Dan & Phil Part 98: forever home!!1!!!

Our two favourite full time internet nerds who never go outside!
plinthofmylife
janice from the shop
Pronouns: she/her

scientia wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 4:03 am One of these days I'd love to come up with a timeline of their home process. The fact that they were on tour and had concerns about the home (? or moving out of the apartment?) is just wild. I was in the process of looking for my first ever home back in March 2020 and had to cancel everything; I can't imagine this process lasting literal years!
Not that I am an expert but me and my SO are in the process of building a complete custom build (triplex) on a site we already own - and the whole process started in 2018 and we haven’t even broke ground yet. Architecture, engineering, and more than everything because we are in a city - site review and zoning, have taken up of time. We have been back and forth with the city for a year since initial permitting started. And this is with a general contractor and an engineering firm.

There are also a bunch of clocks going on - countdown For demolition permit, countdown for construction permit, notification. Also we had VERY little choice in the outside even though it is getting built from scratch because of the restriction “historic neighborhood” design guidelines and the shape of stuff.

Anyway if you are in a City, the process can take a long time. If they are staying in greater London, they might be buying into a townhouse or condo complex or subdivision and usually the outside will already be set up, you put a deposit down, and they have to wait to fill up most or all of the slots before they do the customization thing.

Also Dan and Phil both referenced they previously have almost bought a house and it fell through during the buying process. I wonder if since 2017 they have been trying to buy a place, but the actual new place hasn’t been that long.

So essentially Construction takes a damn long time in a city

Also incidentally our kitchen will be opposite there’s because it is for short people and I am in love with it.
scientia
phabergé

plinthofmylife wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 4:13 am
scientia wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 4:03 am One of these days I'd love to come up with a timeline of their home process. The fact that they were on tour and had concerns about the home (? or moving out of the apartment?) is just wild. I was in the process of looking for my first ever home back in March 2020 and had to cancel everything; I can't imagine this process lasting literal years!
Not that I am an expert but me and my SO are in the process of building a complete custom build (triplex) on a site we already own - and the whole process started in 2018 and we haven’t even broke ground yet. Architecture, engineering, and more than everything because we are in a city - site review and zoning, have taken up of time. We have been back and forth with the city for a year since initial permitting started. And this is with a general contractor and an engineering firm.

There are also a bunch of clocks going on - countdown For demolition permit, countdown for construction permit, notification. Also we had VERY little choice in the outside even though it is getting built from scratch because of the restriction “historic neighborhood” design guidelines and the shape of stuff.

Anyway if you are in a City, the process can take a long time. If they are staying in greater London, they might be buying into a townhouse or condo complex or subdivision and usually the outside will already be set up, you put a deposit down, and they have to wait to fill up most or all of the slots before they do the customization thing.

Also Dan and Phil both referenced they previously have almost bought a house and it fell through during the buying process. I wonder if since 2017 they have been trying to buy a place, but the actual new place hasn’t been that long.

So essentially Construction takes a damn long time in a city

Also incidentally our kitchen will be opposite there’s because it is for short people and I am in love with it.
Very interesting, thank you! And you're right, I could totally be mis-remembering about which part of the house-hunting/building fell through in 2017. I hope 2021 is the year you break ground.
shan
morning quiff

From what Phil said in his video about the 2017 house it was supposed to be for a home reno show they pitched and they were going to flip it, I don't think it was going to be their forever home. Unless that was a cover story because they weren't ready to announce their move at the time? I don't really think so though because of the whole privacy/not showing off angle Dan's always preached re: apartment tours.

Or was there another house they almost bought? So much has been said recently I could be forgetting something!
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

Someone on tumblr asked about "the rules" and it has brought back a whole crashing wave of nostalgia. Man, Dan and Phil, can you drop another blurred out poorly handwritten document again, I love tackling that kind of mystery so much.
lefthandedism
simply stressed bisexual
simply stressed bisexual

"The Rules" were a document seen on the piano in the Manchester apartment in the background of a liveshow (?).

For those not familiar with the early days of the forum, deciphering "the rules" was an early IDB endeavor. You can follow the course of the project in this thread: Dan & Phil Part 4: The Cheekiest Link.

I'm not sure where the final version is, but this is a work in progress:

"If you're left-handed, ask a friend."
"Why am I left-handed?"
"Everybody makes mistakes."
Levitating
#relatable

Do you guys know more about the gifts they exchanged with each other and where these presents have been in all of these years? Like, the plushies. I remember seeing that little green monster from Phil in Dan's bed in their first flat, but has it been seen after that/recently?

I have been watching a lot of 2009 content lately and it's funny/cute to see how in the past Dan has this sort of reverence towards Phil (giggles at his jokes and makes some "dumb" comments Phil corrects him about) while now Phil is the one who sounds naïve and "dumb" and Dan is the darkly sarcastic one who corrects him/is exasperated by him.
I remember when I was in a relationship and he was older than me I started feeling frustrated at his tendency to treat me like a child. For them, it seems like that balance works.
onceinaugust
rainbow nerd

I haven't kept up to date with Phil's membership, has he actually come through on all of the perks listed on his channel? I know he does the member posts sporadically, but has he ever put out a merch discount code just for them or replied to 20 people in the comments on each video? I don't know if the membership has been around long enough to hit the rainbow cactus mark for the videos he mentions.
"You loved it, you want to do it more."
"Alright"
soveinco
drama llama

Levitating wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 8:16 pm Do you guys know more about the gifts they exchanged with each other and where these presents have been in all of these years? Like, the plushies. I remember seeing that little green monster from Phil in Dan's bed in their first flat, but has it been seen after that/recently?
This video has many of them through 2017: https://youtu.be/vs6NZOmxaOo (credit to an IDB thread in the video description).

The Tonberry plushie showed up in Dan's video background (the way Phil used to always have Lion in the background) for a year or so when he first started; I don't remember the last time I saw it in the background of an apartment shot, but considering what sentimental hoarders they are, and how much he loved it, I'm sure it's in some safe and treasured place, haha.
Levitating wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 8:16 pm I have been watching a lot of 2009 content lately and it's funny/cute to see how in the past Dan has this sort of reverence towards Phil (giggles at his jokes and makes some "dumb" comments Phil corrects him about) while now Phil is the one who sounds naïve and "dumb" and Dan is the darkly sarcastic one who corrects him/is exasperated by him.
I remember having this convo with a friend recently, and Dan snarking back at Phil actually starts pretty early in their relationship on video, as in, Pinof 1: "That's so interesting, Phil. I bet everyone is so glad they can see the diagram." https://youtu.be/M6VevN2mn5s?t=96. Not a lot of hero worship going on in that moment, lolol! That said, they definitely seem to play up those sides of their personas on camera more as the years go on. Wish we could see more off-camera examples of what their real convos are like, but I guess that would defeat the purpose of having an onscreen persona! :lol:

But as a counterexample of the opposite dynamic, I love Phil's pedantic school-teachery "you're saying it wrong" tone from the gaming bloopers (and Dan's "COPACABANA. WOT?" is one of my favorite earworms of his of all time): https://youtu.be/17RMPZEShbg?t=124
BrothAndBrine
delia smith

onceinaugust wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 10:52 pm or replied to 20 people in the comments on each video?
I seriously doubt it. I maybe saw it once. If he is, it's not showing up for me or he does it so spread out, I don't see it and it doesn't all appear in a lump.

To make it even less fair, he also replies to/favorites people that are only paying via ad watching/whatever. I mean, there is a possibility there is a glitch and they are paying subscribers, but I doubt it...I guess on the plus side it does show he doesn't favor paying people over non-paying ones, but strictly on the financial side, mehhhh. For people that have money to throw to YT subscriptions, I'd venture it doesn't matter so much because the money is going toward their future hopefully forever home (I don't know any people that stay in one house for 60 years, but I don't live in the UK) & all that goes with it and that's good enough.
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

BrothAndBrine wrote: Sat Jan 09, 2021 12:37 am
onceinaugust wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 10:52 pm or replied to 20 people in the comments on each video?
I seriously doubt it. I maybe saw it once. If he is, it's not showing up for me or he does it so spread out, I don't see it and it doesn't all appear in a lump.

To make it even less fair, he also replies to/favorites people that are only paying via ad watching/whatever. I mean, there is a possibility there is a glitch and they are paying subscribers, but I doubt it...I guess on the plus side it does show he doesn't favor paying people over non-paying ones, but strictly on the financial side, mehhhh. For people that have money to throw to YT subscriptions, I'd venture it doesn't matter so much because the money is going toward their future hopefully forever home (I don't know any people that stay in one house for 60 years, but I don't live in the UK) & all that goes with it and that's good enough.
I always thought 'forever home' was a cute exaggerated phrase, but I actually think given that they've spent three years designing it that it might have some serious permanence in their mind.
inanerat
eclipse shirt
Pronouns: he/she/they

'Something we want to tell you' has hit 2mil views, most recent of Phil's vids since COTY to do so. People were really missing that joint content.
:transheart: :transheart: :transheart:
kavat
pastel persona

Someone is enjoying his january break Tyler, as always, is all of us
imaginarymind
dank meme

my god it's been long since I've been on here.... I've been watching dnp since mid 2013 and they were my "main interest" till like 2019.
It's not really that I stopped caring about them cause I got bored; I rather just reached something closer to stability regarding my mental health and didn't need them that much anymore. Also I gotta admit- I've always been watching for the joint content, so 2 years without it isn't really the time I'd be the most active...
Them returning with a lovely, funny, real, and Happy!!! video like this though----- GOODNESS it made me happy!! It made me remember just how much I care for them, and how much happiness and familiarity they've brought me over the years.
Like... I'm definitely not as much up their arses anymore as I used to be, but my god can they still make me warm and fuzzy inside with happiness!!

I can't wait to see all the stuff that Dan's been working on, and hearing their adventures with their new home! The future is bright! <3
Levitating
#relatable

Do you guys remember in which video they talked about the dead body in a house they had looked at?
TuxedoSam
*editing tips*

Levitating wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 2:31 pm Do you guys remember in which video they talked about the dead body in a house they had looked at?
Wasnt it in that phil video ? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AMGMwTL_y1M (7:51)

i thought it was there but the person asking said they talked about it in the "creepy test" video ? idk i'm assuming it's this one then since that's the first one that comes up when i search that https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WsF44SR7r7w
but i'm too lazy to watch it whole to see where it was but i'll edit when i do probably
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

TuxedoSam wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 3:07 pm
Levitating wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 2:31 pm Do you guys remember in which video they talked about the dead body in a house they had looked at?
Wasnt it in that phil video ? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AMGMwTL_y1M (7:51)

i thought it was there but the person asking said they talked about it in the "creepy test" video ? idk i'm assuming it's this one then since that's the first one that comes up when i search that https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WsF44SR7r7w
but i'm too lazy to watch it whole to see where it was but i'll edit when i do probably
If you're trying to find something specific and you already know the video, you can consult our Timestamps section! Even if you don't know the video you can search specifically in that subforum and it'll bring up results. (It saves my life on a weekly basis, ngl.)
kavat
pastel persona

Tyler is just having fun today
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

Tyler... bud. Buddy.

In other news, ig stories! Phil didn't forget his puzzle after all.
shan
morning quiff

I genuinely can't tell if he's trolling with those videos or just world-record breaking levels of outstandingly terrible with hand eye coordination. Watching him miss over and over again gave me so much anxious energy, 0/10 don't want to see again.
madzilla84
eclipse shirt

Oh yeah, definitely a bit of trolling there (though he was using his left hand). It reminded me a lot of when he ‘struggled’ for ages with putting the cap back on the sharpie because he thought it would annoy Dan :lol:
blackbirddan.tumblr.com
inanerat
eclipse shirt
Pronouns: he/she/they

madzilla84 wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 1:43 am Oh yeah, definitely a bit of trolling there (though he was using his left hand). It reminded me a lot of when he ‘struggled’ for ages with putting the cap back on the sharpie because he thought it would annoy Dan :lol:
Idk about the first time, but this was definitely trolling after people were so upset by it the first time lol

Phil can seem so chill and wholesome sometimes but he loves to be snarky and annoying on purpose sometimes. I love it.
:transheart: :transheart: :transheart:
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

inanerat wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 2:18 am
madzilla84 wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 1:43 am Oh yeah, definitely a bit of trolling there (though he was using his left hand). It reminded me a lot of when he ‘struggled’ for ages with putting the cap back on the sharpie because he thought it would annoy Dan :lol:
Idk about the first time, but this was definitely trolling after people were so upset by it the first time lol

Phil can seem so chill and wholesome sometimes but he loves to be snarky and annoying on purpose sometimes. I love it.
I think the first time was legitimate - that's the same shaking/fumbling we've seen from him plenty times. Today was definitely for effect though.
pearshaped34
morning quiff

Levitating wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 8:16 pm I have been watching a lot of 2009 content lately and it's funny/cute to see how in the past Dan has this sort of reverence towards Phil (giggles at his jokes and makes some "dumb" comments Phil corrects him about) while now Phil is the one who sounds naïve and "dumb" and Dan is the darkly sarcastic one who corrects him/is exasperated by him.
I remember when I was in a relationship and he was older than me I started feeling frustrated at his tendency to treat me like a child. For them, it seems like that balance works.
I would say Phil saying dumb or naive stuff and Dan correcting/being exasperated with him has been a dynamic in their relationship since the start.
shan
morning quiff

alittledizzy wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 2:34 am
inanerat wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 2:18 am

I think the first time was legitimate - that's the same shaking/fumbling we've seen from him plenty times. Today was definitely for effect though.
I don't know what it is about it that makes me so uneasy! It's such a strange thing to have such a visceral reaction to. I love Phil to pieces but if he starts making unsatisfying compilation-worthy content his new schtick, I might have to reassess. Jk Phil simp for life but Phil, please, I'm begging you, no.

:snow: <- this emote is the perfect representation of me watching those insta stories.
starsandshards
living flop

i live for snarky phil, fucking hell :rofl:

i'm fucking crying at those instas. LOOOOOOOOOL