Dan & Phil Part 98: forever home!!1!!!

Our two favourite full time internet nerds who never go outside!
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie
Pronouns: she/her

Dan liked Phil's pringle can tweet and I don't know why but that just makes it so much more uncomfortable lmao.
inanerat
eclipse shirt
Pronouns: he/she/they

alittledizzy wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 2:38 pm Dan liked Phil's pringle can tweet and I don't know why but that just makes it so much more uncomfortable lmao.
I fully consider that tweet to be his fault since he was making all the pov jokes in the liveshow. It's dangerous to introduce Phil to a new meme.
:transheart: :transheart: :transheart:
Catallena
classy cat lady
classy cat lady

Oh no :(

RIP pretty little blue fish :betta: :betta: :betta:
Twitter *•.(★).•* Tumblr
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

I'm sad for them because losing a pet is hard - even if it's something like a fish where the emotional attachment isn't really mutual, it's still real on your side, you know? They gave that fish such amazing care and attention and enrichment. I do hope they're proud of what they did for him and the happy little fishie life they gave him.
glitterintheair
phillluminati

Oh man, I am so sad over this because dnp loved that fish so much and losing a pet especially during this period.. god, it really must suck. But they did a good job with him, we all saw what a glow up he did under their care and they must be proud of that because they gave Norman a happy life. I mean, they reaaaally did their best:
I'm a winter flower underground, always thirsty for summer rain.
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

I'm guessing it probably was old age. Betta fish only live 2-3 years and they had him a year and a half, and like Phil said, didn't know how old he was when they got him.
Catallena
classy cat lady
classy cat lady

Looking at that old footage of Normz really makes one realize how well Dan and Phil took care of that fish. He really didn't look too good in the beginning and had obviously been in an environment where he wasn't happy, but only a few months later he got so beautiful and shiny. Finally thriving in an environment that loved and cared for him. It's so sad and losing a pet is always hard (especially in these times), but DnP can be proud of themselves for being the best fish dads. :betta:
Twitter *•.(★).•* Tumblr
Megancita75
ar·tic·u·late

I'm sure having Norman, as well as Steve and Scraggy, during quarantine has been a nice low-stress type of companionship and an outlet for some nurturing. RIP Norman. :betta: :betta: :betta:

Also, it's been nice lately to have them interacting with each other's tweets.
snoopysadie
pumpkin spice pumpkin cookie

alittledizzy wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 2:38 pm Dan liked Phil's pringle can tweet and I don't know why but that just makes it so much more uncomfortable lmao.
um thanks i laughed at this for two minutes straight it broke my brain a bit.

and about Norman... I just really hope they get their time to grieve before ppl tweet at them like: "now you can get a dog!" because... no. yikes.
:betta: :betta: <3 I hope they can distract themselves as much as they can :c
"I still remember... the first day I met you."
"I remember it, too"
Levitating
#relatable

Omg! That's so sad! Especially for Dan! Phil has always gone through bereavement with his university friend, so he may be more prepared as to how to handle it, but Dan! He did not want a dog because of the emotional attachment and now! :( He had nightmares about Norman when he first came into their life.

Hope he does not feel guilty and that all the testing helped get ready for the moment
Amiaw
interactive introvert

I don’t usually get attached to other people’s pets but we saw them making the tank and then we got weekly updates of Norman for months on Phil’s liveshows so I was a little attached to the little blue fish. I hope they get a nice little care package from Kath to help them feel better
laurenbacall
delia smith

i might be crazy but i feel like this is old news that they're just sharing now. i'm 80% sure dan/phil referred to norman/owning fish in the past tense in one of the liveshows they've done recently. i'd have to rewatch them all to double check, but i'm sure one of them referred to "when we used to have fish"
Levitating
#relatable

I have seen this comment on Twitter and I can see it, although the whole speech uses past tense to refer to the moment they bought the fish.
The only moment there a potential past tense as in "fish no longer with us" is when Dan says "And this was a fish- people don't care about these fish like I'm- I'm gonna put it in a shoe", which also implies that maybe he intended to say "put it in a shoebox" as a little funeral ritual?! AHAH. I don't understand. After this he says "I love this fish", although this may be a sort of re-enactment of what he went through when Norman died...!

Phi does that the conversation about the dog saying that they are "trying with the houseplants", referring to taking care of a living, dependent thing.

All of this makes me thing, why lie now and make it seem like it happened recently?
Levitating
#relatable

I wanted to edit my previous post but couldn't:

upon further thinking, I realise that maybe the reason for the delay comes from their necessity to deal with the death and relative emotions on their own terms/times and without people immediately entering that private space of pain. Maybe, the announcement comes now because it is only now that they are able to deal with all the social media reaction (like asking for dog without giving them time to grief or who knows what else)
tinnie
delia smith

I came here from twitter, poor Norman and mostly poor Dan and Phil. The fish had a good life with them.

I don't quite understand why they'd be lying and it's not a conspiracy I'm jumping on. The only reason I could see for that would be if it happened around Christmas for example and they decided not to share the sad news during the holidays. But who knows :shrug:
Megancita75
ar·tic·u·late

It wouldn't surprise me if this was delayed. One, because it might not be something to post until you personally were in the frame of mind to do it, and two, because they are probably pretty aware of the importance of timing certain tweets and how they might land in light of other events going on in the UK or the world. Also, the tweet to me doesn't imply that it was or wasn't a recent event; it's just an announcement that it happened at some point. That's far from lying -- I'm actually surprised people are even bothered by the idea that it could be a delayed tweet. Heck, I've known people to announce online the death of a pet months after it happened just because they weren't ready to mention it.
autumnhearth
senpai

I think the “put it in a shoe” just refers to people’s flippant attitude towards owning fish (mostly out of ignorance), especially betta fish. During university I would come walk into the communal bathroom and find someone down the hall changing out the water in their tiny container at the sinks (a plastic rectangle with the footprint the size of a pencil case, just a bit taller). And I am guilty of keeping three bettas in three separate fancy vases my final year of university, when I had a single apartment with lots of plants. So yeah, Dan and Phil really cared and did the responsible research. They went above and beyond and gave Norman a healthier, happier life :dead: :betta:
shan
morning quiff

Sad news about Norman but he had just about the best life a fish could possibly have with them.

I wouldn't be surprised if the news was delayed, the tank wasn't anywhere to be seen in the clothes video (not to say that it couldn't have been somewhere else in the apartment). Given the climate in the world atm and with the festive season, it would make sense. Plus, we definitely aren't owed an announcement the second it happened. It also wouldn't be lying if it did happen a while ago, they didn't claim in either tweet that it was recent. Seems a strange thing for people to try and create drama from.
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

I think it was delayed, but I think it's very fair of them to want to take time for their own grief first. I mean, just to echo Dan's point, yeah it's 'just' a fish but it was also the first pet they ever fully put their heart into owning and character for and they clearly got a lot of pleasure out of having him in their life and caring for him. Sometimes it doesn't really matter if the animal doesn't have the capacity to return your affection, all that really matters is the emotional attachment on your side.

People are also really weird about making weird memes about Norman and like, that's just weird. It's weird and probably not a great feeling to see people laughing about your recently dead pet or just, idk, humblebragging about not caring about him. (Which I also saw a few times on twitter.)

I am assuming they're keeping the tank up for the snails since Phil has talked about them in much more present tense. In fact, his desire for the snails to know and love him might make more sense if Norman isn't there anymore.
kavat
pastel persona

I was also thinking that it's probably delayed since we haven't seen the tank in quite a while. They could be keeping it with the snails somewhere to bring to the new house and get a new fish once they move. They obviously love having a pet of sorts and if a fish is the level of commitment they are comfortable with right now then that's great.
:betta2: :betta: :betta2: :betta:
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

Tiny mod note: If anyone gets an error message when trying to sign in, let me know? We had this issue a few weeks ago and our host cleared it up. I just encountered it again but I don't know if it was a one off for me and it would be helpful to know if it's happening to other people. Thanks!
oblongdisposition
dank meme
Pronouns: She/her

I noticed that bryony has privated her video with dnp :( Does anyone know if it has been reuploaded anywhere?
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

Okay so I follow a youtuber that started out 2020 with a small amount of subs and her channel kind of exploded right around the start of the pandemic last year. She had 6.6k subscribers last January, and has 171k now. She has at least one video that hit over a million views and multiple ones that have 200-300k views. I sincerely doubt she's in any kind of preferred ad revenue program like Dan and Phil are, so the figures she lists/gets are probably WAY lower than what Phil would be making from current videos or Dan would make just from older views so I found this truly fascinating from the perspective of being the minimum of what deppy would still make now. Here's the whole video:

And for anyone that doesn't want to watch, a breakdown of some of the stats (which are ONLY youtube ad revenue, they don't include anything made for sponsorships done within these videos):

A video that got 1.6m views paid her $4871. Important note that her channel popped off during Feb/March 2020 when everything was going on lockdown and she says that ad revenues were low. That one specific video had an average CPM of $6.23 and an RPM of $3.0. CPM is what ad companies pay per thousand views, RPM is what she is paid.

For her channel overall for the year, her average RPM was $5.10 and her CPM was $10.08.

In one livestream where people were dropping superchats at her more than normal, $2500 was donated and her share was $1400.

For a video with 137k views, she made $508.
For a video with 229k views, she made $1029.
For a video with 339k views, she made $2501.
For a video with 479k views, she made $1544.
For a video with 274k views, she made $1666.
For a video with 144k views, she made $986.

Her ad revenue for the entire year was $65,634 for 13 million views and two million hours of watch time.

To compare, Phil's had 4.6m views in the last thirty days alone which probably puts him at somewhere near 40-50m views for the year (accounting for last month being higher than normal thanks to the Dan video) and he'd certainly be getting a higher RPM for that plus his sponsorships.

DAPG has gotten 2.2m views in the past month alone. Dan, without having posted a single video in a year and a half, has still gotten 680k views in the past month. If someone wants to sharpen those figures to try and puzzle out what they probable get in a year, please do.

Anyway - I fucking love when creators are transparent like that. (Also, I just love her channel in general, if you like witty dry humor and creators who don't fit into a single niche, definitely sub to her.)
oblongdisposition wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 11:56 pm I noticed that bryony has privated her video with dnp :( Does anyone know if it has been reuploaded anywhere?
I'm definitely gonna work on hunting this down.
kavat
pastel persona

Oooh those kind of numbers are really interesting. We know they're doing fine but it's fun to try to figure out just how fine.

It reminds me that Jon Cozart mentioned on a podcast that as long as he pulls 100k views a day he can live comfortably. The man posts incredibly irregular so that was pretty interesting, and gave a little more context to how this all works.
Levitating
#relatable

With those numbers and views, knowing how expensive London is, I would say they are in a middle class range - earning as a senior manager in a company.
Not an luxury life - but pretty comfortable.