Dan & Phil Part 100: full-time internet homowners

Our two favourite full time internet nerds who never go outside!
Catallena
classy cat lady
classy cat lady

:rainbowsparkle1: instagram story fairy has arrived late and without starbucks (is that meme still a thing? no? oh well.) :rainbowsparkle1:
Twitter *•.(★).•* Tumblr
qakie
tol bean
Pronouns: she/they

Hey guys, not to press the panic button here but Youtube is privating all unlisted videos posted before 2017 on July 23rd. They're giving creators the option to opt out of this, but if dnp don't op-out we're going to lose access to a lot of videos that haven't been downloaded and reposted in the drug deal doc (many of them just link to the unlisted video instead of a new google drive link). I'm afraid the interactive adventures series is going to be wiped along with all the other hidden videos like this iconic one
Kurapika
pumpkin spice pumpkin cookie

ugh guys i could barely watch it. as in, i was cringing so much, it was funny, but unwatchable 😖
the candlelight by the crescent moon
snoopysadie
Pronouns: she/her

qakie wrote: Sun Jun 27, 2021 8:12 pm Hey guys, not to press the panic button here but Youtube is privating all unlisted videos posted before 2017 on July 23rd. They're giving creators the option to opt out of this, but if dnp don't op-out we're going to lose access to a lot of videos that haven't been downloaded and reposted in the drug deal doc (many of them just link to the unlisted video instead of a new google drive link). I'm afraid the interactive adventures series is going to be wiped along with all the other hidden videos like this iconic one
*nervous laugh* "i can't do it cause you're listening" *looks to the side talking in an endearing way i've only seen him do towards dan* WE NEED TO SAVE THESE IMMEDIATELY.
"I still remember... the first day I met you."
"I remember it, too"
missemma
#teamshavedsides
#teamshavedsides

fruitcriminals wrote: Sat Jun 26, 2021 9:21 pm - the forfeit tweet was written by someone doing the production, they submitted suggestions and that's what was approved and changed a bit as far as I can see
Just to clarify that Adzie tweeted to say that they had written the forfeit tweet and had submitted that to the producers. None of the tweet was changed at all bar a smiley face.

Adzie also tweeted saying that the script was written before the producers/production company picked the “fans”. They had been given lines to say for the video. I would be keen to know exactly how much Dan knew about who was picked before the day of the show.

Knowing how scripted it was now is a bit of a shame, even down to the tweet bit. Also the questions “asked” by the people in videos weren’t even their questions but ones sent to them to ask. It wasn’t live so they could have given the fans a bit more leeway about what they asked and said.

I agree that they should they have had some LGTBQ+ POC in this section of this video given how diverse and world wide the fan base is. I would have also liked some older fans as well. There is a larger percentage of people over the age of 30 they could have done so much more with it which is a shame.

Saying that, I am proud of Dan. Some of what he says will resonate and help many people. If it saves one person, or helps one person then that’s good in my book. I wish I had someone like him when I was younger telling me not to waste time and to be proud earlier on.

I did think it was going to be an actual DH video but let’s face it, it definitely wasn’t. You can tell this wasn’t edited or produced by him. I did go in with low expectation because I’ve taught myself within the phandom to do that and I’m glad I did. I enjoyed the video but it won’t be something I will watch again.
:prideheart: :gayaf: :prideheart:
snoopysadie

i just realised i came in here to see if anyone had shared this but i got distracted:

yes, dan, women are amazing.

and i have to agree that the video felt really awkward at times.

okay i'll go back to studying now. ugh.
"I still remember... the first day I met you."
"I remember it, too"
Birdie
blobfish
Pronouns: they/them

I'm so glad Dan got the opportunity to make this but I'm a bit underwhelmed by the whole youtube Pride event to be quite honest. Dan's video was suspiciously white as has been pointed out, and that's not on him since he had no say in which fans were chosen, but so was the whole event. I really wish they had tried to cover some more letters from the acronym as well. There were some more diverse guests in the videos but the hosts were mostly gay men when they could have given spots to women, more non-binary and trans people and so on. I obviously don't know what went on behind the scenes and if there's a reason for this but I'm just slightly disappointed. That's nothing to do with Dan, I just felt like saying.

Other than that I'm also hoping Phil will someday get opportunities like this as well. Considering how long and consistently he's been popular on youtube it's kind of weird he hasn't.

Right, back to lurking, happy Pride, guys. :prideheart2:
Catallena
classy cat lady
classy cat lady

YouTube Pride in general feels a bit... performative? idk I'm cishet what do I know. But aren't there still problems with YouTube demonetizing and not promoting videos if they drop a word the algorithm doesn't like? Something truly scandalous like 'lesbian' for example? Here's a Pride idea. Solve that first so that your many LGBTQ+ creators can make a better living or something :rainbow:

Anyway, Dan thinks women are amazing. Thanks bud :ribena:
Twitter *•.(★).•* Tumblr
shan
morning quiff

It's completely performative. They've thrown a pretty decent chunk of money at producing these videos but haven't done much of anything to promote it. I scrolled to the bottom of their homepage on an incognito window and there was not a single video from the Pride event, let alone anything LGBTQ+ which to me was even stranger. The only place they seem to be promoting it is twitter but with their ridiculously low engagement compared to follower count that hardly counts as promo. My cynical mind thinks that all the money from these videos is going to charity and not YouTube's pocket so they don't really care how well these videos do.
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

snoopysadie wrote: Sun Jun 27, 2021 8:45 pm
qakie wrote: Sun Jun 27, 2021 8:12 pm Hey guys, not to press the panic button here but Youtube is privating all unlisted videos posted before 2017 on July 23rd. They're giving creators the option to opt out of this, but if dnp don't op-out we're going to lose access to a lot of videos that haven't been downloaded and reposted in the drug deal doc (many of them just link to the unlisted video instead of a new google drive link). I'm afraid the interactive adventures series is going to be wiped along with all the other hidden videos like this iconic one
*nervous laugh* "i can't do it cause you're listening" *looks to the side talking in an endearing way i've only seen him do towards dan* WE NEED TO SAVE THESE IMMEDIATELY.
Just gonna put this out there - if there is anyone with a good sense of organization and project management that has the time to dedicate to backing things up... please drop me a message. We can definitely get these all backed up, it just takes a team and it's very difficult to find people that can commit to it (understandably!).
BlueSnoko
sofa crease

Katka wrote: Sun Jun 27, 2021 9:29 pm Other than that I'm also hoping Phil will someday get opportunities like this as well. Considering how long and consistently he's been popular on youtube it's kind of weird he hasn't.
Phil is too Drama free. It just doesn't get you noticed. He's a little too good at keeping a low profile and a respectable image. Well, apart from eating glue. :facepalm: I'm not saying he couldn't rock the limelight. He needs to sell himself a bit more and make the moneybags pay attention. Momager Dan needs to get on this. :cheer:

:nbflag: :biflag: :panflag: :rainbow:
The mauve ones are boys and the white ones are girls, and the blue ones are just little sillies who are not sure what they are. - J. M. Barrie
inanerat
eclipse shirt
Pronouns: he/she/they

Catallena wrote: Sun Jun 27, 2021 10:28 pm YouTube Pride in general feels a bit... performative? idk I'm cishet what do I know. But aren't there still problems with YouTube demonetizing and not promoting videos if they drop a word the algorithm doesn't like? Something truly scandalous like 'lesbian' for example? Here's a Pride idea. Solve that first so that your many LGBTQ+ creators can make a better living or something :rainbow:
shan wrote: Sun Jun 27, 2021 10:56 pm It's completely performative. They've thrown a pretty decent chunk of money at producing these videos but haven't done much of anything to promote it. I scrolled to the bottom of their homepage on an incognito window and there was not a single video from the Pride event, let alone anything LGBTQ+ which to me was even stranger. The only place they seem to be promoting it is twitter but with their ridiculously low engagement compared to follower count that hardly counts as promo. My cynical mind thinks that all the money from these videos is going to charity and not YouTube's pocket so they don't really care how well these videos do.
While we're shitting on youtube here for a moment I just wanted to say yes to both of these things (not punishing queer creators for expressing queerness and sexuality and talking about queer topics and promoting pride events not just to the people that were already most likely to watch it anyway and not really show a peep on the main page) I also had the thought while watching this that I'm kind of tired as hell of massive corporations running fundraisers for their pride events, especially when the target audience and clearly who they were targeting with advertising was basically just queer people?? Like it makes them look so much better or something when all they're doing is providing a button for queer people to queer supporting orgs. Like,, I have that money and they don't?? Also idk how the donating through yt fundraisers work but if they take any cut from it that's a big no from me. (also idk cause I have adblock, but I heard someone else mention it, were there ads on the video? cause if so I sure as hell hope they were donating the ad money too, unless it was going to the creators)
:transheart: :transheart: :transheart:
shan
morning quiff

inanerat wrote: Sun Jun 27, 2021 11:56 pm (also idk cause I have adblock, but I heard someone else mention it, were there ads on the video? cause if so I sure as hell hope they were donating the ad money too, unless it was going to the creators)
There weren't ads during the live upload but there were when I rewatched it that night. It took me by surprise as well because I assumed there wouldn't be any since it's a fundraiser. I was assuming that YouTube will be putting any ad money made from views on these videos to the charities which is why I didn't think they'd been bothering to properly promote it but I'm honestly not sure. I would also think since it's a fundraiser, creators were participating voluntarily and not paid to take part? At least I really hope so, especially given the people who were hosting each video.
anna_begins

Levitating wrote: Sun Jun 27, 2021 11:05 am - the donations are so low! 3 days left and it hasn't reached half of its target. Is this normal?
The donation tally only shows what people donated to the Trevor project but links were also provided for akt and Elton John's AIDS Foundation so (hopefully) more money was raised than what is showing. I agree with everyone that youtube should have done more advertising. I was hoping that this was going to be a step in the right direction for them but alas same old, same old.
Birdie wrote: Sun Jun 27, 2021 9:29 pm I'm also hoping Phil will someday get opportunities like this as well. Considering how long and consistently he's been popular on youtube it's kind of weird he hasn't.
I think Phil probably does get opportunities like this and they're just not something he wants to pursue. When BBC3 reached out to Dan to do the esports documentary Phil said he was also asked if wanted to do something for them but he couldn't think of anything he'd be interested in doing that would match what they were looking for and I imagine that's happened with other things too. I do hope that an opportunity for the game show or whatever else he's been working on comes through soon though, because that is something I'm sure he would be interested in taking and I'd love to see it!

Changing subjects but has anyone spotted a recording floating around of today's Dan/John Green event yet? I've been seeing some quotes/screenshots/gifs and it looks like it was really interesting. What I wouldn't give for a Dan and John podcast, I love them together so much.
Tornbetweenfandoms
glabella
Pronouns: She/her

anna_begins wrote: Mon Jun 28, 2021 3:25 am
Changing subjects but has anyone spotted a recording floating around of today's Dan/John Green event yet? I've been seeing some quotes/screenshots/gifs and it looks like it was really interesting. What I wouldn't give for a Dan and John podcast, I love them together so much.
Would also appreciate a link if anyone has one :)
sadgayclown.tumblr.com :lesbianheart:
fioebae
drama llama

anna_begins wrote: Mon Jun 28, 2021 3:25 am Changing subjects but has anyone spotted a recording floating around of today's Dan/John Green event yet? I've been seeing some quotes/screenshots/gifs and it looks like it was really interesting. What I wouldn't give for a Dan and John podcast, I love them together so much.
I saw that the link to rewatch would be sent to ticket holders 48 hours after the event so that’s when I imagine recordings will come to the surface. At least I hope so anyway! Nerdfighteria and the Phandom have been my two biggest fandoms since about 2008, it’s always a joy to see therm cross over
starsandshards
living flop

i... didn't love it. my first, immediate thoughts when it was over: self-indulgent, not massively funny, though emotional in parts.

i guess because it was more of a youtube production than a dan production...? other people have said it much more eloquently than i can, and hats off to them. i didn't completely hate it. there were nice parts. i liked that dan gets all fjksafkjasjkf in front of a celeb just like we do (breathe, pls). smashing shit to i will survive did make me laugh.

i was also a member of the crew of phannies who had no idea it was actually dan playing teenager dan. with the posture and the pouting i initially thought it was PHIL, which is hilarious.
susan2
rainbow nerd

Tornbetweenfandoms wrote: Mon Jun 28, 2021 6:08 am
anna_begins wrote: Mon Jun 28, 2021 3:25 am
Would also appreciate a link if anyone has one :)
Ktn
placenta

Not sure what’s making me dust off this account and log in to say this… but I’m also in the ‘ehhh, didn’t love it’ camp. I do think Dan should be proud of the work put into this, but I also agree with what others who have mildly criticised it have said.

None of it hit right, there were nice and poignant bits, but the pacing was off. Some bits dragged on forever, others seemed rushed and none of it really seemed to get across what Dan was going for, in my mind. It also just came off as very self indulgent and I didn’t find that, for an hour, very engaging or funny.

The jokes about sleeping with other people and getting STDs rubbed me the wrong way too. I can recall him making similar jokes once or twice before and it’s just very dismissive of Phil/their whole history and really confusing to an audience – what impression of their situation is he trying to give here? As someone else said, if I saw this and didn't know any better I’d think Dan was a single guy looking for some. (Disclaimer: I fully recognise this is just something I hold a particularly strong view on, I’m just an outsider looking in and it wouldn’t be joked about if it was actually an issue etc etc)

I appear to be the only person who hated the fan segment. I was cringing so hard I had to leave the video and come back 5 minutes later (I almost didn’t come back at all I was so unimpressed with it up until then), just everything about it set my teeth on edge, I'm not really even sure why!

To end on something light… I really liked the fairy godmother-y bit and also had to do several double takes during the emo segment as I thought it was Phil playing Dan! :D
liola
rankussy

I don't think anyone is surprised that I didn't like this...video? It doesn't feel like a video to me, even though it technically is, but i can't quite express why. Just.. if i have to pinpoint one moment i maybe enjoyed, it's the bit with the fans, but even then left me with a bitter taste because it seemed picked to pretend like it was a fair representation but it was still all white and very young, and they didn't help with the messages (though all my love to Charlotte)

The whole thing about Will Young felt like it might have had a point but it got lost somewhere and then it was so long you couldn't even remember what the hell it was supposed to be. The whole convo felt like it should've been had in a cafe over coffee or a cocktail, not in front of camera, because it kept circling back and concepts were repeated without ever landing and it made me think over and over when it would end and why was it so long and what were they even saying?

The Tyler and Abigail bit would've been lovely if they were longer or more articulated but they were thrown in there for 5 minutes each and they again never seemed to land. The young Dan Moment was fine but i didn't feel the emotions that he probably wanted to elicit, it just felt rushed and almost mocking?

Like, all in all happy for him, hope he enjoyed doing it, but it was just another thing that made me realize that i just don't like Daniel Howell The Entrainer. I can't even blame the production or the editing because my problem lies in the script that he wrote, the jokes he decided to make like the whole things about making out with strangers like random sex is the only thing important or that he really thinks it's more valuable to feel true to himself than a 10 years long stable relationship. I'm not even gonna touch the STDs jokes because i don't think that's something people should joke about like it's not something you should try and avoid because hello, your sexual health is important?? Why talk about STDs like it's something fun that you should explore once in your life? You wanna joke about casual sex please do so while mentioning protections.

Phil's presence i liked, because well, I'm Phil trash, and while his acting is in no way better than Dan because they're both atrocious, he makes it feel like his awkwardness is part of his character while Dan sounds like a theatre kid who is trying really hard for the seasonal recital and takes himself too seriously.
Also i rolled my eyes at the idea that the partner you had for 10 years is a temptation that keeps you away from "serious things" and also it made me wish Phil would have the opportunities to do things with the same level of production, but hopefully better executed.

I think i just have to accept that I like Dan when it's Dan AND Phil, and not Dan as a creator by himself, especially if this is the direction he wants to go in.

Okay rant over sorry back to my shadow
Will probably never be over the BONCAS and the beauty of Phil Lester.

Official Moving Hill Mayor
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

liola wrote: Mon Jun 28, 2021 4:06 pm I don't think anyone is surprised that I didn't like this...video? It doesn't feel like a video to me, even though it technically is, but i can't quite express why. Just.. if i have to pinpoint one moment i maybe enjoyed, it's the bit with the fans, but even then left me with a bitter taste because it seemed picked to pretend like it was a fair representation but it was still all white and very young, and they didn't help with the messages (though all my love to Charlotte)

The whole thing about Will Young felt like it might have had a point but it got lost somewhere and then it was so long you couldn't even remember what the hell it was supposed to be. The whole convo felt like it should've been had in a cafe over coffee or a cocktail, not in front of camera, because it kept circling back and concepts were repeated without ever landing and it made me think over and over when it would end and why was it so long and what were they even saying?

The Tyler and Abigail bit would've been lovely if they were longer or more articulated but they were thrown in there for 5 minutes each and they again never seemed to land. The young Dan Moment was fine but i didn't feel the emotions that he probably wanted to elicit, it just felt rushed and almost mocking?
I felt a high of just seeing Dan on my screen again and that definitely left me with immediate positive reactions. Upon rewatch... not so much? I enjoyed the last fifteen minutes or so of it more than the rest so I don't have any complaints there, but I definitely agree with everything else. I wonder if Will Young was really Dan's choice or if they gave him guidelines about who to involve? He did tie into Dan's story well but it did feel like a conversation that didn't really serve the scenario they were there to talk about very well. And the fan bit: not the fault of the fans chosen at all, but knowing how scripted it was and how it really failed to represent diversity in phandom... meh.

Dan saying it was all filmed in one day makes a lot of it make sense. Youtube really half-assed this special and I think it did a disservice to everyone involved. Dan's script might have worked pretty well if perhaps they'd given him someone professional to write it with (if he'd have gone for that) or if they'd had time to do multiple passes of some things. I'd love to know when it was filmed because if the editors also had a short turnaround for a finish product then even giving them more time might have helped.

I'm glad Dan got to do something like this if it breaks the ice in terms of him using his youtube channel. If not... eh. At least it's directing some money at charities that need it. But now that timestamps are done, I don't think I'll rewatch.

(Okay, maybe I'll Dan breaking stuff to I Will Survive. But not the rest.)
Birdie
blobfish
Pronouns: they/them

liola wrote:Like, all in all happy for him, hope he enjoyed doing it, but it was just another thing that made me realize that i just don't like Daniel Howell The Entrainer.
I don't think I realised this before reading your post but I feel the same. I like Dan but I don't like the direction he seems to want to go in with his content and humour. My favourite Dan was always silly, story-time Dan who could just really tell a good anecdote (he still can judged by the glue video). But I also want him to just make the content he wants to make so I guess that just sucks for me then, lol.
glitterintheair
phillluminati

I already made peace with the fact that the chances of me enjoying Dan content at this point are very slim, which is fine. I can live with that. My biggest issue is that I just don’t like who he becomes when he’s on his own channel. I like him on AP, I liked him on stereo. The Dan we see on dinof seems completely another person to me, to the point that it makes me wonder “which is the real Dan?” Is It the guy who makes divorce jokes with Phil on a livestream, or is he the guy who talks about sleeping with every man in London? I just.. pretty much over this “depressed and horny” phase he keeps pushing in every single thing he does. I am not saying that sex jokes are bad, but when it’s the main thing you talk about, it becomes too much.
I'm a winter flower underground, always thirsty for summer rain.
liola
rankussy

alittledizzy wrote: Mon Jun 28, 2021 4:27 pm (Okay, maybe I'll Dan breaking stuff to I Will Survive. But not the rest.)
Wait i forgot to talk about that ending, it made me laugh out loud but in a "wtf is going on" way and i actually couldn't believe THAT was the way he decided to end it. It's iconic, but also the fuck?
Will probably never be over the BONCAS and the beauty of Phil Lester.

Official Moving Hill Mayor
yellowsubmarine
hobbit hair

His latest insta post 🥰💕💕
He looks so proud of this particular project to be posting it everywhere so i'm just happy that he's enjoying it, however cringe it may be. I don't think he thinks it's cringe so good for him.

That shot with Phil tho.. slapping me would hurt less 😢
"Treat yourself, because you're special and you're worth it."