Dan & Phil Part 100: full-time internet homowners

Our two favourite full time internet nerds who never go outside!
inanerat
eclipse shirt
Pronouns: he/she/they

snoopysadie wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 12:17 am
qakie wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 9:52 pm Reminder that the youtube purge is happening in 3 days! If there's any unlisted videos that you want to preserve, now is your last chance to download them. Here is a comprehensive playlist of unlisted videos that may be getting privated on the 23rd
Hi! That list is great!
Mandy and I have been saving lots of videos and I actually came here to ask for something:
We've been downloading vids from main channels, second channels and the superamazingproject. I was wondering if anybody remembers a video or video series that had unlisted videos, please could you drop the name here?

The biggest ones we did were the Interactive Christmas Adventure (2009) and the Space Adventure (2009). Also all the ones named "???" from Christmas 2010 though I don't remember what that one was called (here's an example of the presents from that one: https://youtu.be/InI6jUXu9Mc).

Any video series names would be super helpful!
I'm so glad y'all are doing that!
Another series I can think of is the 'Epic Japanese Candy Time' videos! The poppin cooking one is listed on lessamazingphil but the other ones are unlisted with links in the AP video description.
:transheart: :transheart: :transheart:
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie
Pronouns: she/her

On the topic of IRL:

I got my Dan merch last week. The order was placed May 31, but it was clearly stated it wouldn't ship until June 21 so at least they get a point for communicating that. Considering something a pre-order is much nicer than just not getting any word on it and no ship notification for a month. That said, my order - which went through District Lines, so it was sent from Florida and I also live in the southeastern US - wasn't shipped until July 9 and I got it July 15. So... minus points for it being three weeks after they said it would ship when it actually did.

In terms of the stuff itself: I have to say, I really like the bag and the mug. Both of them feel way more high quality than the previous merch waves and I think this is where you can tell that when Dan and Phil make requests for the company, those things happen. The bag has a tag saying it's produced under global organic textile standards, and has a certification from the Soil Association on it, which is a charity that vets the sustainability of food and products. The mug had a sticker that says it's made in China, but it's better quality than their previous mugs and the shape of it and that there is coloring inside as well as out just gives the impression of it being nicer.

I did order some Phil stuff from his sale. It has not shipped yet (order placed July 8, so 18 days ago) and on the 16th I got an email saying that they oversold their stock of water bottles and were having more made. They asked if I wanted a refund or to wait for that to be dispatched. I responded asking if that meant my entire order wouldn't ship until the water bottle was made. No reply yet. (Well, a shiny new auto reply, I don't remember them having one before.)
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

And I'm gonna share all the replies because I love that tweet so much.

Levitating
#relatable

Two things: they/he's going out finally! Restrictions have been lifted and it's painfully hot these days, but we do know they've been wise enough to get an A/C in their new place <3 Lucky them!

As for the tweet.... :rainbowtears:
I also always want to smile at gay couples (I sometimes even see fathers/mothers) but I don't want make them feel like I'm fetishise (?) them, yet I also want to show them my gratitude for being "brave" :prideheart2: :prideheart2:
obvsly
#relatable

alittledizzy wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 4:54 pm They asked if I wanted a refund or to wait for that to be dispatched. I responded asking if that meant my entire order wouldn't ship until the water bottle was made. No reply yet. (Well, a shiny new auto reply, I don't remember them having one before.)
Where was your bestie Martyn when you needed an answer?!? :evil:
(not really angry lol just jealous as I know you happened to have your emails somehow replied by Martyn quite often hehe..)
Phantasy
woodland creature

alittledizzy wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 5:31 pm

I’m not trying to rain on the wholesome parade, but that last reply “wish 12 year old Phil could have seen this”, I wonder if he recognizes the bit of irony? Presumably Dan and he show no PDA whatsoever (to our knowledge) and I’m not shortchanging all they have done and continue to do for queer visibility and causes… but what about that 12yr old gay or questioning lad today that doesn’t know who Dan and Phil is, maybe seeing a gay couple in an everyday setting walk holding hands would make that same kind of impact today.
madytastic
dank meme

Phantasy wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 8:23 pm

I’m not trying to rain on the wholesome parade, but that last reply “wish 12 year old Phil could have seen this”, I wonder if he recognizes the bit of irony? Presumably Dan and he show no PDA whatsoever (to our knowledge) and I’m not shortchanging all they have done and continue to do for queer visibility and causes… but what about that 12yr old gay or questioning lad today that doesn’t know who Dan and Phil is, maybe seeing a gay couple in an everyday setting walk holding hands would make that same kind of impact today.
Well I feel like that's a bit unfair. Gay couples don't have a moral obligation to hold hands or make themselves visible in their day-to-day life in order to set an example for the youth, in the same way that queer people don't have a moral obligation to be out if they aren't ready. I think this comment has more to do with the way our culture has shifted. 12-year-old Phil might like to know that acceptance of gay people is gonna increase, proof that it gets better.
BlueSnoko
sofa crease

Phantasy wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 8:23 pm I’m not trying to rain on the wholesome parade, but that last reply “wish 12 year old Phil could have seen this”, I wonder if he recognizes the bit of irony?  Presumably Dan and he show no PDA whatsoever (to our knowledge) and I’m not shortchanging all they have done and continue to do for queer visibility and causes… but what about that 12yr old gay or questioning lad today that doesn’t know who Dan and Phil is, maybe seeing a gay couple in an everyday setting walk holding hands would make that same kind of impact today.

I don't  know your orientation or life experience. But that's victim blaming.

I understand where you're coming from. Visibility is important.  So why shouldn't it be expected?

I'm a queer person who struggled to understand this dichotomy, and worked through it with my (also queer) therapist.

Basically, it's analogous to coming out. It's a good thing to see, but you can't force people to do it if they feel unsafe. The onus should not be put on the oppressed or endangered population, but on the general population to create an environment in which visibility is and feels safe.  Dan expressed this overtly in his coming out video.

Yes visibility has been an effective  proactive strategy used by queer people to fight the stigma of their existence. But it's a chancy strategy. It risks violence and alienation.  Queer people die to this day because of visibility. It's not a strategy you can demand of a person.  The front lines are for volunteers.

This policy is clear when you think for example of a young person for whom visibility might mean homelessness.  With Dan and Phil you might say - "but they are grown men living in a major 1st world city where homosexuality is practically common place. "  But as Dan said in BIG, you can never assume you know everything about someone's live.

Don't forget they have expierence stalkers who sent them death threaths.  Dan experienced physical and psychological violence in his life connected to his sexuality - public pda may be something he is not emotionally capable of.  Dan and Phil's relationship was sexualized by the  strangers nearly from the beginning.  The sexualizing of lgbtq people and relationships has been linked to anxiety and depression.  There may be other factors we are not aware of.

Dan and Phil are providing visibility in the way that they feel safe doing.  They talk about celebrity crushes.  They share that they have built a forever home together. They talk about waiting outside an ambulance for the other at three in the morning. Maybe in the future what feels safe for them will change - but it's not something that can be asked.  

I try to be as visible as I can,  and it's not always as much as I'd like.  I worked with children for a good part of my adult life. I hid my sexual orientation because I was afraid it could effect my employment, change whether parents felt safe trusting me with their children. I too lived in a major, lgbtq friendly city. I regretted it when a child I was close to did not feel safe coming out to me, (I heard it from their parent)
but I don't blame myself.  I did what seemed best in the moment.  I try to be braver daily and help create a world that's safe for everyone.  But all I can do is take it moment by moment.  

Sorry for the extensive reply.  Please know I do not intend for this to be read as an attack, just a (lengthy) clarification on an issue I have experience with from both sides.  Love and Peace. -Snoke
The mauve ones are boys and the white ones are girls, and the blue ones are just little sillies who are not sure what they are. - J. M. Barrie
shan
morning quiff

I agree with the above posts but would like to throw in another perspective as someone who is also very private. Some people just don’t feel comfortable with PDA full stop. I love seeing queer people who feel comfortable visibly showing affection in public but that will never be something I can do. I’m not a particularly tactile person and I would be crawling out of my skin if a partner tried to do that with me, regardless of if the pairing was queer or straight presenting. For me, physical signs of affection is something I prefer to keep relatively private. PDA just isn’t it for some people and that’s ok!
Phantasy
woodland creature

Really appreciate the varied and unique perspectives. I suppose I should have nuanced my sentiments a bit more to highlight the irony factor (the way too simply deconstructed “hey, Phil, you could put out into the world and be the representation that a young Phil would have been inspired to see”). That’s shortsighted.

In my mind I was emphasizing their expressed choice not to display themselves as a romantic couple in a public sense (aka, not-Kardashians) and therefore make a calculated (not necessarily emotional) decision not to express PDA for that reason primarily—I did not factor that there could of course be a multitude of reasons why they (or anyone else) may not feel comfortable or capable or ready for PDA.
inanerat
eclipse shirt

Man this is the most relatable tweet ever. It just fills me with a certain indescribable joy to see other people casually expressing queerness out and about. Also this reply especially because I'm always going through it in my head thinking about how to reassure them that they are safe around me with out being weird.

Also, while I really appreciated all of Snoke's post, this part really stood out to me
BlueSnoko wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 2:04 am Dan and Phil are providing visibility in the way that they feel safe doing.  They talk about celebrity crushes.  They share that they have built a forever home together. They talk about waiting outside an ambulance for the other at three in the morning. Maybe in the future what feels safe for them will change - but it's not something that can be asked.  
I sometimes get caught up in thoughts about how I could/should be doing more for my community, expressing myself more, talking about issues more, etc. and this really hit with me personally, as well as a reminder about dnp that the work we do to help our community, be visible, start productive conversations, etc. is vast and nearly unending and laden with intense personal connections and often trauma. We do what we can at any given point in time and that is more than good enough.

Also also, this tweet once again just makes me sad thinking about some of the experiences (both generic romantical and queer community stuff) that has not been/is not possible for dnp. It's not really necessarily that it's something they would do if they had the chance, like Shan mentioned some things are just not some people's cup of tea but it's that they've never been in the place for it to be a choice based on just that and not overwhelmed by layers of closetedness and privacy online. Makes me fucking sad. A little bit angry for them. It also makes me think about how it's something I would love to hear their thoughts on, although I have no expectations of that from them.

This line of thought also lead me back to something I was thinking about a few months ago about how dnp have to consider the ramifications of how they express their relationship not only to us as a core fandom audience but to much wider media, who could use anything more concrete that they did or said for a good headline to bring in the clicks. Some part of me really wonders, if it was just the sort of core fandom audience and dnp if things would be different. Because it's not that people who were big fans, parts of the fandom or core audience haven't hurt them. Many boundaries have been crossed over the years, some that were known and still crossed on purpose and plenty that people (maybe even depz themselves) weren't aware of until they were crossed. But at this point I feel like there is a general understanding from the fandom of the weight that this stuff holds, as well as the general assumption at this point that they are together in a date-y way, not just a friends-and-collaborators way. I feel like if they were seen doing something like holding hands the reaction on here and stan twitter would be along the lines of 'asldjfal;sjf omg (initial shock and little bit of fangirling)' followed by 'holy shit we love you both so much (settling and acknowledging the weight that it would hold)' that would have one big wave lasting a few days followed by occationall 'wow is this real' moments, similar to their coming out. And honestly while it's probably not ideal I feel like dnp might be mostly okay with that at this point. I feel like the following waves in further out circles is what would feel worse: old fans or youtube fans with peripheral knowledge of them being like 'wow i can't believe it' or 'haha i thought this was already canon', not necessarily intentionally being hurtful but lacking thoughtfulness and takt around the shit that depz have gone through about their sexualities and relationship both on and offline. And then things like gossipy media news articles that rejoice at the chance to get attention from a 'phan is finally real??!!1!' headline with no understanding of the complicated details underneath.

That turned into a more wandering topic rant than I intended sozzle.

In other news we haven't seen Phil's (or Dan's tbf) face in over a week with no viddy and few to no insta stories and fuCK do I miss Phil's face. I am consoling myself with hopes provided by his members post tease about doing something that involved going outside of London and this tweet involving being out and about that maybe some juicy things are cooking. But also I just miss Phil's face.
BlueSnoko
sofa crease

qakie wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 9:52 pm Reminder that the youtube purge is happening in 3 days! If there's any unlisted videos that you want to preserve, now is your last chance to download them. Here is a comprehensive playlist of unlisted videos that may be getting privated on the 23rd
Hi! That list is great!
Mandy and I have been saving lots of videos and I actually came here to ask for something:
We've been downloading vids from main channels, second channels and the superamazingproject. I was wondering if anybody remembers a video or video series that had unlisted videos, please could you drop the name here?

This tumblr is a directory of every Amazingphil, Danisnotonfire, LessAmazingPhil and Danisnotinteresting video, and they list every video's status - listed or unlisted.

https://danandphilvideocatalogue.tumblr.com/MobileLinks

QUESTION.

I would like to download some unlisted vids, I am finally in a place where I can take that time, but I do not know how to save a YouTube video to one's computer nowadays. I used to do it all the time in like, 2007. Does one still need to use a third party website?

Thanks!
Last edited by lefthandedism on Wed Jul 21, 2021 12:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The mauve ones are boys and the white ones are girls, and the blue ones are just little sillies who are not sure what they are. - J. M. Barrie
inanerat
eclipse shirt

BlueSnoko wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 6:58 am QUESTION.

I would like to download some unlisted vids, I am finally in a place where I can take that time, but I do not know how to save a YouTube video to one's computer nowadays. I used to do it all the time in like, 2007. Does one still need to use a third party website?

Thanks!
I use a program called '4K Video Downloader' which I think is a pretty common one. It's free and safe as far as I am aware, only limitation is 30 video downloads/day.
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

alittledizzy wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 4:54 pm On the topic of IRL:

I got my Dan merch last week. The order was placed May 31, but it was clearly stated it wouldn't ship until June 21 so at least they get a point for communicating that. Considering something a pre-order is much nicer than just not getting any word on it and no ship notification for a month. That said, my order - which went through District Lines, so it was sent from Florida and I also live in the southeastern US - wasn't shipped until July 9 and I got it July 15. So... minus points for it being three weeks after they said it would ship when it actually did.

In terms of the stuff itself: I have to say, I really like the bag and the mug. Both of them feel way more high quality than the previous merch waves and I think this is where you can tell that when Dan and Phil make requests for the company, those things happen. The bag has a tag saying it's produced under global organic textile standards, and has a certification from the Soil Association on it, which is a charity that vets the sustainability of food and products. The mug had a sticker that says it's made in China, but it's better quality than their previous mugs and the shape of it and that there is coloring inside as well as out just gives the impression of it being nicer.

I did order some Phil stuff from his sale. It has not shipped yet (order placed July 8, so 18 days ago) and on the 16th I got an email saying that they oversold their stock of water bottles and were having more made. They asked if I wanted a refund or to wait for that to be dispatched. I responded asking if that meant my entire order wouldn't ship until the water bottle was made. No reply yet. (Well, a shiny new auto reply, I don't remember them having one before.)
Update on this: I got a reply back confirming the entire order will not ship until the water bottle is in to... wait for it... save on postage! I just love the irony of them making customers wait in order to save on postage on their end when they charge higher shipping than any other company I've bought from in the past few years. Even international ones.

obvsly wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 6:44 pm
alittledizzy wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 4:54 pm They asked if I wanted a refund or to wait for that to be dispatched. I responded asking if that meant my entire order wouldn't ship until the water bottle was made. No reply yet. (Well, a shiny new auto reply, I don't remember them having one before.)
Where was your bestie Martyn when you needed an answer?!? :evil:
(not really angry lol just jealous as I know you happened to have your emails somehow replied by Martyn quite often hehe..)
LMAO! Maybe I should have hit him up directly.
oblongdisposition
dank meme
Pronouns: She/her

Hi! That list is great!

The biggest ones we did were the Interactive Christmas Adventure (2009) and the Space Adventure (2009). Also all the ones named "???" from Christmas 2010 though I don't remember what that one was called (here's an example of the presents from that one: https://youtu.be/InI6jUXu9Mc).

Any video series names would be super helpful!
I found this site that has several unlisted videos I hadn’t seen before. You can search by channel name
https://unlistedvideos.com/searchm.php?user=AmazingPhil
snoopysadie
pumpkin spice pumpkin cookie

thank you guys!
anything helps!
"I still remember... the first day I met you."
"I remember it, too"
snoopysadie

sorry for the double post but i came across this and before it gets taken down in 2 days i want to share it cause why not:

Dan tries to explain the difference between a Google Hangout and a regular hangout to Jacques Perreti, a British journalist (I just found this out).

Chris and Lex behind laughing did it for me.
Last edited by lefthandedism on Thu Jul 22, 2021 2:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: fixed youtube embed
"I still remember... the first day I met you."
"I remember it, too"
Amiaw
interactive introvert

DNP are apparently filming a video in Rossendale right now according to twitter
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

Amiaw wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 4:21 pm DNP are apparently filming a video in Rossendale right now according to twitter
Oooooohhhhh. I wonder what they're filming??

Ugh please let it be something DITL-esque. That'd be amazing. (Obviously not a classic ditl but just... give me those vloggy style clips please.)
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

kavat
pastel persona

Oh man, I didn't realize how much I had missed the sightings in the wild over the past couple of years. Exciting!!

The talk about crew and vans is very interesting. Is Phil also doing something with Youtube perhaps? Or the old pals at BBC?
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

kavat wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 5:09 pm Oh man, I didn't realize how much I had missed the sightings in the wild over the past couple of years. Exciting!!

The talk about crew and vans is very interesting. Is Phil also doing something with Youtube perhaps? Or the old pals at BBC?
I am the tiniest bit wary that we haven't seen any pics despite people spotting them. Someone share the goods, it's not like we all don't care around personal cameras 24/7!
howadorableright

alittledizzy wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 5:15 pm
kavat wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 5:09 pm Oh man, I didn't realize how much I had missed the sightings in the wild over the past couple of years. Exciting!!

I am the tiniest bit wary that we haven't seen any pics despite people spotting them. Someone share the goods, it's not like we all don't care around personal cameras 24/7!
ooo this is juicy i also missed the out in the wild sightings aw

a little part of me is sad that it’s a full blown production bc my selfish side wants them to just vlog and be less produced but new joint content is exciting !!!
back back back back again
Amiaw
interactive introvert

no location but a spotting
rizzo
unduly facetious
unduly facetious

I have so many questions!!!! But also like, this could be a #spon for kitchen sponges and the fact that they are filming together at a second location is enough for me to be absolutely THRILLED AND EXCITED!!!!

YAASSSS!!! DAN AND PHIL CONTENT!!!!

Ok. I'll chill now.

ETA - Here's a list of immediate random thoughts that popped into my head upon hearing about this:
  • Official camera crews? Is this a show with multiple "episodes"? Video series? The home-flipping special we thought might never happen??! It just feels like a camera crew isn't something you use for a single youtube video, ya know? Which brings me to...
  • Is this.. like.... a committed project from them as a duo? Can I get excited about that? Everything else has felt like a one-off since the gaming channel. I want this to... not be, ya know? Might cry. It's fine.
  • You're gonna need your tin hat for this bullet: Is this in anyway deep or emotional? Some relationship reveals? A proposal? ARE THEY GETTING A DOG?
  • Agreed with kavat, I've really missed them getting caught out in the wild. Nature truly is healing.
:rainbowtears: