloween shaped pumpkin spice pancakes? And then making his own assortment of pumpkin spiced toppings? Or actual pumpkin toppings, idk.

I just loved the chaos of his birthday cake baking video and I hope he does something else like that again. I love him but the ick-food-factor videos just aren't my jam. But I love seeing him and I love seeing his face and hearing his voice and my Phil craving has been satisfied. :psl:
noodlebum
flower crown

That was wild, loved the crazy editing haha
casualsun
delia smith

alittledizzy wrote: Fri Oct 23, 2020 8:29 pm This is such a Phil video. Like, it's not the most interesting ever to me, but I really gotta hand it to him. It is a very Phil video.

I'm pretty sure the date on his laptop was the 18th so I wonder if it took him this long to edit it or he was waiting until they had restock details for the stuff on his shop that's already sold out?

Also, he said the pizza was gonna be dinner, but then he didn't wanna eat much because he didn't wanna ruin his dinner. I really hope he took the rest of that pizza upstairs to split with Dan because... well, just because I'm hungry, and the idea of wasted pizza makes me sad.

I know this wouldn't be Phil's style but if he had limitless time I'd loved to have seen him making a video where he cooked pumpkin spice themed things. Imagine Phil making Halloween shaped pumpkin spice pancakes? And then making his own assortment of pumpkin spiced toppings? Or actual pumpkin toppings, idk.

I just loved the chaos of his birthday cake baking video and I hope he does something else like that again. I love him but the ick-food-factor videos just aren't my jam. But I love seeing him and I love seeing his face and hearing his voice and my Phil craving has been satisfied. :psl:
The birthday cake baking video is one of my favorite Phil videos ever! I've watched it so many times, honesty like it more than the joint baking videos. I really hope Phil bakes again!!

Anyway, I enjoyed this video! It was fun and I'm glad I could wind down after the work week by watching Phil.
Phanshy
cheeky #spon

That was a fun video, I've never tried anything pumpkin spice in my life but seasoning dry room temperature popcorn when you could do it straight from the microwave while it's warm and buttery seems criminal. :eyerollpumpkin:
Grey
lady door

Yay a Phil video!! I enjoyed it and I admire his dedication to the science to the point of putting pumpkin spice toothpaste in his mouth. Eww

Re pizza
I interpreted it as he took a small piece because he didn’t want to ruin his dinner (the pizza) by dumping pumpkin spice over the whole thing (good call :ghostclaps: ).
I'm having a stress.
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

our clumsy king
blahblahblah8
pumpkin spice pumpkin cookie

I’m obsessed with pumpkin spice and I wanna try the popcorn now! Not the most interesting video but I feel like this was kinda filler for the purpose of showing the merch. I hope he posts another video again soon!
shan
morning quiff

I loved the new video, always fun to watch Phil turn a simple premise into absolute chaos with his overenthusiasm and clumsiness.

I did half-expect him to pull out a pumpkin spice flavoured condom with that eggplant emoji though, ngl :pumpkinphil:
inanerat
eclipse shirt
Pronouns: he/she/they

Gosh, I really enjoyed this vid, it was a bit fast but extremely chaotic and very Phil, the editing was really good, it was exactly what I needed after getting home from work on a friday and a lot like what I expected after the insta story hint.

Thoughts (in order but no actual timestamps soz I'm lazy)
-Pumpkin spice bleach. Phil really is providing the Dan jokes as well
-Reading the spices "basically a whole lot of ground" + 'poet alert' lmao
-Pumpkin spice milk giving me DITL Australia honey milk vibes.
-The slow-mo of the cereal box almost knocking over the glass of milk. the amount of stress I have for this man's computer
-Some reggo cornflake shade? Things are heating up in the cereal fandom.
-After taking a lick of straight up pumpkin spice powder from his hands, Phil dumps/flicks off the rest from his hand right onto the floor. desgostang.
-Phil saying 'oh shit' always cracks me up idk why it's just his tone when he says it
-Wow that oven gets it's first use in 9(?) months!
-Maybe if you hadn't already opened the bag of marshmallows you wouldn't be spilling them all over the place, Phil
-Marshmallows are one of god's delicacies. This man really is a poet.
-The party effect while eating the popcorn. Perhaps my fav editing of the video
-I don't like pepsi/coke anyway. No way that was going to be good.
-Cola sweets also not my thing. I don't see it. I don't think that's what umami is Phil.
-"Are we gonna give it a 3?" "We're gonna give it a 3" peak comedy
-The mental image of Phil taking his laptop, camera card, bag of groceries, and a cooked pizza with one slice out of it back upstairs has me cAcKLing
-After the pizza: "that is the worst thing I've ever put in my mouth" ngl after the aubergine emoji at the begining I was expecting a little pause/cheeky small edit after that one
-The laptop finally takes the hit. Easter tiktok drink video part 2.
-"Pineapple is a solid and a liquid" ??????? Was this random? Is it a reference? I'm...
-I know Phil is an entertainer and practiced at being expressive but his face journeys after tasting things is one of my favorite parts of the video. The pineapple one is my fav.
-"I feel like I've made out with satan" 1.5/5
-I was dreading the toothpaste after seeing it in the thumbnail. Unsurprisingly horrible.
-Merch spon all the way at the end? Who is this patient man?
-The 'amazingphilshop.com' text fading from green to yellow to orange is a nice touch. Gives me major old time Phil rainbow subscribe button vibes
-The candle does look nice. I think I will find a fall candle made by somebody local 'cause I can't be arsed to pay a shitton of shipping for a damn candle
-Pumpkin corgi is cute. I hope there's a puppy-themed calendar out there with a picture of a bunch of puppies in a pumpkin patch for october and if there isn't that's a crime

Good vid, thoroughly enjoyed and will definitely be one I rewatch occasionally. Low key hoping for another halloween themed, maybe spookier vid next week since this is kind of early for halloween, but I won't get my hopes up. That would also be 3 vids in october which would be a lot compared to recent patterns.
:transheart: :transheart: :transheart:
pcvaidya
squish

Phil’s brain is a strange and wonderful place. Would rather be there than the hellscape that is Earth right now.
autumnhearth
senpai

Please tell me he used an unflavored toothpaste as a base. Not that it would help with the unsuitability of the powder (you need super diluted food safe oils) but I shudder at the interaction with mint. I’ve had various cinnamon, fennel and anise toothpastes and I love them, but I think any brand that would market ‘pumpkin spice toothpaste’ would make it fake and gross. Pumpkin spice marshmallow (if you like marshmallows and pumpkin spice) should work, but not if you’re basically doing a cinnamon challenge on top of a marshmallow. The reason the milk works, but the Pepsi doesn’t is because Pepsi is already syrupy. That pizza might work better with something like Chinese five spice, which would bring you closer to umami, not sure what he was thinking with the cola bottle. Thoroughly enjoyed the vid! My wife had to pause it 1/3 of the way in to ask if I hadn’t watched it yet (I had not) because my reactions were so vocal. He’s such an impulsive, goofy, disaster. Love his flappy over reactions, though not such a fan when he reactions with his mouth/tongue. Much Phil, very funny.

So I stumbled across this article this morning and I wanted to share it here. NOT to make a case for Dan and Phil’s relationship as being queer platonic or start discourse on the private dynamics of it, but rather because I think the historical evolution of how we view same-sex friendships and what we have deemed as acceptable/normal is fascinating. Count me as guilty for assuming things about both contemporary and historic relationships when they seem to surpass what we view as platonic (the article is fair in that it doesn’t discount that some of these historic examples may have indeed had a sexual component, but without knowing what happened in anyone’s bed, the terms of endearment, the intensity of attachment and physical affection were not uncommon for the times). I also thought it was really fitting for this thread, as it doesn’t contradict anything either of them have said publicly (which is both clever of them and speaks to the emotional weight of these friendships, while not negating that they have that extra component that they want kept private). Overall just really good food for thought.

https://www.theatlantic.com/family/arch ... ce/616779/
Amiaw
interactive introvert

I didn’t get a change to appreciate the video yesterday but Phil has really found his niche with chaotic cooking/crafting/disaster videos and I love it. I can only hope we get more baking soon because of the holidays
inanerat
eclipse shirt

Mostly I tend not to be a huge fan of long series but I would GO for themed videos/ a series of like 'chaotic gay cooking/crafting with AmazingPhil'

I mean I guess that's what dnp holiday baking, DAPC, Phil's baking and food experiment videos and 'Things my parents didn't let me do as a kid' videos really are. Someone just needs to put them in a playlist and call it a series.

After thinking about this, I have realized that this is in fact my favorite entertainment genre. Ever watched Roly's Queer Cooking series? Those vibes.
snoopysadie
pumpkin spice pumpkin cookie

I loved the video! It had such chaotic energy and those beautiful Phil moments where he does something he knows is not going to work and we know it's not going to work and he still does it (like the pumpkin spice on the haribo).

Also the merch is so cool T_T I want to have the candle and the t-shirt but the world went to shit so I cat't ugh. Queue to companies leaving my country rip.

Has anyone talked about the channel memeber emojis yet? They looked nice and pixely but I was expecting some more embarrassing memes with Phil's face??? Like I wanted them to be like on crack so I guess it makes sense that he wanted them to look nice and have a specific aesthetic :shrug:
I can't post them right now but I don't know if everyone's seen them.
"I still remember... the first day I met you."
"I remember it, too"
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

A Phil candle restock is definitely on the way.
snoopysadie wrote: Sun Oct 25, 2020 8:15 am Has anyone talked about the channel memeber emojis yet? They looked nice and pixely but I was expecting some more embarrassing memes with Phil's face??? Like I wanted them to be like on crack so I guess it makes sense that he wanted them to look nice and have a specific aesthetic :shrug:
I can't post them right now but I don't know if everyone's seen them.
I think the most I've seen of them is a bit of stir on twitter about how Phil should be paying fans for using their artwork like that. Though given that this is a voluntary submission basis I'm on the fence there. It's a strictly voluntary basis and part of what people pay for with memberships is the chance to feel seen and involved with his channel, which this does. But then again I'm always on the side of paying artists so... idk.
madzilla84
eclipse shirt

Here they are :) I think they're really cute! There are lots I like - all the 'pets' are there, Norman, Steve and Straggy OTP, thinking emoji Phil, surprised pikachu phil, yee-with-a-quiff, a few lovely rainbow ones, the vase, the flame eyes one which just cracks me up, dabbing Phil, Janice ... :lol:

They actually do make me want to leave a comment more so I can use them, so I suppose his nefarious scheme is working...
blackbirddan.tumblr.com
Megancita75
ar·tic·u·late

autumnhearth, thanks for posting that article on platonic friendships. I've always loved reading about the devoted and deeply affectionate kinds of friendships men and women had in the 18-19th centuries, and the modern-day examples of that in the article were very interesting to read about. I do think modern Western society pays short shrift to the primacy of friendship in people's lives, in favor of the nuclear family and romantic relationships. As someone who often talks with my single friends about us all living together as we age, I think there is a real option and model there for finding emotional connection and companionship through friendship rather than romantic relationships that is just as valid as a life choice.
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

I transcribed Dan's answers to all the Attitude videos so far - they'll be permanently in the Timestamps section but I thought I'd drop just his answers to the questions posed here, too.

Social Media Addiction

You are spending too much time on social media.
:42 - A clear sign that you spend too much time on the internet is when the voice in your head - like, of the social media conversation - is louder than what’s going on in the real world. I’ve had times where I put my phone down after looking at an argument on twitter and I’m just like, wow, okay. For a whole chunk of time there I was more sucked into the reality happening on my phone than the real world around me. I started to feel physically and my emotions got changed by what I was reading on the internet. Do you know what you do then? Put your own down. Look at a leaf for a moment. One deep breath. Ah. Real world.

What to do if you struggle with social media addiction?
1:32 - If you are addicted to social media, there are things you could do. You can set limits on the time on your phone that you can use certain apps for. You can just tell yourself I’m going to curate my experience and make it so that certain things don’t stress me out. Just take time in your day to do things off the internet that make you feel better. It doesn’t have to be something as big as a religion or meditation. Just buy a potted plant. Just tend to a cactus and it can ground you to reality.

How did you know you were addicted to social media?
3:58 - I think there were definitely days - moreso a few years ago, now I’m just like I’m so bored - where I would just sit looking at things for hours. I just could not be part of the conversation if people were talking about something that was happening, people were arguing about something. I had to read every single comment. I had to keep going to the end. And eventually I just got exhausted, even just from silently reading things that were happening on my laptop and I just had to start telling myself I don’t have to see everything. It’s the fear of missing out on these virtual conversations. And one day I was like - I need some damn respect for myself. I don’t need to be involved in this. And I just went - okay. Close the lid.

5:30 - I feel like a lot of people feel obligated to follow twenty newspapers and a bunch of celebrities that they might not care about. Even some people in their life that they might not want to see what they’re posting, but they feel like they have to. Don’t do that, please. Your social media, the time that you spend on it - radical idea: make it stuff that makes you feel good. If you see something and it doesn’t spark joy, unfollow! Hey. And if it’s your mum and she added you on facebook, you know - mute and she’ll never know about it. Just say you’re busy. She’ll never know. Sorry, mum.

Getting Through the Night
What keeps you up at night?
:51 - I’m the kind of person that like, fixates on one bad thing that happened in the day and thinks about it for about sixteen hours. So I’ll be awake at three am going - I went to shake that person’s hand and then I spilt a drink on them. And... is that something that’s worth literally losing my entire sleep over? No, but. That’s the kind of important stuff that my brain thinks of at three am.

What worries about thoughts have affected you in the past?
1:55 - If I’m awake in the middle of the night usually I’m fixated on one thing and I’m just panicking about it in circles for half an hour. So I usually just go - what’s the worst case scenario? And then I go… oh. Doesn’t really matter that much. Guess I’ll go to bed now.

What can you do when you’re struggling to sleep?
3:41 - The uncomfortable truth I never like to accept is that if you do a bit of exercise during the day, you’re probably gonna sleep a lot better. Whereas if you have a pizza at twelve o’clock then those calories are gonna keep you up at night. Those are the hard truths that I have to confront every single day.

4:09 - Honestly, I think for me, the best piece of advice I ever got about sleeping is to be really cold. I never believed a friend of mine who was like, look, if you’re really hot and sweaty you’re just going to roll around thinking it’s acceptable but if you open that window and you’re freezing to death you can just become this burrito of warmth and then you’ll just create your own little cocoon and fall asleep. So… try to make your room below freezing and then you’lll sleep really well.

5:52 - Sometimes you might feel tempted to get out of bed and go make yourself a slice of toast and - hey, that might work for some people. But honestly, just closing your eyes and lying still can give you rest. And even if you don’t don’t manage to successfully get a night of sleep, if you don’t just get up at three am and watch an entire season of The Simpsons I promise you’ll feel better. Close your eyes, think positive thoughts, and you’ll feel better in six hours.

6:16 - Often at night is when your mental health can feel its lowest because the world kind of falls away and you’re left alone with the thoughts you’ve been pushing to the back of your mind, but the one thing I’d say is you always feel better in the morning. If you’re ever laying awake in the darkness thinking everything is really bad - honestly, sometimes if you get a good nights sleep, you’ll have a totally different outlook in the morning. So it’s the toughest time to get through but if you do, I promise you’ll feel better.

Dealing with Trolls and Bullies
How do you deal with bullies and trolls?
:55 - It’s safe to say that as someone who’s spent their entire life on the internet, I’ve seen some stuff. You just need to remind yourself that you’re valid, you’re fine, you’re doing nothing wrong bothering these people by simply existing, and the best thing to do is just to mute them and let them stream into the void as you go about your day. You feel powerful.

2:26 - I think naturally people get defensive when you imply that anything they’ve done or said might be wrong. So sometimes - it depends on the person - it can be better to message them privately and just go, hey, I don’t know if you mean to say this, but this can be really hurtful because this. And someone might feel less embarrassed or called out publicly. Then again, depending on what someone does, they might just need a smackdown in the middle of a facebook chain with your grandma. So take it upon yourself - I believe in you. Do the right thing.

How do you react to LGBTQ-phobic family members?
2:51 - If you feel comfortable - you don’t have to put up with this. Remind yourself of that. You’re doing nothing wrong. It’s not your responsibility. But if you see that someone can be reached - sometimes just talking to them, empathizing with them, letting them know what the truth really is and talking to them patiently, you can redeem somebody. I have old people in my family that they said something at the dinner table and I’ve gone - that’s a yikes, grandad, but let me explain why. Five minutes later, it’s all cool. So take it upon yourself to redeem your problematic family. I believe in you.

How do you react to members of the LGBTQ community who make prejudiced comments?
4:09 - Here’s something that’ll blow your mind: just because someone’s lgbtq, doesn’t mean they can’t be a piece of shit in a load of other ways.

5:16 - We all have struggles, as lgbtq people. So if someone says something that is in some way harmful just say to them - come on. Like, do one step with your brain. How would you feel if someone said this to you about this thing that you relate to? Talk to them as a human. Get them to understand, and then hopefully they can change the way that they act and become a better person.

7:17 - Even a few years ago on the internet, a lot of people had a lot of fun - even within the lgbtq community - speculating about, you know, celebrity’s relationships and their sexualities. As someone that was in the closet, I found that really hard because I thought that there were these people that kinda had good intentions but then they were really affecting my mental health with the speculation and I’ve seen people in real life that they watched my forty-five minute long coming out video (sorry about that) and they said to me, you know, I didn’t realize at the time what this could do to people and how it can be harmful. You know, I thought I was an ally, I thought I was a good person doing the right thing, so I just want to say sorry that I did that. This wasn’t something that I was expecting. I wasn’t telling myself that I deserve that. But to hear people say that to me really felt like - is the world becoming a better place? Should we be hopeful for the future? It’s a nice story.

Finding Your Tribe
What do you do when you are lonely?
:54 - I feel like if I’m ever in my life feeling isolated on an island where there aren’t enough people around me that kind of share my perspective I go onto the internet. I watch the shows. I listen to queer pop stars. I watch Drag Race. I just see what my friends are up to on instagram, and I go - there are people out there. They exist. There’s a world out there that’s just like me, and that makes me feel better.

How can you find your lgbtq tribe?
2:09 - There is a lot about the internet that’s terrible, but a good thing is that you can find people that are like you. Similar interests - if you have a favorite tv show, if you have a favorite music artist, go on Twitter, go on Facebook, go on Reddit. Join a community of people that share your interests and it’ll just make you feel so much better. Even if you’re digitally socializing with these people, if you have a connection with somebody - even if it’s a message saying, are you okay? That can be just as important as a real life relationship. So definitely go out there onto the internet and forge relationships with people online. Some of my best friends are internet friends.

How has the lgbtq community helped you?
4:46 - When I was on tour in 2018 it was before I’d come out and I’d taken a break from Youtube because I knew that I couldn’t put myself out there anymore. I couldn’t create any more as a person until I addressed my sexuality. So it was a tough summer for me because I was putting myself so much socially, but I felt like I had this big secret. And one of the lifelines for me was Drag Race because obviously no one would shut up about it. I’d never watched a single episode. So on a tour bus I watched every single episode of Drag Race and Untucked from 1 to 10. And even though as silly as it sounds, seeing a bunch of drag queens crying while putting on makeup - it was like a lifeline to me. It made me feel less alone, it made me feel seen, and just seeing these people that were thriving so loud and proud out there - it made me feel better.

6:31 - There’s nothing wrong with asking anyone you know the simple question - are you okay? At any point. Because you never know when they might need it. If you have a friend that seems like they’re more distant than usual, if they’re drawing away, if they don’t want to hang out as much, or if they’re just being quieter on social media… there might not be anything wrong. They might just be busy getting on with their life. But just say - hi, how are you doing? Lets just talk. It’s the awkward question that so many people feel like they don’t wanna ask it. They’re afraid to be asked it. But the moment one person does it, maybe it was the branch they were looking for the whole time. So be that person for your friend and then hopefully they’ll be there for you, too.
inanerat
eclipse shirt

Hadn't seen anyone post this yet, Phil was in some short clips of a Thomas Sanders video:

Phil clips:
'rollercoasters' 4:33
'NO' 4:48
talking abt greenscreen 15:15
'hippo' 15:34
'banana' 15:42