Dan & Phil Part 99: OnlyPhans

Our two favourite full time internet nerds who never go outside!
Templeofshame
rainbow nerd
Pronouns: she/her

Is anyone here up on the publishing things of what "written in conjunction with" generally means and how credit usually works? I would expect that just from a legitimacy/credibility perspective you'd want to put the name of the person with the degree and experience on the cover even if not as a co-writer, but I don't know how celeb books work. (It seems like since ghostwriting is normal, maybe crediting other people is looked down on even when their expertise is important to establish?)
plinthofmylife
janice from the shop

I hate the cover, if that's the final cover, but I 🤷🏻‍♀️ a cover does not a book make. And I know how little influence authors get over their covers.
Phantasy
woodland creature

plinthofmylife wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 4:13 pm I hate the cover, if that's the final cover, but I 🤷🏻‍♀️ a cover does not a book make. And I know how little influence authors get over their covers.
Except according to him he’s back and forth with the publisher 12x a day adjusting every minuscule thing to do with the cover to meet his exacting grand vision. That said, I could see a scenario where a publisher would push to have his face on the cover for the recognition factor.

Regardless of how well written and all the good intents behind it, there’s going to be LOTS of OpiNiOns... mental health is a serious foray into a subject matter deeply personal to many people—if it was mainly billed as being autobiographical, then it probably wouldn’t be open to as much scrutiny, but as it’s being portrayed as “a mental health guide”, that’s going to trigger debate... the fanbase will coddle him regardless and I’m sure sales will reflect that, but I hope his publisher at least is preparing him for a cold dose of reality for any flack.
glitterintheair
phillluminati

I mean, yeah, mental health is a serious topic and I hope Dan is prepared to handle the possible criticism he might get just like any other author in the world.
This is not TABINOF, this is something he's promoting as a pratical guide for your mental well-being. I've already seen a few tweets about how, once the book is out, we should say nothing if we don't like it or say that it's good even if we think otherwise only because Dan worked hard on it and criticism might upset him and I'm sorry but.. I don't really agree with that mindset because I don't see how lying to make someone feel good is better and I don't think Dan would appreciate it either.
This is only hypothetical, of course, because it might turn out to be the greatest self-help book of all time for all I know and all this talk about criticism will end up being pointless. We'll see.
I'm a winter flower underground, always thirsty for summer rain.
fioebae
drama llama

alittledizzy wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 3:51 pm thisnightbook.com is down - wonder what it's gonna look like when it comes back up?
Up again now, with updated header showing both designs. US & Canada are with his face, the rest with the graphic cover.

The video he just tweeted seems to reiterated that it gets "deep and dark and personal" making me think it'll be stories about something that happened in his life memoir style with a more retospectic element about how you can learn form it?? As a guess. Regardless I'm excited!
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

And some answers to questions:
rizzo
unduly facetious
unduly facetious

alittledizzy wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 5:19 pm
Have we, the dwellers of the US, not suffered through enough?

JK. It's fine. Everything's fine.
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

The only "published" fanfic that no one harasses the author over.
Also, a review!
ukhon
phillion/danosaur <//3

Tbh I don't mind the cover; I actually think it makes it seem more personal and increases the recognisability of the book, as others have said (i.e. if you once watched a few danisnotonfire videos some years ago you probably wouldn't be phased by the book cover with the stripes if you saw it in the store whereas having his face on it creates intrigue).

I think what is more... questionable is the NYT bestseller line being on the front cover. Like, sure, technically, maybe it could count for TABINOF but it seems a bit like false advertising when his other works were a joint collaboration and essentially a picture book. As others have said maybe Dan didn't have much control over what went on the cover. Who knows.

I haven't pre-ordered it yet, but I probably will soon; I think what with it being a mental health GUIDE it is going to invite discourse and criticism whatever happens, so instead of sitting here and picking out every single one of my gripes, I'll read it and during that initial week, form an opinion, and, as others have said (I realise I am echoing what the majority are saying on this forum lol), sit the fandom out for a bit.
liola
rankussy

I find both covers ugly, the text one even more so, but then again i especially dislike yellow, even more so when paired with black. The yellow stripes look very harsh, i get that it's a very vibrant color that attracts the eyes but it's also a very "alarming" color imo

I wish theyd just gone with one cover with his face on it since that will attract more customers and makes it a more personal feeling, it would drive more people to check it out even if they don't recognize the name. I don't get why the distinction with JUST the US and Canada. Idk.

As I'm not buying it i guess i shouldn't care about the cover, but i was really hoping that one was temporary
Will probably never be over the BONCAS and the beauty of Phil Lester.

Official Moving Hill Mayor
fruitcriminals
rainbow nerd

glitterintheair wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 5:06 pm I mean, yeah, mental health is a serious topic and I hope Dan is prepared to handle the possible criticism he might get just like any other author in the world.
This is not TABINOF, this is something he's promoting as a pratical guide for your mental well-being. I've already seen a few tweets about how, once the book is out, we should say nothing if we don't like it or say that it's good even if we think otherwise only because Dan worked hard on it and criticism might upset him and I'm sorry but.. I don't really agree with that mindset because I don't see how lying to make someone feel good is better and I don't think Dan would appreciate it either.
This is only hypothetical, of course, because it might turn out to be the greatest self-help book of all time for all I know and all this talk about criticism will end up being pointless. We'll see.
I agree, people should review the book content as they see fit, like anyone would any other book. I would hope that people are fair, and I too also hope it's a good book, it's going to be way too stressful if it isn't.

I'm going to listen to the audiobook so I get the best of both worlds, all of the content, none of the effort and I get to be the creepy perv that I am and enjoy Dan's voice in my ear :D
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

glitterintheair wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 5:06 pm I mean, yeah, mental health is a serious topic and I hope Dan is prepared to handle the possible criticism he might get just like any other author in the world.
I think it's possible to want to see honest reviews (which I do) and also want your specific circle in fandom (where we all gather because we know we like Dan and Phil) to be compassionate toward Dan. When I look at what people in fandom places are saying, I'm not looking for an unbiased outsider review, I'm looking to see what other people who also know Dan's history and have insight into who he is as a person outside of the covers of the book.

Of course, when I say that I don't mean official 'book reviews' like on Amazon or whatever. But in both cases I guess for me the posts I'm most looking forward to seeing are the ones that aren't firmly worshipping or firmly critical but really apply a nuanced look at the book and are willing to be honest about both the pros and the cons of it.
Catallena
classy cat lady
classy cat lady

Can I just say that I'm floored by this? Now granted, idk what 'almost' means in Dan and Phil's world. But it's weird how I remember so many rumors about DnP (or even just one of them lmao as if) moving to America in the 2013-2014 era. Obviously it's not like those rumors were based on anything real (I think) but it's so weird to know now that that was almost reality.

I'm excited to hear about other abandoned projects. And ready to be heartbroken over the things that never were :(
Twitter *•.(★).•* Tumblr
soveinco
drama llama

liola wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 6:06 pm I don't get why the distinction with JUST the US and Canada. Idk.
Two different imprints for US vs. UK (and I guess the US edition has the Canadian rights as well, so that's why they're lumped together), so two different teams of people working on the book. The imprint I work for (different company than this one, but similar in that we are part of a bigger international parent company consisting of lots of imprints around the world) often publishes the US editions of UK or Australian books, sometimes at the same time like this one and we make our own changes to the covers, etc., for our editions, sometimes even to the title.

Whether or not Dan has right of approval over the cover (I have a hard time imagining he wouldn't fight tooth and nail for that in his contract, but most people don't get that; they can still make requests and stuff, though, of course, and the imprint can decide whether or not to make them), the publisher and the sales team, and even bookstores like Barnes and Noble, also get a say in the design, based on what they think will sell in their markets, so I'd wager that the US team (or the salespeople or someone) thought that it would work better with his face in the US.

Unless Dan says otherwise in the stereo in two hours, of course. :) Maybe he wanted his face on both editions and the UK was like, nah, mate, we love these stripes. Hope he tells us!
plinthofmylife
janice from the shop

OMG as a creator and business owner that loves career talk and has many stalled/failed projects this stereo was created for me
Phanshy
cheeky #spon

I'm excited for this but I'm still not over the house renovation series, the travel series or the rescue dog series not happening.
Amiaw
interactive introvert

I don’t care about anything else I just want to know what Glitch was about
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

Ooooh show info updated - they're Packing Pals today and they have shows scheduled now through April 15!!
anna_begins
pumpkin spice pumpkin cookie

I just realized that Dan and John Green are both releasing nonficton books on the same day. Not that it matters, especially because the topics are so different, but it will be interesting to see where each one debuts on the best seller list.
Catallena
classy cat lady
classy cat lady

Juicy huh? I'm scared.
Twitter *•.(★).•* Tumblr
fioebae
drama llama

anna_begins wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 8:24 pm I just realized that Dan and John Green are both releasing nonficton books on the same day. Not that it matters, especially because the topics are so different, but it will be interesting to see where each one debuts on the best seller list.
Books are always released on Tuesdays (John actually asked not to just because he finds it interesting but as been refused each time lol) so there are only a certain number of dates available so competition is bound to happen! Here is a link explaining some of the reasons why if you’re in any way interested, but tdlr best seller lists start counting from tuesdays, post doesn't ship on Sundays so Monday for a Tuesday release makes sense, and they have more chance of getting the press ball rolling before the week runs out.

I'm excited for both books! Now it'll be a race of the delivery men to get them to me as I have both pre-ordered and haven't decided which to read first! Fight!!

:thisnight:
dontpanic
#relatable

Phil liked dan's book tweet... i find that so so so sweet no matter how often he does mundane stuff like that

I can't imagine them in NY for some reason, and tbh I'm kinda glad they didn't go, mostly because I doubt martyn and cornelia would've ever joined them and that's just a sad thought. although maybe when we learn what kind of tv show it'd be my opinion will change

re: thoughts on the #1 best seller line I saw raised here and on twitter--I mean, collaborative works are regularly included on NYT best seller lists, all parties involved still get to claim that achievement... and I can't imagine any author not including it on the cover (or at minimum their bio on the sleeve if they're already wellknown). Ghost written books appear on the list quite often (especially business and politician autobiographies) and they still call themselves that even when having way less claim to the title than DnP imo. works with illustrations or ones with niche audiences make the list all the time, plus not every nyt best seller has to be reaching for a pulitzer.
fruitcriminals
rainbow nerd

Well now I just want a Mollie and Phil radio show
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

This show is just SO SATISFYING to listen to.
fioebae
drama llama

Dan being on Strictly, Big Brother or I'm A Celeb is the timeline I want to live in. Imagine how many hilarious gifs and reaction images it would have generated :rofl: