Dan & Phil Part 99: OnlyPhans

Our two favourite full time internet nerds who never go outside!
hello9217
flower crown
Pronouns: she/her

My dream is that they talk about the process of designing their house but I know that there is a very minuscule chance of hearing about that.

I know today was Dan day but I didn’t feel like Phil was contributing much at all though. That’s what I most enjoy about the shows- when they both have something to talk about. Idk just not the most engaging show today
glitterintheair
phillluminati

My only complaint about these shows is that yeah, they’re getting a biiiit repetitive. I love how they share tiny parts of their lives together with us now - the whole game show part was incredible although I have so many questions - and honestly? I wish they focused more on that type of content. I feel bad for saying it, but the whole ‘story of the week’ segment that Phil brought back from his solo liveshows makes me roll my eyes everytime. Also, change the moderator because they’re boring. I mean, Louis Tomlinson? Taylor Swift? Tom Holland? Boring, boring, boring.

I don’t have too many opinions about the subscription thing other than the fact that I am not a fan of it because the perks are very very meh but also.. people are willingly giving Phil money once a month for a channel subscription that seems more like a scam than anything, so... I am not surprised the effort they’re making in these things is minimal.
I'm a winter flower underground, always thirsty for summer rain.
starsandshards
living flop

Cafil wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 2:11 am
starsandshards wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 9:03 pm y'all i swear dan said daddy in tonight's stereo but i don't see anyone mentioning it so if my brain just invented that what the fuck brain.
He said "gagging" but it did sound like that on first listen :lol:
OH LORD thank you :stan: :lol:
Levitating
#relatable

Thank you inanerat for your explanation on Twitch!

After reading it, I definitely can't see it as something DnP would do! 6 hours is a loooooot. I am sure Twitcher are also performing a persona on their shows so people are able to keep up such performances for 6 hours+, but DnP are used to perform their personas through editing videos and creating focused content (a tweet, an IG post...).

Personally, I would never follow their liveshows back then as I found them boring, even if done together! (I so much prefer edited videos from fans w the best moments of)

I guess Stereo, as long as people continue to pay and they keep their sponsorship, could be the new YouNow - a chill, on-the-side extra show as elaborate as their old lives were. And we have seen how they have kept moving from one app to the other during the years, so I expect them to abandon Stereo at one point or the other!

As for the survey on why we don't listen, if anyone can do it, please do! I would also be curious. Personally, I just don't want another app on my phone.
Matgo
tol bean

Y'all really getting bored so soon after such a long joint content drought? :roll:

Just enjoy it for what it is, a couple of nice gays chatting shit twice a week during lockdown.
ukhon
phillion/danosaur <//3

Tbh I don’t think the Stereos are THAT bad. It’s nice to be able to listen to them and as others have said it doesn’t crash like Rize used to.

I think the main issue is the audience feedback is REALLY delayed so they can’t just freestyle the shows, and it is literally the equivalent of them having to put out podcasts each week as there is nothing to bounce off of except each other. From what we heard last night they make Google docs with bulletpoints of what they’re doing to say on, which I’m not knocking, it’s just that’s probably the reason why it feels so contained and repetitive.

Again, just a hypothesis but the fact it’s twice a week does feel slightly like overkill and I think a one hour show would be better
glitterintheair
phillluminati

Matgo wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 9:12 am Y'all really getting bored so soon after such a long joint content drought? :roll:

Just enjoy it for what it is, a couple of nice gays chatting shit twice a week during lockdown.
I am enjoying it but let me put it this way: when an artist drops an album, some tracks are good, some not so much. That doesn’t mean the album is not good, just that something in there could’ve been done better.
I'm a winter flower underground, always thirsty for summer rain.
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

I think this show felt repetitive because it literally was - they’ve asked for embarrassing stories twice in a row. I get that the setup was slightly different but it made the content feel the same.

Plus twice weekly shows shows during a lockdown where most of their days are pretty damn repetitive I’m guessing - doesn’t lend to having lots of current stories to tell.

That said I am in no way tired of them bc god after two years of no joint content they could read the phone book together and I’d still be sitting here riveted.
rizzo
unduly facetious
unduly facetious

This isn't really in response to any one comment, I'm just saying my thoughts "aloud".

I think for all the "Dan day" and "Phil day" descriptors, it's pretty clear they plan each show out together. Especially given yesterday's bit where Dan put the title in before Phil even finished asking the audience about their luckiest moment. As such, it sometimes feels like Phil's taking over with his more "boring" segments, but the truth is that not every show is going to be Dan going off the rails and revealing he doesn't want to get married or something. I also think there's a need for that on their part. They are trying to fill two 45-minute segments weekly that were probably agreed upon with Stereo and so an hour and a half of talking each week isn't always going to be entertaining. And if I were them, I also wouldn't want it to be ~dramatic~ either. I'm sure it's not enjoyable to have the fandom overanalyze a small personal comment you made, so it's easier to just talk shit for a while or........... attempt to spell long words.

Having lived through the last 2 years and loudly complaining that I ever took daily Gamingmas for granted, I'll take every minute of this. Frankly, this is just an audio-friendly, grown up, and gayer SAP and when you think about it that way? Quality fucking content.

I do sometimes get bored with a bit of it here and there, but like I said, it's nice to think of that as padding for Dan and Phil to not deal with an emotional crisis weekly. Also, regardless of all of that, it's just really nice to hear their voices so often and catch up and know that we'll probably get the story behind something they post?? Soothing to the soul. I hope it never ends, but it will and so I'll enjoy it until it does.
fruitcriminals
rainbow nerd

I agree, and it’s fine to find something or some parts of something a bit boring now and again. I wasn’t a fan of a spelling bee for two grown men as a concept, despite it turning out very funny, but I didn't mean that in a being a hater way, I just assumed obviously you can't like everything. I’ll take more structure and the bants therefore being a bit more lowkey as they already know what story’s coming over surprise commitment and marriage chat out of nowhere.

What I’m also here for is Phil giving me way more hot dad vibes than usual. Is it the voice? Does he seem more confident? What is happening?
noodlebum
flower crown

I am one of the people who only listen to the stereo shows via IDB's upload on youtube. If they were on twitch maybe I would listen/watch live but I'm just not going to get another app.

I wonder if there's any footage of Dan on Red or Black, if he got to the final 32? That's pretty far! :ribena:
Also not really related but out of all the not-milks, oat and sweetened soya are the nicest :) silly Dan not quickly stopping the barista from putting the milk in! :P
And I have also been fed a lovely meal from someone at uni which I wasn't feeling but had to be really nice about because they were so excited about cooking for me...! :roll: :lol:
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

noodlebum wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 2:59 pm I wonder if there's any footage of Dan on Red or Black, if he got to the final 32? That's pretty far! :ribena:
So I definitely already checked out the first episode (it's on youtube) and it aired September 2011 so I'm guessing they were slightly off on their timeline or the show just filmed and waited a year to air - but it says it starts off with 100k people so final 32 is pretty damn impressive.

Here's the ep if anyone wants to eagle-eye it for Dan. Of course, he may not have even been in the first episode, so who knows.

Megancita75
ar·tic·u·late

I was surprised to hear that recording an audio book only takes one day. For some reason, I figured it was a much longer process. But for Dan's sake, I hope he gets to go to an actual studio to do it (with safety protocols, etc.) just to get out of the house, instead of having to record it at home.

Re Twitch: I have zero familiarity with it, but the idea that audience members have hours a day to watch Twitch streams is kinda amazing to me. Who has that kind of time? Like, when I see PJ post that he's going live on Twitch in what (for me) is the middle of the day, I can't figure out who would be able to tune in to watch, much less for hours and hours. And I know Twitch viewers aren't all students or younger folks who might have more free time, but I would be curious to see how the demographics skew. I don't think I'd have time to watch a stream unless it was in the evening for me or archived for playback, and even then, I can't imagine enjoying something that lasted hours, but I'm not a gamer.
starsandshards
living flop

inanerat wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 3:45 amAlso Dan struggling to come up with Dan rhymes? M8 you've got:
What would Dan put in a pan?
What isn't Dan taller than?
What wouldn't you say to Dan's nan?
Should Dan buy a sedan?
Dan something something man?
And if you wanted to add in -am rhymes, since the nasals sound so similar you've got loads more.
beaming these to dan's consciousness please. these are all way better than who should dan stan - that got awkward quickly.
madzilla84
eclipse shirt

I feel like he can’t possibly be recording the entire thing today; isn’t it like 12 hours long, which would be even longer for recording? (Probably 15+) Most professional voice actors/narrators do sessions that are 4 hours max, so for a relative ‘amateur’ (I know he’s done radio etc, but that’s different) they tend to be even shorter sessions, so today is probably just the first session.

I work full time and watch quite a lot of twitch streamers, especially PJ, because I have them on in the background, which I think is very common now some people work from home a lot more ... if I were still in the office I wouldn’t be able to, of course. (Someone in the chat called it ‘coworker vibes’, which is about right, it’s like company)
blackbirddan.tumblr.com
inanerat
eclipse shirt
Pronouns: he/she/they

madzilla84 wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 6:28 pm I feel like he can’t possibly be recording the entire thing today; isn’t it like 12 hours long, which would be even longer for recording? (Probably 15+) Most professional voice actors/narrators do sessions that are 4 hours max, so for a relative ‘amateur’ (I know he’s done radio etc, but that’s different) they tend to be even shorter sessions, so today is probably just the first session.

I work full time and watch quite a lot of twitch streamers, especially PJ, because I have them on in the background, which I think is very common now some people work from home a lot more ... if I were still in the office I wouldn’t be able to, of course. (Someone in the chat called it ‘coworker vibes’, which is about right, it’s like company)
Yeah, I can't imagine he's doing the whole recording today. His voice would be wrecked by the end.

And on twitch stuff, I think it's really a totally different kind of interaction/attention than youtube or stereo even. I also will often watch several hours of streams a day, depending on the day but usually while I am eating, doing homework, etc. I also think it's a totally different entertainment vibe from the streamer's point of view, since unlike a snappy, one-sided youtube video where you have to be more 'on' or energetic all the time, streams tend to be more chill, letting the game and the chat carry a lot of the energy. It is rare that I ever just.. watch a stream with just the straight up stream, I'm always doing something else simultaneously or actively participating in chat conversations.

Side note I spent my morning watching some people on twitch stream a game called 'It takes two', which is two person coop and has tons of different fun puzzles and mechanics (the storyline is quite frustrating however) and it just made me miss dnpg real bad :cry:
:transheart: :transheart: :transheart:
sarmstr2
pumpkin spice pumpkin cookie

Megancita75 wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 3:44 pm I was surprised to hear that recording an audio book only takes one day. For some reason, I figured it was a much longer process. But for Dan's sake, I hope he gets to go to an actual studio to do it (with safety protocols, etc.) just to get out of the house, instead of having to record it at home.

Re Twitch: I have zero familiarity with it, but the idea that audience members have hours a day to watch Twitch streams is kinda amazing to me. Who has that kind of time? Like, when I see PJ post that he's going live on Twitch in what (for me) is the middle of the day, I can't figure out who would be able to tune in to watch, much less for hours and hours. And I know Twitch viewers aren't all students or younger folks who might have more free time, but I would be curious to see how the demographics skew. I don't think I'd have time to watch a stream unless it was in the evening for me or archived for playback, and even then, I can't imagine enjoying something that lasted hours, but I'm not a gamer.
I watch PJs streams as they are in the middle of the day for me. I wfh and it starts right before my lunch and goes about an hour after. I like having it on in the background as it keeps me company. If he isn't on, I'll look for someone else with a similar vibe. I don't participate much in the chat as again, I'm working, but it is really nice to have on and watch while I work.
dumbslet
tol bean

y'all seen Phil's new insta story where he fingers the hairy wall hole??? I just feel like there are some things I didn't need to see irl and Phil's left-handed fingering technique is really one of them
fruitcriminals
rainbow nerd

Has anyone seen Phil's insta? Is it just me but...don't all apartments have these for cable management to shove all the tv and console related cables in?

I also refuse to acknowledge that trainer and pj bottom combo because it could officially be classed as a hate crime.
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

Phil two fingers deep inside a mysterious hole is very befitting for this thread name.
fruitcriminals
rainbow nerd

In case it's not a known thing, it's a Brush Wall Plate - Cable Entry Access. So you can run your cables cleanly and neatly through the wall. Of all the things to scissor.
noodlebum
flower crown

The only reason I'm able to watch so much twitch currently (including PJs) is because I've either been furloughed or working from home the last year, so often have it on my second screen while doing other things. It's pleasant and I'm finding myself enjoying that more than music at times! ☺️
Megancita75
ar·tic·u·late

I laughed so hard at Phil's stupid insta stories. That's all I want, really.
inanerat
eclipse shirt
Pronouns: he/she/they

fruitcriminals wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 9:29 pm In case it's not a known thing, it's a Brush Wall Plate - Cable Entry Access. So you can run your cables cleanly and neatly through the wall. Of all the things to scissor.
Huh. I can see the appeal, but I guess I'm a lot more acquainted with older places. Also seems like while it would be nice when it worked, the setup might be a pain in the ass. I'm just used to the Kabelsalat I guess :shrug: Or running them along the room-facing part of the wall with some sort of attachment if you're fancy and organized.
:transheart: :transheart: :transheart:
Catallena
classy cat lady
classy cat lady

Dan is away from home for one day and Phil goes around fingering random holes in their apartment :lol:
Twitter *•.(★).•* Tumblr