Dan & Phil Part 98: forever home!!1!!!

Our two favourite full time internet nerds who never go outside!
TinkerTaylor
phillion/danosaur <//3

Have any of the Phil video winners posted their videos? I haven’t seen a single one. I know IRL Merch posted last month that winners were being notified and that was the last I heard of it.
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie
Pronouns: she/her

TinkerTaylor wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 3:07 pm Have any of the Phil video winners posted their videos? I haven’t seen a single one. I know IRL Merch posted last month that winners were being notified and that was the last I heard of it.
I haven't seen any either... that's so weird.

I also hope he posts today. I don't think he will. But I still hope.
oblongdisposition
dank meme
Pronouns: She/her

This is the only one I’ve seen
dontpanic
#relatable

Both Dan and Phil liked this post... like, they're so in sync they saw it separately and both found it funny enough to like it, or more likely one of them showed/texted/dmed it to the other
Amiaw
interactive introvert

Saw on Tumblr that Cornelia signed with the same agency as dnp. I don’t know what her plans are but the blurb they included with her profile makes it sound like she’ll be producing more Instagram type content similar based on her lifestyle/family
Templeofshame
rainbow nerd

Amiaw wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 3:04 pm Saw on Tumblr that Cornelia signed with the same agency as dnp. I don’t know what her plans are but the blurb they included with her profile makes it sound like she’ll be producing more Instagram type content similar based on her lifestyle/family
This is really interesting to me in terms of like, focusing more on monetizing the social media and lifestyle aspect than on the music. Maybe we'll get new Cornelia merch, but she wouldn't need ATF for that, so maybe she's going for #spons? I'm curious where it goes. It kinda lines up with Martyn being on Stereo if they're interested in their family being more in the internet spotlight. (She lists her YouTube subscribers, which may not mean anything, but could be cool if she starts actually making stuff for YouTube.)
Megancita75
ar·tic·u·late

Wow, that would be super interesting if she started being more of a content creator. I like what she's presented online so far, but being in such close proximity to DnP all these years she's got to have a very clear idea of the good, bad, and ugly of online life and I certainly hope she's thought through things like boundaries, etc. I love her a lot, though, and am always happy to see more of her.
Megancita75
ar·tic·u·late

glitterintheair
phillluminati

Yeaaah I don’t know how to feel about the Shane Dawson therapist being there giving - what I can only assume - bad advice about mental health. Surprised that Dan follows her on twitter, too.
I'm a winter flower underground, always thirsty for summer rain.
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

glitterintheair wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 7:58 pm Yeaaah I don’t know how to feel about the Shane Dawson therapist being there giving - what I can only assume - bad advice about mental health. Surprised that Dan follows her on twitter, too.
She actually had a really good reputation on youtube before the Shane thing - Dan followed her/I think promoted her in the video description after Daniel and Depression came out. I remember other youtubers talking really highly of her too.

The Shane thing was just... a super big disappointment. Definitely changed my opinion of her. I wonder if he had any say in who he did this with? Guessing not.
Amiaw
interactive introvert

Not giving my thoughts on that panel but I am so curious why Dan decided to give over so much control of his career to YouTube.

It’s not the greatest look to leave for a year and then come back to basically be at their beck and call and be their go-to for panels and projects. Now it makes me question things like why he didn’t like or reblog anything about YouTube and captions earlier this year and why he follows both CEO’s and they follow him and I’m not loving it.

And I do want to say I’m not calling him a horrible person or anything but I’m questioning his career choices and his loyalty to that company that treats creators so poorly
Megancita75
ar·tic·u·late

I'm not familiar with the Shane Dawson stuff at all, but I have seen videos from her in the past and she seemed in general to know what she was talking about and to be qualified, so I don't have any negative associations with her.

Also, why would him participating in this mean he was at YT's "beck and call"? This seems in line with the general mental health focus he's been pursuing.
Amiaw
interactive introvert

He did the panel earlier this year for the United Nations and the summer YouTube steam. he was chosen for YouTube’s project as a treasured creator (who hadn’t posted in a year and a half). He also has a YouTube show lined up and he is on this expert mental health panel for YouTube.he was followed by both Susan and Ben Wilson, the managing director of UK YouTube and they don’t follow a lot of creators l, and he hasn’t really ever directly said anything about how YouTube’s decisions affect creators or viewers. Now it could be he’s just taking advantage of opportunities but for someone who hasn’t done much in the public eye in 2 years this is a lot.
Templeofshame
rainbow nerd

His relationship to YouTube does seem super weird, just in terms of how much YouTube-adjacent stuff he does while avoiding any activity on his channel(s). I know for a while it really seemed like he didn't want to be thought of as a YouTuber, but it seems like that's not it currently when they're putting him on billboards and panels and there's the tease of upcoming YouTube work.

I'm not up on all the issues surrounding Kati Morton and I hadn't heard of the other guys before, but it's interesting to me that it looks like in addition to Dan, Michael Acton Smith doesn't have any educational background related to mental health. I guess it might make sense for the WEF to be featuring entrepreneurs who are interested in the field as much as folks with actual therapy and/or health policy degrees and experience (Kati Morton and Garth Graham).
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

Amiaw wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 8:14 pm He did the panel earlier this year for the United Nations and the summer YouTube steam. he was chosen for YouTube’s project as a treasured creator (who hadn’t posted in a year and a half). He also has a YouTube show lined up and he is on this expert mental health panel for YouTube.he was followed by both Susan and Ben Wilson, the managing director of UK YouTube and they don’t follow a lot of creators l, and he hasn’t really ever directly said anything about how YouTube’s decisions affect creators or viewers. Now it could be he’s just taking advantage of opportunities but for someone who hasn’t done much in the public eye in 2 years this is a lot.
Part of that inactivity in terms of youtube content was involuntary, though. We know his youtube show was supposed to already be out, that's been for sure confirmed. We don't know exactly when it was supposed to be out, but some time in 2020 seems like a lock. I don't think youtube would penalize him for something that they know was beyond his control. (And yes, he could have posted other videos, but he didn't - my point is that if the youtube show had been done at the original schedule it would already be out and his channel wouldn't be inactive.)
alien
procrastinator

yeah definitely not interested in anything kati morton is involved with. and now i have a fear she's somehow involved with whatever youtube show dan has in the works. but until i know more im still holding onto some excitement for it.
autumnhearth
senpai

It seems like Dan gets to have the best of both worlds with YouTube: not to feel pressure to have to play the game with the algorithm, thus being able to focus on personal growth and professional projects, but still be a favorite of the powers that be. He did say he didn’t want to be a full time YouTuber anymore, but he knows what the platform has to offer him (and they know what he can offer them in return) so he hasn’t burnt any bridges. Savvy.
lefthandedism
simply stressed bisexual
simply stressed bisexual

TomSka has a nice anecdote about the phandom in a (rather interesting) video about being a creator at cons that he's posted on his side channel (at 37:32):
"If you're left-handed, ask a friend."
"Why am I left-handed?"
"Everybody makes mistakes."
inanerat
eclipse shirt
Pronouns: he/she/they

Quite random and unrelated to the current conversation but Pentatonix released a single today called 'The Lucky Ones' that starts out reflecting on being a closeted and insecure gay in highschool and growing into a confident and successful place and it was giving me some major deppy vibes.

It was also interesting and got me thinking about some of the similarities behind dnp and people like Scott from PTX, who grew a lot of their initial fanbase on youtube and weren't out at the beginning of their careers really taking off as well as being known on youtube for being part of a gay best friend duo that does short, chatty, fun videos and people's response to that i.e. shipping and stuff. Also he has a nice house in LA where he lives with his boyfriend and their cute dog and that's literally where I see dnp in like 2 years, just in London instead of LA.

Anyway, I also had a dream that Phil posted a pic on his story of like going to look at their house and it was like a sneak peak of the kitchen, which wasn't quite done but there were some snacks on the counter and the counter was some ugly tile and I was upset that they would make such a distasteful countertop choice :-? lmao. Nice to know that these are the things my sleeping brain worries about.
:transheart: :transheart: :transheart:
Levitating
#relatable

what has kati morton done that was so bad?

I am so curious for Cornelia, although her profile on ATF makes me think that she is just focusing on IG (where she keeps updating us on her journey to/through motherhood)! It would have been nice to see her on Youtube.

Whenever I think of Phil being "out in his personal life", I wonder then what was the role and awareness of Cornelia. Please correct me if I am wrong, but I think she has in the past given us a sort of "phan proof" in the sense that she has tagged DnP in places/events that DnP had not on their own publicised as something they had done together? She must have asked for permission, sure, but still. She seems accepting and open, as a person, which to me means that she would not think about how 'dangerous' some things are when it comes to DnP (with 'dangerous' meaning how much insight a picture that seems innocent can give to the phandom for a simple reflection on a glass!).
She would not find problematic things that DnP would because she was not that involved with internet culture. It must have been a little awkward to tell her, please no, not that picture because it shows x and, you don't feel like it is, but that x will reveal y to the phandom and create drama.

@inanerat your dream is the best AHAH
I instead am feeling quiet romantic when I think about a 18 years old Dan finding a lover in Phil and, in the years, developing that true love we all dream and maybe think we will never get.
Like, how lucky was he; how ideal was their destiny and match. The boy Phil had a crush on is now gone, there is a man now and Phil has learned to love that man too. And as a younger person, Dan must have seen Phil as the "more mature one" at the beginning, simply because of the difference in ages, someone to look up to, maybe to be judge by for some traces of childishness. But then, through the years, Dan has started seeing through the idealistic perception of Phil, learned to see the true Phil, his flaws, and still he loves him. How impressive all of this is?
Scout
squish
Pronouns: She/Her

Levitating wrote: Sat Jan 23, 2021 2:11 am what has kati morton done that was so bad?
When she was featured in Shane Dawson’s series about Jake Paul, she said a lot of rude and demonizing things about people with antisocial personality disorder. Would expect more from someone who has knowledge on and works with people who have mental disorders.
:lesbianflag:
shan
morning quiff

Amiaw wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 8:00 pm Not giving my thoughts on that panel but I am so curious why Dan decided to give over so much control of his career to YouTube.

It’s not the greatest look to leave for a year and then come back to basically be at their beck and call and be their go-to for panels and projects. Now it makes me question things like why he didn’t like or reblog anything about YouTube and captions earlier this year and why he follows both CEO’s and they follow him and I’m not loving it.

And I do want to say I’m not calling him a horrible person or anything but I’m questioning his career choices and his loyalty to that company that treats creators so poorly
I mean, Dan's career has been by and large YouTube so I wouldn't say he's giving control of his career to them by participating in panels/projects that will give him more exposure for his future YouTube project as well as his external projects, like the book which is perfectly related to this panel. He's getting paid for what will ultimately give him more exposure, he'd be mad not to take it.

I don't see the break from YouTube as relevant when we now know it wasn't completely voluntary.

YouTube may not be the perfect company but neither are any other video streaming services and there's simply nothing comparable for the type of content Dan made (makes?). No point burning ties with the people who have paid his bills for a decade when there's nowhere better to go.

Having zero interest in Shane Dawson, I know nothing about this Kati person. Was it a big enough drama that Dan would even be aware of the situation? I highly doubt he had any input into the panel members and may have some kind of contractual obligation to take part in it regardless. Especially if it's in any way related to the postponed project.

Edit:
lefthandedism wrote: Sat Jan 23, 2021 12:37 am TomSka has a nice anecdote about the phandom in a (rather interesting) video about being a creator at cons that he's posted on his side channel (at 37:32):
This was very sweet! That selfie with Phil was fantastic, love the visual of Tom in the middle of a gaggle of teen phans waiting for a photo :lol:
Templeofshame
rainbow nerd

Dan calls Kati Morton "an actual expert" and links to her in the Daniel and Depression description; I missed anyone suggesting that Dan would actually refuse to participate in a panel with her. But I understand the widespread disappointment of having a mental health panel that only contains one therapist, and that therapist (with a narrow marriage/family therapy license) has done some very public things that raise ethical concerns (I don't watch Shane Dawson so I don't know how clear-cut and terrible it is or isn't).
lefthandedism
simply stressed bisexual
simply stressed bisexual

Templeofshame wrote: Sat Jan 23, 2021 2:27 pm Dan calls Kati Morton "an actual expert" and links to her in the Daniel and Depression description; I missed anyone suggesting that Dan would actually refuse to participate in a panel with her. But I understand the widespread disappointment of having a mental health panel that only contains one therapist, and that therapist (with a narrow marriage/family therapy license) has done some very public things that raise ethical concerns (I don't watch Shane Dawson so I don't know how clear-cut and terrible it is or isn't).
Is there some way her license is narrow? A degree in Marriage and Family Therapy (MFT) is the typical degree for a licensed therapist (of any sort), at least in California, where she is licensed. And the MFT license itself requires many further qualifications beyond the degree, of course.
"If you're left-handed, ask a friend."
"Why am I left-handed?"
"Everybody makes mistakes."
inanerat
eclipse shirt
Pronouns: he/she/they

Ok so a while back someone started a convo about what would be a Phili video that we'd really love to see, and I talked about why I wanted VPMO2 and why it would realistically be something Phil would make, as well as something I would like.

And since we now have VPMO2, I would like to update my response: I would like a Phil nail art video.
Firstly, I think it would just be a funny and entertaining video for myself personally. But beyond that, I also think it is something that fits into Phil's sort of informal 'try new things' series, kind of like the Norman ( :( :betta: ) makeup look video; a chance to have fun and do something kind of creative and be bad at it but have a good time doing it. I was also reminiscing about that time Phil (tried to) helped Dan paint his nails yellow for that youngminds stream in 2017 and how much of a disaster it looked and how I want more of that. It also just generally fits youtube well, since like the makeup video and the wish haul videos, they're just things that do well and are generally liked and wide reaching on youtube. Also I can't remember for sure, but I know dnp get lil promo packages from various other youtubers, did either of them ever get one with Holo Taco? 'Cause if they still had it it would be a fun and convenient shout out, since I know they've hung out with simplynailogical at vidcon and stuff. Finally, like the makeup vid, it would give fandom members who actually are good at stuff like nail art a chance to have fun recreating whatever Phil does in a nicely done looking way.

Ok, that is all, I just needed to put it out there. :waiting:
:transheart: :transheart: :transheart: