Dan & Phil Part 99: OnlyPhans

Our two favourite full time internet nerds who never go outside!
fruitcriminals
rainbow nerd

Pulling away from the serious conversation.

Anyone else wetting themselves laughing at the tops only bar?
fioebae
drama llama
Pronouns: she/her

fruitcriminals wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 9:33 pm Pulling away from the serious conversation.

Anyone else wetting themselves laughing at the tops only bar?
Absolutely DYING ahahahaha :rofl: The most chaotic one yet
plinthofmylife
janice from the shop

Literally cannot handle how much joy these stereos are giving me. I was smiling at work almost the whole time.

And I know dan said he didn't want to see art...or keep talking about it...but then he kept talking about it and kinda implied he wanted to see the fanart. SO.
onemoresock
drama llama
Pronouns: she/they/he

the tops only bar is going to go down in history, i’m honestly losing my mind over it. oh i so dearly love phil.
*blows kiss* for dop and pop
fruitcriminals
rainbow nerd

The fact Phil went there with saying Dan would work there is iconic. From q n a helper, video editor, cleaner and cameraman to part time wait staff in some inappropriately short shorts lmao
Secretstanner
truth bomb

This weeks stereos have brought me so much joy. It’s been my favourite week so far. I can get a bit stressed and anxious with what they will say (mostly dan) but both were so fun and I just got good vibes! Dan really seemed happy and like he was having so much fun. I can’t explain it but yeah. Phil! I love you so much and I love listening to these stupid game nights. I don’t want them to end because I love them calling each other out any chance they get.

Tops only!!! Best moment
glitterintheair
phillluminati

The Phil’s Tops Only bar moment had me in tears, literally. I can’t remember the last time I’ve laughed so hard at something, god bless Phil.

Also lol at Dan quoting PINOF 3 like it wasn’t a big deal. Has he rewatched it recently or is he just Phan Trash #1?
I'm a winter flower underground, always thirsty for summer rain.
Megancita75
ar·tic·u·late

I was laughing out loud listening to this in my doctor’s waiting room. This one seemed chiller than the previous ones which I enjoyed. And some of the voice messages were really good this time.
starsandshards
living flop

oh my god, the chaos gives me palpitations but they are so damn funny. i loved the messages for this one, the cheesecake message was so spot on and that one message addressing dan as bitch and saying he'd have an onlyfans I FUCKING DIED.

i don't want these to end, gosh.
plinthofmylife
janice from the shop

There's just so many insights into their private dynamic. Like. What they talk about. What annoys them about one another. I love it.
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

This show was... such an adventure.

I also think Dan is relaxing well into this. I mean, he's Dan, so his energy level will be high even as I say 'relaxing into' but he doesn't seem quite as inclined to cling to old phrases and ways to handle flirty/sexual/awkward moments.
soveinco
drama llama

glitterintheair wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 10:04 pm Also lol at Dan quoting PINOF 3 like it wasn’t a big deal. Has he rewatched it recently or is he just Phan Trash #1?
THIS!!!! Like, I was shocked and delighted enough when they referenced it at all, because that's vintage as hell, but then Phil being vaguely like "What's that from?" as I was like, "Omg, a PINOF 3 quote???" and Dan also instantly knowing it and QUIZZING Phil. Like, Dan as fandom-member representation, I cannot. He is our king, truly.

And then him being like ". . . I think" after having listed which PINOF, what he was doing, and what he was wearing. YOU THINK, DO YA?!

Also, Dan truly is a theater kid, being as he has the classic actor's nightmare of going onstage and not knowing your lines. Relatable. <3
BlueSnoko
sofa crease

Levitating wrote: Wed Mar 17, 2021 9:39 pm I understand you all are trying to fight toxic masculinity, but... I wonder if we can actually relate these statements/stories in the video to Phil's supposed adherence to socially 'forced' stereotypes?

Anything in our tastes comes from social constructions, literally anything - unless you count biology.

Which means that yeah, we can question our tastes, but there's no need to "force" anything else, if a first question doesn't spark further interest - and as long as we learn to respect others' "unsocial" tastes.

And for him that question has not sparked anything, so maybe that's all that you could say on the matter?

Mostly because we know about his mom's anecdote because he chose to publish it; we have seen him wearing a girly cat-maid costume because he has chosen to. So he's not disgusted by such "slips", he is respectful, has tried, and simply does not like them and there's no need for him to further question it since he's happy for others to try.

Dan would need to study sociology to speak properly, but I for now truly appreciate how much he already knows but mostly how much he wants to know. I've always felt he was scared to express opinions (as said in BIG) because he knows he is not fully educated on a topic and thus people will risk misinterpret his intentions.
My thoughts on this forum are in no way some conscious effort to fix society. I'm simply reacting to things from my point of view. I don't have a desire or emotional investment for either Dan or Phil to act in any specific way (apart from basic decency). I wrote what I wrote because in consuming a decade of Phil content I found him to be a person with a lot of natural femininity and was surprised that he didn't see what I saw. It's not what they do decide that interests me - it's how they navigate to that place.

I find it interesting that you assert that all of our tastes are recieved from society yet mock the idea that things like gender norms are forced on us. If society teaches us what we should think without our awareness how is that not not chosen? Questing what we are taught does not confuse or harm people - it enlightens them. Even if you feel a certain way about something it's still worth questioning it. Having a definitive opinion about something does not mean you are right or it's necessarily the best way for you to feel. ​If society were never questioned we would never have addressed (begun to address) gender inequality, worker's rights, children's welfare, homophobia, racism... the list goes on. No-one forced Dan or Phil to discuss what they did on Tuesday. They are grown men who can handle exploring gender and societal constructs. I will just end by saying if this discussion topic makes you uncomfortable, perhaps it is a sign you should examine your own ingrained beliefs.

Peace,
Snoko
The mauve ones are boys and the white ones are girls, and the blue ones are just little sillies who are not sure what they are. - J. M. Barrie
fruitcriminals
rainbow nerd

soveinco wrote: Fri Mar 19, 2021 2:00 am
glitterintheair wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 10:04 pm Also lol at Dan quoting PINOF 3 like it wasn’t a big deal. Has he rewatched it recently or is he just Phan Trash #1?
THIS!!!! Like, I was shocked and delighted enough when they referenced it at all, because that's vintage as hell, but then Phil being vaguely like "What's that from?" as I was like, "Omg, a PINOF 3 quote???" and Dan also instantly knowing it and QUIZZING Phil. Like, Dan as fandom-member representation, I cannot. He is our king, truly.

And then him being like ". . . I think" after having listed which PINOF, what he was doing, and what he was wearing. YOU THINK, DO YA?!

Also, Dan truly is a theater kid, being as he has the classic actor's nightmare of going onstage and not knowing your lines. Relatable. <3
Lmao right. When he was like 'don't you remember' and Phil was just like....No?? That fully sent me.
glitterintheair
phillluminati

alittledizzy wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 10:59 pm I also think Dan is relaxing well into this. I mean, he's Dan, so his energy level will be high even as I say 'relaxing into' but he doesn't seem quite as inclined to cling to old phrases and ways to handle flirty/sexual/awkward moments.
I agree with this and I think Dan relaxes more when Phil is leading the show. This is something that used to happen with classic liveshows too; Dan’s solo youknows were always charged with anxiety and high level energy that would leave me exhausted by the end of it.
I’ve always been vocal about I’d love for them to just not have a structure in their shows and talk about whatever they want but maybe they work better when they do have a structure to follow that can allow them to go off the rails every now and then but without losing focus (and that’s because Phil wouldn’t allow it).
I'm a winter flower underground, always thirsty for summer rain.
kavat
pastel persona

The show last night was so fun. Stereo brings out so much weirdness in them, I can't believe it. I hope the artists takes Dan's comment about Tops only-art as a challenge :lol:

Sidestep, but this video sums up so much of the discussions we've had here over the past two years re: Dan's hiatus (he's also mentioned briefly in the beginning). I think Tiffany makes a lot of valid and interesting points about external pressure, self imposed quality thresholds and what goes on behind the scenes when a youtuber stops uploading.

alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

I'm catching up on timestamps for this past week's shows and I feel like this one exchange is what Dan intended the thesis of his femboy topic to really be, and it's actually Phil that really makes it first.

Phil: That's the thing with me. I don't know if I've been brought up by the social norms and that's why my brain thinks that I want to wear these clothes - like standard jeans and t-shirts - and no makeup. Obviously, part of it is a fear of looking different and standing out. But I've never felt drawn to like, skirts or tights or anything like that. Because you do hear from some people that are like, I've been putting on girls' clothes since I was four and I just really like dressing up like - they say it quite a lot in Drag Race. They're like, and then I became a drag queen! But for me I've just always felt drawn to the boyish looking clothes.

Dan: And that's the thing, Phil - here we are. We've been on our personal growth journeys since we were fetuses on youtube ten years ago. Everyone knows we're gay. And yet - are we still brainwashed on some level? I think the answer to everybody in society is yes. We're all constantly brainwashed and held down by the horrible judgement of others and our conditioning. But, like, bro. What's up with that? Phil in high heels. What do you think?"
Levitating
#relatable

BlueSnoko wrote: Fri Mar 19, 2021 6:34 am
I find it interesting that you assert that all of our tastes are recieved from society yet mock the idea that things like gender norms are forced on us.

Hi! <3

I never mocked - sorry if you've got that impression.
I put forced between quotes because I meant to say "Anything in our tastes comes from social constructions, literally anything - unless you count biology.* So are we disputing that Phil's taste towards male clothing is even more forced than all of the rest?" Because I got the impression that people were saying he was particularly pushing himself to keep those "manly" tastes because of society influences. While to me it seems that he has questioned the matter (even during the Stereo show) and he has found no further interest, which means that that's okay; that he has done the right thing of questioning it and if that hasn't awaken further interest in female clothing, that's it. It's okay to be a cisgender gay men who likes 'manly' clothes and not to try to "subvert" things by questioning it again and again. There's no need to push anything further - unless, and this is important, you take it personal when other people have tastes different than yours.

To ask him (not you personally) to questioning it again, to me, seems to force it as much as the original influence towards 'manly' clothes did at first.

There is no need, I think, to influence change in tastes (since they are all social constructs). The only important thing is respect others' not-usually-socially-accepted tastes, which he already does (and he even goes further by defending cismen who like to wear girly dresses in his Stereo talk). Let's question our own believes, but no need for existential crisis to arise. One is enough.

*This is what I said a line after!

Oh thank you once again IDB for the upload!! I loved this show and they do seem more comfortable now :rainbowtears: I loved the discussion and the PINOF quote
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

Levitating wrote: Fri Mar 19, 2021 3:01 pm I put forced between quotes because I meant to say "Anything in our tastes comes from social constructions, literally anything - unless you count biology.* So are we disputing that Phil's taste towards male clothing is even more forced than all of the rest?" Because I got the impression that people were saying he was particularly pushing himself to keep those "manly" tastes because of society influences. While to me it seems that he has questioned the matter (even during the Stereo show) and he has found no further interest, which means that that's okay; that he has done the right thing of questioning it and if that hasn't awaken further interest in female clothing, that's it. It's okay to be a cisgender gay men who likes 'manly' clothes and not to try to "subvert" things by questioning it again and again. There's no need to push anything further - unless, and this is important, you take it personal when other people have tastes different than yours.

To ask him (not you personally) to questioning it again, to me, seems to force it as much as the original influence towards 'manly' clothes did at first.

There is no need, I think, to influence change in tastes (since they are all social constructs). The only important thing is respect others' not-usually-socially-accepted tastes, which he already does (and he even goes further by defending cismen who like to wear girly dresses in his Stereo talk). Let's question our own believes, but no need for existential crisis to arise. One is enough.

*This is what I said a line after!
I think one of the important things to note here is that Dan and Phil didn't bring up that topic on Stereo because fans asked them to. Artists in fandom have been drawing their own interests and ideas using Dan and Phil as the basis for years and years, and the same happens with other people in other fandoms and has since fanart started being a thing. Most artists respect and rely on the fourth wall quite a lot, it's not being done to make any requests of Dan and Phil or if it is then it's a topic Dan and Phil have broached themselves first.

Dan and Phil choosing to discuss it on the show was their own choice, is what I'm saying. And the point both of them made repeatedly throughout it was that they are analyzing their own internal biases and will continue to do so, that it's not something they have to do once and then never think about again. Phil's hair really is the perfect example - he was fine with his fringe for years and years and years, moving to the quiff was a bit scary but something he did because he wanted to, and now he loves it. Their fashion choices may follow the same path, or it may not, but a decision they make today doesn't mean in a year or five or ten they can't look at it again. The audience really can't make Dan and Phil do anything they don't want to do, and Dan not uploading for two years proves that more than anything. :D

I also really, genuinely love the long detailed posts that come out of this. I'm living in particular for the ones that pull in comments from videos years ago, that kind of comparison really delights me, and IDB as a forum is the perfect place for them!
inanerat
eclipse shirt
Pronouns: he/she/they

I listened to the show last night and I'm relistening this morning.

I never want to hear the phrase "Phil Lester presents: frosting and anal!" ever again in my life.

Also I had a strange deppy dream last night where they made a video playing some sort of... reverse strip poker? Where they started out in boxers and socks and then slowly added on different props box-esque costume pieces until they looked completely ridiculous and couldn't wear any more. Dan was wearing some cheap zebra print vest and Phil had on some of those children's fairy wings.
I fully blame the stereo for creating this imagery in my head. Don't listen to stereo before bed, kids.

Also Dan talking about making coffee ice cubes and I found Phil's response really funny: "You are a genius, how did you- Why have you never made me an iced coffee with coffee ice cubes if this was in your brain!?"
Dan better be taking notes 'cause it seems like Phil will has raised his expectations lmao.
:transheart: :transheart: :transheart:
noodlebum
flower crown

Am I the only innocent one to think of people with no trousers on when Phil said a tops-only bar? :lol:
fruitcriminals
rainbow nerd

noodlebum wrote: Fri Mar 19, 2021 3:37 pm Am I the only innocent one to think of people with no trousers on when Phil said a tops-only bar? :lol:
I think it might just be you and Phil not going to the bad place mate lol!

I'm loving Phil's insta and tweet, he's just completely given up tagging Dan at all, between the 'us' on the insta and chatting about Dan on twitter like eh y'all know who dan is by now who needs to tag him
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

fruitcriminals wrote: Fri Mar 19, 2021 9:12 pm
noodlebum wrote: Fri Mar 19, 2021 3:37 pm Am I the only innocent one to think of people with no trousers on when Phil said a tops-only bar? :lol:
I think it might just be you and Phil not going to the bad place mate lol!

I'm loving Phil's insta and tweet, he's just completely given up tagging Dan at all, between the 'us' on the insta and chatting about Dan on twitter like eh y'all know who dan is by now who needs to tag him
Yes! I love that about them.

Here's the tweet for anyone that missed it:
I also love that Phil has changed his twitter layout to the glass door images, too.
fruitcriminals
rainbow nerd

alittledizzy wrote: Fri Mar 19, 2021 10:11 pm

I also love that Phil has changed his twitter layout to the glass door images, too.
I love that he's turned the pic around so he looks like a small child looking over a table edge.

The not tagging is comforting. Like... extreme old school back in the day when they would tweet or talk about each other in videos like it wasn't a big issue or a surprise to anyone they were together. Made me feel all warm and 2009 fuzzy.
inanerat
eclipse shirt
Pronouns: he/she/they

fruitcriminals wrote: Sat Mar 20, 2021 12:02 am
alittledizzy wrote: Fri Mar 19, 2021 10:11 pm

I love that he's turned the pic around so he looks like a small child looking over a table edge.

The not tagging is comforting. Like... extreme old school back in the day when they would tweet or talk about each other in videos like it wasn't a big issue or a surprise to anyone they were together. Made me feel all warm and 2009 fuzzy.
God yes the fuzzy and comforting feels. Idk why I just found myself thinking today about their future and careers and like... the potential for them to do big projects and career type things and things that will probably reach bigger/new audiences separately but still have very casual, smaller, less out there things like stereo where there's space for joint content and the classic bants. Like I guess until just the end of December I kind of felt like even if they did rare things together, that as they moved forward in their careers joint content just wouldn't be much of a thing which wasn't terrible or the end of the world, just sort of bittersweet, as growth and change often is. But the past few months feel like they may have opened up a way for solo projects and joint content to coexist in the future together. Makes me happy.

Also my mind at that tweet was immediately like 'well if ur gonna cuddle while watching a movie, just don't lean away when you eat your popcorn if you would normally and bam: authentic ear crunching experience in the comfort of your own home'. Sign me up tbh.

Side note Phil's stories (and the glass reflection pictures tbf) continuing to learn new things about the filming flat in his boredom while being cooped up there have me roLLING. :rofl:
:transheart: :transheart: :transheart: