Dan & Phil Part 98: forever home!!1!!!

Our two favourite full time internet nerds who never go outside!
TuxedoSam
*editing tips*

Amiaw wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 6:43 pm
TuxedoSam wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 6:17 pm
Levitating wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 6:09 pm
Megancita75 wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 4:22 pm or if it could just be something he wanted to do in advance of Dan's increasing book publicity.
This just made me realise how scary it may be, the possibility that journalists, noticing our interest in their relationships and thus the amount of views they would receive from such article, end up digging in their personal life. I would hate for a unwanted outing from a journalist to come and, most likely, influence their relationship :(

Another scary thing is that, if they are together, they would now be in a 10-years relationship, which is so so delicate. We all want true love to exist, but 10 years is a lot, especially if you start as such a young age because there are some massive changes you for through between being 20 and being 30 years old. You almost completely change, which tests a relationship. The idea of saying "we are together", having people celebrating them, must feel like a pressure to keep staying together just because of the support they would receive/the hope they would incite/the views (yes, too) they would get. All of these things play negatively against a relationship, which should be free of any restriction and move organically, on its own, according only to the emotions of two persons involved.
People don't need to celebrate them if they say they don't want it. Saying they don't want anything on it or ask on it would make most people respect it.
I really disagree that they would have pressure to still be together. If they are confortable with their relationship that shouldn't happen so maybe they are not very confortable with it then.
Confirm it and set boundaries it what i'm saying, not just confirm it and let people go crazy on it
Dan and Phil have already made very direct statements about how they feel on this. I know people want to know and most of the time there’s no ill intent but If people can’t accept the boundaries they’ve drawn now then they won’t respect them if they ever say more.
They made statement on what ? i don't know what you are talking about ?
It's not that i want them to say it for me to know, I have already said everything about why i think it doesn't make sense that if they want their privacy the best option is not to not confirm it. People still don't respect boundaries because they see dan and phil like fictional character. I have explained how people will understand how real it is if dnp confirmed it.
hello9217
flower crown
Pronouns: she/her

Back in 2011, 2012, 2013 they made statements that they weren’t together, that phan wasn’t real, that they were friends and nothing else. Dan asked people to stop asking him if they were together and it was just a fantasy that some people had that wouldn’t be true. A very clear statement that people blatantly ignored. They still continued to ask dan if him and phil were together, if they hung out with any woman then people would automatically think they were dating, blatantly hate the girl, and shout that phan was dead- despite the statements that they made. Obviously we have more insight into their thoughts now but back then no one did and they still asked dnp if they were together all the time. Other youtubers made clickbait videos about revealing their relationship- so yeah it was a Thing.

Now for a more recent example; in BIG Dan said “the details of my personal life our private” and says he wants to be angry or upset and for life to happen the way it sometimes does without it being a trending topic. He still gets asked in an interview with a gay magazine what his relationship with phil is, Phil STILL gets asked the question: ‘tell me about your CURRENT dating life. So yeah they have made statements about how they want to keep some parts of their life private and set up boundaries and people have blatantly ignored them, so it’s honestly not that easy to just make a statement and expect people to be like oh yeah of course.
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

inanerat wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 9:37 pm0:28- Honestly I really appreciate Phil knowing he's not the most open person on YT and being okay with that, and I also really love him continuing to open up more in the small ways that he wants to and feels comfortable doing.
I really loved this, too. It's such a nice middle ground between the old jokes about robot Phil and the guy we have seen enough to know he is now. Just saying 'yeah, this is the person I am' is a level of self-awareness I respect and admire.
inanerat wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 9:37 pm1:15- 'which video earned you the most ad money in 2020?'
It was:
1. Trying to bake my birthday cake w/o a recipie
2. VPMO2
3. First AC video
4. Awkward closet stories 2
5. Coming out- 1 year later
It is always interesting how, while he does answer, his initial 'jeez, right in there with the finances' comment is an indicator to me (of what we already know) that Phil just isn't a financial transparency/ talk abt money guy.
FUCK YES. I was living for this part. I'd love for him to do a whole video on analytics, to be honest. He doesn't have to say how much money he's actually made because I get how that might feel weird for someone on his level, but I'd just really love to look at what he's done that's more popular and what's less, what surprising view spikes there have been, etc.
inanerat wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 9:37 pm4:15- 'do you and the og youtubers still talk on a regular basis?'
Phil still chats with his first subscriber, John. And charlieissocoollike, would hang out if they happened to be in the same place. Generally thinks of other larger british youtubers as acquaintances/colleagues, but definitely more connected to them than to a random stranger.
This is also something I really love him being honest about. I think the Stereo show with Louise definitely had 'friendly collogue' vibes to it. With PJ it's obviously a stronger friendship (and part of me was expecting him to mention PJ, tbh) but the examples he gave felt so sincere.
inanerat wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 9:37 pm6:50- 'when did you loose your v-card?'
Lil talk about how virginity seems like a big deal until you finish school and then no one cares or talks about it again. The answer for Phil is at University. Don't feel pressured about it and shoutout to the asexuals :aceflag:
Also 'you... do you... until you're ready' is an amazing quote.
I wonder how much he workshopped these answers in his head? I mean I think this might have been my favorite one. He did give the forthright response but the other stuff around the (lack of) importance virginity really has was just really nice to hear, you know? I would have loved for him to have gone into how virginity itself as a concept just means a lot of different things/nothing when you bring in queer sex, but... what he did say felt exactly right.
inanerat wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 9:37 pm10:12- 'least favourite collab video?'
Not throwing anyone under the bus but Dan. Easter baking meringues was filmed the same day they were getting a flight to Australia, the baking was a flop, camera troubles, time was tight, it was bad. Funny vid in hindsight though.
Can we agree that the real answer is probably Shawna? Looking back that must have just been really fucking weird/uncomfortable for him to make a collab with someone that he probably just had slotted into 'old friend/og youtuber' category and then realize she was against gay marriage just after the collab was posted.
missemma
#teamshavedsides
#teamshavedsides

liola wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 11:03 pm Let's be clear I did not need an answer from him not was I expecting him to actually answer, it just made me roll my eyes because he's the one picking the questions and like he ignored a lot of others, he could just say "not gonna answer this" it's the way he said "I'm gonna answer" that made me a bit.. mash

Also the clickbait on the thumbnail, ya know
I’m late to the party but I’m in full agreement with you Lia.

Why have a video which apparently is about things he never usually answers with a clickbait image but then not actually answer the question he knows everyone is interested in. Him saying that he wants to keep his private life, private, is not something he never answers as we already know this. Sorry but it didn’t sit well with me and he knows the majority of the phandom are waiting for official confirmation (not me as I don’t need it y’know) but if you don’t want people to ask Phil, don’t bring it up and definitely don’t clickbait us. Please don’t be like other youtubers who do stuff like this for views, you don’t need it.

Also, why are D&P so unorganised. The story about them filming on the day they went to Australia. What is it with them and going on long distance journeys when they are filming and making themselves late. Dan and the deodorant issue and this, why don’t they learn 😂
:prideheart: :gayaf: :prideheart:
TuxedoSam
*editing tips*

hello9217 wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 7:43 pm Back in 2011, 2012, 2013 they made statements that they weren’t together, that phan wasn’t real, that they were friends and nothing else. Dan asked people to stop asking him if they were together and it was just a fantasy that some people had that wouldn’t be true. A very clear statement that people blatantly ignored. They still continued to ask dan if him and phil were together, if they hung out with any woman then people would automatically think they were dating, blatantly hate the girl, and shout that phan was dead- despite the statements that they made. Obviously we have more insight into their thoughts now but back then no one did and they still asked dnp if they were together all the time. Other youtubers made clickbait videos about revealing their relationship- so yeah it was a Thing.

Now for a more recent example; in BIG Dan said “the details of my personal life our private” and says he wants to be angry or upset and for life to happen the way it sometimes does without it being a trending topic. He still gets asked in an interview with a gay magazine what his relationship with phil is, Phil STILL gets asked the question: ‘tell me about your CURRENT dating life. So yeah they have made statements about how they want to keep some parts of their life private and set up boundaries and people have blatantly ignored them, so it’s honestly not that easy to just make a statement and expect people to be like oh yeah of course.
Oh yeah i know about this. You can't compare dan and phil being closeted and people knowing because of many reasons with them being a real couple and being real to themselves. At the time, as sad as it is, people knew they were lying so they arrased them to tell the truth. This is not what would happend if dan and phil confirmed now in this time that they are in a relationship while setting new boundaries and what they don't want people to do. Why would youtubers talk about something with no clickbait value if they confirm it ? it was clickbait at the time because their relationship was a secret and people knew. if they confirm it, it's not anymore.

And you know why he still gets asked ? because they didn't confirm it. as i said, people won't do this anymore after they confirm it and set boundaries. People have ignored the statement because they see dan and phil as fictional characters and again, as i said, they won't see it like that once it becomes very real and once dan and phil state clearly they don't want people to pry. they are gonna still be people being creepy, but not at the same level.
Megancita75
ar·tic·u·late

Hazel Hayes posted some Insta Stories today about being out and about in London for an appointment and it looked absolutely deserted and that made me sad to see and it made me also think about Phil's birthday this weekend and how it's just going to be different. I hope Phil is ordering a fancy cake for himself and organizing some online social hangs.
soveinco
drama llama

Megancita75 wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 4:22 pm What's interesting to me is to wonder about the timing of this video. I feel like Phil probably wanted to address this specific question and this type of video was a good way to do it, and I also suspect he put the screenshot in the thumbnail with the dating question because he wanted people to know he was going to address it (which to my mind is different from clickbait; it's more along the lines of "please look because I'm have something to say").

So if that's true it makes me wonder if there's anything that's happened behind the scenes that made him feel like he needed to bring this up now (like an onslaught of fan inquirey), or if they are planning on maybe doing more together and he wanted to get a jump on those sorts of questions, or if it could just be something he wanted to do in advance of Dan's increasing book publicity. Or maybe it's something he always intended to say, and now seemed a good a time as any.
I was also thinking about this! Because I got to a point last night when I was thinking about the video (overthinking, perhaps!), and I started to feel like, "This whole video was ABOUT THAT ONE QUESTION." (Even though I actually enjoyed the whole thing, and now desperately want director's commentary on more past videos. Also, obsessed with how "BYE" was in all-caps, the same way he says it.)

And then I was like, maybe I'm coming at this from the wrong angle. Maybe he wanted to make the video because he saw others doing it (he called out Tyler, etc., in the description) and liked the idea, and wants to keep pushing the boundaries of being more open about himself in his content, in non-current-dating-specific contexts. But he knew it would be impossible to make the video without acknowledging the most obvious question (some people are annoyed by the "I'm not gonna answer" answer; can't imagine how much more upset people would have been if he just DIDN'T EVEN ALLUDE TO IT), so he did it. That's what the placement of where the question falls in the video feels like to me: not first, but quite early, in a "let's get this out of the way" kind of way. Rather than being something big he builds up to and puts at the very end of the video. (Not that I'm a video editor; that's just how it felt to me as a viewer.)

And sure, maybe he could have just . . . chosen not to make this video if he didn't want to talk about it at all. But why should he have to? He's more than that one question. I really loved all the other stuff he was willing to share. His post-coming-out thoughts on stuff like the Buffy "crush" are so interesting to me, for example.

But I also think the other possibilities you bring up are quite likely as well: a reiterating of that boundary after the house thing (which is the biggest relationship-adjacent thing since coming out, so naturally stirs things up), and with extra publicity coming up because of the book. And also because he never did say it himself previously, that I remember; Dan said it on his behalf.
soveinco
drama llama

missemma wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 8:07 pm Also, why are D&P so unorganised. The story about them filming on the day they went to Australia. What is it with them and going on long distance journeys when they are filming and making themselves late. Dan and the deodorant issue and this, why don’t they learn 😂
(sorry to double-post, but just dying about this)

I saw someone on Tumblr (if it was someone here, sorry for stealing your thoughts without attribution, I just don't remember where I saw it!) speculate that it's because they felt like they needed to have a project to work on on the plane or else that whole long flight is a waste of time and tagged it "workaholics." :lol:

Sounds about right to me! Hopefully in the new sphere life, they've learned their lesson. (Also after TWO pre-Australia disasters!)
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

soveinco wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 9:23 pm
Megancita75 wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 4:22 pm What's interesting to me is to wonder about the timing of this video. I feel like Phil probably wanted to address this specific question and this type of video was a good way to do it, and I also suspect he put the screenshot in the thumbnail with the dating question because he wanted people to know he was going to address it (which to my mind is different from clickbait; it's more along the lines of "please look because I'm have something to say").

So if that's true it makes me wonder if there's anything that's happened behind the scenes that made him feel like he needed to bring this up now (like an onslaught of fan inquirey), or if they are planning on maybe doing more together and he wanted to get a jump on those sorts of questions, or if it could just be something he wanted to do in advance of Dan's increasing book publicity. Or maybe it's something he always intended to say, and now seemed a good a time as any.
I was also thinking about this! Because I got to a point last night when I was thinking about the video (overthinking, perhaps!), and I started to feel like, "This whole video was ABOUT THAT ONE QUESTION." (Even though I actually enjoyed the whole thing, and now desperately want director's commentary on more past videos. Also, obsessed with how "BYE" was in all-caps, the same way he says it.)

And then I was like, maybe I'm coming at this from the wrong angle. Maybe he wanted to make the video because he saw others doing it (he called out Tyler, etc., in the description) and liked the idea, and wants to keep pushing the boundaries of being more open about himself in his content, in non-current-dating-specific contexts. But he knew it would be impossible to make the video without acknowledging the most obvious question (some people are annoyed by the "I'm not gonna answer" answer; can't imagine how much more upset people would have been if he just DIDN'T EVEN ALLUDE TO IT), so he did it. That's what the placement of where the question falls in the video feels like to me: not first, but quite early, in a "let's get this out of the way" kind of way. Rather than being something big he builds up to and puts at the very end of the video. (Not that I'm a video editor; that's just how it felt to me as a viewer.)

And sure, maybe he could have just . . . chosen not to make this video if he didn't want to talk about it at all. But why should he have to? He's more than that one question. I really loved all the other stuff he was willing to share. His post-coming-out thoughts on stuff like the Buffy "crush" are so interesting to me, for example.

But I also think the other possibilities you bring up are quite likely as well: a reiterating of that boundary after the house thing (which is the biggest relationship-adjacent thing since coming out, so naturally stirs things up), and with extra publicity coming up because of the book. And also because he never did say it himself previously, that I remember; Dan said it on his behalf.
Also, as someone else already said, the answer might not be satisfying but it is something he's never directly said on his main channel. Dan said it - but Phil hadn't yet. So now we have the unified message from them and I do think that being on his channel, out there, boundary laid clear might have been something he just wanted for himself so it wasn't entirely just up to people to assume what Dan said a year and a half ago still went for him too.
Levitating
#relatable

I really disagree that they would have pressure to still be together. If they are confortable with their relationship that shouldn't happen so maybe they are not very confortable with it then.
Yeah, but what happens once they break up? They would have to leave the internet for.. .how long before people stop posting reminders of their life as a couple? The reason why they told us about Norman later than when it happened, I think, was to have time to mourn on their own before facing public's emotions (although nice/supporting, they were a lot of posts about norman).

And who is Shawna? :shock:
And you know why he still gets asked ? because they didn't confirm it.
On the other side, I do wonder why they won't simply say no, we are not together. it would take away half of the fan for many of the viewers who enjoy their relationship as possible lovers.
this to me means two things:
- they are together and thus to say no would be a straight lie, which is immature at this point of their life
- they are not together and are perfectly aware of the financial advantages of keeping the lines blurred. :rainbow:
Amiaw
interactive introvert

Not to change the subject but is it really believable that nobody has ever slid into Phil’s DM’s? He did say people have DM’d him in a friendly way but I don’t know if I fully believe his answer.
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

Amiaw wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 10:04 pm Not to change the subject but is it really believable that nobody has ever slid into Phil’s DM’s? He did say people have DM’d him in a friendly way but I don’t know if I fully believe his answer.
I mean... I guess to Phil's credit, Tom Daley did it completely out in the open, no DMing needed there.
Amiaw
interactive introvert

I guess I’m not interested in who so much as the timeline. Does he mean since the beginning of his YouTube career or recently because 2009 amazingphil was a pretty flirty guy
inanerat
eclipse shirt
Pronouns: he/she/they

alittledizzy wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 7:50 pm
inanerat wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 9:37 pm6:50- 'when did you loose your v-card?'
Lil talk about how virginity seems like a big deal until you finish school and then no one cares or talks about it again. The answer for Phil is at University. Don't feel pressured about it and shoutout to the asexuals :aceflag:
Also 'you... do you... until you're ready' is an amazing quote.
I wonder how much he workshopped these answers in his head? I mean I think this might have been my favorite one. He did give the forthright response but the other stuff around the (lack of) importance virginity really has was just really nice to hear, you know? I would have loved for him to have gone into how virginity itself as a concept just means a lot of different things/nothing when you bring in queer sex, but... what he did say felt exactly right.
lmao dizzy I love the enthusiasm as a queer person who enjoys talking about things like that, what virginity really means, what it means outside of the heteronormative expectation it was developed in, how sex is defined, etc., I would love that too but this is still the amazingphil channel we're talking about. Although I will still take 'you do you until you're ready' and the face that came after as Phil's condoning of masturbation :lol: and he did say fuck technically so maybe we are entering a new era.

Also this line of thought made me think like,,, what if Phil ever collabed with someone like Hannah Witton? That would be wild. But now that I've thought about it she seems like the type of person that maybe Dan would collab with. They have some similar styles and energies and overlap on more topics.
:transheart: :transheart: :transheart:
shan
morning quiff

TuxedoSam wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 8:08 pm And you know why he still gets asked ? because they didn't confirm it. as i said, people won't do this anymore after they confirm it and set boundaries. People have ignored the statement because they see dan and phil as fictional characters and again, as i said, they won't see it like that once it becomes very real and once dan and phil state clearly they don't want people to pry. they are gonna still be people being creepy, but not at the same level.
I really disagree with this. People who don't see DnP as 'real people' won't just snap out of that because they're officially told they're in a relationship. Being in a relationship doesn't humanise someone, tabloids are the perfect evidence of that. I think Dizzy said it already but people are fascinated by relationships in the media. People tend to get very invested in celebrity couples, tabloids make up bullshit stories about celebrities' lives because people want the gossip and the drama, even if there's no basis for it. Setting boundaries for privacy does nothing. I've seen this time and time again with YouTube couples as well. Every well-known YTer that presents themselves online with their partner opens themselves up to pseudo-relationship therapists and everything they do is analysed. This does already happen to a small degree for DnP but nowhere near as much as it would. I don't think I know of a single well-know YT couple that hasn't at some point had to say something to the effect of 'no, we're not breaking up' because of something someone who has nothing to do with their relationship saw in a video.

As others have said, they've set boundaries before and they get ignored, there's absolutely no evidence to support that this would be the magical timeline that everyone (or even most people) becomes respectful of their wishes. They've already stated their boundary on this issue 'the details of our private lives will be private' and if people can't accept that, why would they want to open themselves up to more scrutiny?

They've set their boundary and now it's up to everyone else to respect that. To be honest, if people are making a fuss on other sites as you said, I really don't see a future where that boundary is likely to change.
Phantasy
woodland creature

I think this amount of healthy conversation (fervor?) illustrates that although unified in their response on the subject, it’s still a perplexing can’t have your cake and eat it too type of reasoning. Coming off the heels of their last video, it’s sort of odd to say in one breath “we bought a house and are moving to our 4th place together in 10 years” and in the next breath say “but don’t ask if we’re a couple!”. For some (most?) observers that just seems like a curious line to draw. And, as I think has been showcased, just invites more speculation.

I think a more tactful (and less audience patronizing) approach would just let the obvious be stated, then stick to the line that “we’re not the Kardashians” or even Zoe and Alfie, so don’t expect that type of public display or audience invite behind the scenes—that just seems like an all around better way of dealing with the subject.

Otherwise, curiosity and distrust incubates and I see why some might cynically question their motivations... from being click-baity, to waiting for the book to make it official, or just purposefully keeping some mystery alive to generate continued interest and speculation.
Susanisnotafish
flower crown
Pronouns: She/her

Not throwing anyone under the bus but Dan. Easter baking meringues was filmed the same day they were getting a flight to Australia, the baking was a flop, camera troubles, time was tight, it was bad. Funny vid in hindsight though.
Can we agree that the real answer is probably Shawna? Looking back that must have just been really fucking weird/uncomfortable for him to make a collab with someone that he probably just had slotted into 'old friend/og youtuber' category and then realize she was against gay marriage just after the collab was posted.
How do we know he didn’t know she was against gay marriage and that he found out after the collab was posted?
"Rub those freckles all over me!" --Daniel Howell
Phantasy
woodland creature

A refreshing bit of wholesome... I wonder if Dan knows he’s a popular tiktok meme? Hundreds of tiktoks using an audio clip from BiG “what is Dan’s sexuality? Spoiler alert! I’m not straight!”.
https://vm.tiktok.com/ZMJEcvKvr/
sapienveneficus
rainbow nerd

Phantasy wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 9:02 pm
I guess at least it was thematically consistent with Dan’s answer on the same subject from BIG, but still I argue that by being coy that actually invites more speculation, questions and opinions, especially from casual viewers, so I’m not sure if I understand the reason for the answer at this point. I think a much better approach would be to provide a surface level acknowledgement, something to the effect of “well, in case you missed our last video, Dan and I bought a house together” and leave it at that.
THIS

Deppy’s approach to the “relationship question” continues to baffle me. If privacy is truly what they desire, they’re going about it all wrong. “Who am I dating? Well, that’s one secret I’ll never tell, but I did just buy a house with my best friend, wink wink!” Given their history, these evasive answers will only fuel further invasive speculation. If they simply said, “Yep, we’re dating and no we’re not going to talk about it, next question.” That would shut it all down.

Sure, fans in creative spaces would continue to write fic and other folks who have been in the phandom for a long time would speculate how much of the drug deal timeline is genuine. But casual askers would have had their curiosity satisfied and move on. I, forever the cynic, can’t help but assume that they keep the speculation going because of, well, :moneybath:
"Someone, somewhere is into that." Daniel Howell
soveinco
drama llama

sapienveneficus wrote: Thu Jan 28, 2021 12:32 pm I, forever the cynic, can’t help but assume that they keep the speculation going because of, well, :moneybath:
It's certainly a possibility! YouTube is a job. But man, I just have so much trouble imagining that conversation, from what we know of them (which admittedly is only what they choose to show us). And maybe my imagination is just coming up short; I'm sure other people don't have trouble imagining it. But I keep coming up with something that looks like: "Now that we're trying to be more open and honest so we can live our lives in a more fulfilling way and be happier people, should we maybe tell the world we're [in love/engaged/deeply committed but open to seeing other people/celibate monks who have built our own two-person monastery]?" "Eh, better to keep them guessing; drives up the clicks and ad revenue." :P

I mean, if making money was (at this point in their careers) so much of a motivator for how they live their lives, surely they would also do things like hire someone young and eager out of film school to edit their gaming videos for them (their style can't be THAT hard to imitate, they have like three video effects and four stock music clips, xoxo love you guys, but omg), or make a streaming deal with Twitch, or like, not make THE MOST unprofitable creative choices for every single product on the store (chickenfreeblog on Tumblr does great analysis every time they have a merch drop like, "could you have made something LESS likely to make you a profit"??) All of which would be, like, normal business decisions, and not impact their personal lives to the extent this does.

But they don't do them, possibly because they're control freaks over what they make, and like things to be exactly the way THEY like them, even if it then means "no more gaming videos because we don't have time to edit them ourselves" or, on the personal life side, "let's choose where EVERY PLUG IN THE HOUSE GOES.")

It seems more like they did the calculus about what would happen if they confirmed [whatever] and what would happen if they didn't (because I feel like there's no way they aren't painfully aware of every factor we've already talked about here—mass media reaction, headlines, interviewers, fandom reaction, impact on viewer interest, their own traumatizing history with having details of their early relationship splattered everywhere for everyone to see in the most humiliating and exposing way possible—but there's also got to be factors we can't guess at, since we see so little of their lives) and that the answer they came up with after doing all that math was "Fuck it. It's no one's business but ours, and we don't care what that answer makes us look like or what people think about it." Maybe someday enough factors will change that they will feel like it would be better for them to confirm [whatever] in a public, unambiguous, going-to-result-in-headlines way. Or maybe someday they'll get married or similar public-facing thing, and not have a choice but to tell the world before it becomes public knowledge some other way. (Like how they didn't tell us about the house for three years [!], but it's gotten to the point where they didn't really have a choice but to acknowledge it, and they would literally have no choice once they actually move, unless they wanted to try to hide it in videos and pictures, which would be exhausting and probably impossible. Whereas they have a lot of experience not talking about their relationship status.)

I just had a flash from an alternate timeline re: expectations. Imagine if they did say they were together, but still weren't comfortable doing things like, say, holding hands in a photo or saying "I love you" in a social media post, and every comment then being about what that meant for their relationship. The e x p e c t a t i o n to perform their feelings for each other in public that would result. God, I'm exhausted just thinking about it as a spectator. (Dan voice in BIG): "I don't want that."
hello9217
flower crown

Here is word for word what dan said in BIG:
And I bet so many people wanna know so much more about that which, honestly, I take as a compliment. But here’s the thing. I’m somebody that wants to keep the details of my personal life private. So is Phil. I know lots of people these days, thanks to social media, want to share and monetize every aspect of their life and then as soon as something changes suddenly it’s this huge drama because everybody got invested in the story of your life like it’s a soap opera. I don’t want that. I wanna do certain things without an audience. I wanna be spontaneous. I don’t wanna feel afraid to take risks. I want to enjoy totally fucking something up and not have to post a statement about it. And if anyone thinks people really have to share these things about their life, you need to rethink your position.
So to me it seems they say nothing because they DON'T want people watching them just because they are a couple and they DON'T explicitly say the nature of their relationship because then it would become a whole thing where they have to make these grand statements if something did happen to them. It may not make since to us but it makes since to them
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

Susanisnotafish wrote: Thu Jan 28, 2021 3:27 am
How do we know he didn’t know she was against gay marriage and that he found out after the collab was posted?
I suppose we don't know that but none of her statements on it were made in places he would easily have seen, and a lot of Shawna's actual fans didn't know she had that stance until after someone in phandom brought it up. I have a hard time imagining Phil voluntarily making a video with someone he knew to be homophobic, I guess.
Amiaw
interactive introvert

Saw this tweet and this sounds sooo much like Phil in his older videos.
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

Amiaw wrote: Thu Jan 28, 2021 6:13 pm Saw this tweet and this sounds sooo much like Phil in his older videos.
His handwriting is so nicer and so much more delicate than I would have expected!

Also does that sentence he covered end in the word 'penis'? bc lmao
shan
morning quiff

To be honest, if they were trying to cash in on the speculation they're doing a really crappy job at it. Until December there was a grand total of two AP videos with Dan in two years and one was off-screen and the other he was primarily a camera man.