Dan & Phil Part 100: full-time internet homowners

Our two favourite full time internet nerds who never go outside!
kavat
pastel persona
Pronouns: she/her

susan2 wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 12:36 pm another interview!
There's something very funny about how they embedded the book trailer from a youtube account called dumbass_pml :lol:
rizzo
unduly facetious
unduly facetious

shan wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 9:27 am Question for the people who have read/started to read the book: without spoilers, do you think it’s the type of book that will work well as an audio book? I’m kind of tempted to get the audio version when it releases since my physical copy is going to be arriving late but idk how well self-help works as audio.
yes, absolutely! i assume the chapters will be organized easily so you can hop around and still use whatever tidbit you need, but yes!

i also chuckle thinking about how - from afar - it may sound like one of those 90s self-help cassette tapes. :lol:
actualsoulmates wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 4:18 am Another Dan feature on a podcast! https://play.acast.com/s/the-polyester- ... nlineworld
I know he was still very much being ~professional Dan~ in this, but I felt a sense of comfort and casualness from this podcast I don't often get when he's interviewing. Like it was nice for him to just chitchat with folks in his demographic.

Sometimes I have to remember that Dan doesn't have just like... 2 settings: Talking With Phil & Talking With Everyone Else. Like - Phil is absolutely a massive outlier and there will be moments - like this podcast - where he's a bit more comfy than say.... on HuffPost or whatever else.
inanerat
eclipse shirt
Pronouns: he/she/they

I really appreciated a lot of what Dan had to say in that podcast (the polyester podcast), it felt like more of a mix of current and off-the-cuff thoughts as well as things that Dan has been discussing a bit publicly and stuff that has become heavily repeated with promo for the book. One of the things I also really liked was how he talked about and has obviously thought a lot about how the internet and experiences of the internet will effect people's futures and from the relatively surface amount of Hank and John Green's stuff that I've listened to, I think that's one of the reasons that they get along so well, they are also very passionate about where the internet has come from, how it is now and what it can be in the future.

Also the conversation about accountability and how things like that are evolving was very interesting to me, and I really loved how it was handled, like it didn't feel like a Dan-focused conversation or like trying to dig up his shit, but just discussing how it is a common experience that we share things and say things on the internet that we realize after growing that they were harmful, problematic, regretful, etc. It's also interesting to me, as we've talked some about it here, the cycle of old things being brought up, people being upset, wanting different things, not necessarily being clear what they want but taking the chance to be upset and the conclusion that we often come to on here after conversations like those that what matters the most is someone's current actions and how it is so clear how much dnp have grown and clear that they don't do and say things that they have in the past not only because it's no longer 'politically correct' or they would face retaliation for it, but because they understand why it was wrong and no longer agree with it. It was nice too hear that sentiment reflected in Dan's words. (and, when it comes to current behavior I am very much still on Dan, maybe rethink using the word 'crippling' but tbh I don't really know if there's an effective way to get that message to him other than general conversation evolving and him coming to it in his own time)
:transheart: :transheart: :transheart:
rizzo
unduly facetious
unduly facetious

things! stuff! all the dan interviews and content!

there is this podcast that seems to have come out today. it's a nice, short listen: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/8 ... 0522024437 not too much new stuff learned, but i enjoyed it nonetheless!

also some of you are watching the waterstones thing! i hear it is fantastic. plz update. thx.

and ALSO, check out the thread on Dan's Pride Hour and get involved!!
Phantasy
woodland creature

I feel like we’ve been rewarded so much and I feel bad for being so needy and nitpicky, but I still have a mild allergic reaction to Dan referring to Phil as just “friend”. In the book, in the haircut video, a couple of times in interviews—friend just seems so clinical.

“Partner” seems so much more fitting, while maintaining just enough ambiguity (partner-in-crime, business partner, comedic partner, life partner) where as friend almost whitewashs what is so obvious to the point saying friend over and over comes off a tad disingenuous.
:shrug:
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

A really lovely review of the book!

Megancita75
ar·tic·u·late

There's so much content, I'm probably not going to be able to keep up, but that seems like par for the course for marketing something like this. If anyone here knows about podcasting, I'm so so curious about how booking for those happens. Do the podcast staff reach out, is it the publisher who coordinates them? That last podcast is by a hypnotist, but looking back through the episodes he has a very wide range of celebrities he talks to, and I'm curious how well-known he might be in the UK (edited to add: he seems somewhat mainstream from what I can tell).

(As for the "friend" vs "partner" thing, it makes me think about a woman I know here in the USA who has had several long-term, serious relationships with other women, but for complicated reasons wants to be discreet and private about it, and she almost always refers to these women as a "friend," even among people like me who know her backstory and her relationship history. Anyway, I think it's also going to be one of those things that people will react to differently; to my ear, it no longer sounds odd when Dan or Phil use that term in the PCOU universe.)
Catallena
classy cat lady
classy cat lady

I swear I'm not looking for reasons to be mad but I'm not gonna listen to the Paul McKenna podcast. The man is a practitioner of neuro linguistic programming which is nothing but pseudo scientific bullshit aka quackery. Fight me idc. Dan did so well keeping the book scientific with the help of an actual professional, but then he does this and ugh. Even if they don't talk about those quackery methods, I'll still feel icky.
Twitter *•.(★).•* Tumblr
rizzo
unduly facetious
unduly facetious

Re: the "friend" comment.... I watched the haircut video with a friend of mine who is aware of this particular fandom I'm in and she blatantly mentioned how thrown off she was by them calling each other "friend", but I was surprised to find I hadn't even really noticed. I'm so used to it and understand that for them there's a comfort to it. Like - beyond the interviews the general public doesn't really catch ("husbands", anyone?) - I think it's just easier to say "friend" because it's not a lie and they don't have to explain themselves. IDK - whatever makes them comfy. (Though I'd love to hear "partner" used more frequently.)
Catallena wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 9:22 pm I swear I'm not looking for reasons to be mad but I'm not gonna listen to the Paul McKenna podcast. The man is a practitioner of neuro linguistic programming which is nothing but pseudo scientific bullshit aka quackery. Fight me idc. Dan did so well keeping the book scientific with the help of an actual professional, but then he does this and ugh. Even if they don't talk about those quackery methods, I'll still feel icky.
If it makes you feel any better... [spoiler alert, I guess?] Dan slides in at the very end of the interview with a mention that he doesn't fall for hypnosis. So there's at least that? He's kind about it - mentions that he has friends that do but that he's too self aware - but it made me chuckle a bit.
Morganaa
drama llama

Im here to moan a little, i dont even watch them no more, logged in bcause of their soap opera... But he dissapeared for 2 years, not giving a shit about his "fans"
and comeback later, when he has a book to sell, most likely in majority ghost written by someone who is ACTUALLY competent in the subject. I dont perceive youtubers and social media influencers, no matter if they have 4 subscribers and 5 view nor billions of 'em as famous people or even celebrities - if i did, then anyone who's got a youtube channel and instagram account would be a celebtity... See, to be an influencer you aint gotta do much - just at the beginning gotta show some charisma to get people to watch you makin an idiot outta yourself(becuse this is, in fact, what it is - unless we're talking about channels with some actually informative and *sigh prepring mysrlf for backlash* valuable content - and aint nobody tell me doing dumb challenges, testing shit from aliexpress, doing "q and ay" or whatver else these youtubers post on their channels, nor selfies with a hundred filters on are a valuable content - it's just social media entertainment that really, anybody could do(they just need to burst the bubble of shame of makin an idiot outta yourslf in front of A LOT of people). I prceive them as recognizable intrnet personas(like i said, theres a shitton of em and anyone could become one) - and i cringe whenever somebody calls them famous - famous people are people with actual skills - wether in entertainment as musicians, producers, or actors, and dirctors, or political influencers, or people like scientists or big brainers who inveng things or run big companies. Clebritirs are usually singers making shitty pop radio music or mumble rappers - to me it's kinda of deragtory term, but many see it as neutral - whatver floats your boat dude, i aint up to date with modern internet speech includin word meanings. To me internet prsonalitirs are internet personalities - may be popular, but not famous and not even z-list celebs. And no, rdioshow and some tours dont make them any more of og youtubers at last(thats why they even got to do these things - because they were one of the og's and had been a "duo" teenager girls shipped)
Why im talkin bout this? Coz some of em have fan base that'll buy any shit signed with their name or face on it... But this guy has pissed at his fanbase for what, 2 years? Been dead for a long time with no update, just dissapears and then comes back pushing himself to get into any event possible and do everything along with givin content when he got somethin to sell - these are the only times he gives a shit about his audience, as he proved many times... And his fans will take everything and still wanna see it all n buy it all. Thats the thing that bugs me, y know. I mean, buy whatever you want and do whatever you want, it's just kinda... sad, even? He dont give a shit about yall and "writes" a book on a subject he has ABSOLUTELY NOTHING TO DO WITH, besides his claims of dealing with depression and mental issues - well, most of the world population deals with those at some points of their lives, some even do their whole lives. But writin a book on a subject he got nothin to do with i'd understand - he seems to wanna be a mental health ambassador so badly.
Yah, yah, i know, he be workin soooo hard he aint got no time to reply to people askin if he's alive even, obviously. The book hype be over he gonna begone with it, i assure you that, ocassionally poppin up on some intagram joint selfie - well, unless he got somethin else to promote.
I have a feelin imma be putting my head under a rotary cutter, but... aint that the truth? Everyone needs a break, but when yo got an audience waitin for you to give em at least a sign of bein alive, just busy n not feelin like interractin for that long... Homie, that aint look good to me. (un)fortunatelly - only for me. I've never given them a cent(maybe not ven through "watched(just jupin 'round from one timestmp to another, my adblocker accidently lleft turned on... So wha). And dont forget, these are the folks who'd been supportin you all along.

And ah, sorry for the kinda language and slang tems i use. I aint feelin like swappin my detroit - rooted tongue for perfect american english(dont speak british, no regrets) essay.
plinthofmylife
janice from the shop

I gotta say I am CRACKING UP that Daniel Howell, who is famous for his youtube content, is conducting a social media campaign for his book and is posting videos on IGTV instead. If you looked at Dan Howell's youtube channel, you would not even KNOW he has a book coming out tomorrow.

His quality threshold/perfectionism for his main channel just cracks me up because I totally understand it. But like... he's talked about it on Phil's channel, on instagram, twitter, other people's podcasts, made a video for IGTV.... and yet he is fundamentally allergic to posting on his own channel.

@Morganaa You have a right to not support anything Dan does. He also is not required to constantly be providing you with content. There is no contract that says that dan has to post constant updates on his life, and there is no requirement that you buy his book as someone who has watched his videos. :hmmm: You also don't need to rant about it on a forum designed for fans....
Rampurewal123456
smol bean

Does anyone have link to Dan's zoom from earlier
fruitcriminals
rainbow nerd

fruitcriminals wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 11:01 am Re the audiobook - I’ve pre-ordered mine and apparently there is some sort of additional q&a at the end so if anyone wants me to transcribe it when I get to that bit just let me know.
I'd love to read this if it's not too much work to transcribe!
Not a problem at all. I have no idea when it will be though as it's nearly 1am in the UK and audible is saying LOL it's not the 18th. So I'll ping it over to you on whatever we call IDB message as soon as I've typed it.
shan
morning quiff

I think it's a bit of a stretch to suggest Dan's book has been ghost written. He's proved himself perfectly capable of discussing this topic in a serious, coherent way over the last few years so I'm not entirely sure where this assertion came from.

Plinthofmylife summed it up pretty much perfectly saying Dan has no contract that says he has to provide new videos every week or daily updates on his personal life. As an audience member, there's no contract saying you have to stick around. I think Dan's said everything he needs to to explain his absence and if that doesn't satisfy you then you by no means have to support him or keep up with any of his content. I'd say it might be a good idea too since it's not worth surrounding yourself with things that make you upset.

I'm going to leave it there because a lot of the points made seem purposefully antagonistic and factually incorrect so I'm actually getting troll post vibes.
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

Rampurewal123456 wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 11:14 pm Does anyone have link to Dan's zoom from earlier
I recorded it but unfortunately mine had no volume for some reason!

It had a very lovely liveshow vibe. It was Dan on his own, no moderator, and very clearly assuming that the people at that event were His People. There was casual inclusion of Phil in the way the podcasts (save the John one) lack, little random asides to respond to chat, he answered a lot of questions that had nothing to do with the book.

Some highlights from my live-texting over it to rizzo:

- Someone asked him a question about Waterstones shipping and he did a sassy little response about how he's not here to do Waterstones customer service.
- He said he did a book because of lockdown and his two other projects being delayed. "I can sit in my pants and type at 5 am."
- He talked about how dumb it was to try and promote a book on social media while moving house, and compared it to him and Phil deciding to do the TABINOF book and tour at the same time.
- He still goes to therapy.
- He stopped halfway through an answer because someone in chat commented on his crispy plant, then asked the chat to name the plant. "Everyone is just saying Derek and Susan. Why did I even ask."
- He was using the One Direction mug. He talked about how he's basically broken every other mug he owns.
- He mentioned the plants for music playlist as something he listened to while writing the book, as well as lots of instrumental music.
- He said at one point he had to lie on the floor with a pillow holding his laptop up against the bottom of the coffee table because he had some back pain.
- He thinks he can talk about something else he's working on soon.
- The "funnest" thing for Dan about the house was thinking about how he wants to use it. He wanted an office, Phil wanted a room to film videos in so cables and wires wouldn't be all over the house, they wanted a nerd cave. So I guess we can count that as three rooms accounted for? Dan's office, Phil's studio, the nerd cave.
- The thing he is looking for most about lockdown ending is going to the cinema. "They're open today, but yeah, I'm staying inside." He's not vaccinated yet.
- There was a hilarious aside where someone asked him why he was wearing one airpod and he answered with complete sincerity that it was so he could hear us. The chat immediately started pointing out that he couldn't hear us anyway, we're all muted, and he had an ".... oh yeah." moment where he was all grinning and embarrassed. He picked up the book and started flipping through it while saying, "Is there a page in this book for what to do when you've been a comis idiot wearing one airpod for no reason..."
- Someone asked about designing the house and mental health, he said it's been stressful. The bottom line here was: Dan and Phil are control freaks. But he also said, "And now /several years later/ it's going to be great."
- He said he'd like to do casual gaming on twitch.
- He's "trying to" get a piano in the new place.
- Colin is doing well. He waxes poetic about pets and your mental health, referencing Norman, the pigeons getting him through the last year, and then talks about how only get a dog if you're ready for it but how much it can help you to have to care for another living thing. But he also made sure to say, "It's not gonna fix your marriage, it's not gonna cure your depression" but it's good for you.
- He talks about the haircut video and how he's not going to give anyone a 360 view of his head. He's going to let it grow out a bit then go and get the back cut.
- He talked about his signature changing and referred to the new one as "Dan's adult signature."
- The last time he had Dominoes was the mukbang with Phil. He says he doesn't know if they do vegan cheese, but then goes on to say it'll probably be something they have to celebrate moving.
- One thing he did mention during it was something about how many more appearances he has to do for his book and how he would have to burn the jumped after - he went through this little list of the other appearances he had and mentioned Good Morning America and The View but I have no idea if that was part of the joke he was making or legit.

I hope he posts it soon, and in full!
Amiaw
interactive introvert

I don’t agree with the majority of Morganaa’s post and if it is trolling it’s easy enough to ignore or let the mods handle it but I think we should probably be careful of telling people that since this a forum for fans that ranting isn’t allowed. Do I personally want a lot of negativity here? No. However this is a forum for discussion and not everyone is always going to agree or think dnp are always right (refer to 2019) anyways enough of my opinions unrelated to content. The book isn’t for me but I hope everyone reading it enjoys it
Morganaa
drama llama

Oh, you dont put words into my mouth - i never said anyones gotta share shit from their life. As far as i remember, last year you were the ones complaining he only share even a word when thers something to sell, otherwise he wont aknowledge his fans at all.

And the idea of callingbsomeone, who is popular from makin joint vidos of playin video games or doing dumb challenges is called FAMOUS is so ridiculous fo' me i cant evn process :D 2Pac is(was) famous. Eminem is famous. Beyonce is famous. Liz Tylor is(was....) Famous. Michael Jackson. Marilyn Monroe. Dan who?
Then im famous too. Im famous for having 2 black sedans parked on the road. Im also famous as a police invstigtor, half of thr city knows my name. Good to know i became famous without even tryin!

But yo right ma'am. I should rant about how happy this all makes me. Even tho last year you were sayn the same damn thing.
But im defeated, bro, its not the place to complain here, no stndin whilst everyones jumpin. Ayo, over n out.

Trolling? Yah, i really, REALLY dont fit in here :D

Rantin aint allowed? Then how the hell come that 95% is ranting(just anout good things, never sy nothin bad).
Yah, you can ban me coz i said somethin you aint to your likin. Thats more than fine with me. Imma go "troll" somewherevelse, sincevhaving a different opinion's called trollin these days.
shan
morning quiff

Maybe it's just me but for this book, I don't see his talking about it so far as trying to sell something but rather excitement to share a project he's really passionate about. There's a chance maybe I don't notice it as much because it's a topic I'm very interested in as well. It maybe more of a niche project than his previous books (in a phandom specific way) and it's obviously not going to appeal to everybody and that's fine. People definitely don't always have positive things to say but it usually comes across a little bit more respectful of other people's opinions and without the sweeping generalisations. That's what felt very troll-y to me.
jesp
why bother

Morganaa, lets calm down a bit. You've got a history of visiting IDB, sharing your opinions, then getting super irritated when people challenge them. Working on civilly engaging with other users is the best thing for everyone.
plinthofmylife
janice from the shop

Amiaw wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 12:13 am we should probably be careful of telling people that since this a forum for fans that ranting isn’t allowed. Do I personally want a lot of negativity here? No. However this is a forum for discussion and not everyone is always going to agree or think dnp are always right
Oh yea, agreed. Did not at all want to imply that this is a postivity-only space. Complaining about dnp is part of the phandom experience. I just read that particular post as thought the poster isn't a fan, so why are they hanging out on a fan forum?
shan wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 12:27 am It maybe more of a niche project than his previous books (in a phandom specific way) and it's obviously not going to appeal to everybody and that's fine.
Yea, I think that's what's most fascinating to me about this. If he just wanted a payday, he could've just cashed in on making a darn photo book like DAPGO that was clearly just meant for fans. This is something he's clearly quite passionate about based on his years of well-documented advocacy, and I guess time will tell if the book stands on its own without being just for his existing audience.
Megancita75
ar·tic·u·late

Thanks for the time stamps of the Q&A. I am curious about upcoming events related the book. I’m sure a lot of it will be repetitive, but it’s kinda nice to see the dynamic different people have with Dan.

PlinthOfLife, I also wonder about the opportunity to promote the book on his channel, but I also gotta say that the vibe I’m getting from Dan is that he is really trying to recalibrate his internal compass re: external expectations/obligations and personal wants and needs.

I know this book and it’s content isn’t for everyone, but I’ve found myself looking forward to it more as time goes on. Not because I think it’s going to be beautifully written or nothing I haven’t heard before in terms of some mental health concepts, but because I am needing some inspiration and motivation in my life and sometimes just reading about someone else’s story can be really helpful. Maybe Dan’s book can get me off the couch and back into life a bit more. I shall report back once I read the book :)
Morganaa
drama llama

jesp wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 12:28 am Morganaa, lets calm down a bit. You've got a history of visiting IDB, sharing your opinions, then getting super irritated when people challenge them. Working on civilly engaging with other users is the best thing for everyone.
Whoa, i just read all my post, never saw bein "quite"(super, whoa even) irritated", i just didnt agree..anyway, go back to be super excited. I aint. Peace(haos???)
flarequake
not an airport stalker
Pronouns: She/her

On Paul McKenna, there’s no falling for hypnosis that I’m aware of, there’s relaxing and letting a hypnotherapist suggest things to your subconscious mind if you want to. I’ve listened to a few of his CDs over and over for years and they’ve helped me a lot. It’s positive suggestions and stories set to trippy music and it’s got me out of many funks, the sleep one relaxed me so well after months of awful insomnia. I’m not sure what NLP is or isn’t tbh, what I thought I knew of it was things like telling yourself helpful things to give your brain better things to believe, and visualisations. The one I’ve used most is the ‘imagine the unhappy thing you keep thinking of is playing on a tv screen, then silence, freeze, desaturate, and shrink it’. He uses that in one of the CDs and I think the life coach I saw did too. My coach also had one about imagining stepping into a bubble of things you want with you in a situation eg job interview, something about the physical part of stepping in as well as imagining it, well, it works for me when I can let it. I’m not looking to argue over it, though (pls don’t fite me).

Got my book this morning anyway and loving it so far. Seeing a few spaces where a comma should be and then hearing him pause in that 5 minutes of the Intro on the SoundCloud website, lol. It’s lovely to hear more from him, but sad to hear more about what he’s gone through. Still waiting on Audible to process the order an hour after it was meant to be available, but hey ho.

Loved the John Green video, he was my first YouTube love before Dan and Phil, though not as, ahem, passionately as I fell in over them. So lovely how they ended with such heartfelt compliments. Best male emotional representation.
LAshleigh
rainbow nerd

Megancita75 wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 12:44 am I know this book and it’s content isn’t for everyone, but I’ve found myself looking forward to it more as time goes on. Not because I think it’s going to be beautifully written or nothing I haven’t heard before in terms of some mental health concepts, but because I am needing some inspiration and motivation in my life and sometimes just reading about someone else’s story can be really helpful. Maybe Dan’s book can get me off the couch and back into life a bit more. I shall report back once I read the book :)
This is exactly how I've been feeling! I need like a big brother or mentor figure to tell me all these things I already know in the hopes that I will actually listen this time - and honestly, I think that Dan might be able to fill that role for me.
Tornbetweenfandoms
glabella
Pronouns: She/her

fruitcriminals wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 11:57 pm
fruitcriminals wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 11:01 am Re the audiobook - I’ve pre-ordered mine and apparently there is some sort of additional q&a at the end so if anyone wants me to transcribe it when I get to that bit just let me know.
I'd love to read this if it's not too much work to transcribe!
Not a problem at all. I have no idea when it will be though as it's nearly 1am in the UK and audible is saying LOL it's not the 18th. So I'll ping it over to you on whatever we call IDB message as soon as I've typed it.
Me too please!💜

Also if anyone has the zoom q&a or the John green interview I'd be very appreciative
sadgayclown.tumblr.com :lesbianheart: