Dan & Phil Part 4: The Cheekiest Link

Our two favourite full time internet nerds who never go outside!
SquishPhan
capita£ester
Pronouns: she/her

bluebox-away wrote:
SquishPhan wrote:
bluebox-away wrote:Think Dan's lonely without Phil?
I think so yes. We know he doesn't like being at home alone. So for his sake I hope he is flying out to the states soon.
They need to get a dog themselves really so he wouldn't be alone.. I just realized as he's still home we'll probably get a liveshow today :)
I'm guessing he's flying out this week so he's there around a week before Playlist and the first show?
While it would be really cute for them to have a dog, I don't think they are ready for one yet. Plus with all their touring, I don't see how it will work out. Now after the tour I am all for them buying their own place and getting a dog.
The live show should be good tonight, so hopefully he will do one and not flake out on us. Maybe he will roughly tells us when he is flying out.
jaej
moon room
Pronouns: he/they/idm

Diyes_Celine wrote:But more than those who comment "meh", it hurts to see most people who just totally dismiss Phil's video. :wahh: :wahh: Ugh. This is really a Dan-centric fandom. Oh well. As they always say, to each his own.
'broing'/'meh' really is phil's harshest criticism, though. barely anyone dislikes his content, it's just that it's very safe when he's shown that he can do better. his content doesnt need to be creative or exciting, but if its quite plain as well as having a strong persona like he does at times (not at all times/in all videos, but it happens) then you don't even get the realistic, nice vlog feeling since you're not really connecting to him personally. it's uncommon to see an opinion on phil that's harsher than 'this wasnt his best, it was kind of boring'
i've said before, but i think phil gets judged more on his best 20 seconds (family stories, animal joke, vague display of crotch) while dan gets judged on his worst 20 seconds (screeching, trying too hard) on an overall review

+ thank you oqua omg
my name is jaejmine masters and i have something to say. dan and phil have fucked up japan :japhan:
phil lester threw the first brick at stonewall, we love a queer icon :biflag:
majitzu
angel bean

To Diyes_Celine ...

I love Phil, I enjoy the tipsy talk in Hazel's channel, the sleepless night video, the Caspar collabs, the face swap, his reaction to his baby videos. I lvoe Phil.

But I didn't enjoy last video that much. Opinion opinion, that doesn't mean this is a Dan centric forum... but is difficult to psycoanalize Phil and that's why there is always more disccussion around Dan.

I have 10 hours in university now, wish me luck and I will see you later... kill me :wahh:
jhamba
procrastinator

Diyes_Celine wrote:Waaah... I can't stand reading 10 pages of people saying Phil's video is boring. I don't know what people expect from D&P since I just started watching their videos this year. I don't expect "ground breaking" videos from Phil especially if he's still in his AP persona but if I need a video when I am too stressed out with world I will watch his videos including this one. I am not a fan of Hazel's voice and I also wish to see fetus!Phil but you know... Waaaaaaah I can explain my disappointment. I can say I am good with world geography but US is really confusing, you know. I even work as support for NA. Well maybe because I am new so I'm still not bored (except for DAPG. They should seriously play more exciting games. It's such a waste.) But more than those who comment "meh", it hurts to see most people who just totally dismiss Phil's video. :wahh: :wahh: Ugh. This is really a Dan-centric fandom. Oh well. As they always say, to each his own.
Sorry for all the typo or grammar error. I didn't bother to proof read.
So, I don't think criticizing Phil's video is an indicator of this being a dan centric fandom. I mean, I'm not denying that this is a dan centric fandom, but in this particular instance, we are criticizing his videos because we want more from him. We do criticize Dan in the same way, sometimes even more harshly. It's silly to expect us to love every video they put out, because we don't, and their content really is lacking right now. Criticizing someone does not mean disliking them, and it most certainly does not indicate indifference
jaej wrote:
Diyes_Celine wrote:But more than those who comment "meh", it hurts to see most people who just totally dismiss Phil's video. :wahh: :wahh: Ugh. This is really a Dan-centric fandom. Oh well. As they always say, to each his own.
'broing'/'meh' really is phil's harshest criticism, though. barely anyone dislikes his content, it's just that it's very safe when he's shown that he can do better. his content doesnt need to be creative or exciting, but if its quite plain as well as having a strong persona like he does at times (not at all times/in all videos, but it happens) then you don't even get the realistic, nice vlog feeling since you're not really connecting to him personally. it's uncommon to see an opinion on phil that's harsher than 'this wasnt his best, it was kind of boring'
i've said before, but i think phil gets judged more on his best 20 seconds (family stories, animal joke, vague display of crotch) while dan gets judged on his worst 20 seconds (screeching, trying too hard) on an overall review

+ thank you oqua omg
yeah, exactly
Just trying to spread the Dangirl agenda
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

jhamba wrote:
Diyes_Celine wrote:Waaah... I can't stand reading 10 pages of people saying Phil's video is boring. I don't know what people expect from D&P since I just started watching their videos this year. I don't expect "ground breaking" videos from Phil especially if he's still in his AP persona but if I need a video when I am too stressed out with world I will watch his videos including this one. I am not a fan of Hazel's voice and I also wish to see fetus!Phil but you know... Waaaaaaah I can explain my disappointment. I can say I am good with world geography but US is really confusing, you know. I even work as support for NA. Well maybe because I am new so I'm still not bored (except for DAPG. They should seriously play more exciting games. It's such a waste.) But more than those who comment "meh", it hurts to see most people who just totally dismiss Phil's video. :wahh: :wahh: Ugh. This is really a Dan-centric fandom. Oh well. As they always say, to each his own.
Sorry for all the typo or grammar error. I didn't bother to proof read.
So, I don't think criticizing Phil's video is an indicator of this being a dan centric fandom. I mean, I'm not denying that this is a dan centric fandom, but in this particular instance, we are criticizing his videos because we want more from him. We do criticize Dan in the same way, sometimes even more harshly. It's silly to expect us to love every video they put out, because we don't, and their content really is lacking right now. Criticizing someone does not mean disliking them, and it most certainly does not indicate indifference
Dan gets way more attention, both good and bad. Phil just gets a brief reaction then immediately forgotten. I would actually consider it less of a Dan-centric forum/fandom if people gave Phil's videos the same amount of scrutiny and psycho-analysis that Dan's gets, even if they didn't like the video. Imo, the way Phil's videos only get a 'meh, boring' is reflective of people just not being that invested in Phil whereas they're very invested in Dan. So it reads as apathy toward Phil more than anything else.

(And to clarify, I don't hold anyone's preferences against them. No one has a responsibility to be more invested in someone they just don't feel that strongly about just for the sake of balanced conversation.)
Diyes_Celine
truth bomb

akui wrote:Btw can we quickly talk about how Phil's persona driven channel branding is seriously hurting the quality of his work? I couldn't help but notice that his last two videos are not quite as good as the videos on Caspar and Hazel's channel. As he is insisting on staying on persona, it's also a restriction on his creativity. Almost feel like he is censoring himself.
I have to agree. I want a separate adult Phil channel where he can flirt with other youtubers and his audience (not literally of course).

but I guess Dan will be the first to disagree with this idea.haha
akui
blobfish
Pronouns: She/Her

Firistly, oqua

Secondly, Diyes_Celine I do think the forum is a little Dan centric, yes, in terms of what we discussed, i admit we do need to talk about Phil more. But like everybody said, we criticize Phil for being meh and boring is because we have higher expectations for him, we know that he can deliver better things than what he does now. Not so long ago people criticize Dan for being lazy and uninventive before he did the anime spon vid (even when we know he was gonna do a spon we were all giving him side eyes.) I'd rather see criticism than blind praise. So when Phil really does better with his content, I'm sure these criticism will go away.

Thirdly, i forgot what i want to say again... Yeah I don't know how I feel about lonely!Dan, not so long ago when Dan was in srilanka, we were literally pulling each other's hair on GG because "why you guys always say things make Phil look like can't survive without Dan" vs "no poeple say that about dan too ffs", and the codependent discussion we had last week on IDB. I get that they are a big part of each other's life but, without each other they should be just fine. I don't want to think Dan wanting to stroke a dog or giving the cafe shop cashier a mint mean that he is absolutely a mess without Phil. But somehow I think so.

I need a drink.
pearshaped34
morning quiff

Re Drinking. I've always assumed Phil drinks but is not a big drinker but I think I may have just got that assumption from Dan saying he kept getting Phil to buy him drinks and switching when he was underage in Florida meaning Phil must have drank the soft drink to give Dan the alcohol but maybe they were taking turns. His definitely been seen drinking in vlogs where they've been in restaurants though.

Re Twitter, I don't see either of them giving up control to management plus neither of their twitters are exactly ran like well oiled machined. Dan misspells most of his promo tweets (or has "typos") and Phil announced extra tickets for the NY shows in a @ reply to Dan meaning it doesn't come up on his Twitter unless you click to look at replies as well. And while they do reply to fans they hardly spend hours a day doing say nor do their replies seem like the type of stuff management would say. If managements on their Twitter what are they doing to benefit Dan and Phil that would justify them giving up the control?
majitzu
angel bean

Photo or didn't happen
phamnotof
morning quiff

this is random, but I've just realized that Hazel looks SO much like SMG, I'm surprised Phil wasn't far more nervous/didn't say something about it.
(and also that Dan managed not to chew her head of right as she walked in :D)
kay
phabergé

Wait, why is it that their neighbor can have a dog but they can't? I feel like this has been addressed already (it must have, when the dog snuck in the lounge right?) Is it just that they're not "ready" for one?
DryCereal
koi pond

achika wrote:Wait, why is it that their neighbor can have a dog but they can't? I feel like this has been addressed already (it must have, when the dog snuck in the lounge right?) Is it just that they're not "ready" for one?
Different landlord, or they own their part of the building.
Last edited by DryCereal on Tue Apr 12, 2016 3:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
IckleMissMayhem's evil fic writing alter ego. :twisted:
daphenaxa
blobfish

omg oqua doing the lords' work. Now I will spend two hours stalking all those links...

I know it was quite a long time ago but on the "stinky hoe" thing, it didn't shock me at all during the video but after people have pointed it out and that I have thought about it more, it does upset me a bit he would use that kind of language tbh.

For the Phil is boring comment, I don't deny i am a huge dan girl a lot more invested in Dan, but I don't find Phil boring or consistently boring.
I do find his live shows in general a bit on the boring side and empty compared to Dan but the last few he has done were actually great imo. As for his videos I don't find them boring either in general.
Concerning the last two, the tipsy talk wasn't boring but it was so controlled and self censured that it annoyed me greatly, even more than usual because the purpose of tipsy talk is to actually let go and be less guarded.
But for the geography video I stand by what I said I thought it was terrible. The title was very bad but I thought it actually could be ironic like a wink to all the terrible videos, "British people talk about American school" "British people try American school lunch" or wtv but the content of the video wasn't ironic or tongue in cheek at all, so the title was just normal click bait.
The chemistry that we saw in tipsy talk wasn't used at all since Phil didn't interact with Hazel at all or "incorporate" her in the video (not sure it is the right word). It literally could have been anyone he did the quiz with because he bland-washed her so much (and I really dislike Hazel but i don't think she is bland). The concept was mediocre, no effort went into it (printing a map of the USA is not effort), the video felt rushed and forced, the editing was sub-par. Nothing about it was good imo.
Also it is more of a personal pet peeve i guess but it annoys me when people show their uneducation on one subject and make it look like it's hilarious. I am not American and I don't know where all the states are either. I don't care that Phil is bad at American geography and it doesn't make me like him more or less but it just annoys me when people act like "ho look I know nothing about this subject LOLzor how funny!!!"

for the dog, their neighbours actually own their flat. they are not renting
If you’re attracted to somebody, you’ll want them to sniff you eventually - Dan
*Phil is turned on by Dan's brilliance* *they kiss* *they have sex in the microwave* - Oqua (actually Phil)
SquishPhan
capita£ester

achika wrote:Wait, why is it that their neighbor can have a dog but they can't? I feel like this has been addressed already (it must have, when the dog snuck in the lounge right?) Is it just that they're not "ready" for one?
The neighbor bought their apartment, so no landlord telling them they are not allowed to.
jaej
moon room
Pronouns: he/they/idm

where i live, if you already have a dog and seems to be a good tenant (ie, older/family/reliable income) then my landlord usually lets you move in and keep it, but getting a dog while you live there isn't allowed. my neighbours family moved in with a dog 20+ years ago, and since it was always fine they adopted another a couple of years ago.
but it could just be that the dog rule isnt very strictly enforced, but theyve already pushed enough boundaries to not want to risk doing it again. it seems like the damage to their flat is only mild, but i doubt theyd want to risk it, especially since they also arent really ready for a dog this year when they're so busy

edit: scrap that, people above have already got a better reason. nvm
my name is jaejmine masters and i have something to say. dan and phil have fucked up japan :japhan:
phil lester threw the first brick at stonewall, we love a queer icon :biflag:
Diyes_Celine
truth bomb

majitzu wrote:To Diyes_Celine ...

I love Phil, I enjoy the tipsy talk in Hazel's channel, the sleepless night video, the Caspar collabs, the face swap, his reaction to his baby videos. I lvoe Phil.

But I didn't enjoy last video that much. Opinion opinion, that doesn't mean this is a Dan centric forum... but is difficult to psycoanalize Phil and that's why there is always more disccussion around Dan.

I have 10 hours in university now, wish me luck and I will see you later... kill me :wahh:
It's not the forum but more of the fandom in general. I know we can never discuss Phil as much as Dan because we have limited information to work with. I prefer checking IDB because it's funnier and more "adult" here. I avoid tumblr because definitely Dan's territory.

I know I got carried away with my rant but when you just wake up and you see all these negativity it makes me sad.
lilMango
morning quiff

Thanks, Oqua, I'm not sure if you took a look at any of my links (or if anybody did for that matter) but I'm glad you took the time to actually organize them!

I don't have much to add to the whole dancentric conversation, but I love Phil and I feel the same way when I see negative things that are said about his videos... but I think it's important to see the content objectively, which is what a lot of us should do with both Dan and Phil's videos. I think we're pretty balanced, but that's just me.
Phil Lester wrote:"I'll rub myself in a mango before I eat a mango."
"Make no judgements where you have no compassion." -Anne McCaffrey
SquishPhan
capita£ester

There is definitely more focus on Dan on here, not going to lie. I like Phil more than Dan, but do realize that he usually gives us more things to go on.
But sometimes people don’t even really listen to what Phil has to say or just dismiss it more easily than they would have done had Dan said it. If Dan had said some of the same things that Phil did in his tipsy talk video, we would have had three pages full of analyzes already. But since it’s Phil, we didn’t really get anything.
The best thing to do, is that if you want more discussion about Phil to start a topic you want to discuss yourself, then others might join in. I need to heed that advice myself at times as well.
DryCereal
koi pond

And this is what he chooses to reblog. :facepalm: He be trollin'...!
You know when I made the analogy about persona brick walls and sitting on top and laughing? He's at it again.
http://amazingphil.tumblr.com/post/142684511840
akui
blobfish

Diyes_Celine wrote:
akui wrote:Btw can we quickly talk about how Phil's persona driven channel branding is seriously hurting the quality of his work? I couldn't help but notice that his last two videos are not quite as good as the videos on Caspar and Hazel's channel. As he is insisting on staying on persona, it's also a restriction on his creativity. Almost feel like he is censoring himself.
I have to agree. I want a separate adult Phil channel where he can flirt with other youtubers and his audience (not literally of course).

but I guess Dan will be the first to disagree with this idea.haha
I'm not sure if Phil still want to be a director or not. If he still does, maybe he can have a channel where he just make short films without revealing his true identity. Which will spark a full 8 thread long discussion and countless new conspiracy theories I'm sure. Go do it Phil i believe in you!
SquishPhan
capita£ester

IckleMissMayhem wrote:And this is what he chooses to reblog. :facepalm: He be trollin'...!
You know when I made the analogy about persona brick walls and sitting on top and laughing? He's at it again.
I like trolling Phil. And I liked this part of the video, it was funny.
akui
blobfish

IckleMissMayhem wrote:And this is what he chooses to reblog. :facepalm: He be trollin'...!
It doesn't look like a penis to me really… nobody have balls looks like that.
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

I'm probably guilty of not sharing as many analytical thoughts on anything, just because I tend to brain dump that kind of stuff on people in private conversation or not have time to gather my thoughts until the topic has moved on. (And when the topic is a Phil video, it's moved on from quickly.)

But, for anyone who wants my thoughts on Phil's Tipsy Talk video - here we go. Some of it has definitely already been mentioned in here.
I was surprised that Phil would even agree to do Tipsy Talk because I don't see him being overly comfortable with any situation on-camera that involves him potentially having lowered inhibitions and tbh as a result the video itself was boring, definitely far from one of Hazel's best Tipsy Talks, but the chance to observe Phil so blatantly being controlling was worth it. He had her come into his territory, his safe space. He made the drink, so he ensured he wouldn't be getting more alcohol than he actually wanted in it. He had props there to distract from any topic that might take him somewhere he didn't want to go in the conversation. He even basically started out interviewing her, and I'm not sure she even really noticed.

Hazel's genuine fondness for him also makes the video more endearing to me, even when the conversation is boring. I think she means it when she says that she loves how his brain works, that he is the best person, etc. Short of his video with his mother, Dan, or his really old videos with other friends, it's the closest I can recall to seeing Phil interact on camera with someone who came to know him outside of a mutually-beneficial-for-views situation.

Phil talking about his parents and their parenting tactics... I think his mother is probably just as weird as he is. I wish we saw more of Martyn, I'd like to know if Phil got more of the strange humor genes.

I do think he had a go at editing it either before she did, or he had her send it to him to proof before she did final edits. The jump cuts were not as natural as Hazel's normally might have been, but obvious in that way Dan and Phil have sometimes when they sacrifice smooth editing for keeping something off camera.

Why I love the death part: Because a) she didn't even have to ask, he clearly watched some backlog of her Tipsy Talk so as soon as she referenced a recurring theme he knew exactly what it was, and b) He had an answer already prepared, and c) that moment of genuine discomfort/possibly exasperation when she pressed the issue further and he admitted death made him uncomfortable. It made me think of how he acted during the confession roulette video at certain points.

- 4:23 ("It's so hot." "Thanks.")
- 5:30 ("Of course you would. You'd cash in, wouldn't you?")
- 6:29 (Stumbles over "I love being alive." then obvious jump cut, then the joke about watching Buffy with friends before redirecting back to robot talk.)
- 7:15 ("You can plug stuff. Not that you need to." Reminiscent of her earlier remark about cashing in, Hazel's recognition of their status but lack of intimidation by it makes me like her. She shades the phandom, without seeming like she's shading Dan or Phil for achieving that status.)
- 7:30 (Talking about how he adjusts quickly, maybe supporting evidence for the idea that he adapted to Dan being the only person he's around - that Phil isn't the natural introvert homebody Dan is, Phil just adapted to what made Dan comfortable.)
7:35 ("I will have Dan." most obvious jump cut ever.)
phamnotof
morning quiff

I'm so surprised that so many of you are saying that your phandom experiences feel a bit more Dan-centric! Like before I joined (which was only a bit over 3 months ago, granted, so I don't have much experience to base this on), that's what I'd assumed would happen, but really, it's felt really balanced to me. Which might be a lot due to who's on my Tumblr dash - hella lot of Phan stans who talk about them mostly as a unit, and then both Dan and Phil stans. The Dan stans, if anything, are those who more often than not complain that they can't say things about Dan without Tumblr making it about the both of them.
Weird, how large the fandom is & how different our experiences are within it.
DryCereal
koi pond

akui wrote:
It doesn't look like a penis to me really… nobody have balls looks like that.
I was tempted to comment with "If yours looks like that, you should go get it checked..." but, well...