Dan & Phil Part 100: full-time internet homowners

Our two favourite full time internet nerds who never go outside!
snoopysadie
pumpkin spice pumpkin cookie
Pronouns: she/her

i wish kath had an ig! i want to see her meeting freja <3

also i can't wait to see the new place!! i want dan to explain the design, i NEED it (and i'm sure i'm not the only one) :stan:
"I still remember... the first day I met you."
"I remember it, too"
susan2
rainbow nerd

"YouTube sensation Daniel Howell" is on The Verywell Mind podcast - https://www.verywellmind.com/the-verywe ... st-5113058

"his latest book isn't funny" :lol: i know what they meant but

" i'm in there right now sis" please stop dan

"I would love to just talk about myself for hours" please do dan

I wonder what he said at 9:09 that seemed to have been edited out

aww he kept a journal about his jogging for a week asking how he felt about it afterwards (15:15)

"you are ruining my hotdog" :lol:

That was a nice calm Monday listen!
shan
morning quiff

Just got home from work to find my signed copy has finally arrived! Happy to announce I got one of the ones signed ‘dad’ :lol:
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

In things I meant to mention earlier and forgot - in one of these recent interviews Dan was asked what his favorite British food was and answered with... Phil's favorite food. (Chicken tikka masala.)

They definitely had a conversation in a liveshow at some point about how Phil always orders chicken tikka masala because it's his favorite while Dan is adventurous and gets new things. Also, Dan's vegan. (Ish. At least.)

I love my favorite singular internet personality, Dan and Phil.
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

And a couple fun replies...
plinthofmylife
janice from the shop

Umm dan just started a livestream on his main channel out of nowhere. I guess he found the password? The livestream is offline but the link is active, leading me to believe it is an accidental livestream start...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QR8BLJ7Nl3c

Update: we did some testing and it appears to be the standard channel link for an unscheduled live... but it sent out a push notification/alert through the youtube API so I suspect that he is mucking around on creator studio and it triggered something.
Phantasy
woodland creature

alittledizzy wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 4:03 pm
I mean… some thread names just suggest themselves. :lol:
dontpanic
#relatable

alittledizzy wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 2:48 pm In things I meant to mention earlier and forgot - in one of these recent interviews Dan was asked what his favorite British food was and answered with... Phil's favorite food. (Chicken tikka masala.)

They definitely had a conversation in a liveshow at some point about how Phil always orders chicken tikka masala because it's his favorite while Dan is adventurous and gets new things. Also, Dan's vegan. (Ish. At least.)

I love my favorite singular internet personality, Dan and Phil.
the ppl behind the sony golden headphones award tried to warn us they're a singular entity but we didn't listen smh
Megancita75
ar·tic·u·late

Since I'm in the middle of reading YWGTTN, I am thinking about some things Dan says in there about the only way to get himself to work on things is to make commitments to others or to deadlines, and so I see whatever this Pride video is about to be in that same ilk. I feel like maybe this is separate from the other YT series he might be working on directly with YouTube, though, so when he talks about the June video, I'm unclear if it's the Pride vid or something else after that. I suppose we'll see.

I also keep seeing people talking about Dan's "comeback" to YouTube, and I don't know, my read on this is that Dan is probably just trying out different things that are offered to him and seeing how they feel and that YT for now, and maybe always, will be a back burner thing. I also think following-up BIG has got to be intimidating, but maybe that's also why doing some videos in partnership with other groups is a nice sort of low-key project to do. I wonder if he's giving up creative control a bit for these types of projects and if that's stressful for him. On the other hand, the whole book promo thing has been somewhat an exercise in giving up control. One of things he says in YWGTTN is that he is a control freak but that also he's pretty good at accepting it when things are clearly out of his control. I have this image of his therapist giving him an assignment along the lines of "in 2021, deliberately work on a project in which you can't have full control". At least, that's something my therapist would suggest to me, a fellow procrastinating perfectionist :-)

But goodness, I'm tired for him. Moving, book promo, videos. It's a lot.
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

Megancita75 wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 5:50 pm Since I'm in the middle of reading YWGTTN, I am thinking about some things Dan says in there about the only way to get himself to work on things is to make commitments to others or to deadlines, and so I see whatever this Pride video is about to be in that same ilk. I feel like maybe this is separate from the other YT series he might be working on directly with YouTube, though, so when he talks about the June video, I'm unclear if it's the Pride vid or something else after that. I suppose we'll see.

I also keep seeing people talking about Dan's "comeback" to YouTube, and I don't know, my read on this is that Dan is probably just trying out different things that are offered to him and seeing how they feel and that YT for now, and maybe always, will be a back burner thing. I also think following-up BIG has got to be intimidating, but maybe that's also why doing some videos in partnership with other groups is a nice sort of low-key project to do. I wonder if he's giving up creative control a bit for these types of projects and if that's stressful for him. On the other hand, the whole book promo thing has been somewhat an exercise in giving up control. One of things he says in YWGTTN is that he is a control freak but that also he's pretty good at accepting it when things are clearly out of his control. I have this image of his therapist giving him an assignment along the lines of "in 2021, deliberately work on a project in which you can't have full control". At least, that's something my therapist would suggest to me, a fellow procrastinating perfectionist :-)

But goodness, I'm tired for him. Moving, book promo, videos. It's a lot.
And then throw an in-law visit on top of it...

I mean I hope the visit is more welcome than stressful but sometimes even very much wanted things can feel like a lot when you're trying to squeeze them in between other stuff.
lefthandedism
simply stressed bisexual
simply stressed bisexual

alittledizzy wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 6:00 pm And then throw an in-law visit on top of it...

I mean I hope the visit is more welcome than stressful but sometimes even very much wanted things can feel like a lot when you're trying to squeeze them in between other stuff.
Yes. If you're an introvert, other people, even if you love them, take your energy, by definition.

(Not me, an introvert, looking with horror at all the days on the summer calendar marked to be spent with various loved ones! :lol: )
"If you're left-handed, ask a friend."
"Why am I left-handed?"
"Everybody makes mistakes."
fruitcriminals
rainbow nerd

plinthofmylife wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 4:29 pm Umm dan just started a livestream on his main channel out of nowhere. I guess he found the password? The livestream is offline but the link is active, leading me to believe it is an accidental livestream start...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QR8BLJ7Nl3c

Update: we did some testing and it appears to be the standard channel link for an unscheduled live... but it sent out a push notification/alert through the youtube API so I suspect that he is mucking around on creator studio and it triggered something.
I love that it's still up :lol:
Catallena
classy cat lady
classy cat lady

Meanwhile on Instagram:
Twitter *•.(★).•* Tumblr
Bookworman355
phillion/danosaur <//3

Hopefully all of Phil’s excitement can offset the stress
fioebae
drama llama

Catallena wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 10:02 pm
Meanwhile on Instagram:
Got to love Dan keeping it #relatable with his Amazon basics branded Mac charger :lol: £4000 a month rent and all those designer clothes hasn’t made him 100% out of touch with reality it seems
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

I'm still not sure how to broach us talking about Dan's book - main thread posts? A sub thread? I do feel like this is the big content we're gonna get for the next few weeks so the idea of putting it all in a side thread is kinda weird, not to mention side threads are far more likely to die off just because people forget to check them.

Are there people who just really don't want to hear about the book, though? Like at all? If there are enough of them a side thread might make sense. Honestly my biggest interest is in what keeps conversation interesting for everyone here.

Also, I love Dan and Phil. Just in case anyone didn't know that. I love this period of their life. I love it FOR them. New house! Phil getting to see family again! Dan's first big solo project out into the world! Tons of Dan content (even if half of it is snoozy worthy - for us and Dan - because it's the same questions over and over). Tons of Dan activity on social media. It's such a reprieve from the hiatus of the last year and a half. I hope they're truly enjoying this life.
shan
morning quiff

alittledizzy wrote: Tue May 25, 2021 2:24 am I'm still not sure how to broach us talking about Dan's book - main thread posts? A sub thread? I do feel like this is the big content we're gonna get for the next few weeks so the idea of putting it all in a side thread is kinda weird, not to mention side threads are far more likely to die off just because people forget to check them.

Are there people who just really don't want to hear about the book, though? Like at all? If there are enough of them a side thread might make sense. Honestly my biggest interest is in what keeps conversation interesting for everyone here.

Also, I love Dan and Phil. Just in case anyone didn't know that. I love this period of their life. I love it FOR them. New house! Phil getting to see family again! Dan's first big solo project out into the world! Tons of Dan content (even if half of it is snoozy worthy - for us and Dan - because it's the same questions over and over). Tons of Dan activity on social media. It's such a reprieve from the hiatus of the last year and a half. I hope they're truly enjoying this life.
My POV for liking the idea of a side thread is partly to spare the people who aren't interested but mostly because I think it'd be nice to have a set place for the discussion to look back on like the tours. The interest in the topic of his book is going to lower relatively quickly anyway but I like the idea of having somewhere to go back to to read people's thoughts and reviews rather than having to scour through the main thread. I also think it would likely be less intimidating for people who read it later (people who just can't get it yet or new phandom members down the track) to contribute their thoughts on a designated thread rather than breaking into unrelated main thread conversation.

That's just my thought process as a pro-side threader but obviously as mods of IDB for years you guys will know much better what does and doesn't work here!

And this is absolutely the peak Dan and Phil period. Everything is finally coming together and I'm so happy for them. Now just one Freya photo together please? Or even just with Uncle Phil, I'm not fussy <3
BrothAndBrine
delia smith

I know it would be easy for me to skip things on here that would hold no interest for me.

It would also be nice if someone could code something - instead of "spoiler", "click or tap to read about Dan's book". Or a header to click on top that would insert a semi-large text reading "About Dan's book" and people could skip.
I feel like most people hold some interest about the book.
dontpanic
#relatable

I know I'm never going to read the book but I'd love to hear people's opinions on it, that way I can get the gist. plus, since dnp arent that active right now (compared to like when they were regularly uploading on the gaming channel and stuff) we aren't risking filling up the main thread too quickly or anything.
Secretstanner
truth bomb

I think a side thread would be great. It won’t interrupt current topics like new videos and tweets then. I’m not planning on getting the book but I’d still love to hear peoples thoughts. I think having its own section would be good to go and read now or 2 years down the line. If people want to add they will look for it. People who don’t have to book yet but are waiting or people who just don’t care don’t have to skip pages of discussion then. I’m with Shan. But I won’t be contributing to the discussion so the people who will can make the say.

I dunno how I somehow miss Phil when we have Dan doing things. Plus we had like 3 Phil videos in such a short amount of time but... I wanna see his face
Levitating
#relatable

shan wrote: Tue May 25, 2021 2:52 am Now just one Freya photo together please? Or even just with Uncle Phil, I'm not fussy <3
:loveeyes: yes please!

Personally, I am not planning on buying the book, but since we are not many (or at least, I keep seeing the same names, more or less), and being comfortable with (and craving for) spoilers, I am totally up for discussing it here unless the book discussion is assumed to be more detailed and specific - e.g. going chapter by chapter and how it interlink w DnP's lives/what does it say about them. If people are "simply" putting one main message saying what they liked and didn't, then it can stay here and mix with other things.

As a non-reader, I would read the new thread happily anyway.
liola
rankussy

As someone who has absolutely no interest in the book I don't necessarily mind the talk in the main thread, it's just very monothematic i think, especially because it's the only thing happening right now and Phil hasn't showed up in a bit, so I guess having a separate section can "free" the main thread for other discussions? I also feel like people who do read the book and want to talk about it might enjoy the chance to talk about it more freely and in depth (he) compared to how they might do here
Will probably never be over the BONCAS and the beauty of Phil Lester.

Official Moving Hill Mayor
lefthandedism
simply stressed bisexual
simply stressed bisexual

I've gone ahead and made a thread for book discussion. The initial post is below. I'm looking forward to seeing what everyone has to say by the time I manage to read the book myself and have a chance to comment! :reading2:

Please note that the existence of this thread in no way prevents or discourages any discussion of the book in the main thread.
This thread is devoted to discussion of Dan's book, You Will Get Through This Night. Discussion of Dan's book will also continue on the main threads as members choose.

This thread will focus on doing a deeper dive into the the book itself (like a book club!), as well as serve as an archive of important/relevant/insightful material. Anyone should feel free to crosspost between here and any main thread, or quote material from the main thread that is worth keeping here (be sure to include the original poster's authorship).

There aren't any additional rules. So, everyone: what did you think of the book? :thisnight:
"If you're left-handed, ask a friend."
"Why am I left-handed?"
"Everybody makes mistakes."
snoopysadie
pumpkin spice pumpkin cookie

I just got another notification for a non-existent insta story from dan.
Am i the only one?

I actually paused my kdrama for it i feel wronged
"I still remember... the first day I met you."
"I remember it, too"
shan
morning quiff

snoopysadie wrote: Wed May 26, 2021 1:53 am I just got another notification for a non-existent insta story from dan.
Am i the only one?

I actually paused my kdrama for it i feel wronged
I'm still getting them too. Dan's at least usually seem to coincide with a post, just the wrong time, but I get Phil ones a lot as well even though he hasn't posted a story in ages. Very cruel when I'm feeling so Phil-deprived.