Dan & Phil Part 99: OnlyPhans

Our two favourite full time internet nerds who never go outside!
liola
rankussy
Pronouns: she/her

I need Dan to SHUT UP when phil is trying to tell something because it borders from endearing to annoying
Will probably never be over the BONCAS and the beauty of Phil Lester.

Official Moving Hill Mayor
plinthofmylife
janice from the shop

I love that Phil was hyping Dan's book up! "You got a starred review!"
fruitcriminals
rainbow nerd

Dan seriously can't complain about any innuendo Phil ever makes after 'I wanted to fuck a puppet'
BlueSnoko
sofa crease

Dan today is chaoticly honest and feeding the trolls. "my gateway to being a lesbian" I'm tempted to say he's been spending too much time on tumblr.
The mauve ones are boys and the white ones are girls, and the blue ones are just little sillies who are not sure what they are. - J. M. Barrie
fruitcriminals
rainbow nerd

I love that you can hear the PINOF 10 start at 43.33

Not that I'm saying anyone was cheating. At all. Who would do that.
plinthofmylife
janice from the shop

not at all timestamps but random notes:
  • dan opens with a very energetic white boy beat box because "he's had his sugar"
  • three different people suggested "packing pals"
  • dan says in the UK everyone is "all bitter and miserable" which is why his face isn't on the book
  • Phil LOVES BOTH THE COVER and they "both have good vibes"
  • Phil thought that people were going to make the Pam "it's the same picture" meme when Dan did a cover reveal with the barely changed cover
  • Phil said that DAPGO was a literary masterpiece
  • LIVING for phil talking about how great it is that dan's book got a starred review
  • Dan referencing DAPGO as a "dan and phil's bunkbeds" - this FUCKER knows about bunk bed discourse so much
  • Dan doesn't want to narrate his own life because he's talking about some "intimate stuff" and is concerned about having to read it outloud while a man looks at him through a piece of glass
  • Dan says "let the leaks commence"
  • Dan and phil almost moved to NYC for a thing and got to the looking at apartments stage
  • Dan that sentimental fucker said "everytime you make a new video you are deleting our past" about deleting old pictures :rainbowtears:
  • DAN LITERALLY TALKING ABOUT THE AU of his life if they had moved to NYC
  • Phil taking over even though it's dan's day and making "suggest a topic"
  • Apparently they were going to have a NY TV + online show where they interview different celebrities...sounds very vague
  • Dan laughing at Phil trying to "cover his tracks"
  • They had gotten
  • Dan goes on a random discussion about frogs being gay related to life paths that makes sense to Phil because they share one brain cell...
  • Dan wants the vaccine because he wants to do " a couple mysterious post-covid projects" and he's "being selective" and doing stuff he's passionate about
  • "when we were younger" - kill me - dan talking about they used to say yes to everything
  • People might be shocked by some of the things we turned down" - SPILL THE TEA DAN, you said yes to that bizarre youtube "we went on an online date with girls" series
  • Phil filmed two pilots for a breakfast show over two months with "celebrity" and he didn't like the "vibe of the show" - and I just... this one just punched me in the heart
    Phil: "I wasn't gelling as much with the people after a couple months"
    Dan: "Because it wasn't me?" (kinda joking)
    Phil: "It would've been better if it was you" (dead serious)
  • Dan describing Phil in 2009 as a "normie" :o kinda love it
  • THE TRAVEL SHOW MIGHT STILL HAPPEN
glitterintheair
phillluminati

Phil: "I wasn't gelling as much with the people after a couple months"
Me: “because it wasn’t Dan”
Dan: "Because it wasn't me?"
Me: “wait...”
I'm a winter flower underground, always thirsty for summer rain.
Megancita75
ar·tic·u·late

I am dying to know what possible twist they could have had on a travel show. Dan and Phil go to a place and ... what? Make the locals play games?
missemma
#teamshavedsides
#teamshavedsides

fioebae wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 9:28 pm Dan being on Strictly, Big Brother or I'm A Celeb is the timeline I want to live in. Imagine how many hilarious gifs and reaction images it would have generated :rofl:
I would pay good money to see Dan on Big Brother!! I would really love to see the real candid version of him!
:prideheart: :gayaf: :prideheart:
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

BlueSnoko
sofa crease

missemma wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 10:49 pm
fioebae wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 9:28 pm Dan being on Strictly, Big Brother or I'm A Celeb is the timeline I want to live in. Imagine how many hilarious gifs and reaction images it would have generated :rofl:
I would pay good money to see Dan on Big Brother!! I would really love to see the real candid version of him!
Yes, but I feel like people are imagining Dan on Big Br or whatever as his current confident out and audacious self, when I think the reality would have been more like Karamo Brown's time on The Real World - Closeted and overcompensating. The world didn't get candid from Dan till he overcome some quite scary demons.

(In light of this comparison I find it i interesting that both men, having addressed internalized oppression*, came out the other side wishing to move forward using their public platforms to address mental health issues. I'm always moved when people respond to personal suffering with compassion for others. )

*perhaps not yet fully overcome; its def a process*
The mauve ones are boys and the white ones are girls, and the blue ones are just little sillies who are not sure what they are. - J. M. Barrie
brq
phillion/danosaur <//3

The fact that Dan was asked to go the celebrity version of Big Brother while Phil was asked to go on the normal civilian one is a bit eeeek
:prideheart2:
inanerat
eclipse shirt
Pronouns: he/she/they

I really enjoyed this show!

It's times like this that really drive home for me how they are creative and business as well as life partners. That even when not working on a joint project they can talk over ideas with each other, as much as they don't talk about it or mention it, they know their strengths and have a very good idea and feel for what people will enjoy and be interested in.

And yeah... Dan on Big Brother then, I don't think it would've been great, just makes me think of Phil's story from auditioning and accidentally saying 'yes' he was gay and how that scared him so badly. But Dan now on something like that?? I could see it. He has less to hide, is a lot more confident and I think could enjoy approaching it from a curiosity perspective. His mentioning it did make me think of Mitch from ASAP Science, who was on Big Brother Canada a few years back, I wonder if they ever chatted about his experience. (Also this vlog of theirs:https://youtu.be/3fjF30heARw has A. some very sweet anxious and excited missing your partner vibes that I feel like would be stroNG deppy energy and also B. some interesting ending thoughts from Mitch on the experience) Also, while I kind of hated the idea at first and it could definitely be done badly, the idea of a Big Brother-esque thing with a bunch of youtubers in a house /could/ be really funny. And also interesting I think if they managed to get a cast of people from different places, and people who are more 'og' youtube people and people that have become more popular on the platform recently. idk.

I'm annoyed but not surprised to hear about the difference in book cover tbh :/ I can see that marketing people would push having Dan's face on it, especially given that so much of his fame comes from being on camera, but I personally just,, don't really like things with faces on. Maybe if I like the book enough I will buy another copy of the UK/international version when I move to germany lmao.

anyway I am just loving these stereos a lot. this new era feels good.
:transheart: :transheart: :transheart:
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

inanerat wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 1:09 amthis new era feels good.
It really does, doesn't it?

This show was so good. I think my favorite yet, though I've said that multiple times in the past month.

What really stood out to me at first listen (I'm saving second listen for tomorrow morning when my brain is sharper) is how Dan really made a point to underline that right now they're in a position where they are doing the projects and sponsorships that they want. I think this is also proving that when they said joint content wasn't dead they really did mean it, they just needed time. The fact that they so casually said that they might still do a travel show... I think just feel really comforted by the fact that their future involves solo stuff but they're also open to projects together, too.

Also Dan's honesty with pointing out that Phil's show with the celebrity didn't work because it wasn't Dan with him... so true and just :rainbowtears:
soveinco
drama llama

In terms of the crush talk, Dan's list of qualities that drew him to the Aladdin character at the Tokyo DisneySea ride got me SUPER emotional:
Dan: He just seemed so joyful and happy and charismatic and he fought for what was right
Plus his list of Disney Aladdin qualities:
Dan: You get the feeling that if you went on a lowkey romantic picnic, that they would be able to fill the air, they'd make you feel comfortable, they'd be smiling
Just . . . makes me think of tiny, lonely, hungry-to-love-and-be-loved 2009 Dan watching Phil's solo videos and seeing Phil be happy and enthusiastic and unapologetically weird, and charismatic and kind, and wanting that in his life. 🥺
inanerat
eclipse shirt
Pronouns: he/she/they

Just relistening and fully processing the scope of this situation-

D&P: *Go on a very nice vacation to Japan around their 10th anniversary just the two of them, go on a chill boat ride at a theme park*
Dan, after said boat ride: Lowkey I might have fallen in love with the puppet Aladdin

:rofl:
:transheart: :transheart: :transheart:
soveinco
drama llama

brq wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 12:38 am The fact that Dan was asked to go the celebrity version of Big Brother while Phil was asked to go on the normal civilian one is a bit eeeek
not at the same time, though! (sorry if you already knew, but just to clarify for anyone else as well, since I don’t think they mentioned time specifics in the chat, and it did kind of sound otherwise from the way they said it). phil auditioned for the regular one in early 2009, so he was still in uni and definitely wasn’t a celebrity at that point. (from this video though as he’s told us more recently, he actually dropped out bc he said he was gay and then got nervous; he has a later 2009 video where he actually admits he got further along than he says here as well). Whereas I don’t think Dan mentioned a specific year for them asking him to be on the celebrity one, but it would have presumably been much later, like radio era or later.
Phantasy
woodland creature

dontpanic wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 9:09 pm Phil liked dan's book tweet... i find that so so so sweet no matter how often he does mundane stuff like that
plinthofmylife wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 9:37 pm I love that Phil was hyping Dan's book up! "You got a starred review!"
They really are each other’s #1 fan... to come off that endearing towards a long term partner like that is so wholesome and refreshing. There hardly ever seems to be any cynicism between them at all—I wonder what that looks like to their close friends, I mean are they just obnoxiously infatuated with each other after all these years like a perpetual state of new relationship or newly wed type bliss? (Making everyone else feel like a crap couple in comparison)

Kind of what I’m getting at too is are they in a bit of an echo chamber with each other constantly reverberating positive reinforcement that might stifle growth or creativity? For example, Phil’s comment about the book covers and not knowing which one he likes more—sure that’s wholesome and sweet, but is that his real opinion or is it filtered thought the rosy relationship lens?
ukhon
phillion/danosaur <//3

On the topic of British reality TV I could see them coming across really well on celebrity gogglebox and it’s kind of shocking to me tbh (being two ‘celebrities’ who live together) that they presumably haven’t been asked before. I think the British public would really warm to them lol!

And yeah the normal/celebrity distinction was slightly eek but I can’t imagine it actually being awkward between them considering big brother and i’m a celeb etc. are truly bottom tier TV viewing and neither are really Dan’s gigs so I doubt he would’ve accepted the offer
Secretstanner
truth bomb

ukhon wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 6:12 am On the topic of British reality TV I could see them coming across really well on celebrity gogglebox and it’s kind of shocking to me tbh (being two ‘celebrities’ who live together) that they presumably haven’t been asked before. I think the British public would really warm to them lol!
Omg no why did you say this! This is all I want now. I very rarely watch the show but do enjoy it when I do. They have had celebs on GB that don’t even live together but social distance in the room so dnp would be great since they do live together. I do think I big reason why they wouldnt do it is that they would have to have a camera set up just watching them in their house. They do like to keep most of their home private, it seems like one of their boundaries. I think it would be great tv. Get them on the Christmas specials guys so we can see Phil react to Captain America?? Dnp watching tv shows and movies being thirsty... what’s not to love
starsandshards
living flop

fruitcriminals wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 10:09 pm I love that you can hear the PINOF 10 start at 43.33

Not that I'm saying anyone was cheating. At all. Who would do that.
IS THAT WHAT THAT WAS. I WAS LIKE UHHH???? :rofl:
Secretstanner wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 6:35 am
ukhon wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 6:12 am On the topic of British reality TV I could see them coming across really well on celebrity gogglebox and it’s kind of shocking to me tbh (being two ‘celebrities’ who live together) that they presumably haven’t been asked before. I think the British public would really warm to them lol!
Omg no why did you say this! This is all I want now. I very rarely watch the show but do enjoy it when I do. They have had celebs on GB that don’t even live together but social distance in the room so dnp would be great since they do live together. I do think I big reason why they wouldnt do it is that they would have to have a camera set up just watching them in their house. They do like to keep most of their home private, it seems like one of their boundaries. I think it would be great tv. Get them on the Christmas specials guys so we can see Phil react to Captain America?? Dnp watching tv shows and movies being thirsty... what’s not to love
i would LOVE to see them on celebrity gogglebox! i don't think they're "big" enough for it unfortunately but maybe in time?

i didn't enjoy that stereo as much as the other ones and i can't put my finger on why. well, i know what i didn't enjoy and that was phil not interacting as much... but it was dan day, so why am i slightly miffed about that? i felt like dan interrupted him too often as well, and other than that, it just felt "off", like... they wanted it to be "juicy" and spill the tea and all that good stuff, and no tea was actually spilled. it felt like they were still tiptoeing about the topics they themselves brought up for fear of something, which made for a weird atmosphere.

i don't think anyone else mentioned this so it's probably just me!! i have been really stressed out from work lately so that could be why i was struggling to relax and enjoy it.

sorry, i keep editing my post (ADHD :roll: ) i remembered a thing i enjoyed! the parallels between phil's crushes video and dan discussing his crushes (okay, mostly aladdin) had me thinking - the attributes phil was mentioning he liked (sans muscles) all sort of led back to dan, and dan's blabbing about what he liked about aladdin had me thinking of phil. that was quite sweet.
kavat
pastel persona

I'm just in love with this era of Dan and Phil. The stereos are so wonderful, especially after the joint content draught of 2019-20. They are co comfortable with themselves, with each other and with us and i just :happytears:

I would love to get more details on the projects that never were, but I get that they either can't talk specifics or don't want to in case any of them become relevant again. Please boys, do the travel show when travelling is a thing that can be done!!
fruitcriminals
rainbow nerd

Haha @starsandshards yea it was the very beginning bit you get after the advert plays of dan singing. As someone who religiously cheats at monopoly every single time playing Mr FC. It made me chuckle.

I'd like a dnp version of reacting to stuff but i hope it would be on twitch or youtube not regular tv. sitting through a load of other random celebs or couples who you have zero interest in...ugh. Maybe a youtube version with old school youtubers on a zoom call or a twitch one for all the ones that stream now?

I listened again this morning and I love how Dan checks Phil's mum isn't listening to the stereo to hear him say that her house was like the shining hotel, as he doesn't want to roast her.

I also enjoy how Phil all of Dan's crushes are and vis versa. He does have a very disney personality, he looks like a combination of 90's nicole kidman with ewan mcgregor's hair and he is so joyful and kind and romantic (remember that time he just casually booked them a whole holiday to Japan after Dan was so stressed finishing tabinof? I cry. Hilariously, he actually looks a little bit like that tokyo disney puppet which is even more funny as he obviously looks nothing like aladdin.

Phil's video - overall his type from the video is 'sexy tall man with a good personality who also reminds me of a cartoon animal, is a family man who can look after me' and I mean. Dan's no Machoke and he's not going to snap Phil in half but that is a pretty Dan description. Flashback to radio 1 show where he tells Dan he looks like a woodland creature (or animal, can't remember exactly).

I've really liked the last two shows the best. Much more relaxed, being cute and being ok with it. I've always loved domestic dnp but they're far more relatable now that they've opened up a bit, they do argue over dumb stuff like cereal and cleaning, Dan is a headache with his issues and fish dreams. It's nice to know they're not perfect. Mr FC does my head in sometimes, and I wouldn't have it any other way. Well except when he mislays all the scissors. WTF does he even do with them.

I did enjoy that a while back there was some discourse over people thinking they weren't marriage people as I have always thought Phil was 100% a family person from everything he's ever said. And now Phil's literally saying no to a crush on a fictional character in his video just because his surname sounds stupid. Like sorry can't fancy you, fictional character, but Phil Bohner sounds dumb so our imaginary marriage would never work.
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

Yesterday's timestamps!

:15 - "It's a Tuesday and Dan is full of sugar." I wonder if they sugar-up before these shows like they used to before gaming videos?
1:40 - They talk about Phil's gay headband. Phil is feeling very "happy, merry, and gay" today. Dan's cap is turned around; he says he looks like Ash Ketchum. I hope he realizes he just looks like Adrian.
3:00 - They talk about Dan's book cover reveal and the differences in the US and UK cover.
6:00 - They talk about Dan's first review and the mention of Dan's 'other books.' Phil brags about Dan's star.
7:19 - The debate over Dan's signature.
9:48 - They talk about the audiobook.
10:39 - Phil thinks Dan should just do the whole thing in ASMR.
11:00 - They introduce the main topic of secret projects, with users sending in secret project ideas. Dan asks Phil keeps going through fetus photos, Phil explains the iMac is out of storage.
11:50 - The New York online/tv show.
13:00 - Dan accuses Phil of trying to cover his tracks. Dan says they're vague-posting the whole thing.
13:33 - Audio message: they were making their own gardening show.
14:00 - They got as far as looking at apartments but life took a turn.
14:27 - There are 'at least a couple' of post-covid Dan projects.
14:40 - Dan talks about having the privlege of being able to pick the things he wants to do, and when they were younger they didn't have a choice.
15:32 - In Manchester Phil had two months of politing a morning breakfast show with a celebrity. Phil didn't like the vibe of the show and wasn't gelling with the people. (Dan: Because it wasn't me.)
16:34 - They wanted Phil to change who he was and come up with zany fake stories.
17:10 - Audio message: GBBO spin off show with the energy of RPDR. Phil just wants the pit crew assisting while they bake.
17:50 - They discuss reality shows they weren't on. Dan was asked to be on I'm a Celebrity! Get Me Out of Here. They talk about Phil being asked to be on Big Brother (in 2009) and Dan being asked to be on Celebrity big brother.
20:06 - Audio message: Phil's hamster breeding with Dan as assistant.
21:11 - Phil talks about how he doesn't like acting, Dan... claps along enthusiastically talking about Phil's energy.
21:57 - He was asked to audition for the main character on Red Oaks. He decided not to even send in a self tape because he thought he'd be bad, they got Craig Roberts to do it.
23:01 - Audio message: making a web series about fighting the world's most dangerous animals.
23:50 - They almost had a travel show and a game show. Dan thinks a couple of those things 'still should happen.' Phil talks about how the travel show was really, really good. Dan: "There's many things in the background, there's things on the table even now."
24:56 - Phil was asked to be in an advert last week. Phil being in the confused.com advert 'slightly ruined my life.' Phil is being so vague that even Dan doesn't know what it was for. It was for a website where you 'can do some things.'
26:20 - Audio message: building a playground for adults. They object to the idea that they'd be building anything.
27:52 - They talk about Phil's video.
29:14 - Dan talks about how charismatic the Robin Hood cartoon fox is.
29:43 - Audio message about the Ninja Turtles.
31:00 - Dan had a crush on Aladdin.
31:50 - Talk about the Tokyo Disney Sea. Lets just get it out there: I wanted to fuck a puppet.
33:27 - Audio message: the Tin Man from the Wizard of Oz.
35:07 - Dan talks about Ewan McGregor/Moulin Rouge.
37:13 - Audio message: the Pringles man.
38:24 - Zac Efron as the 'gateway lesbian crush.'
38:54 - Dan talks about how Phil bashed his head in earlier. He felt pretty sick but he's okay now. Dan: "I'm glad that you're here."
40:00 - Dan vs Phans. (F or ph) - Phil will quiz Dan on 'the material of our life.'
41:30 - Phil asks Dan what color his shirt was in pinof 1. Dan gets it right: yellow.
42:08 - pinof 6: What did Phil name the snake Dan erotically danced with? Dan guesses Winston, it was Timmy.
43:06 - pinof 10: What color was the insect that interrupted them filming? Green, Dan gets it right.
44:00 - pinof 3: What animal was on Phil's shirt? Dan guesses OMFG owl shirt. Phil corrects him: the OMFG shirt was a cat, but he was wearing a shirt with a penguin on it in the video.
45:01 - pinof 1: What movie did Dan use to describe Phil's parents' house? Dan asks if Phil's mum is listening first, then answers correctly - The Shining.
Levitating
#relatable

I thought that sound was not PINOF 10 but the who wants to be a millionare jingle!? AHAH

fruitcriminals wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 12:20 pm I did enjoy that a while back there was some discourse over people thinking they weren't marriage people as I have always thought Phil was 100% a family person from everything he's ever said. And now Phil's literally saying no to a crush on a fictional character in his video just because his surname sounds stupid. Like sorry can't fancy you, fictional character, but Phil Bohner sounds dumb so our imaginary marriage would never work.

And yeah omg!! I felt he was unconsciously addressing the topic! So do we all agree that it would be Daniel Lester and not Philip Howell? ahah