Dan & Phil Part 98: forever home!!1!!!

Our two favourite full time internet nerds who never go outside!
onemoresock
drama llama
Pronouns: she/they/he

this is really gonna happen all over again in 2 days, huh?
*blows kiss* for dop and pop
ukhon
phillion/danosaur <//3
Pronouns: she/her

I’m sorry if anyone here had an audio message that was read out but it must be said - a lot of them were awkward and to the detriment of the conversation. Like the convo between them would be going somewhere and then they’d play one and it would just be them pretending to care about it like ‘....oh.... hahaha.... wow’ and then it would be stilted again. They have sooo many funny, domestic stories that I would listen to for hours on end, the audio messages felt largely redundant tho idk :/
dontpanic
#relatable

ukhon wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 10:19 pm I’m sorry if anyone here had an audio message that was read out but it must be said - a lot of them were awkward and to the detriment of the conversation. Like the convo between them would be going somewhere and then they’d play one and it would just be them pretending to care about it like ‘....oh.... hahaha.... wow’ and then it would be stilted again. They have sooo many funny, domestic stories that I would listen to for hours on end, the audio messages felt largely redundant tho idk :/
I'm really glad you said that because I can never tell if I hate most forms of audience participation bc I get second-hand embarrassment super intensely or if they're actually awkward.
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

Phanshy
cheeky #spon

ukhon wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 10:19 pm I’m sorry if anyone here had an audio message that was read out but it must be said - a lot of them were awkward and to the detriment of the conversation. Like the convo between them would be going somewhere and then they’d play one and it would just be them pretending to care about it like ‘....oh.... hahaha.... wow’ and then it would be stilted again. They have sooo many funny, domestic stories that I would listen to for hours on end, the audio messages felt largely redundant tho idk :/
I absolutely hate the whole premise of voice messages it makes me feel so anxious and embarrassed and add nothing to the conversation for me, I'd much prefer a text based interaction so they can filter out the cringey or irrelevant ones.
I haven't posted in a while but how is this the new normal twice a week shows might kill me. I can't believe how quickly things have changed, I'd kinda given up on ever having this level of joint content again, in a way their recent content since the first joint Stereo show is how I'd pictured things would be if they ever came out, I'm glad they are in a place where they feel comfortable sharing this with us.
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

Can't get over a lot of things about this show but at the moment I'm just thinking about how Phil has more social anxiety but Dan makes him get the food, and thinking of the mukbang and also the final google feud where they fought about who was gonna get the pizza.

WHY DOES EVERYTHING MAKE ME WANNA WEEP. What are these men doing to me. And how am I gonna survive this again in two days.
snoopysadie
pumpkin spice pumpkin cookie

i started to work outside again this week and i see people not wearing masks, being close to me, the bus is also kinda crowded so i have been a bALL of anxiety for 7 working days now.
but those two grown ass british idiots have the SUPERPOWER to make my anxiety literally go away for however long they interact with each other.
i think the only way i won't get myself sick from all this anxiety will actually be the liveshows.

can you believe at this time last year we had given up on joint liveshows ever happening? they never do what we expect, do they?

eta: when they were talking about the snacks and phil said "i'm a growing boy" i literally screamed "yOU ARE THIRTY FOUR YEARS OF AGE". i love him too much. :stan:
"I still remember... the first day I met you."
"I remember it, too"
fruitcriminals
rainbow nerd

I've listened to other youtubers on stereo who have straight up said they're being moderated, and the stereo website says "We have a team of moderators who ensure Stereo Shows are free from hate speech and offensive content." So I am assuming stereo need to be assigned better moderators to not only edit out the offensive and weird messages, to also get rid of the cringe?

Although I did like that the lady door message led to Dan very clearly setting a boundary. YES! I agree, it was funny at the time but it's a new year, a new season in their life and I like that he said people should be nice to him/them, put your foot all the way down mate.

I also hope Phil just blocks the word boomer from his instagram. Just because some of the gamer boys will happily get roasted and bant with their fans and roast them right back, not everyone should have to. Some people are sensitive and that's fine! In that situation I'd be telling everyone to F right off and banning the word boomer on Phil's instagram.

Man I'm so here for getting rid of the lady door chat and me having more Phill ass content.
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

fruitcriminals wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 11:25 pm I've listened to other youtubers on stereo who have straight up said they're being moderated, and the stereo website says "We have a team of moderators who ensure Stereo Shows are free from hate speech and offensive content." So I am assuming stereo need to be assigned better moderators to not only edit out the offensive and weird messages, to also get rid of the cringe?
I genuinely don't understand how that was moderated and some of those still got through. You can see the activity in a show and they played 17 messages, but received 8468 messages. In that almost EIGHT AND A HALF THOUSAND other messages they couldn't find one that wasn't random noises? Wild.

There were also 16,257 listeners throughout and the it peaked at 10,790 listeners at one time.
fruitcriminals
rainbow nerd

alittledizzy wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 11:41 pm
fruitcriminals wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 11:25 pm I've listened to other youtubers on stereo who have straight up said they're being moderated, and the stereo website says "We have a team of moderators who ensure Stereo Shows are free from hate speech and offensive content." So I am assuming stereo need to be assigned better moderators to not only edit out the offensive and weird messages, to also get rid of the cringe?
I genuinely don't understand how that was moderated and some of those still got through. You can see the activity in a show and they played 17 messages, but received 8468 messages. In that almost EIGHT AND A HALF THOUSAND other messages they couldn't find one that wasn't random noises? Wild.

There were also 16,257 listeners throughout and the it peaked at 10,790 listeners at one time.
First they break stereo, then they break the moderators lol! I can just imagine someone sitting in a tiny cubicle somewhere overseas with messages blasting at them through a headset whilst they cry and google what a lady door is to work out if it's offensive.
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

fruitcriminals wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 11:46 pm

First they break stereo, then they break the moderators lol! I can just imagine someone sitting in a tiny cubicle somewhere overseas with messages blasting at them through a headset whilst they cry and google what a lady door is to work out if it's offensive.
I volunteer if the need a new moderator. I won't let anything cringe or inappropriate through!

(Maybe I'll also ban anything else but interior decor questions. But we won't tell them that.)
fruitcriminals
rainbow nerd

alittledizzy wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 11:51 pm
fruitcriminals wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 11:46 pm

I volunteer if the need a new moderator. I won't let anything cringe or inappropriate through!

(Maybe I'll also ban anything else but interior decor questions. But we won't tell them that.)
I would fully support both you doing the moderating and you doing the moderating like that. I'd have put myself forward for typing the transcript, I do a good line in speed audio typing but I'd be guaranteed to put my own sarcastic comments that nobody would want at the end of each sentence.
hello9217
flower crown

Lol I really just love them. What sweet boys :rainbowtears: The sincerity which dan can say that he is a different version of himself when phil is around and he doesn’t have to be as serious and can just be chaotic :( . Like that whole talk was already so much AND then he has the audacity to go on and say that phil brings more warmth into his life :(. Yes I know they were talking about the interior design but it was just a too much moment.

Also dan sounded like he felt soooo bad for bringin up the selfie. And phil’s tiny .....no when he asked if they could talk about it.

As an aside- I don’t remember if it was here or tumblr that had this discussion but phil said ‘our’ shower so there you go to the people that said dnp couldn’t be together bc they had different bathrooms lol
inanerat
eclipse shirt
Pronouns: he/she/they

I might listen to the recording back and post my thoughts but right now (after a nap) my main thought is just like,, idk how to articulate it,, but how comfortable they seem to be talking about things in ways that, while not explicitly stating it, very much give off couple-y vibes, especially if you didn't know who they were. It's makin me a bit emotional :( but like in a good way.

And the moderation stuff is very interesting. Needed, I'm completely sure, and could be done better but GOD the idea of moderating audio messages just sounds like a nightmare, especially en masse. I wonder (hope) if they have any automation that can catch things that have like no noise in them or are super loud or anything. Also interesting because the messages come up with a person's avatar (which is always a face, not like choose your own image from the internet) if messages for moderation also show the avatar, as there's a potential there for bias based on faces (whether or not they are accurate to the person with the account) that could be challenging to deal with.
I have thought often about how dnp would manage something like moderation if they chose to do anything (gaming or just chatting, I would love if they did either or both tbh) on twitch because twitch moderation is managed by the streamer. I'm sure there are services out there that have live people that will moderate, and there's bots for keeping the simple stuff out of the way. But generally twitch mod interaction and culture is very entwined in the community of a chat, with mods being mates or very early community members of some kind, and not just random people.
:transheart: :transheart: :transheart:
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

natigail is an actual angel and has transcribed bits of the show!! Here is a master post with all of them but I'm embedding my fave. (For the moment. Faves are almost guaranteed to change about every five minutes.)
This is such a reflection of their LIFE collaboration.

:rainbowtears:
shan
morning quiff

inanerat wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 12:57 am I might listen to the recording back and post my thoughts but right now (after a nap) my main thought is just like,, idk how to articulate it,, but how comfortable they seem to be talking about things in ways that, while not explicitly stating it, very much give off couple-y vibes, especially if you didn't know who they were. It's makin me a bit emotional :( but like in a good way.

And the moderation stuff is very interesting. Needed, I'm completely sure, and could be done better but GOD the idea of moderating audio messages just sounds like a nightmare, especially en masse. I wonder (hope) if they have any automation that can catch things that have like no noise in them or are super loud or anything. Also interesting because the messages come up with a person's avatar (which is always a face, not like choose your own image from the internet) if messages for moderation also show the avatar, as there's a potential there for bias based on faces (whether or not they are accurate to the person with the account) that could be challenging to deal with.
I have thought often about how dnp would manage something like moderation if they chose to do anything (gaming or just chatting, I would love if they did either or both tbh) on twitch because twitch moderation is managed by the streamer. I'm sure there are services out there that have live people that will moderate, and there's bots for keeping the simple stuff out of the way. But generally twitch mod interaction and culture is very entwined in the community of a chat, with mods being mates or very early community members of some kind, and not just random people.
I still really like the concept of the audio messages and when it's done right, I think it really does add to the conversation. Hard agree that the moderation is not working great right now though and, honestly, no wonder if they're having to sift through 8000+ clips in 45 minutes.

I'm also interested in something posted earlier and the bit about moderating hate speech. Obviously that's great but it got me thinking about the first part of the show when they were asking for names for the next livestream. Surely soooo many people must have submitted 'Quarantine Queers' but the clip that was ultimately chosen was 'Quarantine Companions'. I could absolutely be reading way too much into it but I wonder if Stereo moderators ignore messages that include words referencing sexuality, even when the streamer publicly identifies as gay/queer? I can't remember off the top of my head any messages that have made it through so far that have included those words and that strikes me as a little bit strange considering it's a very prominent part of the deppy branding now.
plinthofmylife
janice from the shop

I don't think I realized how much I had lowered my expectations and genuinely did not believe this stream would actually happen (aka stereo would break) or just that the stream would be a very soulless weird spon-fest.

I was supremely delighted and started to remember we used to have regular liveshows. REGULAR LIVE SHOWS.
inanerat
eclipse shirt
Pronouns: he/she/they

shan wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 2:09 am
inanerat wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 12:57 am
I might listen to the recording back and post my thoughts but right now (after a nap) my main thought is just like,, idk how to articulate it,, but how comfortable they seem to be talking about things in ways that, while not explicitly stating it, very much give off couple-y vibes, especially if you didn't know who they were. It's makin me a bit emotional :( but like in a good way.

I still really like the concept of the audio messages and when it's done right, I think it really does add to the conversation. Hard agree that the moderation is not working great right now though and, honestly, no wonder if they're having to sift through 8000+ clips in 45 minutes.

I'm also interested in something posted earlier and the bit about moderating hate speech. Obviously that's great but it got me thinking about the first part of the show when they were asking for names for the next livestream. Surely soooo many people must have submitted 'Quarantine Queers' but the clip that was ultimately chosen was 'Quarantine Companions'. I could absolutely be reading way too much into it but I wonder if Stereo moderators ignore messages that include words referencing sexuality, even when the streamer publicly identifies as gay/queer? I can't remember off the top of my head any messages that have made it through so far that have included those words and that strikes me as a little bit strange considering it's a very prominent part of the deppy branding now.
Agree that the audio messages can be a nice thing! A bit cringe at times, and I feel for people with more second hand embarrassment stuff, I've handled it pretty well with these liveshows, but I understand where you're coming from and how it could be to much for people. I also think that even though it interrupts the super regular, feels-like-home deppy back and forth a little bit it is an important part of it, especially with them expressing that one of the things they are craving and wanting out of this is some more interactivity.

This is also a really interesting point, especially with words like queer which definitely can be used as hate speech depending on the context. I wonder what context moderators get, whether they listen to the stream itself simultaneously or bits of it so they have a feel for the vibe or if they just get the theme or question prompt and go from there. 'Quarantine Queers' was definitely an option that came to my mind, with the theme on being in lockdown and alliteration, but I didn't personally send it in because I don't feel like I've heard Phil call himself queer enough to feel comfortable doing so (not that I think he would be hurt by it or people that sent it in were wrong in doing so, I don't think it's a big thing).
I also wonder, were they to choose a title like quarantine queers for a show, what stereo's algorithms are in terms of tags and titles with references to things like sexuality, since I know other social medias have had/have issues with shadowbanning type things around certain LGBTQ+ community (including non-slur) words. One would hope not, expecially as they have multiple rainbow avatar options and have done deals with several other LGBTQ+ creators (I know Jamie and Shaaba have done spon with them, I think I saw Bob the Drag Queen was doing one, although it was in passing and not sure if it was spon, but I'm inclined to assume it was). But, as many social media platforms have shown, you can do certain things to support the community, and then have subtle background things with shitty queerphobic algorithms so :shrug:

Also since I mentioned them, if you some cute, fun, queer (and trans) Jessica and Claud type content, Jamie and Shaaba are super sweet.
:transheart: :transheart: :transheart:
fruitcriminals
rainbow nerd

That liveshow gave me too many vibes. I can't sleep and have been banished to the spare room. Lockdown marriage amirite.

I had to listen twice to twig the 'do you like the C' 'yes I like the sea' thing, although to be fair Phil didn't catch on either Nice to know I'm not always a complete degenerative perv.

Someone on tumblr mentioned Dan saying honey a lot lately and then I twigged why it was familiar. These stereo shows are giving me total Trixie and Katya parallels. Dan as Trixie, Phil as Katya. I can't believe I didn't realise it before! I mean obviously a less confident in their boundaries/non drag queen/not been out of the closet 2 years yet and we spent one of those years stuck inside, toned down version. But a version.
shan
morning quiff

inanerat wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 3:29 am
shan wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 2:09 am
inanerat wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 12:57 am

Agree that the audio messages can be a nice thing! A bit cringe at times, and I feel for people with more second hand embarrassment stuff, I've handled it pretty well with these liveshows, but I understand where you're coming from and how it could be to much for people. I also think that even though it interrupts the super regular, feels-like-home deppy back and forth a little bit it is an important part of it, especially with them expressing that one of the things they are craving and wanting out of this is some more interactivity.

This is also a really interesting point, especially with words like queer which definitely can be used as hate speech depending on the context. I wonder what context moderators get, whether they listen to the stream itself simultaneously or bits of it so they have a feel for the vibe or if they just get the theme or question prompt and go from there. 'Quarantine Queers' was definitely an option that came to my mind, with the theme on being in lockdown and alliteration, but I didn't personally send it in because I don't feel like I've heard Phil call himself queer enough to feel comfortable doing so (not that I think he would be hurt by it or people that sent it in were wrong in doing so, I don't think it's a big thing).
I also wonder, were they to choose a title like quarantine queers for a show, what stereo's algorithms are in terms of tags and titles with references to things like sexuality, since I know other social medias have had/have issues with shadowbanning type things around certain LGBTQ+ community (including non-slur) words. One would hope not, expecially as they have multiple rainbow avatar options and have done deals with several other LGBTQ+ creators (I know Jamie and Shaaba have done spon with them, I think I saw Bob the Drag Queen was doing one, although it was in passing and not sure if it was spon, but I'm inclined to assume it was). But, as many social media platforms have shown, you can do certain things to support the community, and then have subtle background things with shitty queerphobic algorithms so :shrug:

Also since I mentioned them, if you some cute, fun, queer (and trans) Jessica and Claud type content, Jamie and Shaaba are super sweet.
That's what I'm thinking might be happening, they've either shadowbanned those terms or the moderators automatically discount any responses that include them. I haven't listened to any other chats on the app so I'm really not sure if this is accurate and there's also the potential that maybe it's only for Phil's shows since the number of listeners and messages received would be so much higher than average and it would be easier to do a blanket ban of any term that could have potentially hateful connotations. Not necessarily great, but I can understand. They've come a long way from the first Phil and Phriends when the app kept crashing but it's still definitely a work in progress and deppy plus their legion of dedicated phans are absolutely the guinea pigs of how to make this work for larger audiences. From the shows Stereo has automatically dropped me into (that I then immediately mute), it seems like there's a pretty sizable LGBTQ+ community using the app so I'd be surprised if there was anything strange going on around universally shadowbanning these kinds of terms, especially since they've been sponsoring so many creators who identify as LGBTQ+. Like I said, there's also every possibility I'm just overthinking this but I have found it a bit strange.

I'd be really interested to know how the messages are moderated (ie. as the voice clip itself or if they have an auto-transcribing feature). Either way, I have no idea how the Adam one got past them!

I'm also having a re-listen on the IDB YouTube upload and just wanted to say kudos to whoever chose the image. I keep finding myself staring at it instead of minimising the tab and working on other things :lol:
Phantasy
woodland creature

alittledizzy wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 1:34 am natigail is an actual angel and has transcribed bits of the show!! Here is a master post with all of them but I'm embedding my fave. (For the moment. Faves are almost guaranteed to change about every five minutes.)
This is such a reflection of their LIFE collaboration.

:rainbowtears:
“life collaboration” — what a wonderful sentiment!

I’m wonder how they arrived at their design compromises—forget about the grief of leaving socks everywhere, try remodeling/decorating with your partner! I’m glad at least to hear there is compromise, because it’s clear Dan has much stronger opinion (opinion ≠ taste) in these areas so it’s probably best that Phil is there to soften the edges. I’m guessing Dan’s aesthetic will be the stronger influence though—really hope they do a proper tour even if just showing some of the main areas...
somelikeitpink
living flop

hello9217 wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 12:12 am Lol I really just love them. What sweet boys :rainbowtears: The sincerity which dan can say that he is a different version of himself when phil is around and he doesn’t have to be as serious and can just be chaotic :( . Like that whole talk was already so much AND then he has the audacity to go on and say that phil brings more warmth into his life :(. Yes I know they were talking about the interior design but it was just a too much moment.
YES THIS WAS A WHOLE MOMENT. I found it so interesting because I thought it come up on the board here recently too. I mean... what a mood it was....
plinthofmylife wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 2:09 am I was supremely delighted and started to remember we used to have regular liveshows. REGULAR LIVE SHOWS.
Wow... what a concept. I remember there was a time where we had liveshows each PLUS the radio show. I have no idea how survived any of that.
Imlost
not a first-time poster

Hi again!
This liveshow was so lovely, and completely exceeded my expectations. Loving reading all of your thoughts as well, it has been a while since there's been this much going on in the phandom. I can't even pick my favourite moments from the show, all in all the vibe was so great and they really seemed to talk quite freely. There wasn't really anything holding them back.
Surprisingly, I have to say that I kind of disagree about the audio messages. I get second-hand embarrassment very easily, but I thought this show was fine. I mean apart from the one message with just some random voices, the messages were okay in my opinion. No one crossed a line or asked anything awkward. And I think it might be nice for Dan and Phil to actually hear individual voices rather than read a busy chat, where people feel more anonymous/part of the mass. Although I have to admit, I do prefer audience interaction in text form.
Other thing, I noticed on tumblr that people have went to that photo of Phil with "boomer Karen energy" and started to spam the comments with it. I don't really like that, don't think it's funny. For me it seemed like Phil was actually a bit embarrassed about it, and now people are making more jokes about it. Idk, to me it just seems a bit mean, although I know it's not that deep.
kavat
pastel persona

There's a 1000 things to discuss from that liveshow but I want to point out that they actually talked about the Haru pillow.

If that's not symbolic of where we are in 2021 I don't know what is. :haru:
glitterintheair
phillluminati

I think part of my brain was still firm on pre-coming out dnp because when Dan started talking about how he and Phil are "so psychic and mind connected" and how different he's around Phil, with such sincerity and a bit of pride in his voice, I was like: "wait, are we allowed to hear this? Are they allowed to say this? What's happening?"
We're getting joint content as a regular thing after such a long time and I think I realized that yes, their dynamic is still the same in some aspects but in completely different in others (in a good way) and I wasn't completely prepared for it, I guess.
I'm a winter flower underground, always thirsty for summer rain.