Dan & Phil Part 100: full-time internet homowners

Our two favourite full time internet nerds who never go outside!
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie
Pronouns: she/her

There is absolutely no way THAT is a room that Phil Lester is gonna be spending the majority of his time in. I feel like it fits Dan's personality and idealized aesthetic and that's all well and great for them but what I really wanna see is where they'll really be hanging out. Show me the room with Dan's gaming computer and his guild wars shrine. Show me the board game collection and bookshelves full of Stephen King and Buffy box sets. Show me whatever room has that pretty green wall, even. I'm a greedy bitch, I wanna really picture the room that'll end up with their butt imprints on the cushions.
Bookworman355
phillion/danosaur <//3

A baby grand piano?! Dear god, I obviously know they’re rich but, omg those are expensive as hell. (they literally own a place in London but whatever, pianos are e x p e n s i v e)
inanerat
eclipse shirt
Pronouns: he/she/they

alittledizzy wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 8:01 pm There is absolutely no way THAT is a room that Phil Lester is gonna be spending the majority of his time in. I feel like it fits Dan's personality and idealized aesthetic and that's all well and great for them but what I really wanna see is where they'll really be hanging out. Show me the room with Dan's gaming computer and his guild wars shrine. Show me the board game collection and bookshelves full of Stephen King and Buffy box sets. Show me whatever room has that pretty green wall, even. I'm a greedy bitch, I wanna really picture the room that'll end up with their butt imprints on the cushions.
Same. While I look forward to seeing their design choices and everything, what I look forward to even more is seeing the space as it is more lived in, becomes them not just in a brainchild designer way but in a practical, everyday way. I hadn't really thought about it until Phil mentioned it in his community post about spilling the milkshake and starting to be less anxious about making a mess but there's a certain new-ness that while fun sometimes just doesn't feel as home-y to me. I hope we get to see enough over the coming weeks and months that we get to live that transition with them (I too, am a greedy bitch and absolute sucker for domestic shit :lol: )

I know there was a whole lot of piano discussion a few months back but ngl I'm a little surprised they went for it! But Dan seems real excited/proud of it since he replied to the tweet and they chose to take the pictures in front of it so good for them.
The white (Dan called them 'cream' on twitter? he's probably the kind of person to make sure people know that they're a tasetful off-white lmao) are aesthetically pleasing to me but I just can't take it from a practical perspective.
Also, while it seemed to be the general assumption, these pics are also confirmation that the black wall from Dan's b-day pics and Cornelia's story is part of the house. Idk how I feel about it, it's certainly a bold choice.
And the light wood floors, honestly a little lighter than I would of chosen but still nice and confirmation that Phil did not win carpet everywhere.
And finally, is the picture with the golden pig in front of the teased green feature wall? The color seems a little different than what Phil shoed in a video a while back but definitely similar enough.
:transheart: :transheart: :transheart:
Levitating
#relatable

doesn't the lounge looks... exactly (almost) like their previous one (perhaps it is the curtains' fault) BUT ALSO, doesn't it give you such big The Sims vibes?? AAAAAH so cute!

It was so lovely to find this picture while casually scrolling IG! The join selfie in Dan's page is truly, as you said, such a nice touch for this content. You guys were making me feel more thirsty for Phil's content and this picture has calmed that anxiety a bit, ahah!

And all those cards on the piano! Perhaps birthday cards or perhaps new-home-congratulations cards! (brits are really into cards)
shan
morning quiff

The more I look at the pictures, the more their lounge looks like a slightly modernised version of an Agatha Christie set. All I can see now is them having fancy dinner parties ending in that room with everyone sitting around sipping whiskey or port and Dan getting up to entertain everyone with jaunty piano renditions of Muse. Murder optional but omg I would read that fic!

So yes, it definitely doesn't feel like the 'living' room. More like the fancy lounge at your grandparents house you were never allowed to enter.
lefthandedism
simply stressed bisexual
simply stressed bisexual

shan wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 11:23 pm The more I look at the pictures, the more their lounge looks like a slightly modernised version of an Agatha Christie set. All I can see now is them having fancy dinner parties ending in that room with everyone sitting around sipping whiskey or port and Dan getting up to entertain everyone with jaunty piano renditions of Muse. Murder optional but omg I would read that fic!

So yes, it definitely doesn't feel like the 'living' room. More like the fancy lounge at your grandparents house you were never allowed to enter.
How interesting. Now that you mention it, that lounge definitely has a mid-(last-)century vibe. Is that the cutting-edge trend, or happenstance of their own aesthetic?
"If you're left-handed, ask a friend."
"Why am I left-handed?"
"Everybody makes mistakes."
onceinaugust
rainbow nerd

I think I might have actually guessed correctly a few threads ago when we were talking about a piano in the forever home. I think he went with an electric baby grand from Yamaha. Won't know for sure until we see him playing it, preferably with the lid open, but the digital version is ~£4000 cheaper than an acoustic version. Maybe he splashed out though!

https://www.yamahamusiclondon.com/CLP-7 ... GPUK-PACK1
"You loved it, you want to do it more."
"Alright"
inanerat
eclipse shirt
Pronouns: he/she/they

lefthandedism wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2021 12:13 am
shan wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 11:23 pm The more I look at the pictures, the more their lounge looks like a slightly modernised version of an Agatha Christie set. All I can see now is them having fancy dinner parties ending in that room with everyone sitting around sipping whiskey or port and Dan getting up to entertain everyone with jaunty piano renditions of Muse. Murder optional but omg I would read that fic!

How interesting. Now that you mention it, that lounge definitely has a mid-(last-)century vibe. Is that the cutting-edge trend, or happenstance of their own aesthetic?
It might just be the angle of the picture but something about the shapes, the sort of low-elongated feel as well as the more muted (but thankfully not brown) colors gives me some very 70s, conversation pit-esque vibes but I'm really not a design person so idk wtf I'm talking about really.
:transheart: :transheart: :transheart:
fruitcriminals
rainbow nerd

I know nothing of design but there are a lot of elements that are very similar to what was considered modern in London a few years ago (not saying it isn't now but we did our place a few years ago and that's the only time I've ever looked at design stuff). I still follow our architect and one of his recent houses has a wall like theirs but flat and a wall that has a fireplace like theirs in.

On the piano, good for him (I still secretly wanted Phil to have bought it for him). Even the full price one is a lot cheaper than I was expecting tbh. It's a better investment than a car!

Mr FC's comment on the photo - was this taken ages ago? Did they get married? Why are they wearing jumpers?! And I was too busy sobbing at the cuteness to think that, yeah you don't normally leave the cards up for that long after you move and it's been sweltering here for ages even if you do have aircon. Maybe these were the friends and fam pics (awww even more).

It's been a funny old week. Joey Graceffa is playing in a Minecraft stream for pride with Tubbo and Tommy (which I shall be watching just because I can't even imagine that (also excited to watch LDShadowlady and Vik tbh), people actually seem to like KSI's new song for once, Dan's posting genuine tweets and adorable pics in matching outfits, Phil's wearing black. What is this timeline?
kavat
pastel persona

The style of this room is not for everyone, but I really love it. It feels modern without being too trendy, but also masculine and adult. If their last place was reflective of interior trends 5 years ago (stark whites and greys) this feels more 2020's with the softer creams and black accents. And I think we have the same rust colored throw pillows lmao. The armchair looks like a Husk which starts at £3000 and I think I see two of them... :shock: I would love to see it in daylight with the curtains open because I think it would look quite different too.

Gosh, all I want is an AD style house tour describing all the features. Or better yet, a Grand Designs episode.
shan
morning quiff

kavat wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2021 8:24 am The style of this room is not for everyone, but I really love it. It feels modern without being too trendy, but also masculine and adult. If their last place was reflective of interior trends 5 years ago (stark whites and greys) this feels more 2020's with the softer creams and black accents. And I think we have the same rust colored throw pillows lmao. The armchair looks like a Husk which starts at £3000 and I think I see two of them... :shock: I would love to see it in daylight with the curtains open because I think it would look quite different too.

Gosh, all I want is an AD style house tour describing all the features. Or better yet, a Grand Designs episode.
Flipping hell that's a lot of money for an armchair, I'd bet anything they didn't go with a standard option as well. And you're right, they absolutely have two, you can just see the arm of the second one behind the side table. It looks incredibly cosy though, too bad I probably wouldn't even be let through the door at a store as expensive as that to ever find out!

I think I like the overall vibe (I personally love Agatha Christie novels so that comment was actually a complement from me :lol:) I just don't love a cream couch. I personally see a good couch as a life time investment and they got cream leather? My dude you live with Phil, wrap that shit in plastic. Lucky for them, they're also rich so they probably don't have to think like that!
fruitcriminals
rainbow nerd

I just noticed the coffee table as well, might be the one from Homary if it's got storage under it. Their coffee tables are gorge. I am really liking their home from what they've shown. I am actually quite surprised!

Also saw someone on twitter asking why they had WHEAT on their piano and omg it made me lol. Bless them (they were a teenager).
shan
morning quiff

This is the closest I've been able to find for the sofa:

https://camerich.co.uk/range/sofas/wake ... covering60

It's a modular so they could have changed the configuration but I'm not sure that it's a perfect match because the sofa back cushions are longer? It's by far the most similar I could see though. It's kind of fun furniture shopping as if I ever actually afford these upscale places!
Levitating
#relatable

I wonder how self conscious they feel about the money they have compared to other youtubers. Like, you do not usually go and surprise yourself because famous actor/surgeon/banker/published author has so much money, but I guess w Youtube as a job there still is? I don't know if Zoella went through the same kind of feeling when she bought her gorgeous house?

Or is it because DnP really put forward the relatable card and still target a young-ish audience thus to present themselves as 'adults w a remunerative, adult-tax-paying-career' breaks that brand because it disconnects them from their target audience (which is something many old youtubers go through, that becoming un-relatable)?
I do feel disconnected/avoid influencers who are not going through my same kind of path in life (academic) because it makes me feel like I have not accomplished enough etc, so it's a way to avoid comparing myself to them for my mental health while prioritising those people who (although still doing better than me :rofl: thus are inspiring) are still mid-way in the journey to build themselves.
I follow DnP for entertainment and queer-safety, so it wouldn't affect me even if they got billionaire-rich.

Is it because of sensitivity? Even if they were targeting adults, maybe they are afraid of being perceiving as if they were flaunting their richness? To me this feels a bit sad, in terms of internet culture. It reminds me of that "Kim, people are dying" meme. Yes, people are dying but feelings are personal and always authentic. And we know for sure that DnP have perspective. We know their story. But I guess the internet wouldn't forgive them as it has happened to other celebrities showing pictures reflective of their wealth.
shan
morning quiff

Levitating wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2021 11:35 am I wonder how self conscious they feel about the money they have compared to other youtubers. Like, you do not usually go and surprise yourself because famous actor/surgeon/banker/published author has so much money, but I guess w Youtube as a job there still is? I don't know if Zoella went through the same kind of feeling when she bought her gorgeous house?

Or is it because DnP really put forward the relatable card and still target a young-ish audience thus to present themselves as 'adults w a remunerative, adult-tax-paying-career' breaks that brand because it disconnects them from their target audience (which is something many old youtubers go through, that becoming un-relatable)?
I do feel disconnected/avoid influencers who are not going through my same kind of path in life (academic) because it makes me feel like I have not accomplished enough etc, so it's a way to avoid comparing myself to them for my mental health while prioritising those people who (although still doing better than me :rofl: thus are inspiring) are still mid-way in the journey to build themselves.
I follow DnP for entertainment and queer-safety, so it wouldn't affect me even if they got billionaire-rich.

Is it because of sensitivity? Even if they were targeting adults, maybe they are afraid of being perceiving as if they were flaunting their richness? To me this feels a bit sad, in terms of internet culture. It reminds me of that "Kim, people are dying" meme. Yes, people are dying but feelings are personal and always authentic. And we know for sure that DnP have perspective. We know their story. But I guess the internet wouldn't forgive them as it has happened to other celebrities showing pictures reflective of their wealth.
I don't really think their content is geared towards a particularly young audience. By virtue of making videos on YouTube for a living they've definitely collected a decent following of people under the age of 18 but if I remember correctly the majority of their subscribers are 18+ with a pretty healthy following of those of us 25+.

I also don't think any of the content they've made up to this point indicates that talking about money and/or more material topics is something they're interested in. We all know they're very wealthy and like the above comments, we're also aware of some of the more lavish things they spend their money on. They've shown holiday photos that are extremely extravagant in the past. That Tokyo hotel from 2019? Over $1000 a night. Not to mention all the plane photos in business class. I don't think they hide their wealth, it just doesn't make sense for it to be a topic of discussion in their content nor does it for most creators. If you've built a career on making silly videos and then suddenly come out with a Dolce and Gabbana haul, that will of course be quite alienating (I vividly remember someone doing that but I don't know who).

I get the feeling that not wanting to do a house tour is a lot more to do with a sense of privacy honestly, I'm pretty sure Dan knows the majority of us would absolutely love the materialism of a house tour. If they did one, they'd have to decide whether they would rather deal with the confirmation of one main bedroom or go through the façade of making an AP room again. It must also be super weird having your every possession analysed by a bunch of strangers on the internet, not matter how interesting it is to us!
kavat
pastel persona

I think they've managed to stay "relatable" on the surface in a way, or to a casual viewer. Especially in comparison to many other successful youtubers who bought houses/cars way earlier in their careers, posted luxurious travel vlogs or wear designer. Phil still mostly wears Topman. Dan wears more designer items, but not anything branded with Gucci logos or LV patterns. They've lived in apartments that if you don't think about/are aware about location or size too much, seem pretty normal for young professionals. They've never made their wealth their content, which has been a big chunk of youtube content for a while. While big LA youtubers where making Gucci hauls, Phil was making Wish hauls.

It will be interesting to see if them "showing" their wealth status like this more will bring a wave of criticism towards them. I'm guessing that's what Dan was afraid of when he said he didn't want to do a house tour.
Levitating
#relatable

So there's a part of them wanting to maintain that facade to keep up the brand - and thus avoid disrupting their profit - and on the other side there is also the fear against internet culture - for those people who somewhat feel entitled to criticise someone's else wealth. This last one still does not sit well w be because it is comes from "youtube is not a job", then these people are just blind. If it's because "people are dying", again, I don't understand how someone could go down that route. Yes, people are dying even through the ipad/phone you're writing from!

I hope the phandom (is it too much to ask?) behaves a bit and shows them that they are not just "rich people", but that they are inspiring.
lefthandedism
simply stressed bisexual
simply stressed bisexual

Surely most of us have friends who are more well off than we are. If not friends who are well off on their own, then from wealthy families?

Being solidly adult, I have quite a few friends who are making a good living, have inherited money from their parents, etc., and who decidedly are better off than me now, even if we were once all poor students together. There might be the occasional specific situation where a disparity in resources can come up (eg, what kind of vacation to go on), but we are still friends. We still relate on a lot of levels.

I know "relatability" is a thing, but I don't think Deppy have become unrelatable because the are rich. There are plenty of ways they remain relatable to most of us--as queer, as nerds, as introverts; interested in gaming and language and mental health. One interest they don't have is spending money on things for the purpose of showing their audience how much money they have--and that's relatable!

I hope Dan and Phil aren't worried about some fans' investment in how much wealth they have.
"If you're left-handed, ask a friend."
"Why am I left-handed?"
"Everybody makes mistakes."
Templeofshame
rainbow nerd

It is a little funny to me to talk about "Youtube isn't a real job" arguments when Dan hasn't posted a vid in two years (and when there's a huge difference between a "real job" and one that makes you a multimillionaire by 30). They have jobs that are extremely unconventional, but at the end of the day, they're celebrities and it's not so surprising that celebrities are rich. I definitely agree with lefthandedism that pretty much everyone relates to people with a lot more money than them, whether someone you know personally or Youtuber/celeb parasocial type situations. When people don't think about it, they might assume people to be more like themselves, but it can get very silly how people in the phandom either try to argue that D&P aren't that rich or get defensive about it.

Personally, I don't think D&P care nearly as much about how we perceive their wealth as we do. They're not gonna make content about it or straight-up brag about it (because that's not their style? because they know there would be backlash? because they're not assholes?), but also they're gonna show what they want to show and have that sometimes-dissonant combinations of anticapitalist Dan in designer clothes and frugal Phil quibbling about small expenses but not about big ones. Because they're people and like many rich people are like that. Idk it doesn't feel neatly strategized to convey some kind of cohesive branding about their wealth to me.
Levitating
#relatable

Do you find that their incomes come from being 'celebrities' rather than working (where the difference is for example in two actors playing two roles with similar lenght/level of intensity/ability and one gets paid as anyone else would do in his same position while the other, being a celebrities, earns more for simply being famous)?

I keep seeing Zoella's vlogs. She's also going through life-chaning things with this baby coming and I feel like I am watching her just to fantasise how it would be if DnP did the same T.T I would love to see them as comfortable as her in sharing their things - in a different channel, in vlogs here and here. But yeah, as we know, Dan's focus (when/if) on youtube is entertainment/performance, not "himself", while Phil is too a private person to share as much as Zoe, sigh!
BlueSnoko
sofa crease

shan wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 10:24 pm I’m impressed Phil managed to get carpet in the house with Dan around to veto.

I really like that he’s choosing to donate the subscriber money this month. He’s barely ever active in the cacti community but it’s some kind of acknowledgement of that at least. From his phrasing though, I wonder if he considers just posting normal videos him being around for members as well?
I think it was wall to wall carpeting that was the issue. Which I agree is terrible.
The mauve ones are boys and the white ones are girls, and the blue ones are just little sillies who are not sure what they are. - J. M. Barrie
BlueSnoko
sofa crease

shan wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 10:24 pm I’m impressed Phil managed to get carpet in the house with Dan around to veto.
I think it was wall to wall carpeting that was the issue. Which I agree is terrible.
---
The mauve ones are boys and the white ones are girls, and the blue ones are just little sillies who are not sure what they are. - J. M. Barrie
BlueSnoko
sofa crease

I am so amused by this photo because I can imagine Dan being like - ThIs Is tHE soPHISTiCaTEd ADULT SPACE I HAVE FINALLY ACHIEVED IT Phil we need to dress all in black to match the adult sophistication of the room for the insta of my dreams! And Phil being "Yeah, all right" but he insists on sneaking his spotty blue socks in because Phil will always be Phil and quirkiness does not have an age.

Also Phil perched with his legs curled up on the Piano chair is rather fetching. >_>
alittledizzy wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 8:01 pm There is absolutely no way THAT is a room that Phil Lester is gonna be spending the majority of his time in. I feel like it fits Dan's personality and idealized aesthetic and that's all well and great for them but what I really wanna see is where they'll really be hanging out.
I dunno, I feel like they both spent a lot of time in the upstairs lounge at the last apartmet(s). In the I.I. day in the life there's footage of them playing Fortnight or something in that lounge. I don't think they dragged their gaming setup there just for the video. In Dan's October 3rd '17 livestream he complains he's streaming in the bedroom because Phil wanted to watch Dr. Foster in his living room. That lounge was equaly Dan's aesthetic - which I've been calling in my head "soft and warm cave" because it's very natural - definitely some biomorphic elements as well as neutral earth colors - but also fluffy and soft and (and yes sometimes my head says soft and warm hole instead because that's the origin)
So it seems that Phil is ok with hanging out and relaxing in a beige and gray cave.

It definitely is Dan's aesthetic and not Phil's, but we know Dan is a little more insistent on having his way aesthetically than Phil. Maybe Phil lowkey likes soft and warm caves. Maybe this is something Phil is ok with compromising on because he doesn't care that much? There are a few Phil elements, such as the colorful lights. Maybe this is why he was so desperate to get his Pig in. He needed it for balance. While I'm certain there are other spaces that will be different, I feel the aesthetic alone cant tell us how much Phil will use this room. It's entirely possible this is an entertainment lounge and they have a more relaxed living room elsewhere, but I think it's also possible they will squish their buts all over the aesthetic art deco sofa.

On the subject of other spaces though, something I've been wondering about the office springs to mind. I've been wondering about this ever since the only fans joke that Phil made on Stereo- while making theft joke he said to Dan, "you think there's going to be an office in there new place" an office?

That makes me wonder if they're sharing an office, and if so, why they chose to put their work spaces together instead of seperate. You'd think they would want individual spaces they could design with their personal work habits in mind. Those are Dan and Phil spacers I want to see. Not leisure, but srz bzns spaces. What do they want in a work space? Anyway, I'll be interested to find out if there is one office or two.
Last edited by BlueSnoko on Sun Jun 20, 2021 10:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.
shan
morning quiff

The lounge in the old living flat had many more 'Phil' elements with the board game shelving unit, the splashes of colour and the Bryony painting etc. The reason it doesn't feel like the main hangout to me is just the cream couch. It's so hard to keep something that light clean regardless of if it's fabric or leather. I can 100% see Phil living his best 'Sophisticated Lester' life, swirling some rose in a wine glass and splashing it all over the sofa. At least they got some nice photos of it now :lol:

For offices, I'd guess their new place is 3 bedrooms since apartments with more than that are very rare. That doesn't really leave them with much wiggle room to swing two completely separate rooms but they could always make two distinct office spaces within the same room if they felt the need.
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

BlueSnoko wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 10:30 pm Image

I am so amused by this photo because I can imagine Dan being like - ThIs Is tHE soPHISTiCaTEd ADULT SPACE I HAVE FINALLY ACHIEVED IT Phil we need to dress all in black to match the adult sophistication of the room for the insta of my dreams! And Phil being "Yeah, all right" but he insists on sneaking his spotty blue socks in because Phil will always be Phil and quirkiness does not have an age.

Also Phil perched with his legs curled up on the Piano chair is rather fetching. >_>
alittledizzy wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 8:01 pm There is absolutely no way THAT is a room that Phil Lester is gonna be spending the majority of his time in. I feel like it fits Dan's personality and idealized aesthetic and that's all well and great for them but what I really wanna see is where they'll really be hanging out.
I dunno, I feel like they both spent a lot of time in the upstairs lounge at the last apartmet(s). In the I.I. day in the life there's footage of them playing Fortnight or something in that lounge. I don't think they dragged their gaming setup there just for the video. In Dan's October 3rd '17 livestream he complains he's streaming in the bedroom because Phil wanted to watch Dr. Foster in his living room. That lounge was equaly Dan's aesthetic - which I've been calling in my head "soft and warm cave" because it's very natural - definitely some biomorphic elements as well as neutral earth colors - but also fluffy and soft and (and yes sometimes my head says soft and warm hole instead because that's the origin)
So it seems that Phil is ok with hanging out and relaxing in a beige and gray cave.

It definitely is Dan's aesthetic and not Phil's, but we know Dan is a little more insistent on having his way aesthetically than Phil. Maybe Phil lowkey likes soft and warm caves. Maybe this is something Phil is ok with compromising on because he doesn't care that much? There are a few Phil elements, such as the colorful lights. Maybe this is why he was so desperate to get his Pig in. He needed it for balance. While I'm certain there are other spaces that will be different, I feel the aesthetic alone cant tell us how much Phil will use this room. It's entirely possible this is an entertainment lounge and they have a more relaxed living room elsewhere, but I think it's also possible they will squish their buts all over the aesthetic art deco sofa.

On the subject of other spaces though, something I've been wondering about the office springs to mind. I've been wondering about this ever since the only fans joke that Phil made on Stereo- while making theft joke he said to Dan, "you think there's going to be an office in there new place" an office?

That makes me wonder if they're sharing an office, and if so, why they chose to put their work spaces together instead of seperate. You'd think they would want individual spaces they could design with their personal work habits in mind. Those are Dan and Phil spacers I want to see. Not leisure, but srz bzns spaces. What do they want in a work space? Anyway, I'll be interested to find out if there is one office or two.
Oh you're absolutely right about them spending time in the lounge at the last place! But I think that's actually my point - that one had all the stuff. Dan's gaming computer with the bookshelf was in that lounge, their video game systems were in that lounge, their shelf of board games were in that lounge. I wanna see where all that stuff lives in the new place because I feel like that's where they'll be most!

I would really love to see the work spaces too, though.